HPRE

Menu

Members Rides

My 2004 Royal Enfield Bullet 65 Trials

in
Members Rides

53 Guests, 5 Users (1 Hidden)
pushrod, phoenixt, bluesdaddy2, dvukin
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
July 28, 2014, 12:27:00 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Adjustable Luggage Rack Installation, B5  (Read 1516 times)

Alan LaRue

• Bulleteer
  • Commute Time is Not the Worst Time of Day
Adjustable Luggage Rack Installation, B5
« on: October 24, 2011, 02:56:55 AM »
The "Chrome Rear Carrier" (aka "adjustable luggage rack") part specified for the B5 model and Legacy Classic, Legacy Deluxe, and Legacy Military is Z90166.

This luggage rack features a sliding section locked down by a pair of bolts, allowing the owner to adjust the length of the rack to some degree.

The main attachments are at the top of the shock absorbers. There are also two secondary support arms. In the photo on the website, these are relatively short, bent arms, that look like they would attach on the rear mounting points for the two-person seat. However, what actually comes with the carrier are two longer, straight arms, for which there is no ready-made mounting point.

I attempted to find out whether I had received the wrong part, or if someone else had mounted this particular configuration, but to no avail. At Jim (Arizoni's) suggestion, I got a pair of U-bolts to fasten to the lower rear-fender brace. This worked out well. The U-bolts I got were marked #112 and sized 1/4" threads,  3/4" between legs, 2-1/2" long, with 1/4-20 threads and  1-1/2" thread length. As it happens, the nuts supplied with the mounting arms from India fit these threads exactly. This made me a bit more comfortable, as it seemed to me that the bolts might not be substantial enough. Once installed, everything fits solidly, so I'm happy with the result.

I had to add two washers on the lower threads of the U-bolt, and one on the upper side where the arm was to be attached, in order to get a tight fit. I hit the "U" portion of the bolts, the plates, and the washers with a bit of the black spray paint that came with the motorcycle (in the box of extras). I doubt it will stay, though, because I didn't try to etch the surface. In any case, it looks okay for now.

I used blue thread lock to make sure the nuts don't back off, of course. (They should have included thread-lock in that box of extras!)

I also got my Dremel tool and cut the ends of the bolts off, as they protruded quite a long way. At this point, I would like to say what a wonderful invention the Dremel tool is! It's a tool that demands patience. It doesn't demand that patience for long, as it does its job quickly, but it does require you to remain patient until the job is done, or you'll have to stop your work to install a new cutting wheel. I learned this a long time ago, and it made this job so easy I'm just in awe of the work the thing does, and philosophical about it, too.

Here is a picture of the U-bolts with the arms attached.

Here's another of the rack attached to the bike.

Chinese food beats hopes and dreams any day.

Arizoni

• Grand Gearhead
  • "But it's a dry heat here in Arizona
Re: Adjustable Luggage Rack Installation, B5
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2011, 10:23:36 PM »
Looks good to me. :)
Jim
2011 G5 Deluxe
1999 Miata 10th Anniversary

Alan LaRue

• Bulleteer
  • Commute Time is Not the Worst Time of Day
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2011, 03:05:07 PM »
Update: It turns out that the supplier did, indeed, send the wrong arms to CMW, and they've offered to send me the correct part when they get them.
Chinese food beats hopes and dreams any day.

Arizoni

• Grand Gearhead
  • "But it's a dry heat here in Arizona
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2011, 08:18:24 PM »
Just my opinion but the mounting you have now will support more weight.
It spreads the load out over a wider structural base.

The only advantage of the correct bars over what you have now is they won't interfere with removing the rear wheel.
Jim
2011 G5 Deluxe
1999 Miata 10th Anniversary

jedaks

• Bulleteer
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2012, 06:39:00 AM »
I have one of those. It works well but beware the screws that lock the sliding bit. They are upside down and WILL fall out. The ultra-cheap plastic wings in them tore away the second time I adjusted it.

Ther rack itself is servicable enought but keep an eye on those screws. I now simply use a bunji cord to keep tension on the parts. It comes in handy for other applications too.