HPRE

Menu

Members Rides

Bullet the blue sky

in
Members Rides

40 Guests, 4 Users
rtillery02, heloego, 72westie, klr
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
December 22, 2014, 03:47:41 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Changing Bulbs to LEDs  (Read 13983 times)

Grommit

• Green is Beautiful
  • Neophyte
Changing Bulbs to LEDs
« on: April 05, 2009, 11:19:08 PM »
Some time ago there was a post about LED bulbs as replacement for the stock filament bulbs. Here is my contribution to the discussion. My bike is a 2009 Military.

I have replaced the BA9s "Pilot" bulbs with brighter white LED bulbs. The white is actually closer to the blue one sees in the specialty headlamps. I'm going to order up a set of LED turn signal lamps. An LED has an "instant on, instant off" characterstic that is perceived by the human eye faster than an incandescent bulb which "fades in, fades out". That alone is a good reason for using them on a motorcycle!

I have the 4 amber turn signal, white tail/brake, and the BA9s lamps for the speedometer (green turn, blue hi beam, green neutral, white speedometer face lamp) and another white for the ammeter. I'm waiting for an opportunity to dig into the headlamp shell to get at those bulbs. With sunglasses/dark goggles it is almost impossible to see the turn signal indicator lamp. It's easier to watch for the flickering of the ammeter. Hopefully the new LED will be brighter than the stock bulb.

The total cost to replace all the bulbs comes to $42.71 plus shipping of around $4. It seems like a lot but the reliability factor makes it worthwhile to me. Add to the cost of the bulbs a flasher designed for the LED bulbs, $12.95 (solid state).

I bought the LED bulbs from superbrightleds.com. I've used their 24V LED bulbs for a couple of years and they are great.
1960 Daimler Ferret Armoured Car
2007 Honda Shadow Sabre
2009 Bullet Military

Rick Sperko

• Grand Gearhead
  • Milwaukee, WI
Re: Changing Bulbs to LEDs
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2009, 12:23:22 AM »
I replaced all of my bulbs with LEDs except for the headlight and am really happy with them. Bought them from the same place. Oh, I added the LED tombstone tail light too, and hooked in one of the blink several times then go solid brake light devices.

I had someone turn left in front of me last year and ended up with a broken arm, so I am determined to be as visible as possible, while not relying on the other guy.

-Rick
Rick in Milwaukee, WI

'06 RE Bullet Classic Iron
'63 VW Beetle Ragtop (also classic)
'66 Chris Craft Cavalier Cutlass 26'
'02 BMW R1150R

Grommit

• Green is Beautiful
  • Neophyte
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2009, 01:26:01 AM »
This is from Superbrightleds - others may have similar prices. The later bikes have 12 bulbs total.

Bulb, 1157, white (tail and brake), 1157-W24, $12.99
Bulb, 67, amber (L/F turn signal), 67-A15, $4.95
Bulb, 67, amber (L/R turn signal), 67-A15, $4.95
Bulb, 67, amber (R/F turn signal), 67-A15, $4.95
Bulb, 67, amber (R/R turn signal), 67-A15, $4.95
Bulb, BA9s, super blue (high beam indicator), A9s-B4, $2.98
Bulb, BA9s, super green (neutral indicator), BA9S-G4, $2.98
Bulb, BA9s, super green (turn signal indicator), BA9S-G4,  $2.98
Bulb, BA9s, super white (right pilot lamp), BA9S-W4, $2.98
Bulb, BA9s, super white (left pilot lamp), BA9S-W4, $2.98
Bulb, BA9s, super white (ammeter), BA9S-W4, $2.98
Bulb, BA7s, white (speedometer), BA7S-W, $1.49
LED (or incandescent) Bulb Flasher Unit, CF12ANL-01, $12.95
TOTAL, $65.11
(shipping was $5)
With this setup you may never have change out a bulb as long as you own the bike! They claim 50,000 hours on the LEDs.
« Last Edit: April 07, 2009, 08:14:17 PM by Grommit »
2007 Honda Shadow Sabre
2009 Bullet Military

geoffbaker

« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2009, 01:32:50 AM »
grommit, if you dig back on the forum on LEDs you should come across my contribution as well. I built a 73-LED unit that fit in the taillamp of the existing bullet and was twice as bright as a standard filament lamp... also all flashers, instrument lamps etc converted to LED.

Grommit

• Green is Beautiful
  • Neophyte
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2009, 08:11:45 PM »
grommit, if you dig back on the forum on LEDs you should come across my contribution as well. I built a 73-LED unit that fit in the taillamp of the existing bullet and was twice as bright as a standard filament lamp... also all flashers, instrument lamps etc converted to LED.

I wanted to list just the simple items that were "plug 'n play", with virtually no mechanical or electrical skills involved. How many Enfield owners does it take to change a lightbulb? Only one, I hope.
2007 Honda Shadow Sabre
2009 Bullet Military

BigDon

• Grease Monkey
« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2009, 02:37:43 PM »
Grommit

Is the LED (1157-w24 ) as bright as the current incandescent?

Same question on the turn indicators.

Thanks
Big Don
BigDon
REA #73
08 RE Classic, the last of the Iron Barrel Bikes.(FireBall!)
05 Suzuki DRZ 400, for haulin' xxx in the woods!
09 BMW R1200GSA for a change of pace!
http://www.youtube.com/user/SlooDon#p/u

Rick Sperko

• Grand Gearhead
  • Milwaukee, WI
« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2009, 03:03:19 PM »
Quote from: BigDon  link=topic=3881.msg43626#msg43626 date=1239287863
Grommit

Thanks
Big Don

You can see some pictures showing the differences here: http://www.enfieldmotorcycles.com/forum/index.php/topic,2729.15.html

Those are 1156 to 1156 comparisons, but should give a feel for the brightness of an 1157.

-Rick
« Last Edit: April 09, 2009, 07:44:36 PM by Rick Sperko »
Rick in Milwaukee, WI

'06 RE Bullet Classic Iron
'63 VW Beetle Ragtop (also classic)
'66 Chris Craft Cavalier Cutlass 26'
'02 BMW R1150R

geoffbaker

« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2009, 07:30:03 PM »
Quote from: BigDon  link=topic=3881.msg43626#msg43626 date=1239287863
Grommit

Thanks
Big Don

Don, I bought some 5W luxeons - the brightest on the market - and while they were brighter than the regular incandescent, they also are incredibly delicate - both mine blew thanks to loose tongues & wires in the housing...

I built a very simple LED twice as bright as the standard incandescent for about $20. It required soldering three wires, if I remember right... very easy.

Look it up on the threads if you're interested.

BigDon

• Grease Monkey
« Reply #8 on: April 09, 2009, 08:50:33 PM »
Thanks Geoff.
BigDon
REA #73
08 RE Classic, the last of the Iron Barrel Bikes.(FireBall!)
05 Suzuki DRZ 400, for haulin' xxx in the woods!
09 BMW R1200GSA for a change of pace!
http://www.youtube.com/user/SlooDon#p/u

geoffbaker

« Reply #9 on: April 10, 2009, 03:58:12 AM »
You're welcome, Don.

I forgot to add, I also built my own 37-LED turn indicators, also brighter than stock, for $15 each. I also added a "lightbar" on the back which is both brake and turn signal, and everyone comments on how visible the bike is. And all use about 1/30 the draw of standard incandescents.

Think of it this way... you can keep adding LEDs till you look like a Christmas tree... and still save on power consumption... ultimately, LEDs are much better, unless you are confined to using stock LEDs in the original housing. These tend to be less powerful.

I think I posted some comparison pictures, too...

Grommit

• Green is Beautiful
  • Neophyte
« Reply #10 on: April 10, 2009, 07:55:39 PM »
I had not yet ridden my Military at night, so the discovery I made was inside the garage, lights off. I wanted to see how bright the LED lamps were in the dark.

Big surprise! For some reason when the left lamps are blinking, the right lamps also blink, but very, very dimly. Same with the right signals, left LEDs blink dimly. There is apparently a crossover somewhere in the turn signal circuit.

After I stopped to think about it, I don't mind if the opposite turn lamp blinks very dimly as the additional blinking might help bring attention to the fact that the rider is going to turn, There is no comparison in the intensity between the selected lamp and the dim one. Strange, but something I can easily live with!
2007 Honda Shadow Sabre
2009 Bullet Military

Grommit

• Green is Beautiful
  • Neophyte
« Reply #11 on: April 10, 2009, 08:06:52 PM »
The LED bulbs are available in various configurations. A bulb may have anywhere from 4 to 24 or more LED bulbs clustered in the base. You can determine which LED type will fit in your housing, and that way select the level of brightness based on the number of LEDs. My tail/brake LED is an 1157 base with 24 LEDs. I would have perferred to use a red bulb but need white for the license plate illumination.
My amber turn bulbs have 24 LEDs, and the BA9s pilot and other lamps are 4 LED bulbs.
I've also reactivated the right handlebar lamp switch. Military vehicles have to be able to switch off visible lamps. An added plus is not having the headlamp and tail lamp on when using the electric starter, so the only lamp on is the neutral lamp.
2007 Honda Shadow Sabre
2009 Bullet Military

geoffbaker

« Reply #12 on: April 11, 2009, 04:33:07 AM »
I had not yet ridden my Military at night, so the discovery I made was inside the garage, lights off. I wanted to see how bright the LED lamps were in the dark.

Big surprise! For some reason when the left lamps are blinking, the right lamps also blink, but very, very dimly. Same with the right signals, left LEDs blink dimly. There is apparently a crossover somewhere in the turn signal circuit.

After I stopped to think about it, I don't mind if the opposite turn lamp blinks very dimly as the additional blinking might help bring attention to the fact that the rider is going to turn, There is no comparison in the intensity between the selected lamp and the dim one. Strange, but something I can easily live with!

Grommit, I would suggest you  not live with it.
When one light blinks dimly and the other is bright, it is defnitely a sign of voltage crossover... which means you could very soon have a major voltage crossover, known as a short.

You are leaking voltage through either a faulty connection or a wire that has been damaged, and that could lead to what I found when I opened up my wiring harness after months of erratic electrical issues... three feet of melted wire.

You really can't "live with" that...

Chances are good it will get worse, and could affect other systems.

The Garbone

• Shade Tree
  • Grand Gearhead
  • User Complaints: 22
« Reply #13 on: April 13, 2009, 07:01:43 PM »
Bad flasher possibly or a slight short.... hmmm..
Gary
57' RE Crusader 250
67' Ford Mustang
74' Catalina 27 "Knot a Clew"
95 RE Ace Clubman 535
01 HD 1200 Custom
07 RE 5spd HaCK

* all actions described in this post are fictional *

mtrueblood

• Scooter
« Reply #14 on: June 18, 2009, 08:42:49 PM »
I posted a question about changing pilot light bulbs to LEDs in another forum before discovering this forum.  I think this gives me most of what I need.  

Am I correct in thinking that these LEDs fit into the same base as the bulbs?  I'm not familiar with LEDs, but what I read on the Internet made me think that I was just getting something with two wire leads coming off of it, and that I'd have to do some Ohm's Law calculation and solder a resistor to one of the leads.
« Last Edit: June 18, 2009, 10:09:21 PM by mtrueblood »
Michael Trueblood

geoffbaker

« Reply #15 on: June 18, 2009, 09:51:38 PM »
No you can get LEDs to fit every bulb type - ba7 ba9 1156 and 1157.

They are great for instrument lights. Most commercial turn and stop LED bulbs tho are not as bright as stock.

rick505

• Bulleteer
« Reply #16 on: August 01, 2009, 01:48:29 PM »
This is from Superbrightleds - others may have similar prices. The later bikes have 12 bulbs total.

Bulb, BA9s, super green (turn signal indicator), BA9S-G4,  $2.98
TOTAL, $65.11
(shipping was $5)

First, thanks for your message above.  I received my order yesterday using your list to order. 

I do have a question for everyone.  I have NOT replaced the bulbs in the speedo and ammeter yet, however I have changed my turn signals and tested before and after changing out the flasher.  As expected before the flasher swap the turn signal would light up and not blink.  Unfortunately all four light up at once.  After the flasher exchange all four flash simultaneously.  I did swap the stock turn signals some time ago for bullet lights from CMW (they use the stock bulbs).

Do you think the reason they all light at the same time is I'm using the metal of the light mount as my ground??  I'll have to look at the lights again but recall they do not, in stock form, provide a ground wire from the light but rely on the metal of the mount. I may also just try replacing the bulbs in the speedo and ammeter in case these are providing some "phantom" ground or something.  If that doesn't do it I'll run some jumpers from the turn signals to ground to see if that improves things.

Thanks in advance,

Rick

geoffbaker

« Reply #17 on: August 01, 2009, 02:54:02 PM »
I'm suspecting the flasher is miswired and one of the power lines has swapped with the ground; or you have the wrong flasher. The one listed by grommit would be the correct one for my model (2000 KS) but if yours is a later model it may well need a different flasher.

To find out go to the superbrightled page at http://www.superbrightleds.com/flashers.htm
and determine which flasher most closely fits your existing flasher..

The Garbone

• Shade Tree
  • Grand Gearhead
« Reply #18 on: August 01, 2009, 05:53:33 PM »
My guess would be a slight short inside the switch or switch wire harness... The LEDs require much less current to light so you probably never noticed it on the stock bulbs.   I would pull the leds and from the connectors behind the headlamp and under the seat going to the rear of the bike (using a decent meter) look for a short from your left to right signals in the harness or switch.   

I almost put money its the switch or the harness under the rear fender that is the problem.
Gary
57' RE Crusader 250
67' Ford Mustang
95 RE Ace Clubman 535
01 HD 1200 Custom
07 RE 5spd HaCK

rick505

• Bulleteer
« Reply #19 on: August 01, 2009, 06:05:54 PM »
Well, in my case once I swapped the lights in the speedo everything was back to normal.  I'd need to review the wiring diagram but suspect a filament in one of the existing bulbs was causing all the turn signals to light.  Actually they were acting like flashers on a car.  Too bad there isn't a switch to simply turn them in to that.  The only bulb I've still got to swap is the one in the ammeter. I tried but my fingers just are too big to pull it out easily.  Will play around later.  I also want to get a different tail/brake light since the LED one I received is WAY too dim with an aftermarket light.  I have a '32 Ford replica assembly and the 1157 LED replacement doesn't even show in daylight.  So, I'm back to a Happy Camper.

Thanks all.

Rick

The Garbone

• Shade Tree
  • Grand Gearhead
« Reply #20 on: August 01, 2009, 06:13:14 PM »
 :-\

Just some more Bullet magic I guess..   odd....

;D

I have to remember to keep this mod on my if I had the extra cash shopping list....

My KZ has a separate Emergency flasher switch and flasher under the seat.. I should look at the diagram but it probably would not be that hard to wire into an RE... Thinking about it

Solution #1
Maybe put run a hot to the 2nd flasher then up to a em. flasher switch and then you tap into your left and right turn signals using Diodes to isolate.   Would probably work,  adds a bit to the tangle in the harness.   I could do it using the discarded ES wiring from my left toolbox but  most folks would need to run a new wire.

Solution #2 
Wire an intentional short between the left and right  signals going through a relay so its normally open.  Put a switch on the relay so when you want all 4 to flash you hit the switch and the left or right signal and bang, all 4 flash..  Or if you have a relay with 4 normally open leads you could then have the one switch operating the relay turn on a the signal and  short left and right and bang, 4 way flasher.. 

« Last Edit: August 01, 2009, 06:27:19 PM by The Garbone »
Gary
57' RE Crusader 250
67' Ford Mustang
95 RE Ace Clubman 535
01 HD 1200 Custom
07 RE 5spd HaCK

geoffbaker

« Reply #21 on: August 01, 2009, 07:05:30 PM »
I think all you need to do to create hazards is install a switch and add two N4001 diodes, going from the switch to both turn signal power wires on the handlebar switch.

That is similar to what I have done successfully on my bike, but I also have a digital control center the motogadget m-unit, which may make my wiring a little different for this mod.

The diodes act to shut off power between the two separate circuits until you turn the switch, then there should be enough power to light all signals.

However, this would I bet ONLY work with a low current LED application.

My hazards work great!

The diodes cost 40cents at my local electronic store.

Ragmas

• Grease Monkey
« Reply #22 on: April 07, 2010, 10:50:00 AM »
The reason all you lights are blinking is probably because the old flasher unit is a thermal flasher that requires the load of an incandescent lamp.  I had this problem with my last bike when I swapped to LEDs.  You can get a flasher designed to work with LEDs or you can put load resisters in line. the load resisters seems silly as you are switching to leds to take the load off.  Good luck.

2009 G-5 Military
Little Falls, NY

Geirskogul

• Grand Gearhead
  • The world isn't beautiful, therefore it is.
« Reply #23 on: August 15, 2010, 08:28:21 AM »
I have a solution and update to this thread.  I recently finished switching all of my lamps to LED, including using an electronic flasher that's supposed to work with LEDs. 

When I first hooked up the turn signals (one 1156 in each rear housing, one 1x amber LED in the pilot lamp - I had accidentally driven over my front turn signals during a recent repair) with the stock flasher, as usual the light only came on, but didn't turn off.  This was expected.  What wasn't expected was that the opposite pilot LED turn signal would, VERY DIMLY, light with the other one on.  The rear turn signals, 12 LED monstrosities, didn't.  Strange.

When I hooked up the electronic flasher (EP37 "Triton" electronic flasher from Autozone, IIRC), the lights still only turned on without flashing.  Again, the opposite front signals would very dimly light.  So dim you couldn't tell during the day, and it would probably not matter at night either, but still odd.

What would my solution be?  How could I get the electronic flasher to flash, without using those 6ohm 50W resistors, which defeat the purpose of LEDs in the first place?  It was apparent that my tiny LED setup wasn't even enough current to trigger the electronic, LED-designed flasher, which is understandable.  They're designed for big LED replacement setups, on the order of 500MA minimum (which is, what, about half of a standard 15w turn signal bulb?), so a small motorcycle setup could cause problems. 

What I needed was enough draw to trigger the flasher, but not so much draw (like those 6ohm resistors you see) that it defeats the purpose.  Now remember, with those load resistors you're essentially shorting from 12v to ground on each turn signal side's circuit.  The lower the ohm rating of the resistor, the more current draw, as the more complete short you're making.  The higher the resistance, the lower the amp draw, as the more incomplete circuit that's created.  The reason those "load equalizer" flashers are rated for 50W and have heatsinks is because 6 ohms is a very small resistance, and they need it.

I couldn't throw a 3K resistor on there, as pretty much nothing would happen (I tried).  I also couldn't throw any standard 25 ohm resistor on there, as any of the ones I had would fry (I tried - old carbon resistors short when they fry, lost a fuse that way), and the draw would be too big anyway (about 480mA, or 5 watts on the resistors - unacceptable).  My solution for low-but-enough-draw-for-the-flasher?  Two 150 ohm resistors per side, wired in parallel.  This gives me 75 ohms per side, but two resistors to spread the little bit of heat that's created for a more durable circuit.  Also still gives me a helluva lot less draw than standard bulbs, about 150mA or 1.9W (less than one watt for each one-watt resistor), but it's still enough to trigger the flasher.

Oh, and once you put the resistors on, you don't get feedback through to opposite turn signal, as there is enough draw on the triggered side to soak up any extra fed current.  A 12V LED only requires 120mA or so to brightly light, for single standard LED bulbs, but much, much less to dim a bit; sparking current is on the order of 12mA, much less than any stray current that might be floating around.  Unless it's noticeable, I wouldn't worry about it or think that somethings wrong in the system.  I have LED Christmas lights on dimmers that stay light when I have the dimmers turned all the way down to zero.  With the dodgy Indian electronics, or the frankly weird way they have of wiring things up (blame the original Lucas heritage for that), it's to be expected.
All hail Sir Lucas, Prince of Darkness.

When an idiot thinks it's the same as not thinking at all!

1 Thump

• Grand Gearhead
« Reply #24 on: May 10, 2011, 06:41:23 PM »

Bulb, BA9s, super green (turn signal indicator), BA9S-G4,  $2.98
TOTAL, $65.11
(shipping was $5)
With this setup you may never have change out a bulb as long as you own the bike! They claim 50,000 hours on the LEDs.

Will this work with a 2008 Iron Barrel model.
« Last Edit: May 10, 2011, 07:31:48 PM by 1 Thump »

GSS

• Grand Gearhead
« Reply #25 on: May 14, 2011, 12:17:44 AM »
Will this work with a 2008 Iron Barrel model.
I posted a copy of my invoice with bulb info for a 2010 C5 in the UCE section. Most of these bulbs should work for you. Just pick the bulb size and color to match what you have in your 2008 Iron Barrel. Hope this helps.

http://www.enfieldmotorcycles.com/forum/index.php/topic,10412.0.html
2014 GT - Red
2010 C5 - Teal
It's a Jeep thing......

GreenMachine

• Grand Gearhead
« Reply #26 on: May 14, 2011, 12:47:02 AM »
wouldn't it be great if the new machines say in 2013 come out with led lighting and 7 inch/ halogen lamp head light..that would be a great selling point and they could purchase in bulk and might be cost effective for them and the customer..just saying as it seems to be the way many of the manufactures are headed..
Oh Magoo you done it again

1 Thump

• Grand Gearhead
« Reply #27 on: July 17, 2011, 04:18:12 PM »
Did the mod yesterday. Those tiny bulb holders can be tough. I had to cut and chop spring inside the neutral light holder to accept the led. The speedo light and high/low beam dont light up for some reason. I ll get back to that.

I am having some of the same issues as noted above. The turn indicators flash, but the opposite indicator flashes dimly as well. I ll call superbrightleds peolple tomorrow.

Arizoni

• Grand Gearhead
  • "But it's a dry heat here in Arizona
« Reply #28 on: July 17, 2011, 09:41:42 PM »
I don't know about replacing the standard bulbs with LED's but I do know that if the rear signals ground wire is not connected to a good ground the opposite turn signal will light.

The metal frame at the rear of some bikes isn't  well grounded to the main frame so if you grounded the LED's or the sockets to the frame that could be the problem.
Jim
2011 G5 Deluxe
1999 Miata 10th Anniversary

GreenRE

• Bulleteer
« Reply #29 on: May 15, 2012, 07:56:33 PM »
I finally got around to this and called the guys at superbrightleds. They informed me that since the turn indicator (in the speedo) is a single bulb that flashes irrespective of the directional flasher, the opposite side is going to flash. They also told me that this is a common issue and is resolved by using one of these: http://www.cruisercustomizing.com/kuryakyn-diode-kit-for-metric-bikes-each/part/KY-4709
I am going to give this a try. Has someone else had this issue. 

Bulletman

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2011 - C5 Classic Black
« Reply #30 on: September 10, 2012, 04:54:02 PM »
I finally got around to this and called the guys at superbrightleds. They informed me that since the turn indicator (in the speedo) is a single bulb that flashes irrespective of the directional flasher, the opposite side is going to flash. They also told me that this is a common issue and is resolved by using one of these: http://www.cruisercustomizing.com/kuryakyn-diode-kit-for-metric-bikes-each/part/KY-4709
I am going to give this a try. Has someone else had this issue.
Hi, i was wondering if you resolved the issue with your led lights, ( specifically for the left and right indicators) and if the kit superbrightleds recommended was functional.
"A Blast from my Past"
Mark F   (Northern, CA)
Black C5 2011

barenekd

• Grand Gearhead
« Reply #31 on: September 10, 2012, 09:23:40 PM »
I changed all the bulbs on my bike except the turn signal bulbs and headlight. All of Them worked right right out of the box. And now Ican even see them!
Bare
2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Racer
2011 Black Classic G5 (RIP)
I refuse to tiptoe through life only to arrive safely at death
http://www.controllineplans.com

mattsz

• Grand Gearhead
  • moto-gurdyist
« Reply #32 on: October 07, 2012, 01:12:17 AM »
...My tail/brake LED is an 1157 base with 24 LEDs. I would have perferred to use a red bulb but need white for the license plate illumination.

Hey Grommit-

Quiet thread, but I was browsing "Superbrightleds.com" and found this:

http://www.superbrightleds.com/moreinfo/tail-brake-turn/1157-led-bulb-dual-intensity-25-led-motorcycle-bulb/170/767/

It's an 1157 "bulb" that has 19 reds facing straight toward the lens, and 6 whites facing out radially to illuminate a license plate below the lens.

Anyone try this in the Enfield?

Jack Leis

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2011 G5 Classic, F&%king Stolen
« Reply #33 on: October 07, 2012, 03:08:01 AM »
Yep , I installed the same LED tail light on my G5 and it really works. Not overpowering but much more visible than the stock lamp. The thing should last forever.
I would much rather ride a slow bike fast than a fast bike slow    Jack

barenekd

• Grand Gearhead
« Reply #34 on: October 08, 2012, 09:01:10 PM »
+1
2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Racer

b.sheets

• Bulleteer
« Reply #35 on: November 14, 2012, 01:01:52 AM »
might be a dumb question but what can you do to help your bulb stay in the pilot light housing? after changing my bulb it won't stay secure. any tip would be greatly appreciated because this is one of the most frustrating things I've dealt with TODAY.
2012 C5 Special(SOLD)
2013 Triumph Thruxton

sanj4u2

• Neophyte
« Reply #36 on: February 06, 2013, 09:36:49 PM »
Hi,

Thanks for putting this list together...great stuff.
I am a newbie and wanted to make sure that I have as much as possible details before planning to buy the LED lamps.

I have one question regarding the "CF12ANL-01 LED Bulb Electronic Flasher".
Do we still need one of the following item to ensure that all4 flasher does not blink at the same time.

http://www.cruisercustomizing.com/kuryakyn-diode-kit-for-metric-bikes-each/part/KY-4709

Also, would be able to help me regrading selecting the HID lamp for classic model please?

Thanks,
Sanjay

barenekd

• Grand Gearhead
« Reply #37 on: February 06, 2013, 10:13:17 PM »
You can put an LED (be sure it's the "W4" version) in the indicator in the speedo. Then you can at least see if the turn signals are on. Just leave the stock bulbs in the turn signals themselves, then you don't have to worry about fiddling with all these other doodads. The stock bulbs are quite bright enough.
Bare
« Last Edit: February 07, 2013, 09:42:24 PM by barenekd »
2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Racer

Arizoni

• Grand Gearhead
« Reply #38 on: February 06, 2013, 10:21:00 PM »
I agree with you barenekd.
The turn signals aren't used for long periods of time so they don't reduce the voltage available for charging the battery.
Messing with that diode addition to the flasher circuit that is needed to get the LED's in the turn signals to work looks like a pain in the butt to me.
Jim
2011 G5 Deluxe

sanj4u2

• Neophyte
« Reply #39 on: February 06, 2013, 11:32:10 PM »
Thank you barenekd and Arizoni :) Looks like leaving turn signals on stock bulbs is a better option...

could you / other RE guru help me on the following query as well:

Also, would be able to help me regrading selecting the HID lamp for classic model please?

Thanks,
Sanjay

D the D

• Grand Gearhead
« Reply #40 on: June 06, 2013, 02:06:50 AM »
Hey Grommit-

Quiet thread, but I was browsing "Superbrightleds.com" and found this:

http://www.superbrightleds.com/moreinfo/tail-brake-turn/1157-led-bulb-dual-intensity-25-led-motorcycle-bulb/170/767/

It's an 1157 "bulb" that has 19 reds facing straight toward the lens, and 6 whites facing out radially to illuminate a license plate below the lens.

Anyone try this in the Enfield?
It was bright enough for a tail marker and to light the license plate, but there really wasn't much difference with brakes off or on.  Kind of pointless to have a nice LED light saving power if I get tail-ended because no one knows I'm braking.
'07 Iron Barrel Military (Deceased 14 September, 2013)
2014 Yamaha Bolt R Spec V-Twin
1975 XLCH

mattsz

• Grand Gearhead
  • moto-gurdyist
« Reply #41 on: June 06, 2013, 10:51:41 PM »
Can't give hard numbers, but I installed this bulb based on Bare's recommendation after he assured me that the brake light IS quite a bit brighter than the park light - I agree that it is brighter, I use it, and I don't feel it compromises my safety.  He rode behind this bulb quite a bit when he and Jack were riding their RE's together.

I don't know why there'd be a difference between bikes; maybe it's just individual perception?  I don't have time today, but when I can, I'll try to shoot a video of the bulb "in action".

Darkside

• Scooter
« Reply #42 on: June 06, 2013, 11:59:24 PM »
I have MBS so my other ride is a Naked Goldwing this write-up was posted by a member of our group it is very well researched. Hope it helps anyone looking to go LED. 

http://www.ferrarilife.com/forums/modern-v8s-360-f430/16267-led-tail-lights-comparison.html
NON TIMEBO MALA.

GSS

• Grand Gearhead
« Reply #43 on: June 08, 2013, 12:49:18 PM »
Thanks for posting this link. It is amazing.....now I need to figure out how to buy his bulbs without having to join the Ferrari forum to send him a PM. Truly one of the best LED comparisons!
« Last Edit: June 08, 2013, 11:35:29 PM by GSS »
2014 GT - Red
2010 C5 - Teal
It's a Jeep thing......

Darkside

• Scooter
« Reply #44 on: June 08, 2013, 05:22:43 PM »
NON TIMEBO MALA.

GSS

• Grand Gearhead
« Reply #45 on: June 08, 2013, 11:45:45 PM »
Thanks for the link. It looks like the Ferrari guy started manufacturing and selling his own bulbs with a diffusion coating to get more uniform light. I might pick up the bulbs from the EBay seller and see how these work....so far the 1157 from all sources including the motorcycle specific 19+6 from superbrightleds.com have been disappointing.
« Last Edit: June 08, 2013, 11:55:17 PM by GSS »
2014 GT - Red
2010 C5 - Teal
It's a Jeep thing......

Arizoni

• Grand Gearhead
« Reply #46 on: June 09, 2013, 01:18:20 AM »
$41 bucks (USD)  for a tail light/ brake light "bulb" ?

Sounds like Rolls Royce is getting in on the action.  :o  :(
Jim
2011 G5 Deluxe

The_Rigger

• Grease Monkey
  • Mom Always Liked You Better...
« Reply #47 on: June 13, 2013, 01:12:16 AM »
$41 bucks (USD)  for a tail light/ brake light "bulb" ?

For a pair of them.  $20 apiece isn't really out of line for high-power LEDs with built-in current limiters and heat sinks.
-Dave
2012 C5 Special
Central Michigan, USA (when I'm not working somewhere else)

GSS

• Grand Gearhead
« Reply #48 on: June 18, 2013, 02:51:23 AM »
OK. So I bought the 6W Ferrari site recommended 1157 bulbs from EBay and put one in my C5. This is without a doubt the best LED so far. The 6W matches, if not exceeds the incandescent in intensity and the color is perfect.  Definitely blew away the more expensive 19-6 LED and 30 LED 1157s that I got previously fom Superbrightleds.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2-x-1157-Red-6W-Ultra-Bright-High-Power-LED-Tail-Brake-Signal-Light/270976232214
« Last Edit: June 18, 2013, 02:57:31 AM by GSS »
2014 GT - Red
2010 C5 - Teal
It's a Jeep thing......

D the D

• Grand Gearhead
« Reply #49 on: June 18, 2013, 03:13:13 AM »
Great!  The same vendor has a 7.5 watt http://www.ebay.com/itm/1-x-1157-Red-7-5W-Ultra-Bright-High-Power-LED-Tail-Brake-Signal-Light-/271004387322?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3f191ec7fa  I was thinking of trying.
Do the 6 watt bulbs light your license plate?
'07 Iron Barrel Military (Deceased 14 September, 2013)
2014 Yamaha Bolt R Spec V-Twin
1975 XLCH

GSS

• Grand Gearhead
« Reply #50 on: June 19, 2013, 09:46:30 PM »
There were warnings on the Ferrari site about not going to 7.5W as there is a risk of overheating and premature failure of the bulb. These bulbs are red so the plate will get lit with a red glow.
2014 GT - Red
2010 C5 - Teal
It's a Jeep thing......

shakensoul

• Neophyte
« Reply #51 on: December 15, 2013, 07:26:37 AM »
Hi All,

What type of LED will be compatible with the parking light bulb (inside the headlight dome) ?

I had ordered these LEDs which are working in the Pilot Lamps, but it is not working in the parking light bulb (inside the headlight dome)

http://www.ebay.com/itm/400512656569?item=400512656569&viewitem=&sspagename=ADME:L:OC:IN:3160&vxp=mtr

shakensoul

• Neophyte
« Reply #52 on: December 21, 2013, 08:44:46 AM »
Hello Friends,

Any idea on the type of LED bulb compatible with the parking light bulb (inside the headlight dome) of a RE Classic 350?

azcatfan

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2002 Bullet ES
« Reply #53 on: December 21, 2013, 01:53:58 PM »
Hello Friends,

Any idea on the type of LED bulb compatible with the parking light bulb (inside the headlight dome) of a RE Classic 350?

singh5g did a pretty extensive write up and video on this.  I believe his 2009 used the BA9 for the speedo, pilot lights, and dummy lights.  The ampmeter takes the BA7.  The same was true for my 2002.  If you have one newer than that someone else will have to chime in or you can pop one out and see for yourself, takes maybe 3 minutes.

Here's a video of fellow forum member singh5g made for the LED upgrade including adding additional lights:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hMCSEraYCxM
-2002 Bullet ES Up-Jetted with Ace Air Canister and punched HD Exhaust.

shakensoul

• Neophyte
« Reply #54 on: December 22, 2013, 03:33:02 PM »
I have tried BA9s in this bulb, but it is not working, thats why I am confused.

This is the bulb I am referring to, the bulb says something like 12V 14W 37R

barenekd

• Grand Gearhead
« Reply #55 on: December 22, 2013, 04:18:13 PM »
..so far the 1157 from all sources including the motorcycle specific 19+6 from superbrightleds.com have been disappointing.

I had an LED 1157 from SuperBrightLEDs in both my Re and still my Guzzi. They work quite well for me. Are you sure our getting good voltage to your taillight? Yes, they do light up my license plates.
Bare
« Last Edit: December 22, 2013, 04:23:02 PM by barenekd »
2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Racer

mattsz

• Grand Gearhead
  • moto-gurdyist
« Reply #56 on: December 23, 2013, 12:26:39 AM »
I have tried BA9s in this bulb, but it is not working, thats why I am confused.

shakensoul-

I'm not sure if this answers your question, but here goes...

I have what looks to be the same headlight as you.  For the parking light, I installed this LED from superbrightleds.com, here in the US:

http://www.superbrightleds.com/moreinfo/bayonet-bulbs/ba9s-led-bulb-1-led-wide-angle/3/

Specifically, it's part number "BA9S-W-120-12V" - an ac/dc, cool white, wide-angle, single LED bulb which works well.  I don't much like the cold blue-ish light it casts, but it works and the heat generated by the headlight bulb hasn't hurt it all summer.

The bulb in the ebay link you provided is a DC bulb, which means the polarity is important and current must flow in the correct direction for it to light.  If you installed one and it doesn't work, it could be that you will need to reverse the polarity, i.e. re-wire the socket so you get the correct current flow.  The above bulb I used is AC/DC, which means that it will light with current flowing in either direction, so no polarity problems...

shakensoul

• Neophyte
« Reply #57 on: December 23, 2013, 05:49:13 AM »
shakensoul-

The bulb in the ebay link you provided is a DC bulb, which means the polarity is important and current must flow in the correct direction for it to light.  If you installed one and it doesn't work, it could be that you will need to reverse the polarity, i.e. re-wire the socket so you get the correct current flow.  The above bulb I used is AC/DC, which means that it will light with current flowing in either direction, so no polarity problems...

Great..., swapped the wires and that resolved the problem  ;D

I overlooked the polarity issue. Thanks a lot for the input.

mattsz

• Grand Gearhead
  • moto-gurdyist
« Reply #58 on: December 23, 2013, 11:43:47 AM »
Glad you got it sorted out!  So, how does the parking bulb look?  Is the bulb you used very bright?  Mine is quite dim; it really just causes the reflector to glow - which is fine for me...

shakensoul

• Neophyte
« Reply #59 on: December 23, 2013, 06:27:22 PM »
I have used 1W LED bulb in the pilot lamps and parking light bulb, as in this link

http://www.ebay.com/itm/400512656569?item=400512656569&viewitem=&sspagename=ADME:L:OC:IN:3160&vxp=mtr

Brightness is okay, not too bright, if I use more powered LED, that it should be bright, but right now its acceptable.

azcatfan

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2002 Bullet ES
« Reply #60 on: December 30, 2013, 03:47:01 AM »
I changed over to LEDs and went back to the stock turn signals from the ones the previous owner had placed on there.  Part of the documentation I got with the bike was the wiring information from when he put the aftermarket turn signals on, very helpful!

The brake LED isn't quite as bright as the regular stock bulb, but pretty close.  I also added a set of those flashers that come on with the brake.  In the video they appear to dimly pulse while the motor is running and the running lights are on, but I think this is something just picked up by the camera because I couldn't see it with my naked eye.

Also, the right turn signal now appears to flash a single half/flash before settling into a rhythm, other than that all is well.  Now when I come to a stop with the brake light on and turn signal going my amp meter doesn't bank all the way to the left, it barely moves :-)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kOjQVCTyyK4

azcatfan

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2002 Bullet ES
« Reply #61 on: March 29, 2014, 11:07:45 PM »
I went a step further and bought the round LED trailer light from super bright.  I wanted round because I think it fits the look of the bike better than the red barn that was on there, and now my rear light is even brighter!

Before:

After:

Running Light:

Brake Light:

Not a bad deal and easy to install...

Barnone

• Scooter
« Reply #62 on: March 29, 2014, 11:43:40 PM »
That round tail light does look like it fits the bike better.
Vince
2001 Kawasaki W650
2012 Ural Yamal
2012 DF250RTB
Fort Myers,FL or Robbinsville,NC