HPRE

Menu

Members Rides

Harris Scrambler with Alloy Tank and Trials Tires RS

in
Members Rides

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 29, 2015, 03:35:24 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: cant get my bullet to ping  (Read 201 times)

guss,guss

• Bulleteer
  • picture is not actual member
cant get my bullet to ping
« on: May 03, 2015, 02:35:01 PM »
OK. all this talk about ping, i wanted to double check mine.
 i have the stock micarb. 30 pilot, 125 , and P2.  K&N pancake filter . i had been running with a small baffle in it but last fall i got a new after market shorty to replace the old rusty system and i decided the neighbors could handle the extra sound so i left the baffle out. to counter the no baffle i moved the needle to one notch from center up, more rich.(clip down, needle up)  the new  exhaust rusted already so i got a good one made in England while the sale was on. before i put that one on i wanted to check the ping.(when i got the bike the PO had it fully retarded for some reason)  i had set it with the shop light and TDC finder, then advanced a little.
 i advanced the timing and cant get it to ping. i backed it to center, lowered the needle to one notch below center,(clip up one from center) less rich.tried again. its fully advanced and still no ping. 4th gear, up hill, 50 mph, give it gas and no ping. >:(
 any suggestions would be appreciated.
kill em all.  let God sort them out.

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
  • World leaders in performance/racing Bullets
Re: cant get my bullet to ping
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2015, 02:42:47 PM »
It could be that the slot in the points plate is not allowing the timing to be moved far enoufh advanced to get pinging. This can be changed by somebody who really knows what they are doing.

Another possibility is that the advance weights are stuck, or not able to fully swing out to full advance. They should be checked for proper function and properly lubricated.

Bullet Whisperer

• Grand Gearhead
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2015, 03:39:30 PM »
If you can open up in 4th up hill and accelerate from 50mph, it is tempting to say your Bullet is going quite well and is pretty happy with life. Perhaps it won't 'ping' [or 'pink' as we know it over here], because your compression ratio and state of tune are fairly soft [standard?] and it is all in pretty good shape?
 Just a thought  ;)
 B.W.

guss,guss

• Bulleteer
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2015, 03:58:03 PM »
 the advance waits are free and springs are there.they go out and come back. i just put points in recently and i always bring the plate inside and work on the table. i checked them then.
 and, it does run pretty good now. it idled a little ruff when i had it all the way advanced. i think i will dial it back a hair and live with it.  I  like the idea of it being happy too.
i would be really happy if i could get my hands on one of those nifty ACE air canisters i see. they look great. Ace. please PM me and let me know how to get one. Ive tried sending you a message but they don't go through. my out box is empty. 
thanks guys.

cafeman

• Grease Monkey
« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2015, 04:30:39 PM »
One thing worth checking is how much total advance you are getting. I used a degree wheel, a dial indicator to set the piston at .8 btdc and test light to set the static timing yet I was getting well over 50 degrees advance total. Pulled things apart and the rotating plate slot was indented quite a bit from the advance "pin" hitting it. This is common it seems, yet I had no idea it would advance that much! I used some epoxy steel putty to fill in the weights slots and filed the epoxy until I got approx 32 degrees full advance. If one has a worn plate and ping times that would be fine but then static timing would be really retarded in that case. Or if one sets the static timing they could possibly have too much total. Better to measure everything and ensure no worn or damaged parts in some cases.
Current Fleet: 2001 Royal Enfield Bullet 500 Cafe Racer
                     1996 Yamaha Seca II
                     1991 Husqvarna 350WXE
                     1991 KTM 250MX
                     2004 Husqvarna TC450

mrunderhill1975a

• Grand Gearhead
« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2015, 04:50:13 PM »
what is your elevation?  At 5000 ft I was never able to make the bullet ping.

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2015, 04:59:50 PM »
what is your elevation?  At 5000 ft I was never able to make the bullet ping.
That's a good point, mrunderhill!

REpozer

• Superfly and
  • Grand Gearhead
« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2015, 05:12:29 PM »
One more thing to check.
With aging and being around running machinery, tendenightus ( ringing ears) won't allow you to hear the pinging.
Might need to mount a microphone or Go Pro to the engine and play it back.
Maybe have a wife/ girlfriend to ride pillon up hill with you.
2008 AVL Classic Bullet in British Racing Green
REA # 84 ( the first time)

guss,guss

• Bulleteer
« Reply #8 on: May 03, 2015, 06:03:19 PM »
OK, i am at 815 ft.
 cafeman confused me. i know where the plate screws and slots are. but all that epoxying weight slots, rotating plate slot was indented? lost me.
 once i got pulled over in my truck. the cop said when i went round the last curve the passenger door flew open and my wife fell out. i said , " thank god that's all, i thought i had gone deaf".  ;D  thanks pozer, i can still hear.
« Last Edit: May 03, 2015, 07:46:02 PM by guss,guss »

gapl1953

• Neophyte
« Reply #9 on: Today at 09:59:14 AM »
Maybe I'm missing something, but why do you want it to ping (pre-ignite)?
A engine that pings is not a good thing, you can hole a piston.

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
« Reply #10 on: Today at 10:22:23 AM »
Maybe I'm missing something, but why do you want it to ping (pre-ignite)?
A engine that pings is not a good thing, you can hole a piston.
You don't.
But you can use the ping as an indicator that the timing is too advanced, and adjust the timing to avoid it.