HPRE

Menu

Members Rides

Pick up in South Philly

in
Members Rides

53 Guests, 0 Users
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 18, 2014, 03:31:03 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: LiPO batteries  (Read 183 times)

abstruse1

• Neophyte
LiPO batteries
« on: December 03, 2013, 08:59:53 AM »
Someone posted a question about lithium batteries, but I can't find it.  Anyway, here's my experience.

I have a 2014 RE and replaced the lead acid battery with a Shorai LFX14L2-BS12 lithium battery, rated at 210CCA and 14AH.  This battery worked okay but was marginal, esp. in 30 degree weather.

So I replaced it with an Antigravity "small case 12-cell" battery, rated at 360CA (note -- they don't use the term "CCA") and 12AH.  It's advertised to replace a 12AH lead acid batttery.  Measures 4.5" x 3.1" x 4.3" and weighs ~2 lbs.

So far, so good, but I haven't tried it in 30 degree wealther.  I think it'll work fine.
Abstruse1
Dallas, TX USA
    Burnin' gas on two wheels for 50 years and still lookin' for a better way!

enfielddan

• Neophyte
Re: LiPO batteries
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2013, 11:20:40 PM »
Why did you decide to go with an Antigravity battery instead of other batteries; such as, Shorai, Ballistic, or Motobatt?  Does Antigravy have a battery that is rated at least 14AH that would fit the RE.  One person wrote in this forum but in another topic that the correct replacement battery should be 16.5AH. 

I will soon need to replace the original battery in my 2012 C5 with a sidecar.  Does anyone have the measurements of the original battery for this model (because I have read that it is a tight fit and hard to remove) and I would need a smaller one to ensure an easy installation and proper fit?
« Last Edit: December 05, 2013, 03:49:25 PM by enfielddan »

barenekd

• Grand Gearhead
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2013, 01:12:51 PM »
The standard battery isn't that hard to remove. It's just getting past the wiring that is a pain. Any battery that matches the stock size is fine. I used a Deka AGM YTX14AHL-BS in my G5. It was a great battery.
Bare
2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Racer
2011 Black Classic G5 (RIP)
I refuse to tiptoe through life only to arrive safely at death
http://www.controllineplans.com

abstruse1

• Neophyte
« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2013, 04:37:54 PM »
I looked at Shorai and other LiPO batteries and the Antigravity seemed to make smaller ones in whatever AH needed.  I've relocated the battery anyway (custom holder) so size and weight were important to me.
Abstruse1
Dallas, TX USA
    Burnin' gas on two wheels for 50 years and still lookin' for a better way!