HPRE

Menu

Members Rides

Meatballs & Clubman

in
Members Rides

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
October 24, 2014, 08:35:06 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Options with no dealer nearby?  (Read 1488 times)

DrJon

• Neophyte
Options with no dealer nearby?
« on: April 20, 2009, 05:21:01 PM »
Nearest dealer is a 6+ hours drive away.

Obviously one can buy used, but with a bike that future relies so much on proper break in and appropriate operation, its a risk that the previous owner may not have treated it properly.

Any options for buying a new bike in these situations? How might warranty issues be dealt with?

Leonard

• Grand Gearhead
  • I love this bike!!
Re: Options with no dealer nearby?
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2009, 07:45:25 PM »
You should really call CMW and talk to Tait, that way you get the straight poop.  Their number is at the bottom of this page.
2009 Triumph Bonneville T100
2004 Royal Enfield Sixty-5 (RIP)
2001 Kawasaki W650 (going, going...gone)
http://www.romeoriders.com

pknopp

• Bulleteer
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2009, 08:01:30 PM »
Plenty of time to kill? Read on. LOL

In the summer of 2000 I decided to look for a used Triumph, BSA or the sort. I stumbled upon the RE website (basicallly this one I guess). I was intrigued. I checked eBay and my bike was on there. A dealer in Texas had it. I'm in WV. There were no nearby dealers (still aren't).

I didn't figure that there was any way to purchase it but sent him a message anyways. He was a new owner of a current dealer and wasn't going to continue carrying RE. He told me that he would sell me the bike for $3200 (maybe $3295, $3250 but it was $32 something). He said that he had to come to North Carolina to pick up a Harley and would deliver it for that price. I bought it. He took it off the back of his truck and that was that as far as delivery. I was able to read stuff on the net as far as starting, breaking in, etc. (the bike had 13 miles on it).

So my suggestion would be to email around. Make some calls. You never know what a dealer may have or is willing to do (in my case he really didn't go far out of his way).

I've also seen 3,4,5 year old bikes with 2-300 miles on them that really can't be hurt in any way. (other than you may need to clean the old gas out of them). Some never get the hang of it all from the beginning. (you are miles ahead to have someone that can show you the starting technique from the get go though).

If you go with used and the person can start it on the first second kick and it doesn't pore smoke or rattle real bad, it's likely O.K. Still, what are the odds of finding used

First thing I would do is to call dealers anywhere near you. You never know what you may be able to work out. Things are a bit tough right now.
2000 Dlx

geoffbaker

« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2009, 03:55:05 PM »

Obviously one can buy used, but with a bike that future relies so much on proper break in and appropriate operation, its a risk that the previous owner may not have treated it properly.

Any options for buying a new bike in these situations? How might warranty issues be dealt with?

It is definitely a risk; but there are two positive features to buying used. Firstly, it will cost less; and secondly, you take on an accelerated learning curve. Some people choose not to do so, but frankly, I can't think of a better way of MAKING yourself get attuned to your bike than buying used and "discovering" the bike.

The temptation to buy new, and then rely on mechanics, is in one sense just a way of putting off the inevitable... with an RE you must learn to be a mechanic.

(With the newest UCE's of course it's a different story.)

Everybody's entitled to go with what they're comfortable with; but I have never regretted buying used. I learnt a LOT about the bike as I discovered the Previous Owner's oversights... some cost me more than others, but within a couple of weeks of having the bike I realized I really had to get my feet wet. I got the manual, I started just doing random work ranging from changing tires and truing spokes to looking at and adjusting the brakes and working on the electrics.

Its an accelerated learning curve buying used; but worth it if you have the time and the inclination.

Blue Ridge Wheeltor

• Grand Gearhead
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2009, 04:17:33 PM »
When I bought my Ural, I realized I didn't have a "local" dealer. The closest dealer was 2.5 hours away, and a bum. This meant to get work done, I would have to trailer the bike 2.5 miles, drop it off (5 hrs roundtrip), and pick it up when done (another 5 hrs roundtrip). Once i realized I didn't have a local dealer to support, I searched as to where to buy my bike. I bought mine several thousands miles away.
Here's where the Ural warranty is way better than RE's. The Ural warranty is 2 yrs, unlimited mileage. RE's I think is 1 yr. Urals is TRANSFERRABLE. RE's is not. My Ural was delivered to my door. (My Ural dealer is also a RE dealer, and will ship to your door, free). My Ural dealer would ship me anything I needed under warranty, including a front fork and disc brake setup, and a new wheel. I ended up doing all my own work, and I am not mechanically inclined. Ural will allow you to take the bike to any legitimate shop. They will call and approve it, and drop ship them the parts and pay for labor. Great warranty.
The RE warranty is a lot weaker, non transferrable, work has to be done at the dealer. My closest dealers were both 70 miles away. That's a long way to travel round trip with a trailer.
I ended up buying an ebay bike last june, a 2008 with 87 miles. No warranty, but I figured I saved enough money to take a chance. I think it sucks thet RE will not warranty a 1 month old bike with 87 miles, but I didn't need it.
If you save enough, don't hesitate to buy a used bike. There are plenty of independent Brit mechanics around, and they are easy to work on anyways.
REA #25
2008 Royal Enfield Deluxe (Blue)
2006 Ural Patrol
1978 BMW R 100s--SOLD--
1977 HD XLCR
1971 Triumph Bonneville

Thumper

• Psalm 23
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Classic Wannabe
« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2009, 04:17:56 PM »

Check with CMW on this to see if it is still vaid, but they did honor maintenance-related warranty claims (and other claims) even if you did not have the service performed at an Enfield dealer. Yes, I do know this for a fact and I have to say they've (CMW) been great about it.

Matt

REpozer

• Superfly and
  • Grand Gearhead
« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2009, 05:01:59 PM »
I live 700 miles away from the nearest dealer . Purchased new, I have never met my dealer face to face. Mine was shipped new to me. I have been on the phone with my dealer for questions and some miner trouble shooting( dirty ground wire). I do all my own maint. I 've had a good experience with my dealer and CMW.
2008 AVL Classic Bullet in British Racing Green
REA # 84 ( the first time)