HPRE

Menu

Members Rides

Mikes Enfield NZ

in
Members Rides

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
September 01, 2014, 11:22:45 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: random stall  (Read 105 times)

kwikee

• Neophyte
random stall
« on: August 25, 2014, 06:54:26 PM »
hi, just had my oil changed and filled up the tank. went on a 40 mile round trip and when stopped at a red light in first gear, bike started choking and died unexpectedly. i've heard it start to choke and i would rev the engine a little but this time when i went to rev, it died right away. this is the second time it's happened. anyone else experience this on their UCE? thoughts on what could be the cause?
2015 Kawasaki Ninja 300 (pondering on purchase)
2012 Royal Enfield Bullet B5
2005 Ninja 500

Mr.Mazza

• Grease Monkey
  • Upside down thumping
Re: random stall
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2014, 12:17:36 AM »
Maybe your mechanic overfilled the oil slightly and its dumped it into your air filter?
Lizzy - 07 500 Deluxe ES - Red and chrome

Arizoni

• Grand Gearhead
  • "But it's a dry heat here in Arizona
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2014, 05:44:06 AM »
That's possible and it's worth a check to see if there is any oil on the air filter.

Of course, the first thing to check out (after the air filter) is the spark plug.

The OEM Bosch isn't noted for its stiller performance.  A NGK BPR6ES with the removable spark plug cap is much better.

Anyway, the center insulator should be a tan/white color.  If it looks blistered the engine is running too lean.  If it is black and sooty the engine is running too rich.
Both of these conditions are unlikely unless there is something wrong with one of the sensors or the ECU.  If something is wrong with the sensors or the ECU, the engine shaped MIL light should be glowing, indicating a problem.

Getting to more real things that aren't obvious, the ground wire(s) on many Royal Enfields have been known to break within 4 inches of the battery.
The break is often with the connector or inside the wires insulation.

A break in the smaller wire can cause misfiring and the engine dying.

More than likely, the problem is that somewhere, one of the nylon electrical harness connectors is loose.  Try pulling them apart with an easy pull.  They are self locking so none of them should come apart.  If one does you probably found the problem.

A poorly adjusted side stand safety switch can be on the verge of turning the engine off.  Any vibration can trigger it if it isn't adjusted correctly.
Disconnecting the wire that leads from the side stand to the main electrical harness will remove it from a possible candidate.
Jim
2011 G5 Deluxe
1999 Miata 10th Anniversary

kwikee

• Neophyte
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2014, 12:01:00 PM »
thank you Mr.Mazza and Arizoni for your input. i rode to work today and so far hasn't been an issue standing at the red lights. will take a look and troubleshoot!
2005 Ninja 500

kwikee

• Neophyte
« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2014, 11:57:16 PM »
Had some real tough time starting it to get home and almost ended calling road assistance as kick start just wouldn't do. Had the tender plugged in for two days and only gave me 1.5 tries. Checked the air filter and do not see any oil. Checked the battery and levels seem fine so suspecting the battery is bad?
No engine light so doesn't seem engine related. Battery cable harness seems fine as well as terminals. Had to try few times to get it to kick start. Now m stumped why the kick start is giving me harder time.
2005 Ninja 500

mattsz

• Grand Gearhead
  • moto-gurdyist
« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2014, 10:35:38 AM »
If your battery is bad, or not charged, you won't be able to e-start or kick start the bike.  Random cutting out and battery not charging could both be symptoms of a broken battery connection.

Check your battery, the OEM ones sometimes fail early in the game.  And as for the battery terminals, if one is broken in the "usual" spot, it will seem fine even if it isn't, as the break occurs beneath layers of sturdy heat-shrink insulation which will hold the pieces in intermittent contact.  My bike finally wouldn't run at all; I couldn't see or feel a problem with the terminal end.  I had to strip the insulation away from the terminal end to find it broken clean in two.  New terminal end, problem solved!

kwikee

• Neophyte
« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2014, 09:10:27 PM »
the battery reading is 12.89V and electric start just cranks and kick start works once in a while so to your point, cable break might be the issue. Since the bike is under 2 yrs, is it worth me messing around to fix this or should i just take it to the dealer?
2005 Ninja 500

Mr.Mazza

• Grease Monkey
  • Upside down thumping
« Reply #7 on: August 29, 2014, 12:15:57 AM »
Just have a good look and wiggle of the cables, a break will be pretty evident.
If your not confident rewiring some new ones a dealer can do it but its not very hard at all and is a good time to learn
Lizzy - 07 500 Deluxe ES - Red and chrome

kwikee

• Neophyte
« Reply #8 on: August 30, 2014, 06:06:20 PM »
Tested the battery few more times and after few failed estart attempts battery is around 12.4v. I wiggled the cables from behind the battery and can't seem to feel any breakage obeing loose.
2005 Ninja 500

mattsz

• Grand Gearhead
  • moto-gurdyist
« Reply #9 on: August 30, 2014, 08:33:27 PM »
Tested the battery few more times and after few failed estart attempts battery is around 12.4v. I wiggled the cables from behind the battery and can't seem to feel any breakage obeing loose.

Kwikee - a broken cable end may not be your problem... but if it is, and if it's the same set-up that came on mine, you might not feel anything.  Mine had thick layers of heat-shrink insulation on them which held them rigidly.  The broken one looked and felt fine, no matter how I pushed, pulled, wiggled, or moved it around.  When I finally stripped off the insulation with a utility knife, the broken end piece just fell into my hand.

It would be a drag if you stripped your wires down, only to find the connectors were fine - and they may be, so no promises.  I'm just passing on what happened with mine...