HPRE

Menu

Members Rides

Ice Cream Anyone !

in
Members Rides

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
October 21, 2014, 06:48:37 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Is the RE Interstate-Worthy?  (Read 27641 times)

doomed1

• The Pirate King
  • Bulleteer
Re: Is the RE Interstate-Worthy?
« Reply #30 on: June 30, 2008, 04:37:22 AM »
that still doesn't necessarily answer my question, which was will it cruise between 70 and 80? i know the bike is a lightweight compared to other stuff on the road and am well aware of the issues with riding on major highways, especially on light bikes. "interstate worthy" can mean alot of things, though my main concern is whether or not i'll be able to keep up with the majority of traffic regardless of other obstacles. i'll address the rest when i'm making my final decision on motorcycle make.

hutch

• Grease Monkey
  • Til death do us part
« Reply #31 on: June 30, 2008, 02:37:38 PM »
Doomed1, To be able to cruise at an easy rpm on the interstate at 70-80mph, and not be over stressing the motor, you need a bike capable of a top speed of at least 100mph or more. I owned a 650 Savage single with 30 hp and after changing to a chain drive with a highway ratio, it still was not interstate worthy. The 67 Royal Enfield Interceptor I own is interstate worthy, but it is a twin cylinder 750 with 60 hp. The RE Interceptor was built specificaly for the US market and the new interstate system at that time. The Bullet was built for the back road country driver that would occasionally hit a muddy cowpath. The Bullet is a niche bike. If it were built with the power for the interstate, it would lose it's appeal to far newer bikes, and in my case, lose all of it's appeal. I guess that is why I own so many different bikes. As my mother use to say " There is a place for everything, and everything belongs in it's place."     Hutch
« Last Edit: June 30, 2008, 03:32:18 PM by hutch »
You learn from your mistakes, and I have LEARNED a lot.

Bankerdanny

• Grand Gearhead
« Reply #32 on: June 30, 2008, 05:22:48 PM »
You could make an "interstate worthy" bullet, but the cost would be substantial and I think that long term reliability would be compromised. If I waned to build such a bike I might do it with this:

1. 535cc big bore kit with 8.5:1 piston
2. Stage 2 heads
3. 32mm Amal carb
4. Upgraded exhaust
5. High output oil pump
6. Performance cams
7. Alpha roller bearing
8. 20 tooth counter sprocket
9. Blue printed clutch

All this would probably double the output of your Enfield, but also double the price. The 20 tooth sprocket would keep highway revs reasonable and the extra power should allow the engine to easily handle the taller gearing.

However, by the time you have bought your Enfield and installed all this you have a $6-$7,000 bike. For that kind of money you could buy an Enfield for easy weekend rides and a used BMW or Concours for highway trips or a new Kawasak Versys or KLR 650 or Suzuki Vstrom that are practical around town as well as the highway.

I can see the appeal of building such a bike, but in the end I don't think it is worth the cost.
Endeavor To Persevere

Jon

• Bulleteer
« Reply #33 on: June 30, 2008, 08:00:49 PM »
Reading this with interest as I am thinking of the AVL Bullet as a commuter bike.

In the UK magazines the consensus seems to be that the AVL Bullet can run
at motorway speeds. The brit importers say the engine is safe to 40BHP and the
Bullet XR cafe racer gives 30BHP and a top whack of about 100-105MPH.

I am intrigued by the frequent assertions that the Bullet is too light for freeway
work as weightwise it's not much lighter than a Brit 650/750 twin which
can still cope.

The stock AVL I have seen quoted as having approx 27BHP if you fit
the free flowing exhaust and a carb kit. Given the bikes weight and that
five speed box I would reckon that should equate to a 90mph top wack
and 70mph cruise. On paper that would equate to the last of the Redditch
"big head" Bullets but I suspect that the AVL would be much more reliable.

WANTING to ride on the freeway is something else again and not much fun at all
even on a Sportster and horrible on a WL45!

doomed1

• The Pirate King
  • Bulleteer
« Reply #34 on: July 01, 2008, 12:44:50 AM »
jon provided the best answer here, and that was basically, with some modification, the AVL model theoretically should be able to cruise the low end of the highway. what i want to know is if the new UCE engine with EFI will allow the bike to cruise within the range of 70-80 miles per hour. i'm fully aware that current models, while they do get close, they do not maintain a 75mph speed. i was wondering if the new UCE model, with it's extra torque and power over even the AVL model, will be able to maintain highway speeds with the proper gearing. if no one knows, that's fine. i'm waiting on the new engine to see how well it turns out. i am also heavily considering getting a Kawasaki Versys as well, so it's not as if i'm totally fixating on this bike, i just like it alot as an option, and i find it worth it enough to wait for next year's model if it can meet my needs better. i'm a bit more shrewd about this than some may realize, while at the same time, i'm excited for the prospect of this bike being able to go highway speeds.

either way, thank you all for trying to steer me in a direction that you would be best for me to take with a new motorcycle. i still hope to cut my teeth on a UCE engine Bullet as soon as they come out and become an official member of this fine community that's sprung up around this motorcycle.

cyrusb

• Kept man
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Theres a last time for everything
« Reply #35 on: July 01, 2008, 12:48:43 AM »
Jon, who said the Brit twins could cope? Even they fell to the punishment of the American freeway. The Bullets low weight, (500e 340 dry) and lousy suspension really make for a handfull at freeway speeds. Just the expansion joints alone are killers.Then there is the brakes, good to 60mph after that you are on your own. You can certainly do whatever you like, but on the freeway you'll be the lowest tech machine out there, an oil lamp at a halogen party.

Bankerdanny

• Grand Gearhead
« Reply #36 on: July 01, 2008, 04:41:04 AM »
The few times I have had mine on the highway I didn't feel that the bike was too light. the bigger issue was that I was running about flat out and had nothing less to accelerate myself out of trouble if I needed to.

The non--avl bullets are highway capable, but not highway comfortable.

Plus the upright riding position is not very comfortable at highway speeds.
Endeavor To Persevere

Jon

• Bulleteer
« Reply #37 on: July 01, 2008, 07:42:11 PM »
I said Brit twins could cope and I'll stand by that remark,particularly regarding
the Norton Commando and Triumph T140 which in good order are quite capable
of maintaining speeds of 70-90 mph.
I will qualify the statement and repeat that I don't think it would be a paticularly
enjoyable experiance and you'd better have made good use of loctite in your
maintainace schedule!
Mind you the on the stretch of 580 I drive in commute hours you'd be doing well
to average 40 mph most mornings!

Bankerdanny

• Grand Gearhead
« Reply #38 on: July 01, 2008, 09:08:34 PM »
I'd be surprised if the UCE bikes are much faster than the current crop. I don't see a big jump in power coming.

The issue is the low compression, run in any condition on the crappiest gas nature of the bikes.

They still designed primarily for the Indian market, and 70mph cruising ability is just not an important factor.

I just don't see the 500 Enfield ever being a strong out of the box highway vehicle.
Endeavor To Persevere

Eamon

• Grand Gearhead
  • Good golly Miss Molly
« Reply #39 on: July 02, 2008, 12:00:26 AM »
I'd be surprised if the UCE bikes are much faster than the current crop. I don't see a big jump in power coming.

The issue is the low compression, run in any condition on the crappiest gas nature of the bikes.

They still designed primarily for the Indian market, and 70mph cruising ability is just not an important factor.

I just don't see the 500 Enfield ever being a strong out of the box highway vehicle.

Well, i'm pretty sure I read on one of the threads about the UCE that the 500 would produce about 30hp in stock form.  That's quite a bit more power than the current bike.  The issue of whether or not it's a good idea to spend time on the interstate with it or not may a separate issue, but it does indeed sound like there will be a significant bump up in power.

Eamon
Eamon in Seattle
2006 Bullet 500 Deluxe
http://www.sterlingloons.com

cyrusb

• Kept man
  • Grand Gearhead
« Reply #40 on: July 02, 2008, 03:10:03 PM »
Did anyone mention vibration? Even the big inch Brit twins I have owned were absolute torture at high speeds. "Makes Your Brain Itch"  is a good term to describe it. Not only did this vibration assault  you, but it did a good job of destroying the bike. Bullets share the same malady at high speeds. They were not made for that kind of service, period.

doomed1

• The Pirate King
  • Bulleteer
« Reply #41 on: July 02, 2008, 04:04:40 PM »
Did anyone mention vibration? Even the big inch Brit twins I have owned were absolute torture at high speeds. "Makes Your Brain Itch"  is a good term to describe it. Not only did this vibration assault  you, but it did a good job of destroying the bike. Bullets share the same malady at high speeds. They were not made for that kind of service, period.
thing is, that's not really what we're talking about. right now we're trying to project as to whether or not the Bullet 500 UCE is capable of maintaining highway speeds. we're already well aware that ironhead or even AVL engines lack the power and speed to go that fast, but i wanted to know about how the UCE engine theoretically should hold up.

cyrusb

• Kept man
  • Grand Gearhead
« Reply #42 on: July 02, 2008, 06:46:05 PM »
I could not see that much difference between Iron classic and UCE without divine intervention. The UCE is still a un-counterbalanced large single, should it vibrate less? Who knows.  Have you ever ridden a bullet? If not, go for a test ride and arrive at your own decision. See ya on the expressway!

Foggy_Auggie

• Grand Gearhead
« Reply #43 on: July 02, 2008, 09:02:39 PM »
I could not see that much difference between Iron classic and UCE without divine intervention. The UCE is still a un-counterbalanced large single, should it vibrate less? Who knows.  Have you ever ridden a bullet? If not, go for a test ride and arrive at your own decision. See ya on the expressway!

Don't know about the UCE but the iron engine does have a balanced crankshaft.  And the crank web cheeks are so beefy and heavy there is no need for an outboard flywheel.  The crank web plates are the flywheels.

Enfield historically dynamically balanced their crankshafts.  Both their twins and single cylinders were by reputation the smoothest of the British designs.
Diagonally parked in a parallel universe.

Fortiter Et Fideliter

doomed1

• The Pirate King
  • Bulleteer
« Reply #44 on: July 02, 2008, 11:05:33 PM »
Don't know about the UCE but the iron engine does have a balanced crankshaft.  And the crank web cheeks are so beefy and heavy there is no need for an outboard flywheel.  The crank web plates are the flywheels.

Enfield historically dynamically balanced their crankshafts.  Both their twins and single cylinders were by reputation the smoothest of the British designs.
even smoother than the Brough Superior? i mean, i love the thump of an Enfield, but a Brough's purr just sends chills down my spine.

and considering it the UCE is a modern engine design, i expect that the engine vibration would at least be a little lower than even the AVL. sure, it might not be the best for long distances, but that all has to do with the rider. i just want to know if the bike can keep up.