HPRE

Menu

Members Rides

My Woodie

in
Members Rides

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
January 25, 2015, 06:28:31 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Are crankshaft fixtures available?  (Read 32 times)

dmerc

• Neophyte
Are crankshaft fixtures available?
« on: Today at 03:34:44 PM »
Just wondering if I need to fix the crank. Are these fixtures available? Is there a work around if you don't have one. I have all the other tools, press, indicators etc.

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
  • World leaders in racing or performance Bullets
Re: Are crankshaft fixtures available?
« Reply #1 on: Today at 03:38:30 PM »
There are no fixtures. You can use vee blocks or a lathe, and dial indicators, along with skill and experience.
You will need to fix the crank if you plan any upgrade. The rod and big end bearing always need to be replaced, and the crank reassembled and trued properly on all Iron Barrel Bullets.

There are shops,such as us, and our hosts, who offer rebuild services and the appropriate parts. This takes some of the technical work off the home builder.
« Last Edit: Today at 03:45:26 PM by ace.cafe »

dmerc

• Neophyte
« Reply #2 on: Today at 03:48:07 PM »
I do have an old 10 inch south bend lathe. I didn't think about that. The point is to assemble the thing with no runout?

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
  • World leaders in racing or performance Bullets
« Reply #3 on: Today at 03:55:12 PM »
I do have an old 10 inch south bend lathe. I didn't think about that. The point is to assemble the thing with no runout?
As close to no runout as you can get.

Bullet Whisperer

• Grand Gearhead
« Reply #4 on: Today at 06:22:43 PM »
In the back section of one of my Redditch Bullet manuals, are descriptions and illustrations of the special tools which were available for these engines and one of them was a 'pot', a close fitting and deep circular tool made from heavy gauge metal. The purpose being to use it as a guide for flywheel alignment on reassembly of the crankshaft, although I have not seen one in 'real life'
 B.W.