HPRE

Menu

Members Rides

1956 Super Meteor

in
Members Rides

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
December 22, 2014, 10:09:26 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Is the RE Interstate-Worthy?  (Read 28780 times)

GreenMachine

• Grand Gearhead
Re: Is the RE Interstate-Worthy?
« Reply #45 on: July 03, 2008, 09:50:36 PM »
Doom1; Best answer re. new UCE and performing 70-80 for extended beltway type traffic is '"if u are crazy enough to do it/my hats off to you"..Just finished up exhaust/intake and carb mods on my 06 iron and had it up to 80mph + for a short duration...The bike is not safe to ride at these speed..(I'm talking about my 06 iron)...Of course I haven't seen or ridden this new bike (UCE) but can't imagine the stock form is any better than what I have just done...With the current mods I just completed, my bike rides at 50-60 now with little effort as it breathes better with the K N modification, Brit exhaust and carb rejetting...Note: Believe the owner manual that came with my bike recommends nothing over 70 mph...This is not your freeway/highway 30 mile commuter with speeds in excess of 65 mph mean machine...Open highway, no traffic, yes I've had it at 65-70 for short spurts but I wouldn't want anyone bearing down on me in a SUV....As u are aware, the cagers with their phones, IPODS and now I hear Text messaging will kill you...Don't give them additional ammo by riding an enfield in the tidy bowl we call commuting to work ....just my thoughts what they are worth.cheers
Oh Magoo you done it again

cyrusb

• Kept man
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Theres a last time for everything
« Reply #46 on: July 06, 2008, 08:48:54 PM »
Personally, I cant believe this question is still up in the air. I have to believe the only people still asking it have never ridden a bullet . Four pages is a lot of dialogue for "NO" .. As for the balance issue, Of course the Enfield has a counterbalaced crank, but what it lacks is the separate driven counterbalancer that smoother modern big singles have. Would a Goldwing make a good trail bike?

GreenMachine

• Grand Gearhead
« Reply #47 on: July 06, 2008, 09:26:31 PM »
Guess its hard to just say No as a direct reply...I just hate to see someone get a machine that they are expecting something else and then disappointed in the fact that it is incapable of satisfying their expectation...I love the bullet for what it is and I understand what it is not...Its a 1955-1958 Machine with a few technology improvement (ES, 5speed, etc.)...I hate to hear someone getting mangled on a freeway or interstate because the machine was incapable of getting out of a bad situation...Not like my drum brakes are going to stop on a dime or goose it to 90 MPH for a short burst...Realize everyone doesn't have a stable of bikes to choose from for the day..That being stated, I use my 1100 for serious driving and the 500 single for the back way into town and leisurely cruising my county...I don't get into flying by the seat of my pants on the Enfield going 70 MPH....The bike can do it if you modify a few things but it sure does get a bit ricketty vice sitting back in the saddle on a 03 Star...Just  my opinion but feel its an honest one...Cheers

Bankerdanny

• Grand Gearhead
« Reply #48 on: July 07, 2008, 08:40:40 PM »
I had mine out Sunday and spent about 20 minutes on a 4 lane divided highway cruising at about 60-65.

Even if you mod your bike to cruise at 70 comfortably, it still won't be comfortable. The high frequency vibration through the seat and bars wears on you fast.
Endeavor To Persevere

baird4444

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2003 ES 500... 38,416 miles, I'm done
« Reply #49 on: July 07, 2008, 09:33:02 PM »
Personally, I cant believe this question is still up in the air. I have to believe the only people still asking it have never ridden a bullet . Four pages is a lot of dialogue for "NO" .. As for the balance issue, Of course the Enfield has a counterbalaced crank, but what it lacks is the separate driven counterbalancer that smoother modern big singles have. Would a Goldwing make a good trail bike?

Would a Goldwing make a good trail bike?
That's funny!!   I think you've finally cum up with the perfect analogy that should
put an END to this thread....
                  - IMO -- Mike
"You can't drink all day if you don't start in the morning!! "
        -Cody Baird
'My dear you are ugly,
 but tomorrow I shall be sober and you will still be ugly'
 - Winston Churchill

jonapplegate

• Grand Gearhead
  • you stand tall when you stoop to help
« Reply #50 on: July 09, 2008, 05:48:00 AM »
I think we should also not lose sight of the fact that highway speeds will be at the very upper limit of these machines peak output so the wear and tear is going to immense. I seem to recall something once said about 80% of wear is created by the last 10% of an engines output or something to that effect.

1Blackwolf1

• Grand Gearhead
  • Looking for the next rebuild project....
« Reply #51 on: September 21, 2008, 07:48:59 PM »
I have personally rode mine and my wifes on the interstate to bring them home. If you have a substantial pair and don't scare easily, go ahead. But a bike that cruises at right around 55 stock ( I only went about 45 since I was breaking them in) may not be the best interstate machine especially since they generate alot of heat and lorries don't give a rip if they pull you along/under.  Good Luck.
Will Morrison
2007 500 Military
2000 Kawasaki Drifter 1500
2000 Victory V92SC
1976 Suzuki GT185 Rebuilder Special..AKA (Junkyard Dog)
Many, many other toys.
The garage is full.

calman28556

• Bulleteer
« Reply #52 on: September 22, 2008, 02:18:27 AM »
On my C2C2C trip, until I ran into mechanical problems, ,l ran my Bullet with Hack on I-40 at a consistent 55 MPH.  Sometimes I got it up to 65 MPH in a few short stretches "to see how it handled".  It handled very well and the other drivers on the road were just as courteous and respectful to me as I was to them.  Averaged 53 MPG. 

My biggest problem was the road in Arkansas and Oklahoma - it was like being on a perpetual speed bump and it "ate" a new rear tire really fast. 
On the Road - Again. And Again, And Again.

geoffbaker

« Reply #53 on: September 25, 2008, 02:45:59 PM »

My biggest problem was the road in Arkansas and Oklahoma - it was like being on a perpetual speed bump and it "ate" a new rear tire really fast. 

That Arkansas highway was horrible... I remember it well. Last time I went, though, it was much improved...

doomed1

• The Pirate King
  • Bulleteer
« Reply #54 on: October 08, 2008, 07:39:40 PM »
well, it's been confirmed via the REM site: the new Royal Enfield Bullet Classic UCE will be capable of cruising speeds of 70 miles per hour for highways, making it very Interstate worthy, at stock levels no less.

well, i'm excited ;D

speed metal

• Neophyte
« Reply #55 on: October 28, 2008, 06:02:28 AM »
i rode my 500 bullet to the sturgis mc rally from denver this year and its 810 miles round trip! the only problem i had was the headlight regulator went out and burned out my lights. the bike is super light and hauls! 80- 85 mph most of the way and it tops out at 101 mph said my friend riding beside me! i had to keep up with two triumphs! i got about 65 mpg on the highway and had a bigger tank on the bike for the ride but for around town i run a one gallon tank i hand formed myself.

Leonard

• Grand Gearhead
  • I love this bike!!
« Reply #56 on: October 28, 2008, 10:31:33 PM »
i rode my 500 bullet to the sturgis mc rally from denver this year and its 810 miles round trip! the only problem i had was the headlight regulator went out and burned out my lights. the bike is super light and hauls! 80- 85 mph most of the way and it tops out at 101 mph said my friend riding beside me! i had to keep up with two triumphs! i got about 65 mpg on the highway and had a bigger tank on the bike for the ride but for around town i run a one gallon tank i hand formed myself.

WOW!  Sure would like to know what mods you have done to your bullet to make it run like that.
2009 Triumph Bonneville T100
2004 Royal Enfield Sixty-5 (RIP)
2001 Kawasaki W650 (going, going...gone)
http://www.romeoriders.com

PhilJ

• Grand Gearhead
« Reply #57 on: October 28, 2008, 11:12:09 PM »
Have your speedometer checked.

hutch

• Grease Monkey
  • Til death do us part
« Reply #58 on: October 29, 2008, 01:40:49 PM »
If the bike you are talking about is the one pictured in your avatar, then I can see how it would go that fast. With the right gearing , hop up parts and weight, you  can make anything fast. I do believe that the question here is about interstate speeds with a "mostly" stock configured bike. Congrats on your bike. I like chopped down fast bikes, But prefer to keep my Bullet in it's beautiful, nostalgic stock form., even though mine is sporting apehangers, solo seat, and upswept fishtail exhaust, with small performance mods. Mine will cruise at 60mph all day, but is really straining at 70+mph. 80mpgallon is the norm, but interstate riding is out of the question. In my home state you would get run over from behind, or blown off the road by a semi passing you at 80mph. Back when the speed limit was 55mph it was feasable, but not with the speeds people drive now on the interstate. I have been riding for 43 years, on Harleys, Hondas, Triumphs, BSA's and currently own 7 bikes ranging from 270cc up to my 1639cc(120hp) custom I built. Of all the bikes I own, only the '67 Royal Enfield Interceptor 750 and the 120 HP Custom are ever riden on the interstate. The others are to light and slow to be safe. That is just my oppinion. Once again, "nice job of customizing your RE"     Hutch
« Last Edit: October 29, 2008, 01:51:52 PM by hutch »
You learn from your mistakes, and I have LEARNED a lot.

GreenMachine

• Grand Gearhead
« Reply #59 on: October 29, 2008, 09:15:18 PM »
speed metal: post us a pic of your metal machine...thumbnail isn't cutting it....