HPRE

Menu

Members Rides

Right shift kit mod

in
Members Rides

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
October 23, 2014, 10:04:36 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Hi-Tech Turn Signal Controller  (Read 1278 times)

Grommit

• Green is Beautiful
  • Neophyte
Hi-Tech Turn Signal Controller
« on: April 05, 2009, 11:40:34 PM »
I am like many motorcycle riders that despite many years of riding experience I sometimes neglect to turn off my turn signals. It's not only embarassing especially when passing other motorcyclists, but dangerous by encouraging left turns across your path.
There is a nifty device that not only can be set to turn off your signals after a preselected cancel period but selectively convert your turn signals to running lights, flash your turn signal lamps upon applying your brakes (with a flash pattern), and activate the turn signals as 4-way flashers! No wire cutting! If you have converted to LED lamps it works with them as well.
The bad news is that it is not cheap - $109 MSRP - but will definately upgrade the Enfield's turn and brake system. Last bit of good news - for the basic features it is a plug-in device, using the existing L-shaped plug! It is made by Kisan Technologies Inc, called the "signalMinder" - www.kisantech.com is the web address.
1960 Daimler Ferret Armoured Car
2007 Honda Shadow Sabre
2009 Bullet Military

Rick Sperko

• Grand Gearhead
  • Milwaukee, WI
Re: Hi-Tech Turn Signal Controller
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2009, 12:27:06 AM »
I put two normally closed relays in place to create the running light functionality, and it works great unless I forget to turn on my lights. Then I have no blinkers and do not realize it. This is much better. I will book mark this for future purchase.

Thanks,
-Rick
Rick in Milwaukee, WI

'06 RE Bullet Classic Iron
'63 VW Beetle Ragtop (also classic)
'66 Chris Craft Cavalier Cutlass 26'
'02 BMW R1150R

geoffbaker

« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2009, 01:39:05 AM »
I'll be reporting on my project which goes the whole hog.

I'm rewiring my entire electric system using the motogadget m-unit.

(I needed to do it anyway, but this gave me an excuse)

the m-unit removes all flashers, fuses and relays from your system.

It offers programmable self-cancelling flashers
trembler alarm system
hazard warning lights
programmable modulated brake lights

as well as using solid state self-resetting circuitbreakers - no fuses ever.
Has onboard LED diagnostics

Much cleaner electric system as a result.

Pricey - but worth it if you want any of the functionality lsted above.

Rick Sperko

• Grand Gearhead
  • Milwaukee, WI
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2009, 02:08:44 AM »
Thinking about this, I do not see how the running lights would work without running new wires. The flasher unit is putting out a on/off signal when it receives load, the load is drawn through our signal switch. The juice cannot get to the lights without the switch directing it to them, unless you rewire them. I guess I will stick with my relays for now.

Maybe one day I will pull a Baker and buy an m-unit.

To Geoff: Dude, I have to assume you are retired with all the work you are doing on your bike. You and Ace make me feel very normal with my obsession.

-Rick
Rick in Milwaukee, WI

'06 RE Bullet Classic Iron
'63 VW Beetle Ragtop (also classic)
'66 Chris Craft Cavalier Cutlass 26'
'02 BMW R1150R

geoffbaker

« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2009, 01:45:28 AM »
Thinking about this, I do not see how the running lights would work without running new wires. The flasher unit is putting out a on/off signal when it receives load, the load is drawn through our signal switch. The juice cannot get to the lights without the switch directing it to them, unless you rewire them. I guess I will stick with my relays for now.

Maybe one day I will pull a Baker and buy an m-unit.

To Geoff: Dude, I have to assume you are retired with all the work you are doing on your bike. You and Ace make me feel very normal with my obsession.

-Rick

Nope still working!

I do have more time on my hands this past few months, but I'm gainfully employed.