HPRE

Menu

Members Rides

My new saddlebags

in
Members Rides

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
September 01, 2014, 11:28:29 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Fuel Octane  (Read 7511 times)

Thumper

• Psalm 23
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Classic Wannabe
Re: Fuel Octane
« Reply #15 on: October 04, 2007, 02:08:06 PM »
I've been using regular, and haven't had any problems. I've noticed a few stations here that have 83, but I don't buy there if I can get to the next station. My Jeep runs on the middle grade, and the Ural says it wants premium. Hard keeping track of all of them...  :D

I'll see if I can find the e-mail I got from Gary about Ural oil, fuel. He was pretty clear that the oil viscosity and fuel octane suggestions were not based on engineering decisions. In the case of the Ural, the higher octane fuel is to get a slower burn and less NOx. I'll find that and forward iit to you.
I now need to agree with this because of personal experience. I have owned up too or about twenty motorcycles in my life. Since retirement a year and four months I have bought five brand new motorcycles alone (second childhood and a very understanding wife, even though she doesn't get it). Yesterday my latest purchase is a new 2007 Ural Retro. I really like the bike, but I have never in my life seen a motorcycle set so lean from the factory. It coughed and sneeze through the air cleaner at slower speeds all the way home, which by the way was 112.6 miles.
They must have a hard time passing emissions!

I put a 2005 750 upgrade engine in my 2000 Deco. I bumped up the main jets and the idle jets. It was the increase in the size of the idle jets that really made a difference. No more spitting, coughing  and jerking as I left for work. Better idle too.

Matt

Sam

• Uralist & now, Bulleteer!
  • Bulleteer
« Reply #16 on: October 04, 2007, 03:49:42 PM »
Gluttons for punishment, aren't we? I, too, put a new (late '06) 750 in my '00 Deco. I live at 5000+ ft, and it was still lean. I went up 5 on the pilots and 15, as I recall, on the mains, just to see some color on the plugs. It's still a bit baulky until it warms up, but it does idle now.
<Insert cryptic saying by obscure author here>

dewjantim

• Grease Monkey
« Reply #17 on: October 24, 2007, 08:12:16 PM »
Regardless of what some have said on this query, my bike gets better gas mileage with high test gas. My 883 Sportster is supposed to use regular gas also. When using regular gas it is really LOUD , doesn't get as good mileage, and doesn't run as good. A good friend, and riding buddy, of mine was an engineer at the Marathon oil refinery down the road. He says the bikes will run smoother on high octane due to the slower burn of the gas giving a more even "push" to the piston as it goes down the cylinder. He also says it will give better mileage. We both usually use high test in all our bikes. Occasionally, usually after reading one of these threads, I will use regular gas in my RE. It pretty much runs the same but gets about 20% less gas mileage every time. Of course, I like to put her in high gear and cruise. Up hills, down hills, around curves always in high gear. Sometimes the engine will lug down pretty slowly, with regular you will get detonation with almost any bike during this type of riding. High test gives me no problems.....Dew.
If it hurts, you're not dead yet!!!!!