HPRE

Menu

Members Rides

Salt Flats

in
Members Rides

53 Guests, 2 Users
solg, Grant Borden
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
October 26, 2014, 03:46:46 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: How to Kick-Start a Royal Enfield  (Read 25278 times)

jagjot

• Neophyte
Re: How to Kick-Start a Royal Enfield
« Reply #15 on: October 11, 2007, 10:24:36 PM »
I always use this method and it works everytime..
........I have 1997 Machismo..In winters, to start my "BULL" I turn on the Ignition, press compressor and simultaneously kick 5-6 times continuously(remember to hold the compressor release pulley ), after that kick the bike slowly to the end without accelerator....you will hear a sound of little throttle...then try it again ...the bike will be start...

> after the bike start don't give the acceleration immediately(let it start for approx 15 - 20 secs.)
> in winters 1 of the major reason for starting problem is BATTERY...please make sure the battery will be in good condition if you are expecting good performance from your BULL.

> The most important thing that wenever you are trying to start your BULL you should have patience...BULL never start if you try to start BULL in hurry

BULLET ROCKS...!!!!!

the_roadking

• Neophyte
« Reply #16 on: March 18, 2008, 07:15:20 PM »
Is it the same procedure for the electrical and kick start models?

acosprey

• Neophyte
« Reply #17 on: October 30, 2009, 11:17:53 AM »
My enfield arrived yesterday - kickstart only on a 500 trials. Many thanks for this advice - Was struggling yesterday. Today took your advice exactly and I started from cold in 2 kicks. Brilliant. Thank you.

birdmove

• Grand Gearhead
« Reply #18 on: October 30, 2009, 10:03:38 PM »
   Yep, this is am excellant technique. On my 2007 Classic iron, I usually only give it one pre-start kick with the key off, teh turn it over a bit more to find TDC, and it almost always fire with one kick after that.

jon
Jon in Keaau, Hawaii

ScooterBob

• Grand Gearhead
  • Yeah - I get it ....
« Reply #19 on: October 31, 2009, 10:33:55 PM »
What I want to know is where in the Wide, Wide World of Sports was all this good advice when I was 15 and faced with a BSA single that more compression than a Lantz BullDog Diesel tractor? I learned the HARD way about gettin' 'em wet and finding TDC, as well as swattin' one like you HAD a pair .... As with anything of English origin, the Bullet is all about HOW you kick - not how MUCH you kick. That old BSA knocked the heel off the best pair of boots that I ever had and kept me crippled for weeks before I figgered out the ways of demon combustion ..... Heeheehee!!
Spare the pig iron - spoil the part!

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
  • World leaders in racing or performance Bullets
« Reply #20 on: November 03, 2009, 01:36:14 AM »
Take a look at this technique, folks.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QFEbXSw5MLU
Home of the ACE Fireball 535 Bullet,  Ace GP Hi-Lift Roller Rocker Head . Pistons, cams, etc. Highest performance Bullet engine mods available .  AVL mods. Redditch 700/750 Twin mods. UCE kit soon.

Please visit my new website:
http://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/AcePerformanceBullets/info

ScooterBob

• Grand Gearhead
  • Yeah - I get it ....
« Reply #21 on: November 03, 2009, 01:32:48 PM »
I like THIS one .........  ::)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1DyomNiMkl4
Spare the pig iron - spoil the part!

Spitting Bull

• Grand Gearhead
« Reply #22 on: November 10, 2009, 10:49:55 PM »
I go for this one.... Choke on, one kick, choke off, ride away!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kOv8LBlLF3Q
One cylinder is enough for anyone.

pneumatician

• Neophyte
« Reply #23 on: May 28, 2010, 08:11:58 AM »
Being new to the community these small snippets really take me back.
In the mid 60's I used to own a Velocette Venom Clubmans and race prepare a Goldstar.   Hunter riding boots in those days had a steel insole this became progressively bent as it took the form of the kickstart.
I have been " kicked back" by both bikes when I haven't concentrated.

My uncle used to sell Velo's and claimed no lock was necessary as the only person who could start and steal a Velo was another Velo owner and we wouldn't do that would we.

After years of Jap and BMW  bike ownership I am back to basics with an 07 Electra.
Chance to get the spanners out frequently.

Steve

bullethead63

• Grand Gearhead
  • "Run what ya brung..." Paul Saint Clair
« Reply #24 on: May 30, 2010, 02:24:19 PM »
My 1999 Bullet Deluxe starts first kick...turn on the fuel,turn on the ignition,roll the kicker just past TDC,one swift kick,and putt-putt-putt... ;D...honestly,I think that there must be something wrong with it...my 2000?If she doesn't start in the first three kicks,give it up,and ride something else...stupid Amal carb...
1959 Royal Enfield/Indian Chief 700~(RED)~1999 Bullet Deluxe 500 KS~(BLUE)~2000  Bullet Classic 500 KS~(WHITE)~2002 Bullet Classic 500 ES~(GREEN)~Ride-Wrench-Repeat~your results may vary~void where prohibited by law~batteries not included~some restrictions may apply~subject to change without notice~

birdmove

• Grand Gearhead
« Reply #25 on: May 30, 2010, 07:41:26 PM »
    After replacing my points and setting the timing on my 2007, it's not always a one kick starter cold anymore. But it runs so well and idles strong, plus the gas mileage went up to high 70s and mid eigthies, so I'm going to run it. It's not too lean either, as overheating has never been a problem. Yesterday it fired up with no choke (after trying to give it full choke for a few kicks). Mileage is at about 3300 right now.

jon
Jon in Keaau, Hawaii

Ice

• Hypercafienated
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Ride In Paradise Cabo, Don and Ernie
« Reply #26 on: June 23, 2010, 09:43:20 AM »
 Parking the engine at just a tad past TDC  staves off wet sumping and gives the flywheels a full revolution to build inertia before spark occurs.

Makes you look cool when it fires right off  ;D
( also saves wear and tear on the knee or E start )
I can break it better,,,,at night, in the rain, on the trail,, 20 miles from nowhere.

REA #136

"TIMEX", the '06 Iron Barrel Military that takes me everywhere I want to go... and some places I shouldn't.

bullethead63

• Grand Gearhead
  • "Run what ya brung..." Paul Saint Clair
« Reply #27 on: June 30, 2010, 02:38:13 PM »
Since I've been riding my '99 KS only,I've been kicking my '02,just for continuity/consistency,instead of using the electric starter...I think that she likes it!
1959 Royal Enfield/Indian Chief 700~(RED)~1999 Bullet Deluxe 500 KS~(BLUE)~2000  Bullet Classic 500 KS~(WHITE)~2002 Bullet Classic 500 ES~(GREEN)~Ride-Wrench-Repeat~your results may vary~void where prohibited by law~batteries not included~some restrictions may apply~subject to change without notice~