HPRE

Menu

Members Rides

500 as she was

in
Members Rides

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 18, 2015, 08:53:15 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Ace assisting Bullet Whisperer racing effort  (Read 13954 times)

Adrian II

• Bulleteer
  • Sharing my ignorance with anyone who needs it
Re: Ace assisting Bullet Whisperer racing effort
« Reply #285 on: April 16, 2015, 11:30:51 PM »
If you have already advised the forum in this respect, I shall await from High on Octane notification of the appropriate post.

;D

Not that it's immediately relevant to the subject of this thread, but I suspect many of us are now trying to guess the identity of this distinguished former racer. :-X
Grumpy Brit still seeking 500 AVL Bullet perfection! Will let you know if I get anywhere near...

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
  • World leaders in performance/racing Bullets
« Reply #286 on: April 16, 2015, 11:33:49 PM »
Sure.
I am not a motorcycle racer, but I have participated in SCCA amateur sportscar racing in the 1970s. My own car was an H-Production Austin Healey Sprite "Frogeye" 950cc.
I worked at a garage which specialized in British sports cars for road and for racing. The shop campaigned a Lotus 23B sports racer. We also did prep work on many types of production racers and some formula racers such as Formula Ford and Formula B.
That was where I got my start in racing and engine performance work.

After that, I got interested in motorcycles(mostly Italian ones at that time) and had a few 1970s Ducatis. I had a couple of bevel twin 750 round case models, and also the "odd duck" parallel twin 500 GTL. During that time I made acquaintance with Syd and Malcolme Tunstall who were some of the most successful Ducati racers in the US, and spent some time with them and their racers, and did some pit crew work for them, and did a performance rebuild of one of my 750s with their parts and their coaching. During this time, Syd Tunstall won the #1 plate at the Daytona races for the 250 class on his Diana 250. Malcolme was always near the top with his 750 Sport, but Jimmy Adamo always got the factory money from Ducati, and this was a problem with Malcolme, and they eventually switched to Bimota. I moved away around that time.

Later, I had a Laverda 3c 1000, which was kitted to 1200 and Imola cams and bigger carbs with high compression pistons. That was a real white knuckle ride!
Benelli SEI 750 rounded out the pack for my Italian machines.

Took a hiatus from bikes for a while, doing some automated data acquisition and controls work for a company, and didn't come back to bikes until the early 2000s, when I got interested in the Enfields. I had never had a Brit bike before, and was interested in what a big single was all about, so I started studying about them for a few years before I bought a used one.

After the studying about them, I realized that I would need to rebuild the engine to make it reliable, due to the factory issues that were built into it, and my performance interests got the better of me, and soon I was getting into making modifications. I got in touch with Joe Mondello, and we started doing a cylinder head mod for the Bullet, which turned out very successful for a fast road Bullet. We also  contracted out for some lightweight 87mm bore high compression pistons which are the lightest ones available. And we also do some cams  ground to my specifications. With the Carrillo steel rod and our other necessary bottom end mods, we came up with a package for sale called the Ace Fireball 535. That has been our "bread and butter" Ton-up road package for about the last 7 years.

Not to be letting any moss grow under our feet, we addressed some of the shortcomings of the design, such as the limited cam lobe sweep room holding back the valve lift with the 1:1 rockers, and began to move forward with some higher ratio roller rocker packages, first for the Fury type Big Head, and then later some replacement clamshell style rocker boxes with shaft mounted roller rockers in them, so that the regular Bullet head could have similar advantages as the Big Head had. This worked out very well, and has advanced the Bullet into a performance area which had not really been seen by anyone else outside of Steve Linsdell.

Currently working on a performance billet cylinder head for the new UCE 500 or 535 Continental GT engines, which will feature performance re-design including narrower included valve angles, beehive valve springs, high ratio roller rockers, larger valves, twin spark, compact combustion chamber design with squish area, increased compression ratio, higher inlet and exhaust flow with new optimized ports, all basically aimed at a "bolt on" performance kit that is essentially all contained in the head that we make, so that it presents the easiest possible installation for the novice end user.  This is still in development, but we hope to have it out in about a month.

So basically, I am more of a parts developer, and not a pro racer. But my previous racing and race engine work experience have helped me to do a reasonably good job at what we are doing, and I have help from my friends and resources at the Mondello shop. I am continuing to learn and put the lessons to use as I move along with the products.

As of this time, we are producing the parts for the highest output Royal Enfield Bullet 500/535 bikes that are currently available for sale in the world.
« Last Edit: April 17, 2015, 12:55:10 AM by ace.cafe »

High On Octane

• Grand Gearhead
  • Go Fast & Look Good Doing It
« Reply #287 on: April 17, 2015, 02:10:43 AM »
Aaaahhhhh.  I'm a nobody.  Just a backwoods Wisconsin boy living in the Big City now.  I've never been a man of money and fancy rides, but there hasn't been a single mode of transportation that I've owned that I haven't pushed to its absolute limits.  Anything with wheels has become a competition between me, my brother, and my friends.  Skateboards, BMX bikes, dirt bikes, go carts, sport bikes, street bikes, hot rods, street rods...  It doesn't matter, I ride it fast.  Got my first dirt bike when I was 13 and started turning wrenches.  Rebuilt my 1st carb the same year, built my 1st small block Chevy when I was 18, did my 1st road side tranny swap at 19, the same age I 1st went over 140mph in my 1975 Formula Firebird, 1st did 150mph on a street bike at age 23, did my 1st wheelie in a car in my bosses '66 Chevelle Pro Street at 28.  As I said, I haven't owned anything real special, but I have always been around fast cars and bikes.  And even the stuff that I've owned that was slow I still rode/drove fast. 

In my mid 20's, I stepped away from cars and bikes and started amateur kickboxing.  I was pretty successful with an overall record of 21Wins 9Losses and 3Draws.  About 4 years into it I became such good friends with the promoter/organizer of the fights I started helping with the set up of the ring and started announcing the fights when I wasn't actually fighting.  One night we set up for the pro MMA fights and I was sitting there with the cards of the night as I was keeping time that evening.  A guy bailed out on his fight and was asked if I had my fight gear and if I wanted to fight.  30 minutes later I was in the ring for my 1st professional MMA fight.  I lost as I totally wasn't ready for that type of fighting, but I stuck with it and finished my professional career 1-2.

I don't have a professional racing career, because I'm poor.  But I have plenty of wins on the streets and trails.  I have also been in a few different pit crews for circle track, 1/4 mile and demo derbies.  But my heart is in horsepower, so 10 years ago I started doing auto body and paint.  2 1/2 years into it, I got out of collision work and started building street rods and classic restorations.  Currently, I rebuild wrecked Subarus from auction to pay the bills, and I have a friend that I build hot rods with on the side.  Actually just picked up a '72 440 Charger that we will be starting on next week.  :)

I'm a jack of all trades.  I can build you a room.  I can fix your plumbing.  Do your electrical.  Fix your car or bike or anything else with an engine or wheels.  I'm an excellent cook.  I'm good with math but all my money goes towards toys.  I can knock out a man with a single punch.  My wife says I'm good in bed......  I don't know.  What else do you want to know?  ;D

Oh, I'm also brutally honest and go by "High On Octane" because I love the smell of burning race fuel and also love smoking Colorado's FINEST legal marijuana.   ;)
« Last Edit: April 17, 2015, 02:15:58 AM by High On Octane »
Scottie J  ~  Bulldog Kustoms Denver  ~  1958 Enfield/Indian Trailblazer - The Blackhawk

Chuck D

• Grand Gearhead
« Reply #288 on: April 17, 2015, 11:32:53 AM »
;D

Not that it's immediately relevant to the subject of this thread, but I suspect many of us are now trying to guess the identity of this distinguished former racer. :-X
Racer X?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pITX84KGW48
« Last Edit: April 17, 2015, 11:36:31 AM by Chuck D »
Ace "Fireball 535" (#10)
Ace "GP" head on the shelf and waiting.
Featherbed frame conversion.

High On Octane

• Grand Gearhead
  • Go Fast & Look Good Doing It
« Reply #289 on: April 17, 2015, 12:44:16 PM »
Racer X?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pITX84KGW48

Awesome!  Thanks for posting that, I'll be watching it when I get home. :)
Scottie J  ~  Bulldog Kustoms Denver  ~  1958 Enfield/Indian Trailblazer - The Blackhawk

Bullet Whisperer

• Grand Gearhead
« Reply #290 on: April 17, 2015, 12:46:05 PM »
Looks like I didn't have to wait forever to get this sorted - here are the race results for the 500 last weekend, they are for both groups together, and the specials class on their own:

Bullet Whisperer

• Grand Gearhead
« Reply #291 on: April 17, 2015, 12:46:56 PM »
Here's the second race :

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
« Reply #292 on: April 17, 2015, 02:35:46 PM »
Very pleased to see that the officials came through with the proper results.
As I understand it, this means points in both races for the team!

Congratulations!
 ;D

Please keep us posted about any info that you might feel inclined to share between now and the next race.
Thanks!
Tom

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
« Reply #293 on: April 17, 2015, 06:20:39 PM »
It didn't take much searching to find that this Dave Matravers fellow and his Seeley G50 is a pretty fast cat.

Very interesting to note that in the IOM TT results listed for last year(2014), Dave Matravers finished well ahead of the Linsdell short stroke Bullet too.

Guys, we really are not far off.
I think it is going to surprise some folks this year!
 ;D

Jellyroll

• Bulleteer
« Reply #294 on: April 17, 2015, 06:59:13 PM »
Congratulations on the fine results, fellas! Needless to say we're ALL very proud of you! It's fantastic to have contact with dedicated people who are representing a brand that I own, and although I'll never get mine on the track, in my mind I'm right there with you! Being retired and not rich sucks, but if you fellas need some donation money, I 'd like to see some way to get a T-shirt, hat, or patch proclaiming I'm a team supporter...give it some thought, okay? Actually, I'm so stoked because of yalls effort I'd be proud to be told, "No, sod off ya tosser"!  ;D
Please do keep us informed during the season, and thank you very much for thinking about the rest of us. Cheers, Cheers, I'll buy the Beers! ;D ;D ;D
You Are
What You Do
When It Counts

Veeman

• Neophyte
« Reply #295 on: April 17, 2015, 10:24:24 PM »
It didn't take much searching to find that this Dave Matravers fellow and his Seeley G50 is a pretty fast cat.

Very interesting to note that in the IOM TT results listed for last year(2014), Dave Matravers finished well ahead of the Linsdell short stroke Bullet too.

Guys, we really are not far off.
I think it is going to surprise some folks this year!
 ;D

ACE, at this rate it's you that will be surprised. Olie Linsdell didn't ride the Enfield at the 2014 Classic TT.

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
« Reply #296 on: April 17, 2015, 10:41:08 PM »
ACE, at this rate it's you that will be surprised. Olie Linsdell didn't ride the Enfield at the 2014 Classic TT.

Well, I could be wrong.
I was going off the official IOM TT qualifying times for the 2014 IOM TT, where he was listed on the Flitwick Enfield with timing data.
http://www.iomtt.com/~/media/Files/2014/Downloads/ClassicTT/Practice-Results/Monday18/Classic%20500%20Monday.pdf

Please note the listing of Oliver Linsdell at the 29th position on the list, riding the Flitwick Royal Enfield with a lap of 25:31.237 at 88.705 mph on that day..

So, that is where my info came from, and if I was in error about the official race, then I stand corrected. Just an observation off a timing sheet.

I do understand that he has been involved with a sort of Paton reproduction with a modern Japanese twin cylinder engine in it, or something like that lately.

In any event, we will continue to move forward on our path.

« Last Edit: April 17, 2015, 11:42:55 PM by ace.cafe »

Bill Harris

• Trail Rider
  • Grease Monkey
« Reply #297 on: Today at 01:08:41 AM »
Veeman,

Lighten up man.  Don't be such a killjoy.  Show a little love.  We're doing the best we can and just having fun here.  Join us in a nice way and enjoy the fun.  I think you'll like it. ;)

Royal Enfield people are good people

Cheers,
Bill Harris

Chuck D

• Grand Gearhead
« Reply #298 on: Today at 05:02:35 AM »
Veeman,

Lighten up man.  Don't be such a killjoy.  Show a little love.  We're doing the best we can and just having fun here.  Join us in a nice way and enjoy the fun.  I think you'll like it. ;)

Royal Enfield people are good people

Cheers,
Bill Harris
Really.

Go BW and ACE!! 8) 8) 8)
And I'll take a T shirt in medium please. ;D
Ace "Fireball 535" (#10)
Ace "GP" head on the shelf and waiting.
Featherbed frame conversion.

Bullet Whisperer

• Grand Gearhead
« Reply #299 on: Today at 07:47:02 AM »
No, it was Ian Lougher riding it, that's why and he got a lap of 107 MPH. I knew that and I bet you did too. It was and is a remarkable achievement, but this sort of info and negative shit like we are seeing here just makes me want to try harder, not give up and go away. I will be keeping at it, no matter what.  >:(
I hope that is the kind of reaction you were looking for and you got what you wanted from it.
 B.W. AKA Paul Henshaw, in case you didn't already know.
« Last Edit: Today at 07:52:46 AM by Bullet Whisperer »