HPRE

Menu

Members Rides

Himalayas Ladakh

in
Members Rides

55 Guests, 4 Users (1 Hidden)
solg, p144, rocksinpockets
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
October 25, 2014, 12:04:16 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Just bought a iron barrel bullet need advice  (Read 322 times)

Bigdog

• Neophyte
Just bought a iron barrel bullet need advice
« on: October 18, 2014, 11:01:57 PM »
I just bought a very nice 1996 Enfield bullet. The bike was a show piece for a few years in a local restaurant the bike has less than 3K miles on it  starts and runs great. Anyhow, I want to change the seat to a solo seat and put saddle bags on it.  Where can I find seat bag sets?  A few years back I was going to buy an enfield but did not. Back then there were numerous places to buy seat and bag sets. Any ideas?  I was also thinking of upgrading to electronic ignition any thoughts?

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
  • World leaders in racing or performance Bullets
Re: Just bought a iron barrel bullet need advice
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2014, 11:20:33 PM »
NField Gear has everything.
Home of the ACE Fireball 535 Bullet,  Ace GP Hi-Lift Roller Rocker Head . Pistons, cams, etc. Highest performance Bullet engine mods available .  AVL mods. Redditch 700/750 Twin mods. UCE kit soon.

Please visit my new website:
http://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/AcePerformanceBullets/info

Mike_D

• Bulleteer
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2014, 04:04:59 AM »
I have a black Le Pera solo sprung seat in great condition that I would like to part with, PM me if interested.

You can find bags anywhere, many will work, much depends on what you are looking for.

Yep, you want electric ignition if you can afford it.  Boyer Mark IV.

GreenMachine

• Grand Gearhead
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2014, 03:13:35 PM »
Sounds like a good find and it was stored properly....I'm assuming it's a 4 speed..I still have the points in my 06 iron and I haven't encountered any problems with them..I brought a spare set from our sponsor years ago with the intention of replacing them at the 10k mark but after careful inspection, it was like -  why...My bike sat for 2 weeks and just yesterday it fired up on 1 kick..Go figure, I must have the timing set perfectly and/or these crisp fall days do wonder for the fuel/air ratio...I'm assuming u inspected or replaced most of the fluids?  If it running spot on then go ahead and ride and decorate it as u wish...The fellows who have done the ignition upgrade seem to be pleased with their results too..Keep in mind,  bikes with a passive points/condenser will fired up with a weak battery vice the active electronic systems that require a top off one...GM
Oh Magoo you done it again

guss,guss

• Bulleteer
« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2014, 07:48:14 PM »
 electronic ignition doesn't really have any advantage unless you just don't like setting points. but they don't need to be set very often.
 when you need cables get on the phone with Nfield gear. a sales person is more help then the website. and get the upgrade cable for a few more dollars. its worth the difference in price.
 i bought a brake cable from one of those places in India once, just once. 

i think i am, therefore, i must be.

Kevin Mahoney

• Administrator
  • Grand Gearhead
« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2014, 01:24:18 PM »
As a followup please do give us a call at NField Gear 800-201-7472
Our website is good for accessories but there are so many OEM parts
and so many changes from VIN to VIN that we do not put them online.
We prefer calls for OEM parts that are not online so we can get you
the right part which may not always be obvious

neil

• Bulleteer
  • Neil & Buzzy the Bullet
« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2014, 04:32:08 PM »
Hey Big Dog:
Congratulations on your Enfield purchase. If you are like the rest of us, you'll really enjoy it. The change to a solo seat is both good for comfort while riding and it makes the bike a lot more attractive. I installed the least expensive electronic ignition to avoid having to set points and deal with timing. It was a bit of a challenge getting the wiring right but I have not regretted it. You can get it as a kit from Enfield Gear, which includes a new Bosch Coil which will give a great spark to assist 1st kick starting. Enjoy your ride and ride safely.

Neil and Buzzy the Bullet.

Bigdog

• Neophyte
« Reply #7 on: October 21, 2014, 11:53:41 PM »
Thanks for the advice  I hopefully pick up the bike this weekend  planning on getting saddle bags, solo seat and electronic ignition  pretty excited about the whole thing

suitcasejefferson

• Grease Monkey
« Reply #8 on: October 24, 2014, 11:23:27 PM »
Congratulations on the new bike. If it were me, I'd keep the points. Not only are they authentic, and require very little maintenance, but they are easy to work on, just about anywhere. I remember having to clean and regap the points on my '66 Bonneville on the side of the road a couple of times. I would assume the Enfield's system is much better. I personally don't like the presents of electronic bits (especially digital) on a motorcycle. I have a UCE I'm going to convert to a carb. I'd go with points as well, but it's not possible.

I really wanted an Enfield back before the UCE, but was unable to make it happen. I wanted it for a lot of reasons. It's looks, sound, and feel, the fact that it really was basically a real vintage bike, even if it was being made in India, and the fact that it had no electronics or emissions crap on it. The last thing I wanted to do was modernize it. I'm trying to demodernize my UCE. Yes, I'm a vintage vehicle enthusiast. And when it comes to motorcycles, old British bikes are by far my favorites.

Whichever way you decide to go, I hope you enjoy your Enfield. They are wonderful bikes that can take you back to another time. Out in the country you can really feel like you are in the '50s, until you pass a modern car or bike.
I am a motorcyclist, NOT a biker.
2013 Royal Enfield B5
2002 Kawasaki Vulcan 750
2001 Yamaha XT225
2012 Yamaha Zuma 125
2009 Genuine Stella 2 stroke
1980 Puch Maxi ZA50 2 speed
1971 VeloSolex S3800