HPRE

Menu

Members Rides

2006 Classic

in
Members Rides

50 Guests, 3 Users
gizzo, medioXcore, KommMaster
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
August 27, 2014, 09:13:28 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Gell Batteries - alert !  (Read 44 times)

neil

• Bulleteer
  • Neil & Buzzy the Bullet
Gell Batteries - alert !
« on: August 26, 2014, 09:54:47 PM »
Hi All:
I have removed all things E/S, including the heavy OEM Lead Acid Battery from my bike, Buzzy. Instead I now use a small gell battery which is neatly tucked into my right hand tool box. Benefits are a see through mid section for the bike and about 25 lbs less weight on the bike. However, the gell battery does not have the same reserve storage capacity as the OEM lead acid battery it replaced.

Result, I accidently left the ignition key on for a period of time and when it came to kicking Buzzy into life, it was a nogo ! I was on the road and taking a break and when I could not get Buzzy Fired up, I had to call for my son to get me in my trusty Ram Truck and utility trailer. Very embarrassing to say the least. If I can't charge up the gell battery, I'll be looking for another that is the same size and weight but with better storage capacity.  Gells have many benefits but also some short comings.

Neil and Buzzy the Bullet

ERC

• Grand Gearhead
Re: Gell Batteries - alert !
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2014, 10:49:15 PM »
I think you'll find any battery will lose voltage with the key left on. More amp rating won't make it last any longer. ERC
2-57 Apaches, 2-57 Trailblazers, 60 Chief, 65 Interceptor, 2004 Bullet, 612 Bullet chopped.

Mr.Mazza

• Grease Monkey
  • Upside down thumping
Re: Gell Batteries - alert !
« Reply #2 on: Today at 03:21:42 AM »
Just be thankful the battery died before your coil exploded.
Just dont leave the igniton off, if you shutdown the engine properly you canneigh forget.
Turn key to off while opening decomp, kills spark and compression and lets the engine slowly stop not hit a compression stage and go backwards.
Lizzy - 07 500 Deluxe ES - Red and chrome