HPRE

Menu

Members Rides

Harris Scrambler

in
Members Rides

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
August 01, 2014, 12:07:13 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: What Bulb # For Bullet Turn Signals?  (Read 736 times)

jdrouin

• Grand Gearhead
What Bulb # For Bullet Turn Signals?
« on: April 29, 2010, 05:08:53 PM »
Been to Pep Boys and the Camrods Motorcycle shop and neither had an appropriate replacement bulb for my Bullet turn signal. I know I need a 12V 12W bulb, but not sure what the base number is. Anybody know?

I also have a blown marker light, and it's really hard to find the tiny 12V 2W bulbs for that.

Jeff

jdrouin

• Grand Gearhead
Re: What Bulb # For Bullet Turn Signals?
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2010, 07:40:18 PM »

singhg5

• Grand Gearhead
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2010, 07:43:54 PM »
Been to Pep Boys and the Camrods Motorcycle shop and neither had an appropriate replacement bulb for my Bullet turn signal. I know I need a 12V 12W bulb, but not sure what the base number is. Anybody know?

I also have a blown marker light, and it's really hard to find the tiny 12V 2W bulbs for that.

Jeff

Hello Jeff:

I have a post in the Forum on light bulbs for my G5.  What bike do you have ?  I think these might fit yours too because RE does not like to change things too much.  Don't worry too much about watts.  e.g., use of 3 watts instead of 2 watts in indicator bulbs does not cause any problem.  I use it.  

I can get these bulbs from a BMW or Honda motorcycle dealers.  Here is the link -

http://www.enfieldmotorcycles.com/forum/index.php/topic,6854.0.html

Pilot lamp = Osram 3894, BA9S, 12V, 3W

Tail / Brake lamp = Osram 7528, 12V, 21/5W, Offset pins, Bay 15D

Speedometer lamp = Osram 3893, 12V, 4W, BA9S

Turn signal = Osram 5008, 12V, 10W, BA15S

Neutral indicator = Osram 3796, 12V, 2W, BA9S

Just compare that your bike's original bulbs are not very different from my G5.

« Last Edit: April 29, 2010, 07:53:09 PM by singhg5 »
1970's Jawa /  Yezdi
2006 Honda Nighthawk
2009 Royal Enfield Black G5

jdrouin

• Grand Gearhead
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2010, 07:50:34 PM »
Hi singhg5, thanks for the link.

I was wondering about the wattage, because there were some bulbs at PepBoys rated at 12.8V and 8W or 12W. I wasn't sure if the higher voltage rating would burn out my new 12V flash unit, and I didn't want to find out by trial and error.

There were bulbs rated at 13V and 14V too. I imagine these would not work, but maybe I'm wrong?

In searching the web for some bulbs, I did come across a number of them in the range I need for BMWs, so maybe I'll stop by that dealer on my way home.

Jeff

singhg5

• Grand Gearhead
« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2010, 08:02:20 PM »
I prefer to use same Voltage bulb.  A slightly higher voltage bulb may also work as long as the base size BA9 and BA15 etc. and pin location matches without any problem.  But higher wattage bulbs consume more energy / battery power, so I stay as close as possible to the original. 
1970's Jawa /  Yezdi
2006 Honda Nighthawk
2009 Royal Enfield Black G5

Ice

• Hypercafienated
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Ride In Paradise Cabo, Don and Ernie
« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2010, 08:29:44 PM »
jdrouin, 12V is a misleading but recognized standard term.

Some light bulbs service life and brightness numbers are measured in the testing lab at battery voltage of 12.00 volts.
 Measurements may be again be made at alternator AVG. minimum output 12.8 V and/or again at max alternator output 113.8-14.2 V ( depends on the alternator design ).

The factory will usually be list the specs per the customers requirements.

It is confusing for the rest of us.  I could go on for 5 or 6 pages about Volts, Watts, Amps, Candlepower,Lumens and MSCD. but don't want to bore you to death with a dry technical treatise.

I like the O.E.M. bulbs that  RE uses in our bikes just fine. I picked up a few spares from my RE dealer.

Br. Singh5 's suggestion should serve well  those of us not lucky enough to have a dealer nearby .

I've not had reason to check lately but Osram and Philips were always top quality product from the begining.
 In light bulbs I  look for quality indicating features like oblong contacts, nickle plated bases and symmetry in the glass globe..  Avoid cheap and junk.
I can break it better,,,,at night, in the rain, on the trail,, 20 miles from nowhere.

REA #136

"TIMEX", the '06 Iron Barrel Military that takes me everywhere I want to go... and some places I shouldn't.

bullethead63

• Grand Gearhead
  • "Run what ya brung..." Paul Saint Clair
« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2010, 03:16:45 AM »
I've had good luck with Sylvania # 89 bulbs for my stock turn signals,and Sylvania #53 bulbs for the indicator lights in my Headlight casquette..both are a vast improvement over the crappy stock Indian bulbs...you can get them at ANY auto parts store,not just a motorcycle shop,and at about $3.49 a pair,I'd consider them a bargain...I keep some spares in my electrical box,along with some 20 amp fuses, zip ties,electrical tape,a small LED flashlight,and a spare NEW sparkplug...I'll be adding some spare dual element tail-light bulbs,as well,and a replacement Halogen bulb,for my 7" headlight...all wrapped carefully and individually,and in a bag,so they're not rattling around...
1959 Royal Enfield/Indian Chief 700~(RED)~1999 Bullet Deluxe 500 KS~(BLUE)~2000  Bullet Classic 500 KS~(WHITE)~2002 Bullet Classic 500 ES~(GREEN)~Ride-Wrench-Repeat~your results may vary~void where prohibited by law~batteries not included~some restrictions may apply~subject to change without notice~