HPRE

Menu

Members Rides

1968 Rebuild

in
Members Rides

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
September 19, 2014, 11:58:33 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Coils  (Read 122 times)

FastEddy

• Neophyte
Coils
« on: September 12, 2014, 06:33:00 PM »
Does anyone know how much resistance is in a Bullet 500 coil? I have been trying to get this 2000 bullet in shape to ride again after sitting in a damp garage for who knows how long.Ive not been able to get fire to spark plug.It has a MKIII electronic ign,and the original coil.The coil reads 3ohm resist.on my digital meter set on 0-20 scale.Thats across the + & - with nothing connected to it(out of motorcycle).I thought I had found the problem with corrosion where spark plug wire plugged in top.I cleaned all that with steel wool but still no fire!Now Im thinking the coil is bad.When key is on I have 12 volts to + on coil.Thanks

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
  • World leaders in racing or performance Bullets
Re: Coils
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2014, 07:02:04 PM »
3 ohms is a little bit low, but still should be okay. Usually 3.2 ohms to 4 ohms is the typical range for primary resistance on a Bullet coil.
You can measure the secondary resistance using your ohm meter too. It should be somewhere around 8000 ohms, but it could vary from that a fair amount. Wouldn't hurt to get a new Bosch Blue coil in the correct resistance range, because they work real well.

Anyway, it could also be a bad spark plug wire too. Check that.
Home of the ACE Fireball 535 Bullet,  Ace GP Hi-Lift Roller Rocker Head . Pistons, cams, etc. Highest performance Bullet engine mods available .  AVL mods. Redditch 700/750 Twin mods. UCE kit soon.

Please visit my new website:
http://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/AcePerformanceBullets/info

ERC

• Grand Gearhead
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2014, 07:03:05 PM »
I've got one in front of me was working been sitting a year. Has 3.5 across the terminals.   ERC
2-57 Apaches, 2-57 Trailblazers, 60 Chief, 65 Interceptor, 2004 Bullet, 612 Bullet chopped.

FastEddy

• Neophyte
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2014, 07:29:56 PM »
Ace, Do you know the correct Blue Bosch coil for my bike ? Do all the parts stores usually have this in stock?Thanks

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
  • World leaders in racing or performance Bullets
« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2014, 08:04:30 PM »
Ace, Do you know the correct Blue Bosch coil for my bike ? Do all the parts stores usually have this in stock?Thanks
NAPA 00012
Home of the ACE Fireball 535 Bullet,  Ace GP Hi-Lift Roller Rocker Head . Pistons, cams, etc. Highest performance Bullet engine mods available .  AVL mods. Redditch 700/750 Twin mods. UCE kit soon.

Please visit my new website:
http://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/AcePerformanceBullets/info

baird4444

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2003 ES 500... 38,416 miles, I'm done
« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2014, 08:04:46 PM »
Below is from my files on the Bosch Blue...
         - Mike
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
MIKE,
I'VE SEEN YOU HAVE BEEN TALKING ABOUT THE BOSCH BLUE COIL. JUST RECEIVED MINE TODAY. HERE IS SOME INFORMATION I HAVE FOR YOU.
BOSCH BLUE COIL PURCHASE:
AFTER MUCH RESEARCH http://www.ratwell.com/technical/BlueCoil.html & http://www.1800vw.bizhosting.com/coilhdbblue.htm I ORDERED A COIL FOR MY BULLET FROM VICTOR COMP. PRODUCTS BECAUSE HE HAD THE CORRECT COIL FOR THE BEST PRICE $26.95. WHEN I WAS AT MID OHIO VINTAGE MOTORCYCLE DAYS DRS CYCLE HAD THE BOSCH COIL FOR SALE BUT IT WASN’T THE "GOOD" COIL ACCORDING THE ABOVE WEB SITES. THIS IS WHAT DRS CYCLE SAYS ABOUT THE BOSCH BLUE COIL (Bosch blue coil ,this item will single handedly increase performance by bolstering the ignition system , this will increase the voltage from 35,000 to 50,000 volts . This will improve the combustion process and is a better quality coil! $45.95.
12/27/2004
TERRY...
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
http://www.1800vw.bizhosting.com/coilhdbblue.htm

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Info from a NAPA tractor coil that works…
Hello all!
The NAPA Part number is IC12SB. Check to make sure you get the correct
resistor/non-resistor model.
Ask, look at the box, then check the coil before you walk out :)
It runs about $14.99 US plus tax
Mine works fine, but for the life of me I can remember if it is resistor
or non, but I /think/ it is non.
Course, it works so I never have to look at the darned thing, but I
still keep my little tiny original one in the side can just in case.

Have fun!
-=Bryian=-
(4 inches of snow yesterday morning-60 degrees today and sunny- Got to
/love/ Ohio weather!)

--
Nothing real can defeat us. Nothing unreal exists.
-B. Banzai

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
The good Bosch blue coil will have the bracket attached and a circular label on it. The cheap ones are a different shade of blue and do not have the bracket attached and have a square label on them. They both use the exact same part number, so when ordering you need to specify THE GOOD ONE or the one with the bracket ATTACHED. Many budget vendors (full page rag ads) pawn the cheap ones off as the good BLUE coils, since they are both blue. Confussed yet
////  more\\\\

I BELIEVE the Bosch Part Number is 00 012

Do not get the Blue HEI coil

Jack
AFTER MUCH RESEARCH I FOUND THE INFORMATION ABOUT THE (BOSCH BLUE COIL). LOOK AT THIS WEB SITE: http://homepage.mac.com/ratwell/BlueCoil.html . I HAD A GOOD TIME AT MID-OHIO, YOU SHOULD TRY AND GO SOMETIME. DAN HOLMES WAS THERE AND I HAD A BRIEF TALK WITH HIM, FOUND OUT HE HAS SOLD OUT THE BUSINESS TO A COMPANY CALLED UPSTAIRS DOWNSTAIRS AUTOMOTIVE BUT HE IS STILL GOING TO HELP THEM OUT AND THEY ARE GOING TO USE HIS WEB SITE. DAN HAD THE BOSCH BLUE COIL ON A TABLE IN FRONT OF HIM FOR SALE, I WROTE DOWN THE NUMBER OF THE COIL 9 224 771 008, THIS IS THE " BAD COIL", SEE THE WEB SITE ABOVE
~~~~~~~~~~
The ballast resistor whether external or internal
permits a higher current flow at initial start-up.
This permits coil to operate at its peak potential
making cold-engine start-up easier. This initial
current flow soon causes the resistor to increase in
temerature and consequently resistance as well. The
increased resistance now somewhat limits th current
flow; but, not to the point of causing "firing"
difficulties with a now warm engine.

Without ballast the current would remain high and
cause the ignition points to "burn". Burnt points are
usually an indication that something has gone with the
external ballast circuit or, like the Enfield with its
balllast inside the coil, a wrong type of coil has
been used as a replacement. So, be very sure that a
"generic" replacemt coil be of the internally
ballasted type.

Subject:  Re: Bosch blue coil...

ADVERTISEMENT

That coil is a goner! It must be replaced. The
electrical characteristics of coils in 12V battery and
coil ignition systems are quite similar. I would go to
an auto parts store with the leaking coil in hand; ask
the counter-man to match it up with one in stock. The
circumference should br close to that of the coil from
the RE as it must be held in place by the RE's clamp.

One caution: The RE's coil has an internal ballast
resistance so be sure that the auto parts coil is also
internally ballasted.
888  plus888

The ballast resistor whether external or internal
permits a higher current flow at initial start-up.
This permits coil to operate at its peak potential
making cold-engine start-up easier. This initial
current flow soon causes the resistor to increase in
temerature and consequently resistance as well. The
increased resistance now somewhat limits th current
flow; but, not to the point of causing "firing"
difficulties with a now warm engine.

Without ballast the current would remain high and
cause the ignition points to "burn". Burnt points are
usually an indication that something has gone with the
external ballast circuit or, like the Enfield with its
balllast inside the coil, a wrong type of coil has
been used as a replacement. So, be very sure that a
"generic" replacemt coil be of the internally
ballasted type.
AFTER MUCH RESEARCH I FOUND THE INFORMATION ABOUT THE (BOSCH BLUE COIL). LOOK AT THIS WEB SITE: http://homepage.mac.com/ratwell/BlueCoil.html . I HAD A GOOD TIME AT MID-OHIO, YOU SHOULD TRY AND GO SOMETIME. DAN HOLMES WAS THERE AND I HAD A BRIEF TALK WITH HIM, FOUND OUT HE HAS SOLD OUT THE BUSINESS TO A COMPANY CALLED UPSTAIRS DOWNSTAIRS AUTOMOTIVE BUT HE IS STILL GOING TO HELP THEM OUT AND THEY ARE GOING TO USE HIS WEB SITE. DAN HAD THE BOSCH BLUE COIL ON A TABLE IN FRONT OF HIM FOR SALE, I WROTE DOWN THE NUMBER OF THE COIL 9 224 771 008, THIS IS THE " BAD COIL", SEE THE WEB SITE ABOVE
~~~~~~~~~~
"You can't drink all day if you don't start in the morning!! "
        -Cody Baird
'My dear you are ugly,
 but tomorrow I shall be sober and you will still be ugly'
 - Winston Churchill

Kevin Mahoney

• Administrator
  • Grand Gearhead
« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2014, 12:25:45 AM »
As an aside we put some custom coils on both of the Bonneville bikes. If you can believe it they required 150 volts input on the primary side (normally 12v). That thing would fire a plug gap from a plug that was in the other cylinder of a twin :)

nettshubby

• Neophyte
« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2014, 02:00:47 PM »
As an aside, I used to run a Ducati 350 Sebring, a bit of a dog but engine good. Starting was sometimes a bit hit and miss, esp in winter. I read the article in, I think, Cycle magazine, where they did a test on various coils to determine which gave the "longest" spark. The best one by far was a cheap Wallmart coil! Anyway, my Duke was still on 6 volts and one winter night, with frost on the seat, I set to to install an old, large, Lucas 6 volt coil I had, probably from an old English car. I strapped it to the downtube and wired it up, then kicked started the bike, first kick, and it ticked over straight away! I later converted the bike to 12 volts and fitted a later Lucas coil and it continued to be a good starter.