HPRE

Menu

Members Rides

Red C5

in
Members Rides

55 Guests, 2 Users
crock, Scotty Brown
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
December 20, 2014, 07:24:50 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Steve McQueen  (Read 198 times)

motorman2whel

• Grease Monkey
Steve McQueen
« on: November 14, 2014, 08:38:26 PM »
Most of you US riders over 40 know Steve McQueen was a avid rider & racer. Did you know John Wayne loved bikes too? :D . Top is a Hodaka Wombat 125, Bottom is a modified for camera work SL350 Honda.

AstroGT

• Neophyte
Re: Steve McQueen
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2014, 12:25:18 AM »
I remember seeing McQueen in some home movies (I think) riding some early MX bikes with friends. The pummeling those guys took on those bikes with almost no suspension travel was shocking.

barenekd

• Grand Gearhead
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2014, 12:07:38 AM »
The pummeling those guys took on those bikes with almost no suspension travel was shocking.

I don't ever remember anyone ever complaining about any "Pummeling." Shoulda seen the days when rigid frames were all there was! We rode what we had. Worked for us! We obviously didn't go as fast as the new bikes, but it w as fast as anyone else! Take a trip out in the dirt with your Enfield and you'll pretty much see what the best of the day was. Pummeling? Bah Humbug. Damn P*****s!
Bare
2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Racer
2011 Black Classic G5 (RIP)
I refuse to tiptoe through life only to arrive safely at death
http://www.controllineplans.com

motorman2whel

• Grease Monkey
« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2014, 02:41:06 AM »
McQueen was featured some in the original "On Any Sunday" movie, some of the clips looked like home movies. That was a great movie, I can remember watching it as a new release in the theater's as a kid in SoCal. Who knew back then the little kid doing wheelies on his mini trail 50 would grow up to be a champion? ..Jeff Ward . :D.

Scotty Brown

• Scooter
  • Scotty Brown
« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2014, 07:23:22 PM »
There were many celebrities who rode motorcycles.  I remember meeting Keenan Wynn and Lee Marvin both racing at Hopetown in the late 50's.  Ward Bond and Roy Rogers both rode Harleys and who can forget Ann Margaret and her Triumph.  Enjoying motorcycles in not selective to a type.

tooseevee

• Grand Gearhead
  • There Are No Truths Outside The Gates of Eden
« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2014, 08:55:52 PM »
There were many celebrities who rode motorcycles.  I remember meeting Keenan Wynn and Lee Marvin both racing at Hopetown in the late 50's.  Ward Bond and Roy Rogers both rode Harleys and who can forget Ann Margaret and her Triumph.  Enjoying motorcycles in not selective to a type.

....and many of them drove their studios nuts & were ordered not to ride for insurance problems or not being able to finish a movie if they got a boo-boo. In those days the studios owned the actors, but the studios still got told to shove it by some of the actor/riders. Ah, the good old days  ;) when men were men & sheep were nervous. My first real ride (Cheyenne to Laramie & back) was in the huge buddy seat of a '46 hardtail knucklehead in 1949 at the tender age of 11. By the time The Wild One came out I knew the difference between bikers & actors & McQueen was a favorite. He made great movies & he rode & he drove.   
2008 ACE Head AVL Classic
1977 Shovelhead Hardtail Bobber