HPRE

Menu

Members Rides

Emmets Enfield

in
Members Rides

47 Guests, 3 Users
Blltrdr, heloego, ace.cafe
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
December 21, 2014, 06:07:34 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Short to Ground !  (Read 715 times)

Blltrdr

• Grand Gearhead
  • cycle-delic music
Re: Short to Ground !
« Reply #15 on: October 30, 2014, 02:17:21 AM »
If the new alternator is defective why would you not send it back and have them send you another one? They are very good about correcting any bad parts. In fact they most likely would send you a shipping slip so you don't have to pay for the return shipping. You should not be buying another one.
2003 Classic 500 5 spd
1992 Kawasaki ZG 1200 Voyager XII
1977 Yamaha XS 360-2D (Cafe Project)

neil

• Bulleteer
  • Neil & Buzzy the Bullet
« Reply #16 on: November 22, 2014, 04:25:21 PM »
Per my last post, windings on the stator, with it mounted on the bike, test continuity to ground. I pulled it off the bike and checked again and there is no continuity to the frame the windings are mounted on. I put it back on the bike and bummer, continuity to ground again. I've checked closely inside the primary and can find nothing to indicate rubbing between stator windings and the case or it's internal parts. Obviously there must be some contact somewhere that I'm missing. I plan to leave the outer cover off and check with an ohmmeter to see if I can detect what is contacting the stator or it's windings to cause the failure. The stator pigtail which goes through the opening in the primary is brand new and there is no scratch or damage to it. I'm certain that is not the cause. If it's internal to the stator, I'll notify Enfield Gear that I'm returning it for credit and a replacement.

Neil and Buzzy the Bullet

Arizoni

• Grand Gearhead
  • "But it's a dry heat here in Arizona
« Reply #17 on: November 22, 2014, 09:26:56 PM »
Does this happen when the alternators wires are not connected to the bikes wiring harness but the unit is installed on the engine?

Several of my Iron Barrel wiring diagrams indicate there is a alternator wire that goes to ground thru the rectifier.
Jim
2011 G5 Deluxe
1999 Miata 10th Anniversary

azcatfan

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2002 Bullet ES
« Reply #18 on: November 23, 2014, 12:11:48 AM »
Does this happen when the alternators wires are not connected to the bikes wiring harness but the unit is installed on the engine?

Several of my Iron Barrel wiring diagrams indicate there is a alternator wire that goes to ground thru the rectifier.

That's why I mentioned my experience with the pig tail earlier in this thread.
-2002 Bullet ES Up-Jetted with Ace Air Canister and punched HD Exhaust.

neil

• Bulleteer
  • Neil & Buzzy the Bullet
« Reply #19 on: November 23, 2014, 04:10:09 PM »
Hi Azcatfan:
Yes, I disconnected the pig tail from the wiring loom and checked the connections thru the pigtail to ground. Mounted on the bike I get continuity to ground on both the violet wires and the yellow and orange leads. If I remove the stator from the 3 fasteners which hold it onto the bike, and check for continuity to ground or for continuity to the frame of the stator, no continuity. It seems to me some part of the wires wound on the stator are making connection with the primary cover or internal parts. To remove all other possibilities, I'm asking Enfield Gear to exchange it for a new one. If the same situation exists with a new one, I'll be stumped.

Neil and Buzzy the Bullet.

ps. I'm sure the rotor and the stator have a space between them so no short there.

azcatfan

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2002 Bullet ES
« Reply #20 on: November 23, 2014, 05:40:42 PM »
 :-\  Where the wires pass through the primary cover, have they frayed at all?
-2002 Bullet ES Up-Jetted with Ace Air Canister and punched HD Exhaust.