HPRE

Menu

Members Rides

Inder Trailer #2

in
Members Rides

59 Guests, 3 Users
Kevin Mahoney, dickim, WDG
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
November 28, 2014, 04:15:21 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: turn signals-police style  (Read 1427 times)

britt

• Neophyte
turn signals-police style
« on: April 21, 2009, 07:07:33 PM »
Hello I need help!!! I put my new turn signals and brake light on. I had to run a new ground wire for each light. My problems are, the left turn signals bleek alot faster and the brake light is really bright, gets really hot and doesnt signal when the brake is on. Also the motor seems to run rougher. What I have done wrong? I want to ride really bad, the weather is nice here in colorado. thanks.

baird4444

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2003 ES 500... 38,416 miles, I'm done
Re: turn signals-police style
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2009, 09:00:51 PM »
Britt-   the turn signal can be grounded at the mount....  the black wire on both sides is the ground if you use them. As far as the tail, sounds like you have the brake side wired to the tail light wire as well so both are always on. There should be 2 wires, 1 for tail which will be hot if the key is on. The brake will only be hot when the handle or pedal is used. The dimmer of the 2 filaments is the tail. The green wire on the bike should be the brake wire and the grey will be the tail light.
                - Mike
"You can't drink all day if you don't start in the morning!! "
        -Cody Baird
'My dear you are ugly,
 but tomorrow I shall be sober and you will still be ugly'
 - Winston Churchill

geoffbaker

« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2009, 11:02:16 PM »
I think baird444 has this covered... definitly you're applying juice to both filaments at the same time all the time. You've got three wires to a tail light bulb (common, filament 1 and filament 2)  OR two wires and a ground;  just interchange them till it all works!

The flashers also sound problematic are these LED bulbs? ... if so the flasher wont operate properly you need a digital flasher or a load resistor in circuit.

britt

• Neophyte
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2009, 02:27:24 PM »
THANKS FOR THE HELP, but my new problem is that both wires to tail light are HOT, Ive traced the wires around the bike and cant find wants going on. Can the brake switch be not working? THanks again for the help. This forum is awesome.

Rick Sperko

• Grand Gearhead
  • Milwaukee, WI
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2009, 02:42:52 PM »
Is the connection to the rear brake switch too tight causing it to be closed? Or is the front brake switch closed?

-Rick
Rick in Milwaukee, WI

'06 RE Bullet Classic Iron
'63 VW Beetle Ragtop (also classic)
'66 Chris Craft Cavalier Cutlass 26'
'02 BMW R1150R

geoffbaker

« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2009, 04:11:07 PM »
THANKS FOR THE HELP, but my new problem is that both wires to tail light are HOT, Ive traced the wires around the bike and cant find wants going on. Can the brake switch be not working? THanks again for the help. This forum is awesome.

Could be one of the brake switches is not working properly and is jammed. Alternatively, follow the wires looking for cracks; could be a short between brake and running light wire; lastly, disassemble and examine the bulb connector carefully you could have the tongues touching.

Travis

• Neophyte
« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2009, 09:56:25 PM »
this is fairly simple to fix....we will start with the Turn signals.... the problem lies with the bulbs of the new t-signals are of to high of wattage... the fix is take the OEM t-signals and remove the bulbs and place them in the new t-signals... this will help with the fast blinking. if for some reason this fast flashing still occurs check to see if  you have the two wire t-signals you more than likely have the power and ground backwards on the side that flashes faster. the brake light does have on wire for brake function and one for running... the way to find out which wire is for the brake function you will disconnect both wires from the taillight and with the wires from the taillight try one at a time. with one wire in hand and the bike just turned on (not running) insert the wire from the brake light into the harness while you apply the rear brake lever with you foot...watch to see how bright the light is when it does come on by operating the rear brake lever.. the brightest one is for the brake function.. once you find out what wire operates the brake function mark that wire and the wire from the harness the other will be the running light function of the brake.