HPRE

Menu

Members Rides

500DL 2009

in
Members Rides

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
September 03, 2014, 02:10:49 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Is the RE Interstate-Worthy?  (Read 27213 times)

The Garbone

• Shade Tree
  • Grand Gearhead
  • User Complaints: 22
Re: Is the RE Interstate-Worthy?
« Reply #60 on: October 30, 2008, 12:51:57 AM »
Personally, I cant believe this question is still up in the air. I have to believe the only people still asking it have never ridden a bullet . Four pages is a lot of dialogue for "NO" .. As for the balance issue, Of course the Enfield has a counterbalaced crank, but what it lacks is the separate driven counterbalancer that smoother modern big singles have. Would a Goldwing make a good trail bike?

Would a Goldwing make a good trail bike?
That's funny!!   I think you've finally cum up with the perfect analogy that should
put an END to this thread....
                  - IMO -- Mike

Check out this... =====>Whats that grinding sound..lol <====
Gary
57' RE Crusader 250
67' Ford Mustang
74' Catalina 27 "Knot a Clew"
95 RE Ace Clubman 535
01 HD 1200 Custom
07 RE 5spd HaCK

* all actions described in this post are fictional *

speed metal

• Neophyte
« Reply #61 on: October 30, 2008, 05:46:10 AM »
is the RE interstate worthy? well mine is. but only because i made it that way. its deff not for everyone but that's the beauty of bikes right? build it how you like it! i wanted to ride something different so i bought an RE. i also wanted to ride it on the highway and be able to keep up with my triumph Buddy's and there is nothing better for me than to do it with a thumper! that is exciting for me! i havent done much to the motor. rockers, alum. push rods, amel 32, my own intake manifold, high flow oil pumps dual plug head and open exhaust i welded up. its a 4 speed with stock gears all around. most every thing that wasnt needed was taken off. i made a 4" longer swing arm and made some struts for it. the fork is also lowered. i think what makes it work is that its so light. there are some big pics in members rides under tried to kill me as i wrecked it a few weeks back. ill put some more pics up when i get it back together! and for whoever said check your speed-o i dont have any gauges, that's just what my friends traveling with me said. and you are right maybe all there speed-os are off but save the attitude for someone that isnt into the best bikes ever. long live the RE!

geoffbaker

« Reply #62 on: October 31, 2008, 02:42:36 PM »
! and for whoever said check your speed-o i dont have any gauges, that's just what my friends traveling with me said.

So when you're riding alone, do you judge your speed by the number of flashing lights behind you ? :D

johnny rocket

• Neophyte
« Reply #63 on: February 27, 2009, 01:04:54 AM »
one more time...
i ran mine on the interstate from coast to coast (cali to ga.)wtfo laying on the tank with flipped handlebars.
 bone stock.
i destroyed a rear sprocket but ran 75 the whole way.
WTFO! Downhill ive seen the speedo hit 90+
through the mountains ive had trouble getting it up to 65
as for the wind... fight it or get a goldwing
the cheapest performance mod is going on a diet!
electra...3 months and 8000 miles

t120rbullet

• Grand Gearhead
« Reply #64 on: February 27, 2009, 02:14:38 AM »
i ran mine on the interstate from coast to coast (cali to ga.)

That's quite a feat on an Enfield.
I hope you documented it and are going to share it with us?
CJ
1999 Enfield 500 Black Deluxe "Silver"
2012 Concours 14 (no name yet)
2013 Royal Star Venture S  "Jelly Roll"

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
  • World leaders in racing or performance Bullets
« Reply #65 on: February 27, 2009, 02:21:50 AM »
i ran mine on the interstate from coast to coast (cali to ga.)

That's quite a feat on an Enfield.
I hope you documented it and are going to share it with us?
CJ

Quite the torture test, fer sure!

3000 miles at 5300 rpm!

I guess they don't call him "Johnny Rocket" for nothing!
Home of the ACE Fireball 535 Bullet,  Ace GP Hi-Lift Roller Rocker Head . Pistons, cams, etc. Highest performance Bullet engine mods available .  AVL mods. Redditch 700/750 Twin mods. UCE kit soon.

Please visit my new website:
http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/AcePerformanceBullets/

Malc

• Neophyte
« Reply #66 on: March 03, 2009, 09:15:47 PM »
In GB the trucks are limited to 56mph, this is good for bullet riders. On my 500 I have gone quite a ways on motorways (freeways) by keeping with the trucks. Follow a truck thats doing your required speed, keep a good gap apart for the view, and simply follow it. Then when you want to have a blast, do so, till she needed a rest again and back to 55 for 20miles or so!

The thing is, other faster trucks simply overtake as do the cars, nothing bothers you from behind. It's not perfect of course, what is, but it is a solution at least? My latest solution though is to go 612cc and raise the gearing 2 teeth, so we will see! Thing is, if turns out that I just dont like cruising the bull at car speeds, roughly 70-75, I know I can just go back to what I used to do at 500 speeds if need be, use a truck!

Malc.

Thumper

• Psalm 23
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Classic Wannabe
« Reply #67 on: March 04, 2009, 12:48:56 PM »
In GB the trucks are limited to 56mph, ...Malc.

Here in the US we have regulations and rules too, like stopping at stop signs and stopping at red lights and using turn signals and dimming hi-beams for oncoming vehicles - you know basically being considerate of others (and safer) that, unfortunately, too many people simply choose to ignore and just do whatever they want....

Flame off.

Matt

t120rbullet

• Grand Gearhead
« Reply #68 on: March 04, 2009, 12:56:31 PM »

Here in Michigan trucks are limited to 55 mph.
If you can find one doing less than 70 mph let me know because I've never seen one.
Cars and motorcycles are limited to 70 mph.
Rarely do you see one go less than 80 unless they are in the fast lane.
Definitely not Bullet territory.
CJ

hutch

• Grease Monkey
  • Til death do us part
« Reply #69 on: March 04, 2009, 02:45:45 PM »

Here in Michigan trucks are limited to 55 mph.
If you can find one doing less than 70 mph let me know because I've never seen one.
Cars and motorcycles are limited to 70 mph.
Rarely do you see one go less than 80 unless they are in the fast lane.
Definitely not Bullet territory.
CJ

See, that is what I told you about drivers on the interstate in MI. Bullet are for back roads here. Even the 2 lane state roads with 55mph limits are dangerous for the Bullets at times, since most people drive 65mph to 70mph on those, including semis. City and 2 lane secondary country roads are the only safe place to ride a Bullet in MI. Hutch
You learn from your mistakes, and I have LEARNED a lot.

t120rbullet

• Grand Gearhead
« Reply #70 on: March 04, 2009, 04:54:57 PM »
See, that is what I told you about drivers on the interstate in MI. Bullet are for back roads here. Even the 2 lane state roads with 55mph limits are dangerous for the Bullets at times, since most people drive 65mph to 70mph on those, including semis. City and 2 lane secondary country roads are the only safe place to ride a Bullet in MI. Hutch

And that's if the potholes don't suck you in.
Never to be seen or heard from again.

hutch

• Grease Monkey
  • Til death do us part
« Reply #71 on: March 04, 2009, 05:54:55 PM »

LOL.....That is why I opted for the sprung solo seat. The bike might disappear, but maybe I will get bounced out of a deep pothole, and be able to winch the bike out of the black abys.
You learn from your mistakes, and I have LEARNED a lot.

1Blackwolf1

• Grand Gearhead
  • Looking for the next rebuild project....
« Reply #72 on: March 05, 2009, 01:47:49 AM »

Sounds like Wisconsin also.  Our potholes will swallow a VW bug in one gulp..and the tailgater behind you will just run down what's left of you.  Will.
LOL.....That is why I opted for the sprung solo seat. The bike might disappear, but maybe I will get bounced out of a deep pothole, and be able to winch the bike out of the black abys.
Will Morrison
2007 500 Military
2000 Kawasaki Drifter 1500
2000 Victory V92SC
1976 Suzuki GT185 Rebuilder Special..AKA (Junkyard Dog)
Many, many other toys.
The garage is full.

Malc

• Neophyte
« Reply #73 on: March 09, 2009, 10:40:06 PM »
I see you blokes aint got no faith in your truckers! Well, neither have I really I drove 18 wheelers for 30 years myself. The way they got us to obey the law over here is simple, they fitted speed limiters!  ;D

As far as all the other stuff goes, stop signs, lights ect, ect, we must just be better drivers over here then, eh what!  :-* ;D

t120rbullet

• Grand Gearhead
« Reply #74 on: March 09, 2009, 10:49:21 PM »
I see you blokes aint got no faith in your truckers! Well, neither have I really I drove 18 wheelers for 30 years myself.

I've got all the faith in the world for truckers.
Pound for Pound their are some of the best drivers on the road.
But something about looking at those big tires spinning a couple of feet away from me while I'm on my woefully inadequate Bullet just don't appeal to me. There are better choices to be had both for roads for the Bullet and bikes for the freeway.
CJ