HPRE

Menu

Members Rides

Apache 2

in
Members Rides

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
November 27, 2014, 04:07:15 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Cafe Racer Question for Ace.Cafe  (Read 2375 times)

tpelle

• Scooter
Cafe Racer Question for Ace.Cafe
« on: May 02, 2009, 02:24:09 AM »
Ace,

New member here, and thinking about a Bullet 500 Cafe Racer.  There is not a lot of info on the CMW Store site regarding this "kit", and since you appear to have one up and running, I hope you could answer a few questions:

1.  Exactly how straightforward is building this kit?  Is it a "bolt-on" affair?  Welding required?  Are all the brackets, control linkages, etc. included?
2.  Is there a metal frame under the fiberglass seat pan?
3.  On the pages describing the kit, no mention is made of the handlebars - so what is included?  Clubman bars?  Clip-Ons?

Any other info of pointers that you can offer would be appreciated.  Thanks.
Remember, when riding a horse, you are not actually in charge, but are just another voting member.

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
  • World leaders in racing or performance Bullets
Re: Cafe Racer Question for Ace.Cafe
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2009, 02:41:32 AM »
Well, mine's not "up and running" yet, but I have done the basic parts fitting.

No welding.
If you get the Cafe Fairing, that requires some easy drilling of the frame gussets behind the front down tube. This is for mounting the front fairing brace, and is real easy, and a template comes with the kit.
The tank bolts right on. Beautiful tank.
There is no metal seat pan. It's all fiberglass, but it sits on a metal mounting support, and has a small alloy sub-fender to help keep mud away from the engine area.
Handlebars are "clip-ons", which are clamped to the fork tubes. The casquette cannot be used with these handlebars, nor with the Cafe Fairing. A separate headlight housing and instrument panel are need to use those items. However, if you don't use the Cafe Fairing or the clip-ons, you can retain the casquette, and use "Ace" clubman bars instead.
I have not used the rear-sets that come with the kit, but I made my own instead. The ones in the kit should bolt right on. If used with a 4-speed gearbox, you need to buy the right-side shift kit for the 4-speed gearbox, in order to use the rearsets. I think the 5-speed rear-sets work on the standard left-shift setup.
The Cafe Fairing and the  "cafe swept-back pipe" requires use of rear-sets, but if you don't use the fairing or the rear-sets, you can use whatever pipe you want, including the "regular swept back" Goldstar system.

I think that the kit is easy to install, and only the cafe fairing has any drilling or mild difficulty in installation, and even that is easy.

The stuff is beautiful. Looks much better in person, than in the pictures.
It's all basically patterned off the Rickman Cafe Racer parts from the 60s. The fairing and seat are direct copies of Rickman glass, and the alloy tank is Rickman style.
Great stuff. You'll love it.
« Last Edit: May 02, 2009, 02:45:48 AM by ace.cafe »
Home of the ACE Fireball 535 Bullet,  Ace GP Hi-Lift Roller Rocker Head . Pistons, cams, etc. Highest performance Bullet engine mods available .  AVL mods. Redditch 700/750 Twin mods. UCE kit soon.

Please visit my new website:
http://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/AcePerformanceBullets/info

UncleErnie

• Grand Gearhead
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2009, 09:56:26 PM »
Why did you make your own rear-sets?

I got a different tank (Contenental), but it did not bolt right on.  Maybe the cafe tanks are made better.
Run what ya brung

Blltrdr

• Grand Gearhead
  • cycle-delic music
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2009, 10:15:44 PM »
Check out this Royal Enfield dealer site in the UK: www.a7motorcycles.co.uk/new_motorcycles.asp. Get out your trusty currency converter and do the math on the EFI Clubman. I want to know how they can do it and why they can't offer the same here.

Blltrdr
2003 Classic 500 5 spd
1992 Kawasaki ZG 1200 Voyager XII
1977 Yamaha XS 360-2D (Cafe Project)

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
  • World leaders in racing or performance Bullets
« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2009, 11:27:36 PM »
Why did you make your own rear-sets?

I got a different tank (Contenental), but it did not bolt right on.  Maybe the cafe tanks are made better.

I made my own rear-sets because sometimes I'm a tightwad about certain things, and I know how to make them.

The Continental tank and Cafe Racer tank are made for the old Bullet frame, and not the Electra. That's why there was a bit of a fiddle with them on yours. The differences aren't huge, but they do influence how perfectly they'll bolt up.
Home of the ACE Fireball 535 Bullet,  Ace GP Hi-Lift Roller Rocker Head . Pistons, cams, etc. Highest performance Bullet engine mods available .  AVL mods. Redditch 700/750 Twin mods. UCE kit soon.

Please visit my new website:
http://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/AcePerformanceBullets/info

boggy

• Grand Gearhead
  • Karma Ultra: 7
« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2009, 03:31:04 PM »
On the CMW store it says that the Cafe seat is not for the Electra models "yet."  I'm getting the impression it, and the Continental/Cafe tanks, do fit the Electras?... but not perfectly?  Any modifications need to be done? Or is it simply a matter of things not lining up... gaps... etc?  I'd love to recreate the beautiful, red Continental GT.
2007 AVL
2006 DRZ400SM