HPRE

Menu

Members Rides

Built like a gun !

in
Members Rides

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
July 30, 2014, 01:11:20 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Changing Bulbs to LEDs  (Read 12287 times)

Bulletman

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2011 - C5 Classic Black
Re: Changing Bulbs to LEDs
« Reply #30 on: September 10, 2012, 04:54:02 PM »
I finally got around to this and called the guys at superbrightleds. They informed me that since the turn indicator (in the speedo) is a single bulb that flashes irrespective of the directional flasher, the opposite side is going to flash. They also told me that this is a common issue and is resolved by using one of these: http://www.cruisercustomizing.com/kuryakyn-diode-kit-for-metric-bikes-each/part/KY-4709
I am going to give this a try. Has someone else had this issue.
Hi, i was wondering if you resolved the issue with your led lights, ( specifically for the left and right indicators) and if the kit superbrightleds recommended was functional.
"A Blast from my Past"
Mark F   (Northern, CA)
Black C5 2011

barenekd

• Grand Gearhead
« Reply #31 on: September 10, 2012, 09:23:40 PM »
I changed all the bulbs on my bike except the turn signal bulbs and headlight. All of Them worked right right out of the box. And now Ican even see them!
Bare
2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Racer
2011 Black Classic G5 (RIP)
I refuse to tiptoe through life only to arrive safely at death
http://www.controllineplans.com

mattsz

• Grand Gearhead
  • moto-gurdyist
« Reply #32 on: October 07, 2012, 01:12:17 AM »
...My tail/brake LED is an 1157 base with 24 LEDs. I would have perferred to use a red bulb but need white for the license plate illumination.

Hey Grommit-

Quiet thread, but I was browsing "Superbrightleds.com" and found this:

http://www.superbrightleds.com/moreinfo/tail-brake-turn/1157-led-bulb-dual-intensity-25-led-motorcycle-bulb/170/767/

It's an 1157 "bulb" that has 19 reds facing straight toward the lens, and 6 whites facing out radially to illuminate a license plate below the lens.

Anyone try this in the Enfield?

Jack Leis

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2011 G5 Classic, F&%king Stolen
« Reply #33 on: October 07, 2012, 03:08:01 AM »
Yep , I installed the same LED tail light on my G5 and it really works. Not overpowering but much more visible than the stock lamp. The thing should last forever.
I would much rather ride a slow bike fast than a fast bike slow    Jack

barenekd

• Grand Gearhead
« Reply #34 on: October 08, 2012, 09:01:10 PM »
+1
2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Racer

b.sheets

• Bulleteer
« Reply #35 on: November 14, 2012, 01:01:52 AM »
might be a dumb question but what can you do to help your bulb stay in the pilot light housing? after changing my bulb it won't stay secure. any tip would be greatly appreciated because this is one of the most frustrating things I've dealt with TODAY.
2012 C5 Special(SOLD)
2013 Triumph Thruxton

sanj4u2

• Neophyte
« Reply #36 on: February 06, 2013, 09:36:49 PM »
Hi,

Thanks for putting this list together...great stuff.
I am a newbie and wanted to make sure that I have as much as possible details before planning to buy the LED lamps.

I have one question regarding the "CF12ANL-01 LED Bulb Electronic Flasher".
Do we still need one of the following item to ensure that all4 flasher does not blink at the same time.

http://www.cruisercustomizing.com/kuryakyn-diode-kit-for-metric-bikes-each/part/KY-4709

Also, would be able to help me regrading selecting the HID lamp for classic model please?

Thanks,
Sanjay

barenekd

• Grand Gearhead
« Reply #37 on: February 06, 2013, 10:13:17 PM »
You can put an LED (be sure it's the "W4" version) in the indicator in the speedo. Then you can at least see if the turn signals are on. Just leave the stock bulbs in the turn signals themselves, then you don't have to worry about fiddling with all these other doodads. The stock bulbs are quite bright enough.
Bare
« Last Edit: February 07, 2013, 09:42:24 PM by barenekd »
2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Racer

Arizoni

• Grand Gearhead
  • "But it's a dry heat here in Arizona
« Reply #38 on: February 06, 2013, 10:21:00 PM »
I agree with you barenekd.
The turn signals aren't used for long periods of time so they don't reduce the voltage available for charging the battery.
Messing with that diode addition to the flasher circuit that is needed to get the LED's in the turn signals to work looks like a pain in the butt to me.
Jim
2011 G5 Deluxe
1999 Miata 10th Anniversary

sanj4u2

• Neophyte
« Reply #39 on: February 06, 2013, 11:32:10 PM »
Thank you barenekd and Arizoni :) Looks like leaving turn signals on stock bulbs is a better option...

could you / other RE guru help me on the following query as well:

Also, would be able to help me regrading selecting the HID lamp for classic model please?

Thanks,
Sanjay

D the D

• Grand Gearhead
« Reply #40 on: June 06, 2013, 02:06:50 AM »
Hey Grommit-

Quiet thread, but I was browsing "Superbrightleds.com" and found this:

http://www.superbrightleds.com/moreinfo/tail-brake-turn/1157-led-bulb-dual-intensity-25-led-motorcycle-bulb/170/767/

It's an 1157 "bulb" that has 19 reds facing straight toward the lens, and 6 whites facing out radially to illuminate a license plate below the lens.

Anyone try this in the Enfield?
It was bright enough for a tail marker and to light the license plate, but there really wasn't much difference with brakes off or on.  Kind of pointless to have a nice LED light saving power if I get tail-ended because no one knows I'm braking.
'07 Iron Barrel Military (Deceased 14 September, 2013)
2014 Yamaha Bolt R Spec V-Twin
1975 XLCH

mattsz

• Grand Gearhead
  • moto-gurdyist
« Reply #41 on: June 06, 2013, 10:51:41 PM »
Can't give hard numbers, but I installed this bulb based on Bare's recommendation after he assured me that the brake light IS quite a bit brighter than the park light - I agree that it is brighter, I use it, and I don't feel it compromises my safety.  He rode behind this bulb quite a bit when he and Jack were riding their RE's together.

I don't know why there'd be a difference between bikes; maybe it's just individual perception?  I don't have time today, but when I can, I'll try to shoot a video of the bulb "in action".

Darkside

• Scooter
« Reply #42 on: June 06, 2013, 11:59:24 PM »
I have MBS so my other ride is a Naked Goldwing this write-up was posted by a member of our group it is very well researched. Hope it helps anyone looking to go LED. 

http://www.ferrarilife.com/forums/modern-v8s-360-f430/16267-led-tail-lights-comparison.html
NON TIMEBO MALA.

GSS

• Grand Gearhead
« Reply #43 on: June 08, 2013, 12:49:18 PM »
Thanks for posting this link. It is amazing.....now I need to figure out how to buy his bulbs without having to join the Ferrari forum to send him a PM. Truly one of the best LED comparisons!
« Last Edit: June 08, 2013, 11:35:29 PM by GSS »
2014 GT - Red
2010 C5 - Teal
It's a Jeep thing......you wouldn't understand.

Darkside

• Scooter
« Reply #44 on: June 08, 2013, 05:22:43 PM »
NON TIMEBO MALA.