HPRE

Menu

Members Rides

Scots Bullet at John O Groats

in
Members Rides

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
October 31, 2014, 04:43:29 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Spark Plug  (Read 10142 times)

Kruiser

• Bulleteer
Spark Plug
« on: March 15, 2009, 08:40:39 PM »
It seems like the spark plug cap on my Electra will only fit on the narrower threaded style terminal
nut  type plugs.  Will I need  a different spark plug wire and cap to fit the "standard" type spark plug terminal?   I tried pushing it on there pretty good, but the standard type seemed too wide.

Thanks

Blue Ridge Wheeltor

• Grand Gearhead
Re: Spark Plug
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2009, 09:05:38 PM »
Not sure I understand this question. A picture would help.

Are you saying the metal head on the plug is too wide, and you need the threaded type?

Doesn't the cap unscrew?
REA #25
2008 Royal Enfield Deluxe (Blue)
2006 Ural Patrol
1978 BMW R 100s--SOLD--
1977 HD XLCR
1971 Triumph Bonneville

Kruiser

• Bulleteer
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2009, 09:13:04 PM »
Not sure I understand this question. A picture would help.

Are you saying the metal head on the plug is too wide, and you need the threaded type?

Doesn't the cap unscrew?

It sure does, thanks!  Didn't know to do that, this is the 1st motorcycle I've even done any maintenance on.  Thanks.

RBHoge

• Old Bill
  • Grease Monkey
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2009, 10:34:17 PM »
I am growing less and less fond of the NGK spark plugs which RE uses as OEM. Shucks, I have been through five of the BR 8 ES PLUGS  and none of them have lasted more than a hundred and fifty miles.  I have a pair of Champion RN 2 C plugs on order at Autozone. (They had a half case of the NGK on hand, but I don't think that I will try something that has let me down so miserably again.)  I just hope that the Champions work better.

I don't think that I am getting a weak spark, as I have just changed over to the "Bosch" coil, and "simple electronic ignition." from Classic Motor Works. After the change over to electronic, the bike ran like a dream, and started easily enough, but after a hundred miles, the bike began to miss, and pop. It wasn't strong at all. The next day, NOTHING ! I have pulled the plug and tried to crank the bike with the plug grounded on the cylinder, but get no spark.

This is the same symptom of failure which I experienced four times before. PHOOIE on NGK!!!
1972 Honda CB 450 Rufus, Murdered
1978 Triumph T-140 E, Sadly gone
2008 Royal Enfield Deluxe Iron head, " Old Bill"
1971 Honda CB-100,"Kikuchiyo"-traded
O Day 20 Sailboat "Tempus Fugative"
1992 Mazda Miata "Lady Murisaki"250,00miles!
Too many Toys, what else is retirement for?

t120rbullet

• Grand Gearhead
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2009, 12:15:56 AM »
Those RN 2 C plugs might be a tad bit on the cold side for a Bullet (you didn't say what model you have). I have had OK results with Champion N3C and N4C plugs though I still feel that NGK makes a better plug.
I've always felt Champion was at the bottom of the food chain when it came to sparkplugs.
NGK does make better plugs than the Standard BR8ES and I have had real good luck with the BR8EIX plug.
What exactly isn't lasting on your plugs?
If it's fouling out with oil or too much fuel then the problem does not lie with the plug itself but is a tuning issue. If the electrode is burning off then again it's not the fault of the plug but could be that the coil polarity is backwards or a timing issue.

« Last Edit: April 12, 2009, 01:33:02 AM by t120rbullet »
1999 Enfield 500 Black Deluxe "Silver"
2012 Concours 14 (no name yet)
2013 Royal Star Venture S  "Jelly Roll"

UncleErnie

• Grand Gearhead
« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2009, 12:55:22 AM »
I have to think something else is going on as a result of the component changes.
I changed plugs at 1500 miles just for the heck of it.  So far, I have over 700 miles on the new plug.  Took it out for a look yesterday and it's a pleasant tan colour. 
Double check all your connections AND your battery. -like age and fluid level.
« Last Edit: April 12, 2009, 12:56:53 AM by UncleErnie »
Run what ya brung

Blue Ridge Wheeltor

• Grand Gearhead
« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2009, 01:47:22 AM »
I was talking with a Ural mechanic and a triumph old school mechanic. Both indicated that when a NGK dies, it's gone, but the Champion just has to be pulled out and cleaned/dried off and used again.
REA #25
2006 Ural Patrol
1978 BMW R 100s--SOLD--
1977 HD XLCR
1971 Triumph Bonneville

RBHoge

• Old Bill
  • Grease Monkey
« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2009, 02:14:16 AM »
Don't think that I will try the OEM NGK plugs again! The iridium plugs possibly, After the first fifty or so miles, the OEM plugs look good enough. (Not enough time to get the good rich 'tan' color) by the time the plug fails and sputters to be a useless piece of junk, the tip is glossy black and fuel soaked which I attribute to the lousy or non existant combustion. A meter reading shows NO continuity between the tip of the electrode, and the stem. (There should be a straight circuit, or a bit of resistance, but in fact there is no circuit at all.) I will give the Champions a try tomorrow when they come in. and report later. I might need the "hotter" 3C or 4C plugs, but first I need to get the bike running and enjoy the spring weather on my "modern antique. :-\"

RBHoge

• Old Bill
  • Grease Monkey
« Reply #8 on: April 12, 2009, 02:17:49 AM »
B.T.W. The bike is a 2008 "Deluxe" (Old  Style Iron engine)

GreenMachine

• Grand Gearhead
« Reply #9 on: April 12, 2009, 02:26:41 AM »
have a 06 iron and have almost 5 k on the original plug..its OEM NGK....Is the bike stock with 28m Micarb or have you rejetted and changed your exhaust..Only asking as the glossy black and fuel soaked plug  is indicating the carb is set up wrong or a float problem in the carb allowing too much fuel to pass thru.....just a thought.......yes a spark check on the plug would be helpful to verify too...
Oh Magoo you done it again

RBHoge

• Old Bill
  • Grease Monkey
« Reply #10 on: April 12, 2009, 07:19:23 PM »
Yep, the bike has the stock "Mikuni Type" carb. When I went to the Short Exhaust pipe (great sound when it runs) I went to the next size larger in Jets. but I think that it might still be a tad lean. In the next few minutes I will go to the store and pick up the Champions. More later.

RBHoge

• Old Bill
  • Grease Monkey
« Reply #11 on: April 12, 2009, 10:55:35 PM »
Got the Champion in and the bike was happily ticking over with the first kick!  Rode around the neighborhood for about fifteen minutes. Happy ! Happy ! Joy ! Joy! "Old Bill" is back !!!!!!! I would have given it a longer run, but clouds have been piling up since noon, and there were a few lightning flashes on the Southwestern horizon.

I'm no chicken (as a motorcycle police officer back in the seventies I rode through some real nightmares of weather.) Now, as a retired old f@rt I don't have to.

I will report more on the Champion Plug as I get more miles on it. NGK can go away !

RBHoge

• Old Bill
  • Grease Monkey
« Reply #12 on: April 13, 2009, 01:38:19 PM »
In reply to "Uncle Earnie's" post. The bike went through the first four NGK plugs while in "out of the box" stock condition. The first one went out at 120 miles. the second only made about seventy. Third died after less than a hundred, four went north after only twenty. This was when I decided to change out the coil and points for the Blue Bosch coil and "Simple Electronic Ignition." I had the local dealer (130 miles away in Chattanooga) install the ignition upgrade. After the upgrade the bike ran perfectly for awhile. As reported in my earlier posts, the fifth NGK plug was pulled after fifty miles and looked OK for a "new" plug. fifty more miles and the bike began to misfire and grow weak. I limped home the next day my pride and joy was more of an anchor than a vehicle. >:(

The new Champion plug fired up the bike on the first kick and ran well for a fifteen minute test ride.  The weatherman predicts some severe thunderstorms here in Murfreesboro so it might be another day or two before I can get out on the road and try to break the hundred and twenty mile NGK plug record.  :-\

Blue Ridge Wheeltor

• Grand Gearhead
« Reply #13 on: April 13, 2009, 03:07:50 PM »
RB,
FYI, in McMinnville there is a shop called Cyclerama. The owner, Tom Cass, is an old time Brit bike mechanic. He used to be a RE dealer, and still sells Urals. Lot closer than Chattanooga, and he's a pretty good guy.
REA #25
2006 Ural Patrol
1978 BMW R 100s--SOLD--
1977 HD XLCR
1971 Triumph Bonneville

RBHoge

• Old Bill
  • Grease Monkey
« Reply #14 on: April 13, 2009, 05:02:37 PM »
Blue Ridge Wheeltor,

Thanks for the info on Cyclerama. Next time I have a problem, I will pay him a visit. The last trip to Chattanooga with my RE on the trailer I realized that The bike had more miles on the trailer or in the bed of my pick up than on the speedometer. ;)
There is also an Enfield / Ural dealer in Waynesboro. About the same distance as Chattanooga, but not over good roads.  Chatt. is Interstate almost all the way. (Although there are four miles of Georgia Interstate 24 which are darn near as rough as a logging road) ::)