HPRE

Menu

Members Rides

Phantom 535_2

in
Members Rides

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 31, 2015, 12:39:00 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Cleaning up cases; best advice?  (Read 80 times)

dginfw

• Grease Monkey
Cleaning up cases; best advice?
« on: March 29, 2015, 09:26:59 PM »
So the cases are split, and I was shocked and embarrassed by the amount of thick black sludge at the bottom. Even though I left the drain plug open before I began, that stuff was the consistency of pudding and didn't drain out of the cases...
What is the most efficient means of cleaning this stuff out of there and making sure the oil passageways are clear? Should I just grab a roll of paper towels and begin wiping? Is there something I can pour in the case halves to thin that stuff out?

Also, it looks like the outer cases of the transmission housing are painted a shade of aluminum gray; what is best for cleaning that off without stripping away the paint or damaging its finish? 
Dave in TX:   '01  W650
                    '14 Continental GT-  sold
                    '06 Iron Barrel Bullet

High On Octane

• Grand Gearhead
  • Go Fast & Look Good Doing It
Re: Cleaning up cases; best advice?
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2015, 09:31:44 PM »
I use brake cleaner on just about everything for cleaning.  Breaks down grease fast, evaporates fast, and it doesn't damage chrome or paint.  Should be able to use the supplied straw to get into the tight areas and flushing the oil passages.
Scottie J  ~  Bulldog Kustoms Denver  ~  1958 Enfield/Indian Trailblazer / Corn Fed ~  1959 Enfield/Indian Chief

mattsz

• Grand Gearhead
  • moto-gurdyist
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2015, 11:32:02 PM »
I didn't find anything like that inside my cases - just clean, fresh-looking... oil!

That gray paint is pretty tough stuff - I would think anything that cuts grease should work.  I've cleaned mine off easily with WD-40 on a rag.  However, I'm looking for something that will strip that gray paint away!  Acetone and laquer-thinner work, but they evaporate so quickly, and that paint is pretty thick in spots.  So don't use either of those...  ;)

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
  • World leaders in performance/racing Bullets
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2015, 12:08:50 AM »
Get a gallon of mineral spirits at the hardware store, and pour some in each case half and slosh it around. Then wipe it all out with a rag. Do this a few times and it will be all clean
Iron Barrel engines almost always have a lot of sludge in them when you open them up.

dginfw

• Grease Monkey
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2015, 09:51:28 PM »
...Iron Barrel engines almost always have a lot of sludge in them when you open them up.

What is causing this? Oil not getting changed frequently? Or not letting it ALL of it drain out when changing?  I only put a couple hundred miles on mine before the teardown, so I am guilty of not changing the oil on this bike yet...because when I loosened the banjo bolts at the head to check for flow, it looked normal and light brown -not dirty at all.  I noticed the sludge was both in the oil tank (rear section of cases) and the front portion where the crank sits.
Dave in TX:   '01  W650
                    '14 Continental GT-  sold
                    '06 Iron Barrel Bullet

High On Octane

• Grand Gearhead
  • Go Fast & Look Good Doing It
« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2015, 10:51:22 PM »
What is causing this? Oil not getting changed frequently? Or not letting it ALL of it drain out when changing?  I only put a couple hundred miles on mine before the teardown, so I am guilty of not changing the oil on this bike yet...because when I loosened the banjo bolts at the head to check for flow, it looked normal and light brown -not dirty at all.  I noticed the sludge was both in the oil tank (rear section of cases) and the front portion where the crank sits.

Just a guess here, but I'm sure it has something to do with how damn hot the IBs run.  I have a feeling the oil gets a little cooked over the years.  I know my twin runs at about 250*F at the heads.
Scottie J  ~  Bulldog Kustoms Denver  ~  1958 Enfield/Indian Trailblazer / Corn Fed ~  1959 Enfield/Indian Chief