HPRE

Menu

Members Rides

Ready for the ride

in
Members Rides

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
July 31, 2014, 05:48:23 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Yamaha SR400 is heading to the USA  (Read 1229 times)

barenekd

• Grand Gearhead
Re: Yamaha SR400 is heading to the USA
« Reply #30 on: March 17, 2014, 11:09:40 PM »
All the Japanese have too light of flywheels. They'll never work like a Brit Bike. they are made to rev. You'll never find a Japanese bike that con emulate a Brit. the closest I've ever seen it the Suzuki 650 Boulevard(?) Used to be called something else (S6?). I do like the engine in that one. Unfortunately, the styling of the bike is past atrocious. The Cafe racer version is a bit better, but it's still got the cruiser handling properties.
Bare
2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Racer
2011 Black Classic G5 (RIP)
I refuse to tiptoe through life only to arrive safely at death
http://www.controllineplans.com

suitcasejefferson

• Grease Monkey
« Reply #31 on: March 18, 2014, 02:00:00 AM »
Actually the CBR250 is not a thumper. It is a single, but it doesn't thump, due to it's ultra short stroke, and revvy motor. The Japanese simply don't build long stroke motors. Not singles, or v-twins. A lot of what gives Harley engines that distinctive sound is their long stroke. Yes, the offbeat firing order is also part of it, but it won't sound that way without the long stroke. My Vulcan 750 is a 55 degree single crankpin v-twin, but it sounds like a lawn mower if you put loud pipes on it. It also has a counterbalancer. So it runs more like an inline four than a v-twin. The long stroke is one of the reasons I got an Enfield. It actually sounds and feels like a motorcycle.

Japanese bike riders are a whole different type. They was smooth, quiet, lots of power, handling, triple disc brakes, and total reliability without much maintenance. To me that means that want rid of virtually everything that makes a motorcycle a motorcycle. Even the new Triumph has abandoned the character of vintage bikes. The new Bonneville sounds and feels like a sewing machine. They are basically the same as a Japanese bike now.
2013 Royal Enfield B5
2002 Kawasaki Vulcan 750
2001 Yamaha XT225
2012 Yamaha Zuma 125
2009 Genuine Stella 2 stroke
1980 Puch Maxi ZA50 2 speed
1971 VeloSolex S3800

Dave1

• Scooter
« Reply #32 on: March 18, 2014, 07:57:12 PM »
Personally, I find the price and performance for a 400 single a little disappointing. I would of hoped they could of gotten more out of it. The price in the UK is 5199. Now in the UK you have a big choice of bikes for that money. But I'm a retro and classic type guy.

I would prefer a Jawa 350 Retro. Which has 1970's styling, and in my opinion looks a lot better. Same amount of horse power with 50 cc less but more importantly more torque and its a parallel twin two stroke which is also a long stroke engine. The Jawa only costs 3799 on the road price.

My Dad back in the 70's actually owned one of these bikes, he said his was a different colour theme. Obviously the engine wasn't as up to date. Dad said it was a fast and reliable bike..Until he crashed it. And he had no doubt would of continued going for a long time!

« Last Edit: March 18, 2014, 08:48:11 PM by Dave1 »

ROVERMAN

• Grand Gearhead
« Reply #33 on: March 19, 2014, 07:17:09 PM »
I have a soft spot for Jawa's and CZ's. Don't honestly know why, but i do. ;) ;)

barenekd

• Grand Gearhead
« Reply #34 on: March 19, 2014, 08:22:02 PM »
I know why I have a soft spot for CZs, I had a '70 250 Motocrosser and it as probably the best MX bike I ever had. Unbreakable and did everything right! I broke my leg on it ,but that's a different story.
Bare
« Last Edit: March 20, 2014, 10:24:28 PM by barenekd »
2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Racer

Dave1

• Scooter
« Reply #35 on: March 20, 2014, 06:16:17 PM »
That's good to hear guys! Well I phoned the Jawa importer in the UK. I asked him loads of questions about it, and it happens he used to be an RE dealer as well. And could speak and compare the two bikes directly. He was a very honest man. Telling me the 300 expansion chamber exhaust for the Jawa's aren't worth the money. That the mod which he developed for the carb and standard exhaust produces better results! And it only costs 80. An honest sales man, now that's rare!

The modern 350's Jawa hardly ever come up secondhand. The only place is the importer his self. And that is very rarely! So I asked the question did he have any secondhand Jawa's in? Yes he did, one a 2009 Classic 350cc in black, brilliant my favourite colour! And its only done 1300 miles! The price he is asking is very reasonable and hes willing to be flexible on final payment after a deposit has been payed. So I have decided after checking my bank balance that tomorrow I am going to pull the plug on it!

This will be a good second bike to my Enfield. Will be good to have two bikes in the stable again. Not ever going to be off the road now, and it allows me to tune my Enfield engine without worring about time frames.

« Last Edit: March 20, 2014, 06:36:27 PM by Dave1 »

barenekd

• Grand Gearhead
« Reply #36 on: March 20, 2014, 10:28:12 PM »
Nice looking bike. The engine vaguely reminds me of a 350 Yamaha I once had,  a 1967 R5
Bare
2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Racer

Dave1

• Scooter
« Reply #37 on: March 22, 2014, 08:08:41 AM »
That bike is before my time so I had to look it up, yeah see what you mean with the similarities in looks when comparing the two motorcycles.

Carlsberg Wordsworth

• Neophyte
« Reply #38 on: June 26, 2014, 09:49:57 PM »
I really like the thought of the SR400 when it was re-announced. It took forever to come into the showroom though so I ended up with the RE. Good job too, I'm sure it gets more admiration than the SR ever would. Plus, for the money, and owning the B5 now, I'd rather plunk it down on a GT.

Dave1, any updates on the Jawa ownership? I'd be interested to hear.

gizzo

• Bulleteer
« Reply #39 on: June 27, 2014, 12:55:50 AM »
All the Japanese have too light of flywheels. They'll never work like a Brit Bike. they are made to rev. You'll never find a Japanese bike that con emulate a Brit. the closest I've ever seen it the Suzuki 650 Boulevard(?) Used to be called something else (S6?). I do like the engine in that one. Unfortunately, the styling of the bike is past atrocious. The Cafe racer version is a bit better, but it's still got the cruiser handling properties.
Bare

LS650 or S40. I have one. I bobbed it out and I think it's a cool looking bike. Pretty sweet handling for a cruiser, too. It's got more ground clearance than you'd think. And the engine is really very good.
simon from south Australia
Continental GT
Suzuki Savage bobber
Pantah
Monster
DR250

bob bezin

• Grand Gearhead
  • I ride therefore I am.
« Reply #40 on: Today at 05:19:28 PM »
i love all bikes equal ..but some are more equal than others. when i'm cruzin on a back road at 45 0r 50 mph. it almost dos'nt matter what i'm on.but lets face it, the re is just more viceral than the jap bikes or even the new triumph. but hey there all fun.
2000 RE classic ,              56 matchless g80
2006 RE delux fireball       86 yamaha SRX 600
65 500cctriumph
04 bonnie black
71 750 norton.
48 whizzer