HPRE

Menu

Members Rides

Cape Cod Vintage Sidecar Tours

in
Members Rides

49 Guests, 3 Users
Grant Borden, p144, mattsz
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
October 02, 2014, 10:47:39 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Possible Purchase  (Read 2919 times)

little_a_o

• 8 mph slower than indicated
  • Scooter
  • '06 Military (Missed)
Possible Purchase
« on: May 25, 2009, 02:57:49 PM »
I'm working with someone long distance and they supplied me with a photo of a title already signed by someone else as the seller.  Is this something people do regularly?  I mean, how can I send him the dough when his name is not even on the title?  He is right up front about it, but still, if there was ever a problem, I would look pretty dumb. (Well, thats true I should never had sold my military in the first place. DUMB DUMB DUMB)  How would you proceed?

Thanks AO

REpozer

• Superfly and
  • Grand Gearhead
Re: Possible Purchase
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2009, 04:06:54 PM »
Auto brokers act as a middle man. Don't know the cost.
2008 AVL Classic Bullet in British Racing Green
REA # 84 ( the first time)

little_a_o

• Scooter
  • '06 Military (Missed)
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2009, 05:11:06 PM »
Auto brokers act as a middle man. Don't know the cost.

Yes, but shouldn't he post his broker license?  Besides this person does not admit to being a broker.

Thanks REpozer

Blue Ridge Wheeltor

• Grand Gearhead
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2009, 07:40:15 PM »
That's known as an open title. Pretty common.
Say I buy a bike from Joe Smith, and he fills out the title but leaves the buyers name blank. I decide not to keep the bike, and sell it to Bob Jones. It looks like it was sold directly from Joe Smith to Bob Jones. The alternative is I title it in my name, pay tax and title fee, wait for it to come back, sell it to you. Just an extra step and more $$$ for the DMV.
One thing to consider is where you are buying it from. When I bought my Ural, it came from Washington state. When i went to the NC DMV, the gestapo there got excited because the papers weren't notarized. Until it was pointed out to them that Washington is not a notary state. ;D
So if it is coming from a notary state, the seller will have to somehow get it notarized.

Of greater concern is why is it an open title. Did the seller buy it to resell? Was it in an accident and the seller fixed it up, etc.?
When I registered my RE, it was an open title. I filled in my name and took it to the DMV, in a small town. I had a printed photo of the vin #, and had the bike in the trailer. I disarmed the Nazi behind the counter my telling her what a nice looking necklace she had, and how I never saw one like that before. I guess no one compliments these people, because she warmed right up. I was going to ask her if it was the gold medal for the shotput, 1964 Olympics, but restrained myself.
The morons were so confused by the Enfield because it wasn't in their books, and wanted me to take it to the DMV headquarters to get an inspector to check it. That's when I produced the printed photo of the vin # and pointed to the trailer out front. I correctly figured that fatty would refrain from lifting her leg that high to get on the trailer, and wasn't comfortable on any trailer that didn't have hay on the floor, so she accepted it as is.
Unfortunately, the title and registration shows it as a 2008 ROEN, but I don't care.
REA #25
2008 Royal Enfield Deluxe (Blue)
2006 Ural Patrol
1978 BMW R 100s--SOLD--
1977 HD XLCR
1971 Triumph Bonneville

Blue Ridge Wheeltor

• Grand Gearhead
« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2009, 07:44:31 PM »
I just noticed you were from NY/NJ. This may be more difficult.

Call the DMV and ask them how to go about it. Never give them your correct name over the phone.

I always use an alias.

Cabo Cruz works. ;D ;D ;D
REA #25
2008 Royal Enfield Deluxe (Blue)
2006 Ural Patrol
1978 BMW R 100s--SOLD--
1977 HD XLCR
1971 Triumph Bonneville

pknopp

• Bulleteer
« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2009, 07:45:30 PM »
 Here is what you need to do. You need to call your DMV and see what is needed to transfer the title in your name.

My state is completely messed up. I have to have a notorized bill of sale for a title out of Indiana but not in state or Ohio.

What happened as you likely already know is that he bought the vehicle but never paid the taxes and transfer fee to put it in his name.

If you don't need a notorized bill of sale you will be O.K. If it's a dealer, he should have the proper paperwork. If you do need a notorized bill of sale, it can be a hassle. It would be to your benefit to have him put the title in his name.

There are work arounds but again, can be a hassle. I've skipped titles many times. Not legal really but then again, not a big deal (depending on your DMV regs).
2000 Dlx

REpozer

• Superfly and
  • Grand Gearhead
« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2009, 07:53:56 PM »
I think AO is concerned about sending hard earned cash to a stranger and not receiving said RE.
The same would go for me if someone purchased my RE from out of state and wanted me to crate and ship my MC. I would want some guarantees (cash) up front before I shipped my MC off.
A third party broker should be able to handle that. Other wise you would have to trust the person over the phone and though the mail.

Rick Sperko

• Grand Gearhead
  • Milwaukee, WI
« Reply #7 on: May 25, 2009, 08:18:42 PM »
Cabo Cruz works. ;D ;D ;D

Now that is good thinking.
Rick in Milwaukee, WI

'06 RE Bullet Classic Iron
'63 VW Beetle Ragtop (also classic)
'66 Chris Craft Cavalier Cutlass 26'
'02 BMW R1150R

Cabo Cruz

• Papa Juan
  • Grand Gearhead
« Reply #8 on: May 25, 2009, 08:59:23 PM »
My dear Friends, I ask you to keep in mind that the knife cuts both ways!!!   ;)
Long live the Bullets and those who ride them!

Keep the shiny side up, the boots on the pegs and best REgards,

Papa Juan

REA:    Member No. 119
BIKE:   2004 Royal Enfield Sixty-5
NAME: Perla

Rick Sperko

• Grand Gearhead
  • Milwaukee, WI
« Reply #9 on: May 25, 2009, 09:07:32 PM »
I gotta change my name on the site quick! From now on, I shall be known as Geoff Baker.
Rick in Milwaukee, WI

'06 RE Bullet Classic Iron
'63 VW Beetle Ragtop (also classic)
'66 Chris Craft Cavalier Cutlass 26'
'02 BMW R1150R

1Blackwolf1

• Grand Gearhead
  • Looking for the next rebuild project....
« Reply #10 on: May 25, 2009, 11:00:28 PM »
That's known as an open title. Pretty common.
Say I buy a bike from Joe Smith, and he fills out the title but leaves the buyers name blank. I decide not to keep the bike, and sell it to Bob Jones. It looks like it was sold directly from Joe Smith to Bob Jones. The alternative is I title it in my name, pay tax and title fee, wait for it to come back, sell it to you. Just an extra step and more $$$ for the DMV.
One thing to consider is where you are buying it from. When I bought my Ural, it came from Washington state. When i went to the NC DMV, the gestapo there got excited because the papers weren't notarized. Until it was pointed out to them that Washington is not a notary state. ;D
So if it is coming from a notary state, the seller will have to somehow get it notarized.

Of greater concern is why is it an open title. Did the seller buy it to resell? Was it in an accident and the seller fixed it up, etc.?
When I registered my RE, it was an open title. I filled in my name and took it to the DMV, in a small town. I had a printed photo of the vin #, and had the bike in the trailer. I disarmed the Nazi behind the counter my telling her what a nice looking necklace she had, and how I never saw one like that before. I guess no one compliments these people, because she warmed right up. I was going to ask her if it was the gold medal for the shotput, 1964 Olympics, but restrained myself.
The morons were so confused by the Enfield because it wasn't in their books, and wanted me to take it to the DMV headquarters to get an inspector to check it. That's when I produced the printed photo of the vin # and pointed to the trailer out front. I correctly figured that fatty would refrain from lifting her leg that high to get on the trailer, and wasn't comfortable on any trailer that didn't have hay on the floor, so she accepted it as is.
Unfortunately, the title and registration shows it as a 2008 ROEN, but I don't care.

You old smoothie..Will.
Will Morrison
2007 500 Military
2000 Kawasaki Drifter 1500
2000 Victory V92SC
1976 Suzuki GT185 Rebuilder Special..AKA (Junkyard Dog)
Many, many other toys.
The garage is full.

The Garbone

• Shade Tree
  • Grand Gearhead
  • User Complaints: 22
« Reply #11 on: May 26, 2009, 01:14:30 AM »
That's when I produced the printed photo of the vin # and pointed to the trailer out front. I correctly figured that fatty would refrain from lifting her leg that high to get on the trailer, and wasn't comfortable on any trailer that didn't have hay on the floor, so she accepted it as is.

LOL...   Classic.... :D
Gary
57' RE Crusader 250
67' Ford Mustang
74' Catalina 27 "Knot a Clew"
95 RE Ace Clubman 535
01 HD 1200 Custom
07 RE 5spd HaCK

* all actions described in this post are fictional *

little_a_o

• Scooter
  • '06 Military (Missed)
« Reply #12 on: May 26, 2009, 01:23:02 AM »
Thanks for all the responses.  It sounds like you all have more patience for this stuff than I do. 

Yes REpozer, that is the initial apprehension I have, followed by the DMV folks.  Here's the other situation that makes me think I should just pass.  I'm temporarily living in Arizona but want to register and title it in NY.

Maybe by the time I get back to NY the C5 will be available and I'll contemplate that.  The red looks great, but black, or the blue would satisfy me too. 

Missing my 2006 Military even more, now.

AO
I think AO is concerned about sending hard earned cash to a stranger and not receiving said RE.
The same would go for me if someone purchased my RE from out of state and wanted me to crate and ship my MC. I would want some guarantees (cash) up front before I shipped my MC off.
A third party broker should be able to handle that. Other wise you would have to trust the person over the phone and though the mail.

REpozer

• Superfly and
  • Grand Gearhead
« Reply #13 on: May 26, 2009, 01:33:59 AM »
Hang in there AO, she's out their waiting.

geoffbaker

« Reply #14 on: May 26, 2009, 11:16:10 PM »
I gotta change my name on the site quick! From now on, I shall be known as Geoff Baker.

And from now on, I will always use the alias Rick Sperko when applying for title to the DMV, filing paperwork, robbing banks, that kind of thing.