Menu

Members Rides

trails

in
Members Rides

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 18, 2014, 04:10:22 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Suggestions for a replacement (better) headlight?  (Read 203 times)

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Re: Suggestions for a replacement (better) headlight?
« Reply #15 on: Today at 12:19:53 PM »
Any halogen is going to be better.  You can just swap the headlight in there for a halogen auto bulb.  The locator tabs don't line up but you can just tighten the scews on the ring and it will stay in place just fine. 

I have the 7" halogen from NField Gear and it's great on low beam, pretty good on high beam.  I'm planning to replace the reflector only with the Hella Euro spec model.  It's not technically DOT approved because Euro lights don't throw any light overhead to illuminate road signs.  Since all that light goes to the road instead I'm ok with that ;)  If you can get the mounting ring set, almost any 7" reflector will fit, and if you can mount a halogen bulb it will be a big improvement.

Scott
« Last Edit: Today at 03:48:36 PM by Ducati Scotty »

1 Thump

• Grand Gearhead
« Reply #16 on: Today at 12:33:52 PM »
Any halogen is going to be better.  You can just swap the headlight in there for a halogen auto bulb.  The locator tabs don't line up but you can just tighten the scews on the ring and it will stay in place just fine. 

I have the Minda 7" halogen from NField Gear and it's great on low beam, pretty good on high beam.  I'm planning to replace the reflector only with the Hella Euro spec model.  It's not technically DOT approved because Euro lights don't throw any light overhead to illuminate road signs.  Since all that light goes to the road instead I'm ok with that ;)  If you can get the mounting ring set, almost any 7" reflector will fit, and if you can mount a halogen bulb it will be a big improvement.

Scott

+1
2008 RE Classic- Fireball-For Sale

2009 Aprilia Mana

mattsz

• Grand Gearhead
  • moto-gurdyist
« Reply #17 on: Today at 03:43:32 PM »
I only upgraded to the Minda 7" provided by our host, it is already worlds better than the stock light.  An added benefit was that it included a pilot light, so I punched in the largest BA9 I could get from Super LED.  Now I cruise daytime with that on, it fills the 'headlight on' requirement without any drain on the battery, and come night time the 7" gives a much better area of coverage on the road than the stock light did.

Huh.  I cruise daytime with my headlight on - high beam!  I want people to see me.  My battery does just fine.

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
« Reply #18 on: Today at 03:49:01 PM »
Huh.  I cruise daytime with my headlight on - high beam!  I want people to see me. 

Same here.