HPRE

Menu

Members Rides

G5 Classic

in
Members Rides

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
October 31, 2014, 03:58:06 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Bought 2001 BULLET 500cc and having some ignition issues  (Read 86 times)

lonsomecrow

• Neophyte
Bought 2001 BULLET 500cc and having some ignition issues
« on: October 30, 2014, 07:55:23 PM »
Hi All,

I'm so glad to fins this forum. Last weekend I bought 2001 Bullet 500cc.
Today I had an issue as I left my motorcycle outside, Iam not sure if the battery is dead but when I turn on the key, I do not see any lights (odometer, turn lights , horn etc). Is it possible the battery is dead or something is wrong with the ignition switch? How do I differentiate? Or can anyone poiint me some links to fix ignition switches as there are no mechanics around my place

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
  • World leaders in racing or performance Bullets
Re: Bought 2001 BULLET 500cc and having some ignition issues
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2014, 08:09:28 PM »
You probably need to get a multimeter to do electrical testing. They don't cost much, and are very useful.
A 12v test light is a little cheaper, and can tell you if you have some kind of power at the probe location, but not how much.

If you have over 12.8v at the battery, it's probably okay.
And check your fuses.
Home of the ACE Fireball 535 Bullet,  Ace GP Hi-Lift Roller Rocker Head . Pistons, cams, etc. Highest performance Bullet engine mods available .  AVL mods. Redditch 700/750 Twin mods. UCE kit soon.

Please visit my new website:
http://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/AcePerformanceBullets/info

lonsomecrow

• Neophyte
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2014, 08:11:40 PM »
Thanks, can you suggest high performance battery for this model that I can replace?

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2014, 08:18:31 PM »
Thanks, can you suggest high performance battery for this model that I can replace?

Is it electric start or kickstart, or kick start only?
Home of the ACE Fireball 535 Bullet,  Ace GP Hi-Lift Roller Rocker Head . Pistons, cams, etc. Highest performance Bullet engine mods available .  AVL mods. Redditch 700/750 Twin mods. UCE kit soon.

lonsomecrow

• Neophyte
« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2014, 08:43:04 PM »
It's a kickstart only! How do I know i there is an issue with ignition switch?

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2014, 09:04:16 PM »
You need to trace out the circuits with a multimeter or a test light.
Probably more likely to be a fuse or bad connection. Check/clean the battery terminals.

Regarding the battery, I think the kickstart models use a 5 amp or 4 amp battery. If you need a new one, bring it to the parts store with you, so rhey can match it up.
An AGM type battery is good.
« Last Edit: October 30, 2014, 09:06:43 PM by ace.cafe »

Adrian II

• Scooter
  • No Personal Text Yet
« Reply #6 on: Today at 01:32:47 AM »
You should get parking and tail lights even though the headlamp itself is powered directly from the alternator and is not connected to the battery. Assuming all fuses, earth connections and terminals are OK, it might be a break in the wiring between the battery and the ammeter somewhere around the steering stem, this happened on my '05 Electra as the wiring loom was starting to get a bit old and brittle, and this is one area where it's subject to frequent flexing. Try running a wire directly from the battery to the ammeter and see if that restores power.

If it is the ignition switch, rather than try and repair the it, it's probably easier just to plug in a new one, though that will leave you messing around with different keys on the bike, unless you buy a completely new common key/lock set (actually not very expensive).

Hope this helps.

Regards,

A.

lonsomecrow

• Neophyte
« Reply #7 on: Today at 01:59:44 PM »
Thanks all,

I think its the battery because when I turn the key on lights do come up for 10 seconds and sometime motorcycle even starts and it turns off and all the lights turn off too and after that turning key on won't turn on any lights.

Also I am thinking of buying some accessories, goldstar exhaust and other parts which is is the best p[lace to order online?

I live in New York City, NY does any one know any good place in NY for enfields