HPRE

Menu

Members Rides

Final Config (maybe)

in
Members Rides

65 Guests, 3 Users
Arizoni, REpozer, rvcycleguy
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
November 25, 2014, 01:45:32 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: run away idle! help! 2009 bullet classic 500 cc  (Read 51 times)

Jharrison58

• Neophyte
run away idle! help! 2009 bullet classic 500 cc
« on: November 24, 2014, 04:26:58 PM »
last month I was out for a ride when out of nowhere the engine started running at full throttle, I shut it down immediately. I took off the carb Markab v28 and cleaned it, checked the jets and confirmed the throttle barrel was working and not sticking. I checked the throttle cable by rotating the throttle handle and it was raising and lowering the barrel after I reinstalled the carb, it's fine, I guess. When I start the bike the engine goes to full throttle, the handlebar has no effect. I've tried the idle screw, it has no effect either way, the engine just screams. I'm a newbie with this engine without much mechanic experience so any help would be appreciated.

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
  • World leaders in racing or performance Bullets
Re: run away idle! help! 2009 bullet classic 500 cc
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2014, 04:35:01 PM »
Take a look down into the mouth of the carb, and see if the throttle slide actually comes all the way down to the bottom.
The slide can be installed the wrong way around, and then it won't come all the way down, causing the bike to rev. It feels like it comes down, and it makes a click, but it is hitting the keyway pin that is supposed to be in the slide groove on the other side.
This is the most likely thing.
« Last Edit: November 24, 2014, 04:55:52 PM by ace.cafe »
Home of the ACE Fireball 535 Bullet,  Ace GP Hi-Lift Roller Rocker Head . Pistons, cams, etc. Highest performance Bullet engine mods available .  AVL mods. Redditch 700/750 Twin mods. UCE kit soon.

Please visit my new website:
http://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/AcePerformanceBullets/info

dginfw

• Grease Monkey
« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2014, 09:37:51 PM »
On my stock carb, the slide would stick in the top postion if the top collar was screwed on too tight. If I loosened it about half a turn, the slide would drop down and the throttle worked fine.  Just an odd thing on mine, but its easy to check
Dave in TX:   '01  W650
                    '14 Continental GT
                    '06 Iron Barrel Bullet

ERC

• Grand Gearhead
« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2014, 10:58:14 PM »
I've had them stick open. Take the slide out and spray it with silicone it'll last for awhile. ERC
2-57 Apaches, 2-57 Trailblazers, 60 Chief, 65 Interceptor, 2004 Bullet, 612 Bullet chopped.

cafeman

• Grease Monkey
« Reply #4 on: Today at 12:22:03 AM »
Check the inner throttle cable at both ends to ensure no frayed wires. Might not be the problem but frayed inner cable wires can bunch up and hang-up in the cable sheath, all the while doing so intermittently and rear its head when you least expect it. I had this happen while going about 50 mph while coming up to a stop light recently which gave me a thrill for sure, but was able kill the engine, pull in the clutch and coast to the side of the road, free things up and baby her back home for a proper fix.