HPRE

Menu

Members Rides

my 2000

in
Members Rides

39 Guests, 2 Users (1 Hidden)
furankoo
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
October 02, 2014, 08:45:40 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: C5 sounds  (Read 532 times)

oldairplanenut

• Neophyte
C5 sounds
« on: May 19, 2010, 03:28:45 AM »
I went for my first real road ride on my C5 today. To me, the engine sounds a bit "ticky". Is this normal? Lifters? Transmission? Any thoughts? It seems smooth and powerful, but there is always a ticking sound. I've babied it so far, and only took it up to 40 mph today. I'm hoping that these are just normal Enfield noises.
« Last Edit: May 19, 2010, 03:42:29 AM by oldairplanenut »

WillW

• Grand Gearhead
  • ~ it's about the ride ~
Re: C5 sounds
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2010, 08:09:28 AM »
I'm pretty sure you're just hearing the normal top end sounds of the engine. My G5, now on around 1750 miles from new, has that ticky sound too. There are all sorts of other occasional sounds you'll hear, and variations in exhaust note according to load, environment and mood. But you'll find It runs better and better the more miles you put on it.
I was bothered for a while about the loudness of the gearshift click, and more particularly by the amount of free play in the transmission, which to a long time car driver, away from bikes for forty years, still seems excessive. But I guess it's just how they're made. That said, when I take the bike in for its second service soon, I'm going to put all the display bikes in gear on their centre stands and compare the amount of rear wheel free movement.  Obsessive? Me?
Enjoy the ride.
« Last Edit: May 19, 2010, 08:26:21 AM by WillW »
2010 Royal Enfield Electra (G5) DL

2004 Kawasaki W650
~ the best british bike they never made ~

r80rt

• C5 Pilot
  • Grand Gearhead
  • R.I.P Papa Juan, Uncle Ernie
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2010, 11:28:56 AM »
Sounds normal to me, ride and enjoy it.
On the eighth day God created the C5, and it was better looking than anything on the planet.
Iron Butt Association

Rusty

• Bulleteer
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2010, 07:21:32 PM »
I'm hoping that these are just normal Enfield noises.

Yes they are, nothing to worry about. Mine was silent for the first 500 miles and then a top end tick appeared. I was concerned at first but it got no worse and now at 2000 miles it's just part of the bike. If it went quiet again then I'd be worried ;D

Ice

• Hypercafienated
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Ride In Paradise Cabo, Don and Ernie
« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2010, 10:07:03 PM »
 Open framed  bikes with air cooled engines do not have the sound diminishing effects of the water jackets and body works in other designs.

Mechanical music is indeed among the sweetest of sounds to be perceived by the gear heads ear IMHO.
I can break it better,,,,at night, in the rain, on the trail,, 20 miles from nowhere.

REA #136

"TIMEX", the '06 Iron Barrel Military that takes me everywhere I want to go... and some places I shouldn't.