HPRE

Menu

Members Rides

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
July 25, 2014, 06:31:32 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Dealing with a rattly screw  (Read 78 times)

Rich Mintz

• Grease Monkey
  • Daily rider in the city
Dealing with a rattly screw
« on: July 24, 2014, 02:50:39 PM »
My other bike (SYM Symba, basically a Super Cub) has a rattly exhaust heat shield. The shield is held on by two screws, which are fixed in place (by corrosion, etc.). Unfortunately, the position they're fixed in is backed out about a millimeter, allowing the heat shield to bounce and rattle at both ends.

(I assume what happened is that there was formerly a lock washer in between the screw head and the hole, which has worked loose and fallen off.)

Eventually I'll take the thing apart and get the screws loosened and removed (this will be a project). In the meantime, what can I insert as a spacer, to hold the screws in place and reduce the rattling? Whatever it is has to be heat-tolerant, as this is the top of the exhaust -- but not so permanent that I can't get the screws out SOMEDAY.

Photo: https://www.dropbox.com/s/p97za3yqb9g62i6/2014-07-15%2017.35.39.jpg

barenekd

• Grand Gearhead
Re: Dealing with a rattly screw
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2014, 06:51:18 PM »
have you tried Liquid Wrench?
Note: I did NOT say WD40
Bare
2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Racer
2011 Black Classic G5 (RIP)
I refuse to tiptoe through life only to arrive safely at death
http://www.controllineplans.com

ROVERMAN

• Grand Gearhead
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2014, 07:54:24 PM »
Nice one Bare!

Rich Mintz

• Grease Monkey
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2014, 08:01:37 PM »
Just picked some up at my neighborhood hardware and sprayed it all over the screws. Will see if it helps.

Arizoni

• Grand Gearhead
  • "But it's a dry heat here in Arizona
« Reply #4 on: Today at 12:40:40 AM »
Go to a Home Depot and buy a roll of  bare #22 guage copper wire.

Push the shield away from the screw head and tightly wrap as many turns as you can around the screw body.

The wire is heat proof and it will fill up the void between the screw head and the washer.

The only catch is the gap between the screw head and the washer must be larger than .025 inches (0.64mm).
http://www.homedepot.com/p/OOK-22-Gauge-Copper-Hobby-Wire-75-Ft-1-Roll-50163/100294013
Jim
2011 G5 Deluxe
1999 Miata 10th Anniversary

pmanaz1973

• Neophyte
« Reply #5 on: Today at 04:16:10 AM »
I'm a huge fan of Kano Kroil.  It is a penetrating oil that works wonders.  I've used it to loosen header studs on a 1942 Jeep during a restoration and on impeller shafts frozen by salt water.  Spray it on, let it set overnight and typically even the most stubborn stud or bolt turns with ease.
1991 XR250L (traded for)
1976 Harley XLH 1000 (blew up)
1993 CBR 600 (sold for)
1976 Norton Commando 850 (traded for)
1972 BMW R75/5 (sold)
2014 Royal Enfield C5 (August 2014)

Rich Mintz

• Grease Monkey
« Reply #6 on: Today at 03:52:04 PM »
Incredibly, Jim's #22 copper wire trick worked the first time. And I just did a hack job of squishing a little wire under one of the screws in a sloppy manner (didn't remove the footpeg or fairing that made access more difficult). The rattle is significantly dampened.

The solvent didn't seem to affect my ability to get the screws out, but without removing the footpeg and fairing, I don't have quite the right leverage to test. So that project will be put off to another day.

While I was in the garage sweating like a pig anyway, I took the rear rack and milk crate off the back of the bike. Photos later.

mattsz

• Grand Gearhead
  • moto-gurdyist
« Reply #7 on: Today at 05:44:21 PM »
Incredibly, Jim's #22 copper wire trick worked the first time.

Don't say "incredibly" - you'll just make him feel bad...

While I was in the garage sweating like a pig anyway, I took the rear rack and milk crate off the back of the bike.

Too bad - as some of you know, I like a good milk-crate luggage basket!  At least I did... for a short while...  ;)