HPRE

Menu

Members Rides

2011 C5

in
Members Rides

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
September 03, 2014, 02:11:20 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: New Owner Needs Advice  (Read 348 times)

Mr.Mazza

• Grease Monkey
  • Upside down thumping
Re: New Owner Needs Advice
« Reply #15 on: August 21, 2014, 11:27:33 AM »
Personally, if you don't plan on using or needing the ES then I would get it the hell off of the bike.  They are a weak problem design that will eventually fail.  Pretty much guaranteed.  As Mazza said, they sell primary covers that convert from ES to KS only.

Indeed, I never used my ES and only kick started it. ES gear still failed. It's a little bit of a job doing it but it's worth it, Getting the drive gear off might be difficult but proper tooling will help, and make sure you take note of how everything came off and went in. And gap your alternator properly when reinstalling.
The gist of the job is.
Primary cover off, oil drained whilst doing it (Opening it drains the oil), remove chain, alternator, crank gear off, inner primary cover out, rip all ES shit out, reassemble. You can buy the ES to KS kit, of if you want you can make that a later project, and use a blanking plug or the old starter motor to cover the hole for the starter.
Lizzy - 07 500 Deluxe ES - Red and chrome

Phlakaton

• Bulleteer
« Reply #16 on: August 21, 2014, 04:55:59 PM »
I have an ES '08 Iron --- I used the ES maybe 4 times before it died.  I have yet to touch it or remove it - I kick start every time and I never have problems.  I dont want to mess with it - so you dont have to pull it if you have no issues in my opinion.  I guess it could bite me in the arse someday but until then ---
'08 Bullet 500 Iron ES

Hondo

• Neophyte
« Reply #17 on: August 21, 2014, 06:35:18 PM »
You do not have to use the ES for it to ruin your day and your bike.  The sprag only turns in one direction.  A backfire, a misfire, or hiccup during a kick start can jam the gear.  Best case it damages the spag, worse it locks up, and worse yet it shatters and takes the case with it.

baird4444

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2003 ES 500... 38,416 miles, I'm done
« Reply #18 on: August 22, 2014, 04:20:56 AM »
You do not have to use the ES for it to ruin your day and your bike.  The sprag only turns in one direction.  A backfire, a misfire, or hiccup during a kick start can jam the gear.  Best case it damages the spag, worse it locks up, and worse yet it shatters and takes the case with it.
well said. A half hearted kick, a weak battery on a unit with EI, lean carb setup, and or improper timing can cause this. I would say the half hearted kick and improper timing is the most common reason for the sprague destroying kick back.
          - Mike   
"You can't drink all day if you don't start in the morning!! "
        -Cody Baird
'My dear you are ugly,
 but tomorrow I shall be sober and you will still be ugly'
 - Winston Churchill