HPRE

Menu

Members Rides

The Fonz?

in
Members Rides

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
October 30, 2014, 04:55:42 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Is the RE Interstate-Worthy?  (Read 28023 times)

Thumper

• Psalm 23
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Classic Wannabe
Is the RE Interstate-Worthy?
« on: September 22, 2007, 03:29:21 PM »
I have started this topic as an additional resource for prospective RE owners, since it comes up fairly regularly. I invite everyone to reply and share your opinion.

Here are my thoughts:

My 2006 Electra X (with the newer design AVL Lean Burn engine) is quite content to run at 60 mph. In 5th gear, it is happier at 60 than 50. I have regularly traveled the interstate at 65 mph for a good 10-15 miles during commutes to work. The bike held up well and had no complaints.

I think my bike would run all day (literally) at 55 mph. I think it could run all day at 60 - but that's close enough to the threshold where I wouldn't try it. I would be comfortable varying my speed between 50, 60 and 65 for an all-day trip. But as I started with: it would probably be happiest at 55 for long distances.

Because it's a thumper the design has to account for the singularly violent translation of energy into motion. My Electra X does this well, and as a result it has a higher stress threshold than my 750cc Ural did. With both types of bikes, however, the key is to know where that threshold is and stay under it!  Seems like both marques are very reliable when you do this.

If your line of thinking is to buy the bike and make some performance enhancements so that it will cruise the interstates more readily, you're probably barking up the wrong tree. It's just not made for that kind of travel.

The Bullets excel in many areas of riding - but interstate use is not one of them. There's nothing like leaning this narrow thumper hard into a long curve, hearing the blast of the exhaust hammering the pavement just below you. The bikes are made for twisties, and even the normal turns I make on my commute to work leave me with a big grin.

Throw on a performance kit and the grin only gets bigger!

Join the  ;D crowd. Get a Bullet. You need one!

Matt
« Last Edit: September 22, 2007, 03:31:15 PM by Thumper »

bwilson17

Re: Is the RE Interstate-Worthy?
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2007, 03:50:28 PM »
I have a 2006 Electra X with a 19 tooth front sprocket, free flow exhaust, and a bigger main Jet. I would have to ditto to what Thumper has posted.

hutch

• Grease Monkey
  • Til death do us part
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2007, 11:28:07 PM »
Thumper, My 2005 iron motor is like your Electra, I have stock gearing, just rejetted and piped. In fifth gear it is running in the sweet spot at 60mph. I gets 75-80mpg running there , and I have drove for 140 miles at that speed, only slowing down for an ocassional small town speed limit. As far as the interstate, I wouldn't recommend it, at least not in MI where the speed limit is 70 and everybody does 80 or more. Even if I regeared the Bullet, I wouldn't run the interstate. The iron motor just runs to good between 5mph to 60, to mess with the gearing.     Hutch
You learn from your mistakes, and I have LEARNED a lot.

Foggy_Auggie

• Grand Gearhead
« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2007, 04:16:20 AM »
I have the model Sixty Five with 1700 miles on it.  I've always been a stickler for strict by the book breaking in - which I did with my Sixty Five (and every other bike I've owned).  It is bone stock and I plan on leaving it that way.

The sweet spot on this one is 60mph by the speedometer.  The Enfield speedometer has been noted for being optimistic, so real speed may be slower.  I do short sprints up to 65mph by the speedo.

I think it could cruise all day at indicated 60mph - as long as the speed is varied back and forth on a regular basis and rest stops are taken for both pilot and engine cool down.

Ambient air temperature is also a consideration.  Hot days require moderation on air cooled engines.  This would be a logical process.

I drive on urban four lane highways where the speed limit is 55mph anyway.  Country two lanes are 55mph also around here - the Bullet just loves it.

Regards, Foggy
« Last Edit: September 23, 2007, 04:18:04 AM by Foggy_Auggie »
Diagonally parked in a parallel universe.

Fortiter Et Fideliter

gapl53

« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2007, 01:14:03 PM »
I ride my 2006 Electra-X all the time at 70mph GPS, 74 indicated. But that is only for 40 to 60 miles at a time, depending on which larger city I'm traveling too. I have de-restricted the exhaust and the airbox and added a K&N filter to the modified airbox. I also re-jetted the carburetor slightly on the rich side. This helped cool the engine down between 40 and 60 degrees Fahrenheit on average. Heat is your enemy wit any air cooled engine. It tops out at a actual 82 mph by GPS, and will run up to 78mph GPS very quickly where it runs out of carburetor. It still has the stock 29mm unit.

rural earl

• Neophyte
« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2007, 04:31:30 AM »
I ride my 2006 Electra-X all the time at 70mph GPS, 74 indicated. But that is only for 40 to 60 miles at a time, depending on which larger city I'm traveling too. I have de-restricted the exhaust and the airbox and added a K&N filter to the modified airbox. I also re-jetted the carburetor slightly on the rich side. This helped cool the engine down between 40 and 60 degrees Fahrenheit on average. Heat is your enemy wit any air cooled engine. It tops out at a actual 82 mph by GPS, and will run up to 78mph GPS very quickly where it runs out of carburetor. It still has the stock 29mm unit.

That is impressive performance in my book.  How do you keep track of your engine temp?  That would seem to be the key variable, and worthy of consistent measurement while riding.  I guess I could just get more sensitive to the heat near my leg.

dogbone

• Grand Gearhead
« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2007, 09:24:59 PM »
NO ! #1 its too light and unstable. OK with no wind, or trucks, or thunderstorms, or x-tra large puddles.
#2 Too many rpm's for the stock gearing, and too little power ,when geared down (or up if you look at it That way)
#3 It's too much of a grin to take the longer twistier route
99 Enfield Bullet 535
a man isn't drunk,if he can lie on the floor without hanging on

luoma

• Grand Gearhead
« Reply #7 on: November 21, 2007, 03:21:47 AM »
I agree with you Dogbone. I installed the performance kit ans 19-tooth sprocket so that I could get in the interstate. I can now, but it's lonely. No other bikers ride there. Besides, with a bike this light, it's doun right insane to ride above 65. I'm even thinking about going back to the 18-tooth.

dewjantim

• Grease Monkey
« Reply #8 on: November 21, 2007, 01:39:11 PM »
Free flowing exhaust, K&N pod filter, and re-jetting are my engine mods so far. Indicated top speed 93-95 mph WFO with a tailwind. Cruising speed 60-65 mph all day long (watch that oil level). Most of the time I am in the company of much, much larger bikes and I have to wring it out to stay up front, so I guess my bike is run a little harder than everyone else. Still don't like to do interstate, everyone does 80-85 mph which is to fast for my RE to run for long. Recently, some of my riding buddies have been buying old singles and a couple are thinking about buying REs. It is great to ride down the road with a bunch of singles thumping away......Dew.
If it hurts, you're not dead yet!!!!!

LJRead

« Reply #9 on: November 26, 2007, 03:43:50 AM »

Ambient air temperature is also a consideration.  Hot days require moderation on air cooled engines.  This would be a logical process.

Speaking of ambient temperature, I wonder what the effect of humidity is on cooling.  If you took air at the same temperature, but changed the amount of humidity in it, would the cooling efficiency increase or decrease.  If it were evaporative cooling, as in sweating, then the drier air would have the advantage, but I'm not so sure with radient cooling where the moisture could maybe draw off the heat.  The extreme of this would be taking a swim, where one gets cold very quickly, so maybe it is the same with the cooling of bike engines.  It might be useful to know, so you could perhaps increase or decrease your speed with humidity. Any ideas?

cyrusb

• Kept man
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Theres a last time for everything
« Reply #10 on: December 12, 2007, 02:20:22 AM »
No.

Foggy_Auggie

• Grand Gearhead
« Reply #11 on: December 12, 2007, 04:53:29 AM »
I have a professional Auto Meter cylinder head temperature gauge in the box.  It's designed for ultra-light aircraft engines.

As far as mounting on the Enfield, it will wire up.  But the cobbled appearance of mounting anywhere around the handlebar headstock requires custom fabrication and I think it would look just like a cobbled up arrangement.

To get heat parameters would be rapid though, with just riding through all different ambient temperatures.  Of course this would be with the stock exhaust and carb jetting.  There would be a settled area of temp with normal use.

Think it will stay in the box for now.

Regards, Foggy

Fortiter Et Fideliter

Leonard

• Grand Gearhead
  • I love this bike!!
« Reply #12 on: December 12, 2007, 03:29:25 PM »
No.

I respectfully disagree.  The minium Interstate speed (in Kansas anyway) is 40mph.  Get out there and maintain your rights! 
  Seriously though......I would rather do 55 on the Interstate where everyone can pass than try and do 55 on some of the 65mph two lanes we have around here.  People don't seem to know how to pass, they can have a half mile of clear road and they won't pass.  I think it must have something to do with my bad ass biker appearance.
2009 Triumph Bonneville T100
2004 Royal Enfield Sixty-5 (RIP)
2001 Kawasaki W650 (going, going...gone)
http://www.romeoriders.com

hutch

• Grease Monkey
  • Til death do us part
« Reply #13 on: December 12, 2007, 04:51:55 PM »
No.

I respectfully disagree.  The minium Interstate speed (in Kansas anyway) is 40mph.  Get out there and maintain your rights! 
  Seriously though......I would rather do 55 on the Interstate where everyone can pass than try and do 55 on some of the 65mph two lanes we have around here.  People don't seem to know how to pass, they can have a half mile of clear road and they won't pass.  I think it must have something to do with my bad ass biker appearance.
Here in Michigan the interstate speed post is 70mph. If  you do 55 mph here you will either get run over, or get a ticket for causing an accident from going to slow. 80-85 is the norm. The cops set their with their radar and won't even move until someone does 90mph. Semis run 70mph with signs clearly stating 55mph for semis. If you take a Bullet on the interstate here, you have a death wish. I changed my 650 Savage to chain drive and regeared just so I wouldn't get run over on that on the interstate.  They took down the 45mph minimum signs on the interstate here. It 's called go with the flow OR DIE in Michigan.   The average speed on my two lane paved country road is 60mph. Everyone has those mailboxes with the door in the back, so you don't get killed getting your mail. The METH labs must be making a lot of money around here.  Hutch
« Last Edit: December 12, 2007, 04:58:07 PM by hutch »

cyrusb

• Kept man
  • Grand Gearhead
« Reply #14 on: December 12, 2007, 05:12:57 PM »
Yeah, theres the data on minimum speeds ect, then theres the real world. You are responsible for your own safety no matter which world  your in. Here in the northeast, people are doing 70 on the shoulders.

dewjantim

• Grease Monkey
« Reply #15 on: December 12, 2007, 09:05:38 PM »
Here in Ky on Saturday night we have people driving 70 in the ditch.......Dew.
If it hurts, you're not dead yet!!!!!

GreenMachine

• Grand Gearhead
« Reply #16 on: December 13, 2007, 02:11:38 AM »
I don't like being pass by a semi while tooling along on my classic doing 60..I have to stay pretty close to the line and keep the bike from being blown..Have had the bike out on 2 lane country highway doing 50 - 60 and due to windy conditions , it seems that I'm driving sideways to keep her straight (most of u guys know what I'm talking about)..It still alot of fun but if I need to deal with alot of stuff (interstate, winds, etc) I think I'll take my 03 1100 yamaha out for that scenerio...Is that to say I'll never ride the enfield on anything but a country road...No but I'll give it some thought especially if I have something in the garage with a bit more umph and weight. Just my thoughts..cheers
Oh Magoo you done it again

jonapplegate

• Grand Gearhead
  • you stand tall when you stoop to help
« Reply #17 on: February 13, 2008, 08:01:56 PM »
In regards to the post about cyl. head temp gauges, If you had such a gauge mounted, what would you consider too hot or a good operating temp. range on an aircooled machine ??? 

Foggy_Auggie

• Grand Gearhead
« Reply #18 on: February 13, 2008, 08:16:23 PM »
Just normal running in everyday conditions would give a baseline for a cylinder head temp gauge.  Because each engine and state of tune is individual.  And the heat sensor thermocouple would be mounted where ever the owner wanted it.

When parameters are established, it would be the deviations outside the normal range to look for.  These deviations would indicate a change in air/fuel ratio and/or timing.

Obviously a quick increase in temperature, outside the norm, requires a shutdown and inspection.

Fortiter Et Fideliter

LJRead

« Reply #19 on: February 13, 2008, 11:00:32 PM »

If heat is the problem with sustained high speeds with R E, and the new EFI engine is touted as being more powerful and able to sustain high speeds, have they made some changes aimed at reducing engine heat?  I doubt it, but maybe Kevin or Jim can tell us.

Kevin Mahoney

• Administrator
  • Grand Gearhead
« Reply #20 on: February 14, 2008, 10:30:50 PM »
The conventional cast iron engine is not that great at getting rid of heat. The new engines are much better at it,

Bankerdanny

• Grand Gearhead
« Reply #21 on: February 22, 2008, 04:42:03 PM »
For short stints sure, but I wouldn't do a cross country interstate trip.

I have an '02 500 ES with Ace bars and stock carb/exhaust/gearing. The forward tilt makes a big difference when speeds top 60. I have upgraded the tires to Avon AM26 Roadrider's, which were a HUGE improvement over the stock retro tires.

The couple of times that I have ventured onto the highway I just keep left and find a semi that I can draft from (at a safe distance of course).

My bike seems pretty comfortable at an indicated 60-65, but I will say the sweet spot seems to fall between 50 and 60, which is not enough for most interstates.
« Last Edit: May 16, 2008, 04:11:49 PM by bankerdanny »
Endeavor To Persevere

jonapplegate

• Grand Gearhead
« Reply #22 on: May 14, 2008, 04:09:30 PM »
this is a question that occurred to me after reading Foggie_auggie's post about the cyl. temp. guage. If one did mount a temp. guage, What would the temperature rages be to llok for, especially max. temp. obviously. I live where we get the full range of temperatures , Negative 0's to 110f and I ride often all year round unless there is snow on the road or it is below freezing a little bit.

cyrusb

• Kept man
  • Grand Gearhead
« Reply #23 on: June 25, 2008, 07:20:26 PM »
Yes, on a trailer.

Kevin Mahoney

• Administrator
  • Grand Gearhead
« Reply #24 on: June 25, 2008, 08:17:53 PM »
I totally agree with BankerDenny. this is very good advice. Cyrusb also has a point. For extended higher speed riding the bikes with the AVL lean-Burn engines are better, but I still wouldn't recommend driving cross country at freeway speeds.

Bankerdanny

• Grand Gearhead
« Reply #25 on: June 27, 2008, 08:44:05 PM »
As an addendum to my previous response, I changed to an 18-tooth counter sprocket. It moved the sweet spot up ever so slightly to about 60.

It also made cruising at 45mph a bit smoother because I can keep it in 3rd and not feel like the rpms are a bit high.
Endeavor To Persevere

deejay

« Reply #26 on: June 28, 2008, 12:34:18 PM »
As an addendum to my previous response, I changed to an 18-tooth counter sprocket. It moved the sweet spot up ever so slightly to about 60.

It also made cruising at 45mph a bit smoother because I can keep it in 3rd and not feel like the rpms are a bit high.

Nice, I'm doing this change this weekend, although I'm still trying to find a socket big enough to fit over that 2" nut.

Bankerdanny

• Grand Gearhead
« Reply #27 on: June 28, 2008, 09:45:03 PM »
Sears. I got a large box end wrench.

It's not 2" though it's 1 1/2.
Endeavor To Persevere

doomed1

• The Pirate King
  • Bulleteer
« Reply #28 on: June 29, 2008, 03:10:41 AM »
Say, does anyone know if the new UCE engines will kick the cruising speed up to the 70-80mph range? I intended to get an RE this summer, but if i can get a solid interstate cruising speed, then I'll want to wait till next year so I can ride my bike between home and school at each end of the summer, or potentially move on to a more interstate worthy bike.

cyrusb

• Kept man
  • Grand Gearhead
« Reply #29 on: June 30, 2008, 02:09:07 AM »
Doomed1, Look at it this way, It will do everything a late model 250 UJM can do. And less...
« Last Edit: June 30, 2008, 04:49:26 PM by cyrusb »

doomed1

• The Pirate King
  • Bulleteer
« Reply #30 on: June 30, 2008, 04:37:22 AM »
that still doesn't necessarily answer my question, which was will it cruise between 70 and 80? i know the bike is a lightweight compared to other stuff on the road and am well aware of the issues with riding on major highways, especially on light bikes. "interstate worthy" can mean alot of things, though my main concern is whether or not i'll be able to keep up with the majority of traffic regardless of other obstacles. i'll address the rest when i'm making my final decision on motorcycle make.

hutch

• Grease Monkey
  • Til death do us part
« Reply #31 on: June 30, 2008, 02:37:38 PM »
Doomed1, To be able to cruise at an easy rpm on the interstate at 70-80mph, and not be over stressing the motor, you need a bike capable of a top speed of at least 100mph or more. I owned a 650 Savage single with 30 hp and after changing to a chain drive with a highway ratio, it still was not interstate worthy. The 67 Royal Enfield Interceptor I own is interstate worthy, but it is a twin cylinder 750 with 60 hp. The RE Interceptor was built specificaly for the US market and the new interstate system at that time. The Bullet was built for the back road country driver that would occasionally hit a muddy cowpath. The Bullet is a niche bike. If it were built with the power for the interstate, it would lose it's appeal to far newer bikes, and in my case, lose all of it's appeal. I guess that is why I own so many different bikes. As my mother use to say " There is a place for everything, and everything belongs in it's place."     Hutch
« Last Edit: June 30, 2008, 03:32:18 PM by hutch »

Bankerdanny

• Grand Gearhead
« Reply #32 on: June 30, 2008, 05:22:48 PM »
You could make an "interstate worthy" bullet, but the cost would be substantial and I think that long term reliability would be compromised. If I waned to build such a bike I might do it with this:

1. 535cc big bore kit with 8.5:1 piston
2. Stage 2 heads
3. 32mm Amal carb
4. Upgraded exhaust
5. High output oil pump
6. Performance cams
7. Alpha roller bearing
8. 20 tooth counter sprocket
9. Blue printed clutch

All this would probably double the output of your Enfield, but also double the price. The 20 tooth sprocket would keep highway revs reasonable and the extra power should allow the engine to easily handle the taller gearing.

However, by the time you have bought your Enfield and installed all this you have a $6-$7,000 bike. For that kind of money you could buy an Enfield for easy weekend rides and a used BMW or Concours for highway trips or a new Kawasak Versys or KLR 650 or Suzuki Vstrom that are practical around town as well as the highway.

I can see the appeal of building such a bike, but in the end I don't think it is worth the cost.
Endeavor To Persevere

Jon

• Bulleteer
« Reply #33 on: June 30, 2008, 08:00:49 PM »
Reading this with interest as I am thinking of the AVL Bullet as a commuter bike.

In the UK magazines the consensus seems to be that the AVL Bullet can run
at motorway speeds. The brit importers say the engine is safe to 40BHP and the
Bullet XR cafe racer gives 30BHP and a top whack of about 100-105MPH.

I am intrigued by the frequent assertions that the Bullet is too light for freeway
work as weightwise it's not much lighter than a Brit 650/750 twin which
can still cope.

The stock AVL I have seen quoted as having approx 27BHP if you fit
the free flowing exhaust and a carb kit. Given the bikes weight and that
five speed box I would reckon that should equate to a 90mph top wack
and 70mph cruise. On paper that would equate to the last of the Redditch
"big head" Bullets but I suspect that the AVL would be much more reliable.

WANTING to ride on the freeway is something else again and not much fun at all
even on a Sportster and horrible on a WL45!

doomed1

• The Pirate King
  • Bulleteer
« Reply #34 on: July 01, 2008, 12:44:50 AM »
jon provided the best answer here, and that was basically, with some modification, the AVL model theoretically should be able to cruise the low end of the highway. what i want to know is if the new UCE engine with EFI will allow the bike to cruise within the range of 70-80 miles per hour. i'm fully aware that current models, while they do get close, they do not maintain a 75mph speed. i was wondering if the new UCE model, with it's extra torque and power over even the AVL model, will be able to maintain highway speeds with the proper gearing. if no one knows, that's fine. i'm waiting on the new engine to see how well it turns out. i am also heavily considering getting a Kawasaki Versys as well, so it's not as if i'm totally fixating on this bike, i just like it alot as an option, and i find it worth it enough to wait for next year's model if it can meet my needs better. i'm a bit more shrewd about this than some may realize, while at the same time, i'm excited for the prospect of this bike being able to go highway speeds.

either way, thank you all for trying to steer me in a direction that you would be best for me to take with a new motorcycle. i still hope to cut my teeth on a UCE engine Bullet as soon as they come out and become an official member of this fine community that's sprung up around this motorcycle.

cyrusb

• Kept man
  • Grand Gearhead
« Reply #35 on: July 01, 2008, 12:48:43 AM »
Jon, who said the Brit twins could cope? Even they fell to the punishment of the American freeway. The Bullets low weight, (500e 340 dry) and lousy suspension really make for a handfull at freeway speeds. Just the expansion joints alone are killers.Then there is the brakes, good to 60mph after that you are on your own. You can certainly do whatever you like, but on the freeway you'll be the lowest tech machine out there, an oil lamp at a halogen party.

Bankerdanny

• Grand Gearhead
« Reply #36 on: July 01, 2008, 04:41:04 AM »
The few times I have had mine on the highway I didn't feel that the bike was too light. the bigger issue was that I was running about flat out and had nothing less to accelerate myself out of trouble if I needed to.

The non--avl bullets are highway capable, but not highway comfortable.

Plus the upright riding position is not very comfortable at highway speeds.
Endeavor To Persevere

Jon

• Bulleteer
« Reply #37 on: July 01, 2008, 07:42:11 PM »
I said Brit twins could cope and I'll stand by that remark,particularly regarding
the Norton Commando and Triumph T140 which in good order are quite capable
of maintaining speeds of 70-90 mph.
I will qualify the statement and repeat that I don't think it would be a paticularly
enjoyable experiance and you'd better have made good use of loctite in your
maintainace schedule!
Mind you the on the stretch of 580 I drive in commute hours you'd be doing well
to average 40 mph most mornings!

Bankerdanny

• Grand Gearhead
« Reply #38 on: July 01, 2008, 09:08:34 PM »
I'd be surprised if the UCE bikes are much faster than the current crop. I don't see a big jump in power coming.

The issue is the low compression, run in any condition on the crappiest gas nature of the bikes.

They still designed primarily for the Indian market, and 70mph cruising ability is just not an important factor.

I just don't see the 500 Enfield ever being a strong out of the box highway vehicle.
Endeavor To Persevere

Eamon

• Grand Gearhead
  • Good golly Miss Molly
« Reply #39 on: July 02, 2008, 12:00:26 AM »
I'd be surprised if the UCE bikes are much faster than the current crop. I don't see a big jump in power coming.

The issue is the low compression, run in any condition on the crappiest gas nature of the bikes.

They still designed primarily for the Indian market, and 70mph cruising ability is just not an important factor.

I just don't see the 500 Enfield ever being a strong out of the box highway vehicle.

Well, i'm pretty sure I read on one of the threads about the UCE that the 500 would produce about 30hp in stock form.  That's quite a bit more power than the current bike.  The issue of whether or not it's a good idea to spend time on the interstate with it or not may a separate issue, but it does indeed sound like there will be a significant bump up in power.

Eamon
Eamon in Seattle
2006 Bullet 500 Deluxe
http://www.sterlingloons.com

cyrusb

• Kept man
  • Grand Gearhead
« Reply #40 on: July 02, 2008, 03:10:03 PM »
Did anyone mention vibration? Even the big inch Brit twins I have owned were absolute torture at high speeds. "Makes Your Brain Itch"  is a good term to describe it. Not only did this vibration assault  you, but it did a good job of destroying the bike. Bullets share the same malady at high speeds. They were not made for that kind of service, period.

doomed1

• The Pirate King
  • Bulleteer
« Reply #41 on: July 02, 2008, 04:04:40 PM »
Did anyone mention vibration? Even the big inch Brit twins I have owned were absolute torture at high speeds. "Makes Your Brain Itch"  is a good term to describe it. Not only did this vibration assault  you, but it did a good job of destroying the bike. Bullets share the same malady at high speeds. They were not made for that kind of service, period.
thing is, that's not really what we're talking about. right now we're trying to project as to whether or not the Bullet 500 UCE is capable of maintaining highway speeds. we're already well aware that ironhead or even AVL engines lack the power and speed to go that fast, but i wanted to know about how the UCE engine theoretically should hold up.

cyrusb

• Kept man
  • Grand Gearhead
« Reply #42 on: July 02, 2008, 06:46:05 PM »
I could not see that much difference between Iron classic and UCE without divine intervention. The UCE is still a un-counterbalanced large single, should it vibrate less? Who knows.  Have you ever ridden a bullet? If not, go for a test ride and arrive at your own decision. See ya on the expressway!

Foggy_Auggie

• Grand Gearhead
« Reply #43 on: July 02, 2008, 09:02:39 PM »
I could not see that much difference between Iron classic and UCE without divine intervention. The UCE is still a un-counterbalanced large single, should it vibrate less? Who knows.  Have you ever ridden a bullet? If not, go for a test ride and arrive at your own decision. See ya on the expressway!

Don't know about the UCE but the iron engine does have a balanced crankshaft.  And the crank web cheeks are so beefy and heavy there is no need for an outboard flywheel.  The crank web plates are the flywheels.

Enfield historically dynamically balanced their crankshafts.  Both their twins and single cylinders were by reputation the smoothest of the British designs.

Fortiter Et Fideliter

doomed1

• The Pirate King
  • Bulleteer
« Reply #44 on: July 02, 2008, 11:05:33 PM »
Don't know about the UCE but the iron engine does have a balanced crankshaft.  And the crank web cheeks are so beefy and heavy there is no need for an outboard flywheel.  The crank web plates are the flywheels.

Enfield historically dynamically balanced their crankshafts.  Both their twins and single cylinders were by reputation the smoothest of the British designs.
even smoother than the Brough Superior? i mean, i love the thump of an Enfield, but a Brough's purr just sends chills down my spine.

and considering it the UCE is a modern engine design, i expect that the engine vibration would at least be a little lower than even the AVL. sure, it might not be the best for long distances, but that all has to do with the rider. i just want to know if the bike can keep up.

GreenMachine

• Grand Gearhead
« Reply #45 on: July 03, 2008, 09:50:36 PM »
Doom1; Best answer re. new UCE and performing 70-80 for extended beltway type traffic is '"if u are crazy enough to do it/my hats off to you"..Just finished up exhaust/intake and carb mods on my 06 iron and had it up to 80mph + for a short duration...The bike is not safe to ride at these speed..(I'm talking about my 06 iron)...Of course I haven't seen or ridden this new bike (UCE) but can't imagine the stock form is any better than what I have just done...With the current mods I just completed, my bike rides at 50-60 now with little effort as it breathes better with the K N modification, Brit exhaust and carb rejetting...Note: Believe the owner manual that came with my bike recommends nothing over 70 mph...This is not your freeway/highway 30 mile commuter with speeds in excess of 65 mph mean machine...Open highway, no traffic, yes I've had it at 65-70 for short spurts but I wouldn't want anyone bearing down on me in a SUV....As u are aware, the cagers with their phones, IPODS and now I hear Text messaging will kill you...Don't give them additional ammo by riding an enfield in the tidy bowl we call commuting to work ....just my thoughts what they are worth.cheers

cyrusb

• Kept man
  • Grand Gearhead
« Reply #46 on: July 06, 2008, 08:48:54 PM »
Personally, I cant believe this question is still up in the air. I have to believe the only people still asking it have never ridden a bullet . Four pages is a lot of dialogue for "NO" .. As for the balance issue, Of course the Enfield has a counterbalaced crank, but what it lacks is the separate driven counterbalancer that smoother modern big singles have. Would a Goldwing make a good trail bike?

GreenMachine

• Grand Gearhead
« Reply #47 on: July 06, 2008, 09:26:31 PM »
Guess its hard to just say No as a direct reply...I just hate to see someone get a machine that they are expecting something else and then disappointed in the fact that it is incapable of satisfying their expectation...I love the bullet for what it is and I understand what it is not...Its a 1955-1958 Machine with a few technology improvement (ES, 5speed, etc.)...I hate to hear someone getting mangled on a freeway or interstate because the machine was incapable of getting out of a bad situation...Not like my drum brakes are going to stop on a dime or goose it to 90 MPH for a short burst...Realize everyone doesn't have a stable of bikes to choose from for the day..That being stated, I use my 1100 for serious driving and the 500 single for the back way into town and leisurely cruising my county...I don't get into flying by the seat of my pants on the Enfield going 70 MPH....The bike can do it if you modify a few things but it sure does get a bit ricketty vice sitting back in the saddle on a 03 Star...Just  my opinion but feel its an honest one...Cheers

Bankerdanny

• Grand Gearhead
« Reply #48 on: July 07, 2008, 08:40:40 PM »
I had mine out Sunday and spent about 20 minutes on a 4 lane divided highway cruising at about 60-65.

Even if you mod your bike to cruise at 70 comfortably, it still won't be comfortable. The high frequency vibration through the seat and bars wears on you fast.
Endeavor To Persevere

baird4444

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2003 ES 500... 38,416 miles, I'm done
« Reply #49 on: July 07, 2008, 09:33:02 PM »
Personally, I cant believe this question is still up in the air. I have to believe the only people still asking it have never ridden a bullet . Four pages is a lot of dialogue for "NO" .. As for the balance issue, Of course the Enfield has a counterbalaced crank, but what it lacks is the separate driven counterbalancer that smoother modern big singles have. Would a Goldwing make a good trail bike?

Would a Goldwing make a good trail bike?
That's funny!!   I think you've finally cum up with the perfect analogy that should
put an END to this thread....
                  - IMO -- Mike
"You can't drink all day if you don't start in the morning!! "
        -Cody Baird
'My dear you are ugly,
 but tomorrow I shall be sober and you will still be ugly'
 - Winston Churchill

jonapplegate

• Grand Gearhead
« Reply #50 on: July 09, 2008, 05:48:00 AM »
I think we should also not lose sight of the fact that highway speeds will be at the very upper limit of these machines peak output so the wear and tear is going to immense. I seem to recall something once said about 80% of wear is created by the last 10% of an engines output or something to that effect.

1Blackwolf1

• Grand Gearhead
  • Looking for the next rebuild project....
« Reply #51 on: September 21, 2008, 07:48:59 PM »
I have personally rode mine and my wifes on the interstate to bring them home. If you have a substantial pair and don't scare easily, go ahead. But a bike that cruises at right around 55 stock ( I only went about 45 since I was breaking them in) may not be the best interstate machine especially since they generate alot of heat and lorries don't give a rip if they pull you along/under.  Good Luck.
Will Morrison
2007 500 Military
2000 Kawasaki Drifter 1500
2000 Victory V92SC
1976 Suzuki GT185 Rebuilder Special..AKA (Junkyard Dog)
Many, many other toys.
The garage is full.

calman28556

• Bulleteer
« Reply #52 on: September 22, 2008, 02:18:27 AM »
On my C2C2C trip, until I ran into mechanical problems, ,l ran my Bullet with Hack on I-40 at a consistent 55 MPH.  Sometimes I got it up to 65 MPH in a few short stretches "to see how it handled".  It handled very well and the other drivers on the road were just as courteous and respectful to me as I was to them.  Averaged 53 MPG. 

My biggest problem was the road in Arkansas and Oklahoma - it was like being on a perpetual speed bump and it "ate" a new rear tire really fast. 
On the Road - Again. And Again, And Again.

geoffbaker

« Reply #53 on: September 25, 2008, 02:45:59 PM »

My biggest problem was the road in Arkansas and Oklahoma - it was like being on a perpetual speed bump and it "ate" a new rear tire really fast. 

That Arkansas highway was horrible... I remember it well. Last time I went, though, it was much improved...

doomed1

• The Pirate King
  • Bulleteer
« Reply #54 on: October 08, 2008, 07:39:40 PM »
well, it's been confirmed via the REM site: the new Royal Enfield Bullet Classic UCE will be capable of cruising speeds of 70 miles per hour for highways, making it very Interstate worthy, at stock levels no less.

well, i'm excited ;D

speed metal

• Neophyte
« Reply #55 on: October 28, 2008, 06:02:28 AM »
i rode my 500 bullet to the sturgis mc rally from denver this year and its 810 miles round trip! the only problem i had was the headlight regulator went out and burned out my lights. the bike is super light and hauls! 80- 85 mph most of the way and it tops out at 101 mph said my friend riding beside me! i had to keep up with two triumphs! i got about 65 mpg on the highway and had a bigger tank on the bike for the ride but for around town i run a one gallon tank i hand formed myself.

Leonard

• Grand Gearhead
  • I love this bike!!
« Reply #56 on: October 28, 2008, 10:31:33 PM »
i rode my 500 bullet to the sturgis mc rally from denver this year and its 810 miles round trip! the only problem i had was the headlight regulator went out and burned out my lights. the bike is super light and hauls! 80- 85 mph most of the way and it tops out at 101 mph said my friend riding beside me! i had to keep up with two triumphs! i got about 65 mpg on the highway and had a bigger tank on the bike for the ride but for around town i run a one gallon tank i hand formed myself.

WOW!  Sure would like to know what mods you have done to your bullet to make it run like that.
2009 Triumph Bonneville T100
2004 Royal Enfield Sixty-5 (RIP)
2001 Kawasaki W650 (going, going...gone)
http://www.romeoriders.com

PhilJ

• Grand Gearhead
« Reply #57 on: October 28, 2008, 11:12:09 PM »
Have your speedometer checked.

hutch

• Grease Monkey
  • Til death do us part
« Reply #58 on: October 29, 2008, 01:40:49 PM »
If the bike you are talking about is the one pictured in your avatar, then I can see how it would go that fast. With the right gearing , hop up parts and weight, you  can make anything fast. I do believe that the question here is about interstate speeds with a "mostly" stock configured bike. Congrats on your bike. I like chopped down fast bikes, But prefer to keep my Bullet in it's beautiful, nostalgic stock form., even though mine is sporting apehangers, solo seat, and upswept fishtail exhaust, with small performance mods. Mine will cruise at 60mph all day, but is really straining at 70+mph. 80mpgallon is the norm, but interstate riding is out of the question. In my home state you would get run over from behind, or blown off the road by a semi passing you at 80mph. Back when the speed limit was 55mph it was feasable, but not with the speeds people drive now on the interstate. I have been riding for 43 years, on Harleys, Hondas, Triumphs, BSA's and currently own 7 bikes ranging from 270cc up to my 1639cc(120hp) custom I built. Of all the bikes I own, only the '67 Royal Enfield Interceptor 750 and the 120 HP Custom are ever riden on the interstate. The others are to light and slow to be safe. That is just my oppinion. Once again, "nice job of customizing your RE"     Hutch
« Last Edit: October 29, 2008, 01:51:52 PM by hutch »

GreenMachine

• Grand Gearhead
« Reply #59 on: October 29, 2008, 09:15:18 PM »
speed metal: post us a pic of your metal machine...thumbnail isn't cutting it....

The Garbone

• Shade Tree
  • Grand Gearhead
  • User Complaints: 22
« Reply #60 on: October 30, 2008, 12:51:57 AM »

Would a Goldwing make a good trail bike?
That's funny!!   I think you've finally cum up with the perfect analogy that should
put an END to this thread....
                  - IMO -- Mike

Check out this... =====>Whats that grinding sound..lol <====
Gary
57' RE Crusader 250
67' Ford Mustang
74' Catalina 27 "Knot a Clew"
95 RE Ace Clubman 535
01 HD 1200 Custom
07 RE 5spd HaCK

* all actions described in this post are fictional *

speed metal

• Neophyte
« Reply #61 on: October 30, 2008, 05:46:10 AM »
is the RE interstate worthy? well mine is. but only because i made it that way. its deff not for everyone but that's the beauty of bikes right? build it how you like it! i wanted to ride something different so i bought an RE. i also wanted to ride it on the highway and be able to keep up with my triumph Buddy's and there is nothing better for me than to do it with a thumper! that is exciting for me! i havent done much to the motor. rockers, alum. push rods, amel 32, my own intake manifold, high flow oil pumps dual plug head and open exhaust i welded up. its a 4 speed with stock gears all around. most every thing that wasnt needed was taken off. i made a 4" longer swing arm and made some struts for it. the fork is also lowered. i think what makes it work is that its so light. there are some big pics in members rides under tried to kill me as i wrecked it a few weeks back. ill put some more pics up when i get it back together! and for whoever said check your speed-o i dont have any gauges, that's just what my friends traveling with me said. and you are right maybe all there speed-os are off but save the attitude for someone that isnt into the best bikes ever. long live the RE!

geoffbaker

« Reply #62 on: October 31, 2008, 02:42:36 PM »
! and for whoever said check your speed-o i dont have any gauges, that's just what my friends traveling with me said.

So when you're riding alone, do you judge your speed by the number of flashing lights behind you ? :D

johnny rocket

• Neophyte
« Reply #63 on: February 27, 2009, 01:04:54 AM »
one more time...
i ran mine on the interstate from coast to coast (cali to ga.)wtfo laying on the tank with flipped handlebars.
 bone stock.
i destroyed a rear sprocket but ran 75 the whole way.
WTFO! Downhill ive seen the speedo hit 90+
through the mountains ive had trouble getting it up to 65
as for the wind... fight it or get a goldwing
the cheapest performance mod is going on a diet!
electra...3 months and 8000 miles

t120rbullet

• Grand Gearhead
« Reply #64 on: February 27, 2009, 02:14:38 AM »
i ran mine on the interstate from coast to coast (cali to ga.)

That's quite a feat on an Enfield.
I hope you documented it and are going to share it with us?
CJ
1999 Enfield 500 Black Deluxe "Silver"
2012 Concours 14 (no name yet)
2013 Royal Star Venture S  "Jelly Roll"

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
  • World leaders in racing or performance Bullets
« Reply #65 on: February 27, 2009, 02:21:50 AM »
i ran mine on the interstate from coast to coast (cali to ga.)

That's quite a feat on an Enfield.
I hope you documented it and are going to share it with us?
CJ

Quite the torture test, fer sure!

3000 miles at 5300 rpm!

I guess they don't call him "Johnny Rocket" for nothing!
Home of the ACE Fireball 535 Bullet,  Ace GP Hi-Lift Roller Rocker Head . Pistons, cams, etc. Highest performance Bullet engine mods available .  AVL mods. Redditch 700/750 Twin mods. UCE kit soon.

Please visit my new website:
http://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/AcePerformanceBullets/info

Malc

• Neophyte
« Reply #66 on: March 03, 2009, 09:15:47 PM »
In GB the trucks are limited to 56mph, this is good for bullet riders. On my 500 I have gone quite a ways on motorways (freeways) by keeping with the trucks. Follow a truck thats doing your required speed, keep a good gap apart for the view, and simply follow it. Then when you want to have a blast, do so, till she needed a rest again and back to 55 for 20miles or so!

The thing is, other faster trucks simply overtake as do the cars, nothing bothers you from behind. It's not perfect of course, what is, but it is a solution at least? My latest solution though is to go 612cc and raise the gearing 2 teeth, so we will see! Thing is, if turns out that I just dont like cruising the bull at car speeds, roughly 70-75, I know I can just go back to what I used to do at 500 speeds if need be, use a truck!

Malc.

Thumper

• Psalm 23
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Classic Wannabe
« Reply #67 on: March 04, 2009, 12:48:56 PM »
In GB the trucks are limited to 56mph, ...Malc.

Here in the US we have regulations and rules too, like stopping at stop signs and stopping at red lights and using turn signals and dimming hi-beams for oncoming vehicles - you know basically being considerate of others (and safer) that, unfortunately, too many people simply choose to ignore and just do whatever they want....

Flame off.

Matt

t120rbullet

• Grand Gearhead
« Reply #68 on: March 04, 2009, 12:56:31 PM »

Here in Michigan trucks are limited to 55 mph.
If you can find one doing less than 70 mph let me know because I've never seen one.
Cars and motorcycles are limited to 70 mph.
Rarely do you see one go less than 80 unless they are in the fast lane.
Definitely not Bullet territory.
CJ

hutch

• Grease Monkey
  • Til death do us part
« Reply #69 on: March 04, 2009, 02:45:45 PM »

If you can find one doing less than 70 mph let me know because I've never seen one.
CJ

See, that is what I told you about drivers on the interstate in MI. Bullet are for back roads here. Even the 2 lane state roads with 55mph limits are dangerous for the Bullets at times, since most people drive 65mph to 70mph on those, including semis. City and 2 lane secondary country roads are the only safe place to ride a Bullet in MI. Hutch

t120rbullet

• Grand Gearhead
« Reply #70 on: March 04, 2009, 04:54:57 PM »
See, that is what I told you about drivers on the interstate in MI. Bullet are for back roads here. Even the 2 lane state roads with 55mph limits are dangerous for the Bullets at times, since most people drive 65mph to 70mph on those, including semis. City and 2 lane secondary country roads are the only safe place to ride a Bullet in MI. Hutch

And that's if the potholes don't suck you in.
Never to be seen or heard from again.

hutch

• Grease Monkey
  • Til death do us part
« Reply #71 on: March 04, 2009, 05:54:55 PM »

LOL.....That is why I opted for the sprung solo seat. The bike might disappear, but maybe I will get bounced out of a deep pothole, and be able to winch the bike out of the black abys.

1Blackwolf1

• Grand Gearhead
« Reply #72 on: March 05, 2009, 01:47:49 AM »

Sounds like Wisconsin also.  Our potholes will swallow a VW bug in one gulp..and the tailgater behind you will just run down what's left of you.  Will.
LOL.....That is why I opted for the sprung solo seat. The bike might disappear, but maybe I will get bounced out of a deep pothole, and be able to winch the bike out of the black abys.
Will Morrison
2007 500 Military
2000 Victory V92SC
Many, many other toys.
The garage is full.

Malc

• Neophyte
« Reply #73 on: March 09, 2009, 10:40:06 PM »
I see you blokes aint got no faith in your truckers! Well, neither have I really I drove 18 wheelers for 30 years myself. The way they got us to obey the law over here is simple, they fitted speed limiters!  ;D

As far as all the other stuff goes, stop signs, lights ect, ect, we must just be better drivers over here then, eh what!  :-* ;D

t120rbullet

• Grand Gearhead
« Reply #74 on: March 09, 2009, 10:49:21 PM »
I see you blokes aint got no faith in your truckers! Well, neither have I really I drove 18 wheelers for 30 years myself.

I've got all the faith in the world for truckers.
Pound for Pound their are some of the best drivers on the road.
But something about looking at those big tires spinning a couple of feet away from me while I'm on my woefully inadequate Bullet just don't appeal to me. There are better choices to be had both for roads for the Bullet and bikes for the freeway.
CJ

Cabo Cruz

• Papa Juan
  • Grand Gearhead
« Reply #75 on: March 10, 2009, 12:43:39 AM »
Amen, Brother 120!!!
Long live the Bullets and those who ride them!

Keep the shiny side up, the boots on the pegs and best REgards,

Papa Juan

REA:    Member No. 119
BIKE:   2004 Royal Enfield Sixty-5
NAME: Perla

Malc

• Neophyte
« Reply #76 on: March 11, 2009, 11:17:11 PM »

But something about looking at those big tires spinning a couple of feet away from me while I'm on my woefully inadequate Bullet just don't appeal to me. There are better choices to be had both for roads for the Bullet and bikes for the freeway.
CJ

No arguments here, there are loads better bikes for the freeway, all Im sayig is, it can be done, maybe a bit scarrily, but it can be done.

UncleErnie

• Grand Gearhead
« Reply #77 on: March 12, 2009, 03:12:09 AM »
Not on 85 into Atlanta.
Run what ya brung

Gromit42

• Bulleteer
  • Ready to GO
« Reply #78 on: May 06, 2009, 04:28:01 AM »
I think if you want to run the freeway here on an RE best to get another bike. The hills, big tires, and weather just don't set up for a good situation. Unless you want to give your friendly local dealer a whole lotta work by having to replace the engine. And if you have a hack...best to try anything other road or you'll be blown over.

just my two/half cents for what it's worth.
Come to the Dark Side....We have cookies!

2006 RE Electra-sold
2008 Triumph Bonneville T100-Faster
1 cozy sidecar to match both-Priceless!

johnny rocket

• Neophyte
« Reply #79 on: June 21, 2009, 09:17:24 PM »
Not on 85 into Atlanta.
just took the 85 up to the british in the blueridge...
best way to get something done is tell me i cant :)
the cheapest performance mod is going on a diet!
electra...3 months and 8000 miles

Ice

• Hypercafienated
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Ride In Paradise Cabo, Don and Ernie
« Reply #80 on: August 13, 2009, 01:55:41 PM »
 I think Triumph96driver answered the cross country worthiness question with his 3,000 mile ride.
I can break it better,,,,at night, in the rain, on the trail,, 20 miles from nowhere.

REA #136

"TIMEX", the '06 Iron Barrel Military that takes me everywhere I want to go... and some places I shouldn't.

baird4444

• Grand Gearhead
« Reply #81 on: August 13, 2009, 04:02:43 PM »
I think Triumph96driver answered the cross country worthiness question with his 3,000 mile ride.

But was it on the interstate??
   I'll bet ya an Autolite #63 it was 2 lane blacktop....
                     - Mike
        -Cody Baird
'My dear you are ugly,
 - Winston Churchill

Cabo Cruz

• Papa Juan
  • Grand Gearhead
« Reply #82 on: August 13, 2009, 04:12:38 PM »
I'm with you, Br. Mike.
Long live the Bullets and those who ride them!

Keep the shiny side up, the boots on the pegs and best REgards,

Papa Juan

REA:    Member No. 119
BIKE:   2004 Royal Enfield Sixty-5
NAME: Perla

Ice

• Hypercafienated
  • Grand Gearhead
« Reply #83 on: August 15, 2009, 08:44:24 AM »
But was it on the interstate??
   I'll bet ya an Autolite #63 it was 2 lane blacktop....
                     - Mike

Interstate as in coast to coast ?, Sure.
                               OR
Interstate like I-5 through L.A. or other major high speed freeways ? bad idea.
Short jaunts on highways with light traffic or lower speed limit sections? do able with caution.

That's my take anyhow.
I can break it better,,,,at night, in the rain, on the trail,, 20 miles from nowhere.

REA #136

"TIMEX", the '06 Iron Barrel Military that takes me everywhere I want to go... and some places I shouldn't.

baird4444

• Grand Gearhead
« Reply #84 on: August 15, 2009, 09:42:47 AM »
Interstate as in coast to coast ?, Sure.
                               OR
Interstate like I-5 through L.A. or other major high speed freeways ? bad idea.
Short jaunts on highways with light traffic or lower speed limit sections? do able with caution.
That's my take anyhow.
I think we both agree that these things are not high speed cruzers. When referring to Interstate most people are thinking the higher speed 4 lane. Inter-state as in going farther than the burger stand on Saturday...   HALE YES!!  I didn't get 30,000 miles by just going out fer Ice Cream with my main squeeze.
                           - Mike 
        -Cody Baird
'My dear you are ugly,
 - Winston Churchill

1Blackwolf1

• Grand Gearhead
« Reply #85 on: August 15, 2009, 01:58:41 PM »
  I've rode to the dealer, about 50 miles on true interstate, can be done but pack up a supply of no fear.  I just didn't look in the rear view a whole lot.  Kept it at 55-60 indicated (probably more like 50-55).  Won't quite suggest the open interstate for fun.  I'll take my 1500cc Drifter for that.  Nice to know you have a bunch of extra punch (95 hp) to move with traffic.  Give me an all other 4/2 lane and it's the Enfield all the way.  Will.
Will Morrison
2007 500 Military
2000 Victory V92SC
Many, many other toys.
The garage is full.

exiledcarper

• Bulleteer
« Reply #86 on: September 16, 2009, 12:20:40 AM »
CJ
I know what you mean.  I drove big rigs both side of the pond and the BIG difference is that all the trucks are MECHANICALLY governed to a max speed of 56mph.
  Takes them a bit longer to get there, but theres FAR FEWER wrecks involving big rigs.  Also monitered by an electronic tachograph, so it's much harder to get away with working too many hours etc.  Hauliers are also forbidden to pay their drivers by miles, but have to pay hourly.  No real incentive to break the law.
  All measure which could overnight make the interstates MUCH safer over here, along with banning re-capped tires on trucks.
I wouldn't want to ride a bike like an RE on the interstate as things stand today.
A

cyrusb

• Kept man
  • Grand Gearhead
« Reply #87 on: September 21, 2009, 08:16:44 PM »
Ok, after 6 pages I'd like to ammend my original NO to a YES. As long as it's on a trailer.

t120rbullet

• Grand Gearhead
« Reply #88 on: September 22, 2009, 12:02:17 AM »
Ok, after 6 pages I'd like to ammend my original NO to a YES. As long as it's on a trailer.

Ha, right on the money there.
CJ

jedaks

• Bulleteer
« Reply #89 on: April 12, 2010, 02:08:34 AM »
Hello from Queensland Australia. Thanks for all the valuable information. It has made me think before I spend my money. The RE dealer's job is to sell RE motorcycles, so he will say what he needs to say to get the sale.

Australia has 100 kph (about 60mph) limit with some stretches of road going to 110kph (70 mph).  The consenus is that the RE will cruise at 100 kph easily if it is given periodic (hourly?) rests to cool off (15 minutes long or so). I also assume it can do 110kph for a few minutes at a time but thats it.

I intend that my future RE (hopefully a new G5 or C5) be a commuter to work and home(very little traffic). I will need to ride at 60 mph for about 15 minutes (each way) 4-5 days a week.

My first question #1 Will a RE do this easily and reliably for years go come?

I also dream that a couple times a year my wife and I can ride country roads at 50-55 mph with occasional short stints on the interstate and have a romantic weekend getaway. Round trip of about 350 miles (over a long weekend)

My second question #2 Will a RE ,at these speeds, carry 2 people without problems (about 430 pounds)
My wife refuses to use a sidecar. So she must ride pillion

I have doubts about question 2. I really want a RE but I don't want my wife to feel totally excluded from the bike riding experience.

Thanks and I look forward to your responses

Ice

• Hypercafienated
  • Grand Gearhead
« Reply #90 on: April 12, 2010, 08:00:00 AM »
Welcome aboard jedaks,

My old Iron Barrel handles 155 kilos two for 50 Kilometers at up to 80 KPH on occasion without complaint.

I think two up as you describe at 85 KPH might be a bit much even for the vaunted UCE powered C5 and G5 machines.

Solo at 100KPH  should be no problem for the UCE's. Have you thought about a one for your Missus as well ?  8) They do come in nice colours.

REA #136

neil

• Bulleteer
  • Neil & Buzzy the Bullet
« Reply #91 on: August 25, 2010, 05:21:21 PM »
Hutch is Right!

"Go with the flow or die." Riding an enfield on the interstate is done only by someone with a death wish. I don't want to be riding along on the travel lane and have a semi pass me at 80 in the passing lane. Being sucked under all those duals under the box, not for me. I'll stick to the two lanes where 55 or 60 is just fine.

nmcop

• Neophyte
« Reply #92 on: January 13, 2011, 10:36:12 PM »
I would like to thank everyone for the hearty debate on the cruising ability of the bullet. I saw my first bullet, an 08 Military, for sale down the street from me and fell in love. I hit the internet and found my new girlfriend, the C5. My wife doesn't mind because she has her 500 Yamaha. My only concern was ability to cruise at 60-65. I don't really want to go any faster. Too old and lazy. THANKS

Ice

• Hypercafienated
  • Grand Gearhead
« Reply #93 on: January 14, 2011, 01:34:54 AM »
Welcome aboard nmcop.

Let us know when you bring her home to meet the wife  ;D

REA #136

OLD CRUISER

• Neophyte
« Reply #94 on: October 11, 2011, 01:17:49 AM »
I live in So. Cal. I run the interstate all the time.  I average 60 mph. I have never had a problem.  My travels take me through L.A. on the 10 now and then. 
 I drove big trucks for 15 years, and have learned the Smith system. It works for me.
I now wear a safety reflective vest.  I think that you are more likely to get nailed on city streets, where you have the possibility of people pulling out in front of you stopping etc.   :'( And the famous words "I DIDN'T SEE YOU'.
DRIVE AWARE ;D   

Lwt Big Cheese

• Grand Gearhead
  • Getting there, slowly...
« Reply #95 on: October 11, 2011, 09:02:01 AM »
What's the Smith system?
No warranty implied or given.
Packed in a protective atmosphere.
May contain nuts.

barenekd

• Grand Gearhead
« Reply #96 on: October 15, 2011, 05:47:14 PM »
My response is, since I go both ways, is use the freeways if you want to get someplace relatively quickly like a club ride that starts early in the morning and the meeting place is 60 or 80 miles away, and you'd have to get up two hours earlier to do it on the Streets.
I run the freeways at 60-65 in the RH lanes generally, maybe up to 70 to make a quick pass.I honestly have been keeping up with the slower traffic just fine on these SoCal roads. Probably my biggest gripe are these damn dirt trucks that get sand blown out of their trailers and that stuff smarts with a porridge pot helmet on. I guess I need to find one of my old scarves. I have been running LA freeways on 150+ mph motorcycles for over thirty years. Doing it on the Bullet takes a little different paradigm!
But, it wasn't a difficult transition. In fact, I rather enjoy it.
If I don't have to hurry, I use the streets, but it takes longer. On the other hand, I take a little different route every time and really get the lay of the land around here. It's amazing, the diversity I find. Anything from farms and ranches and orange groves to ethnically diverse towns and neighborhoods, big cities, nice little neighborhood twisties and little picturesque lakefront communities. It has been a real adventure just cruising around my own neighborhood and finking places I didn't know existed, even streets that are nice shortcuts that I never knew about.
The biggest difference I find is that, if I spend say 90% or so of my time on the freeway I get about 65 mpg. On the streets I get about 76 mpg. If I have the time it's the streets every time. If I were to go cross country, I'd never get on the freeway. You just miss too much. Can't find those Triple D restaurants on the freeway!
Bare
2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Racer
2011 Black Classic G5 (RIP)
I refuse to tiptoe through life only to arrive safely at death
http://www.controllineplans.com

Alan LaRue

• Bulleteer
  • Commute Time is Not the Worst Time of Day
« Reply #97 on: October 19, 2011, 02:56:22 PM »
When this thread started in 2007, I don't think there was a UCE. My opinion, having been commuting on I-10 into Houston now for a couple of weeks, is that my Bullet is quite adequate for freeway rush-hour use. I've slowed down some over the years, so that when I'm in my car I generally run 65-70 mph. Houston traffic on the east side has slowed down some, too, with many people going 60 even when it's clear ahead, and fewer doing 80. The Bullet feels fine at 65-70, though I can't yet speak to wear-and-tear.

I had a Yamaha V-Star Classic (650) a few years back, which may have had a bit more power, but weighed over 500 lbs, and it was no better suited to freeway speeds. I also had a Yamaha FZ-1 for about a year, with 140 hp, and I actually hit 130 once in order to insert myself into a spot in traffic where I wanted to be. Got where I wanted to be in a flash then looked at the speed and decided that I'd been stupid. (Sure was easy!) But I get around slower traffic in that spot nearly every day, and it was quite simple to run from 40 up to 70 mph on the Bullet this morning to hit that seemingly ever present space.

I bought it for the freeway commute, which is probably not typical use, but I like it better than anything else I've commuted on. Once I do my second oil change, I'll explore the limits of it's velocity, which I expect to be a bit over 80 mph.
Chinese food beats hopes and dreams any day.

GlennF

• Grand Gearhead
« Reply #98 on: December 21, 2011, 12:59:25 AM »

I bought it for the freeway commute, which is probably not typical use, but I like it better than anything else I've commuted on. Once I do my second oil change, I'll explore the limits of it's velocity, which I expect to be a bit over 80 mph.

My B5 winds out to 80 odd mph easy enough and seems happy to sit on 65-70 mph for longish periods.

HOWEVER be warned, even with a front disk the Bullet does not STOP very well from 80 mph :D  Just saying .....

iowarider

• Bulleteer
« Reply #99 on: December 21, 2011, 05:34:30 AM »
just curious, I have seen oil dip sticks with temperature gauges built in. Would watching oil temperature work? Sounds like it would be easier than trying to Gauge the air temp.
82, Honda CX500
82  Honda GL500
2004 Honda Shadow Spirit 750

barenekd

• Grand Gearhead
« Reply #100 on: December 23, 2011, 12:33:43 AM »
I had an oil temp gauge on a SR-500. Prompted me to put an oil cooler on it. Really didn't help much. You're much better off not knowing. Actually the SR ran at about 230 degrees.
I don't recall for sure, but I don't think it had any more oil capacity than the Enfield. I used to cruise at 75-80 with it. I don't go that fast with the Bullet. The SR was only rated at 29 or 30 hp, too.
So I ride my Bullet at a bit lower speed than the SR, but 65, +/-5, seems to be fine. As far as weight goes, I have ridden far lighter machines on the freeway with no problems. Te bigger factor comes with how much windage you have. That's a sailing term about the amount of side area the boat has to let it get blown around. If you look at racing sailboats, they don't have much cabin area sticking above the hull line. As for motorcycles, the more fairing area it have, the more it's going to get blown around.
I have ridden the Bullet in quite strong winds that would blow my Honda 900s and other Superbikes all over the road. The Bullet is pretty much unaffected by crosswinds comparatively. Wish I could say as much about headwinds!
As far as the front disk goes, It's more capable than the front tires to stop the bike. I have locked up the front wheel several times. If I had any more braking, it wold be even easier. As it is, it's pretty controllable.
So, to answer the question, it is Interstate-Worthy as long as you remain around the speed limit.  There have been several threads in the forum of guys who have gone on  cross country rides on their Bullets and used a lot of Interstates doing it. I don't recall any failures that were due to the bike. Someone falling off doesn't count. Frankly with an unfaired bike you wouldn't want to go much faster anyway.
Bare

« Last Edit: December 23, 2011, 12:40:59 AM by barenekd »
2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Racer
2011 Black Classic G5 (RIP)
I refuse to tiptoe through life only to arrive safely at death
http://www.controllineplans.com

cyrusb

• Kept man
  • Grand Gearhead
« Reply #101 on: January 17, 2012, 09:31:49 PM »
Here ya go

jedaks

• Bulleteer
« Reply #102 on: June 06, 2012, 09:47:07 AM »
yes it is interstate worthy...
between the hours of 0100 and 0445.

Alan LaRue

• Bulleteer
  • Commute Time is Not the Worst Time of Day
« Reply #103 on: June 06, 2012, 01:44:42 PM »
Thread is 5 years and counting!

Searched through your other posts, jedaks, to see what you were riding and where you are. Queensland traffic must be awful! What sort of cruising speed is comfortable with the 535?
Chinese food beats hopes and dreams any day.

gremlin

• Grand Gearhead
  • "Do one thing each day that scares you"
« Reply #104 on: June 06, 2012, 06:11:26 PM »
Speaking of ambient temperature, I wonder what the effect of humidity is on cooling.  If you took air at the same temperature, but changed the amount of humidity in it, would the cooling efficiency increase or decrease. 

Humidity adds thermal conductivity and thermal mass to any unit volume of air.  the temperature differential between hot metal and cool(er) air is the thermal pressure between the two.  Therefore ~ with any given motor & air temperature, adding humdity will increase the flow of heat out of the engine and into the atmosphere.
1996 Trophy 1200
2011 RE B5
1979 XS11 w/vetter terraplane
1981 XS11 streetfighter
1983 Venture Royale
1982 CB750K
1971 Triumph Trident
1969 CB450
1966 Sears (puch) 250