HPRE

Menu

Members Rides

Cold Kiwi rally Sept 2010

in
Members Rides

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 28, 2015, 09:18:47 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Long distance riding in a pack  (Read 497 times)

AmBraCol

• Scooter
  • Rebelling Against The Rebels
Re: Long distance riding in a pack
« Reply #15 on: May 01, 2015, 06:27:43 PM »
Alright everyone!
https://picasaweb.google.com/m/viewer#albumlist/107715400847902261095

Go check out 200+ photos of the ride, plenty of me in the start on a friends Black and Chrome G5.

That link just takes me to my own photos...
Paul

mattsz

• Grand Gearhead
  • moto-gurdyist
« Reply #16 on: May 02, 2015, 04:57:00 AM »
Me too...

Mr.Mazza

• Grand Gearhead
  • Upside down thumping
« Reply #17 on: May 02, 2015, 05:28:42 PM »
Alright go here http://www.the59club.org.au and click on gallery to find them.
it wont let me download any :/
Lizzy - 07 500 Deluxe ES - Red and chrome

Arizoni

• Grand Gearhead
  • "But it's a dry heat here in Arizona
« Reply #18 on: May 02, 2015, 05:57:13 PM »
Looks like you all had a great time. :)
Jim
2011 G5 Deluxe
1999 Miata 10th Anniversary

High On Octane

• Grand Gearhead
  • Go Fast & Look Good Doing It
« Reply #19 on: May 02, 2015, 06:12:04 PM »
Looks like everyone had a great time!  Lots of smiles and good pics.  Thanks for sharing Mazza!  :)
Scottie J  ~  Bulldog Kustoms Denver  ~  1958 Enfield/Indian Trailblazer - The Blackhawk

Mr.Mazza

• Grand Gearhead
  • Upside down thumping
« Reply #20 on: May 02, 2015, 11:21:00 PM »
Looks like everyone had a great time!  Lots of smiles and good pics.  Thanks for sharing Mazza!  :)

Can you all find me?
Here's a quick write up on the journey: Follow the story with the pictures, I'm sure you'll figure it out.
We all met Friday morning in Yarra Glen, that's the start of the photos.
After coffee and breakfast we saddled up and left for the first stop, Seymour, which was around 98 kilometers, so it took a little over an hour on high speed country roads.
The weather on the way was drizzly, cold and no sun, wasn't a good sign for the trip.

After a quick shake down stop we set off for Albury, the border town between Victoria and New South Wales. Another 216 kilometres, we stopped once for a smoke break so it took two and a half hours, this section was up the Hume Highway, a 3-4 lane expressway, 110kph people everywhere, we stayed as a pack to ward of idiot cagers, this was where the Enfield didn't shine too well. Vibrations and high rpm cruising numbed my hands after awhile.

Once we got to Albury we had lunch at Hungry Jacks (Burger King for you yanks) for a good hour, this was where I was told 'My rear wheel is wandering side to side,' I brushed this off as white line fever.

Once again we saddled up, to head to our overnighter in Junee, 164km away and with one stop it took two and a half hours. These roads we straight but decently smooth, one way each way 100kph and beautiful lowland plains everywhere you looked.

We got to Junee by around 4pm, parked up in a Caravan park, some stayed in shared cabins, others and myself pitched swags and unloaded the bikes, basic check overs and I got a trusty shifter and checked every bolt! Only one slightly loose, a seat mounting nut.
After an hour a small bus picked us up to take us...To the Red Cow Hotel!

First time I've ever had a bus sent to pick up patrons for a Bar, but the owner set this up with the local police in an effort to cut drink driving and it works! Anyway I disgress, at the Bar we had our own decked out function room, band (One man) indoor fire, cheap drinks and food all round, plenty of locals interested.

After a night of partying and drinking I woke up first, it was 0 degrees Celsius, so cold...really, really cold for a man outside. A quick half nudie run to the shower block warmed me up!

We all assembled in town for breakfast and coffee, then set off for Tommingley, this was 318km, and with stops in West Walong and Parkes it took just over 4 hours. The roads we the same since the crossed the border but some nice sweeping bends towards Tomingley.

We arrived at the hotel to find the Queensland chapter had beat us there, well half of them anyways. A broken down support car delayed half of their pack, with their President ordering half to stay until another vehicle came, as the man in it had a broken leg and half meet with us.

Now Tomingley is a tiny, tiny town. All there was is a; Petrol station, the Bar, the hotel and a big gravel carpark that's used as a Truck overnight halt.
After we had dinner we all got into the booze, after a few hours the rest of the Queenslanders arrived. They couldn't get another car to follow so the grabbed the man with the broken leg, put his crutches on one bike, and him on the other and pressed on...what a trooper!  :o

After that night we all awoke to a lovely bacon and egg handover cure by the hotel owners,, they said our goodbyes and left, some of us went north and some went east, I went south toward home with about a dozen others, with the plan of Junee again that night, then via Ned Kelly country to cross the border back into Victoria, then Shepparton and through the Strathbogie ranges (We were all sick of straight lines) to get back into the Yarra Valley.

That night in Junee several guys said they all saw my rear wheel wandering, so I put her on the centre stand, grabbed the rear wheel and...shit. Half an inch of play, looked like the left hand inner race had worn allowed play. With no other option on getting home, and the fact it's been like this since before the ride, I chose to press on, simply checking it every stop, and it held together the whole way home!

That morning we all left and chugged on home, after a lovely lunch in Jerilderie and a few hours, we were getting closer to the Ranges and that meant home. Just before we hit the twistys we passed a small grassfire, with a brand new Toyota Prada next to it, a befuffled owner and a trailer missing a wheel...I think you can all guess what happened! After we yelled for him to move his car and call the Fire Brigade we set back off.

The weather was perfect the whole way expect Friday morning, I got home late Monday night, exhausted, relived the bearing held, and humbled by the whole experience.

Attatched is a map of the total journey.
« Last Edit: May 02, 2015, 11:31:32 PM by Mr.Mazza »
Lizzy - 07 500 Deluxe ES - Red and chrome

High On Octane

• Grand Gearhead
  • Go Fast & Look Good Doing It
« Reply #21 on: May 03, 2015, 08:19:05 AM »

Can you all find me?........

........After a night of partying and drinking I woke up first, it was 0 degrees Celsius, so cold...really, really cold for a man outside. A quick half nudie run to the shower block warmed me up!........

I know which one you are!  But only because we're friends on Facebook.  ;)

A half nudie run!   LOL   Imagine how I felt camping in the mountains in late October waking up to pee at 20*F.    ;D
Scottie J  ~  Bulldog Kustoms Denver  ~  1958 Enfield/Indian Trailblazer - The Blackhawk

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
  • World leaders in performance/racing Bullets
« Reply #22 on: May 03, 2015, 08:23:04 AM »
Sounds like a fun trip!
All these things like showering in the cold make for great fun when you are telling the story. It is part of a fun time, even if you shiver when you are doing it.
 :)

heloego

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2012 Royal Maroon C5 Special
« Reply #23 on: May 04, 2015, 12:00:44 AM »
Nice read, Mr.Mazza, and a fun ride! Thanks for sharing.  :D
I distinctly remember the first time I bathed in a Montana Rocky Mountain creek. G**Damn COLD!  :o
Somehow managed it though.  ???
Rather than have a homeless person for the holidays, I decided to stick with ham.