HPRE

Menu

Members Rides

The last one

in
Members Rides

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
October 22, 2014, 12:09:29 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: After-market rear wheel adjuster ???  (Read 1852 times)

UncleErnie

• Grand Gearhead
After-market rear wheel adjuster ???
« on: May 29, 2010, 02:47:24 PM »
Just got 'em.  HOWEVER;  before I take things apart and can't ride while I try to scratch my thinger with one hand and my kazoobers with the other, let me ask in the hopes that someone here has them.  To wit;

There is an off-set that I don't understand.  The bolt goes through an oval hole.  There is a "block" (for want of a better word) welded to the inner part of the big washer that the axle goes through -that is welded to the bolt. 
So- does this block go on the inside or the outside? 

Dear N-Field store;  Would a drawing on a cocktail napkin be too much to ask?  Even a zerox copy of the original you made at lunch?
Run what ya brung

1Blackwolf1

• Grand Gearhead
  • Looking for the next rebuild project....
Re: After-market rear wheel adjuster ???
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2010, 04:16:29 PM »
  Didn't know they made such a thing.  Got a picture so we can all see what it is?
Will Morrison
2007 500 Military
2000 Kawasaki Drifter 1500
2000 Victory V92SC
1976 Suzuki GT185 Rebuilder Special..AKA (Junkyard Dog)
Many, many other toys.
The garage is full.

singhg5

• Grand Gearhead
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2010, 05:40:46 PM »
Just got 'em.  HOWEVER;  before I take things apart and can't ride while I try to scratch my thinger with one hand and my kazoobers with the other, let me ask in the hopes that someone here has them.  To wit;

There is an off-set that I don't understand.  The bolt goes through an oval hole.  There is a "block" (for want of a better word) welded to the inner part of the big washer that the axle goes through -that is welded to the bolt. 
So- does this block go on the inside or the outside? 

Dear N-Field store;  Would a drawing on a cocktail napkin be too much to ask?  Even a zerox copy of the original you made at lunch?

Ernie:

Are you talking about chain adjuster - part no. Z91515 ?  Can you post a picture ?

1970's Jawa /  Yezdi
2006 Honda Nighthawk
2009 Royal Enfield Black G5

The Garbone

• Shade Tree
  • Grand Gearhead
  • User Complaints: 22
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2010, 08:24:42 PM »
Here is the image.

How much are they?   Let us know if they are the cats ass,  I will order some..
Gary
57' RE Crusader 250
67' Ford Mustang
74' Catalina 27 "Knot a Clew"
95 RE Ace Clubman 535
01 HD 1200 Custom
07 RE 5spd HaCK

* all actions described in this post are fictional *

UncleErnie

• Grand Gearhead
« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2010, 08:50:07 PM »
$44 delivered.  I sprayed the square parts with satin black and this humdidity is making them take longer to dry, I guess.  Tomorrow is Brit bike party time down in Oldpeoplesville, then a service- after which I shall proffer a report.

How did you get that picture up- did you have to put it in Photobucket?
« Last Edit: May 29, 2010, 08:52:08 PM by UncleErnie »
Run what ya brung

The Garbone

• Shade Tree
  • Grand Gearhead
  • User Complaints: 22
« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2010, 09:12:11 PM »
$44 delivered.  I sprayed the square parts with satin black and this humdidity is making them take longer to dry, I guess.  Tomorrow is Brit bike party time down in Oldpeoplesville, then a service- after which I shall proffer a report.

How did you get that picture up- did you have to put it in Photobucket?

I put it on this site in the mods gallery actually.. 

Maybe you should stick em in the oven next to the taters'.    Will harden up the paint real nice...
Gary
57' RE Crusader 250
67' Ford Mustang
74' Catalina 27 "Knot a Clew"
95 RE Ace Clubman 535
01 HD 1200 Custom
07 RE 5spd HaCK

* all actions described in this post are fictional *

UncleErnie

• Grand Gearhead
« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2010, 09:23:57 PM »
Uncle Ernie's Lifetime chili tonight.
Good tip, though.
Run what ya brung

singhg5

• Grand Gearhead
« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2010, 04:42:18 AM »
Right- #Z91515

Anyhoo, I keep turning it over and staring at it, staring at the bike, and back again.    I think I'm starting to figure it out.  Hope it's as good as it saounds- I hate those snals.

I am also ordering them.  They look really nice in the picture that you and Gary have posted and linked here.

I am waiting to receive the new paper catalog that will have parts for G5 and other UCE EFI models.  I was told that catalog should be out in a few days. 

Did you finally figure out which way 'block' should face ?  In those pictures, where is this 'block' that you said is welded to the washer ?
1970's Jawa /  Yezdi
2006 Honda Nighthawk

UncleErnie

• Grand Gearhead
« Reply #8 on: June 05, 2010, 05:25:54 PM »
UPDATE;  A picture of my painted thinger should show up here somewhere...

So, this is made of 2 parts;  a ring with a bolt welded to it.  The rings are sized to fit the axle.  The little "block" goes in the space of the fishtail part of the frame to keep the bolt from moving up and down.  
The "box" has to internal indents;  shallow for the top part of the fishtail, and deeper for the bottom part.  

The right side works great.

The left side... >sigh<  The box goes on fine.  The ring-bolt combo goes on finme.  I can not get them on at the same time.  I spent 3 days trying.  The only thing I can figure is that with variances of Royal Enfield personalized assembly, perhapos the prototype for these was made for a bike that varies just enough from mine that I can't get it on.
It sure is close, too...

So- I have the new bolt and nut adjuster on the right, and the clam shell on the left.  Do I think it was worth it?  Not really, but it did make adjusting the chain a little easier because when I did it with the stock bits, the right-side clam shell always fell down as I was tightening up the left sie.  It would be nice if RE just sold the right side alone for half the money.
« Last Edit: June 05, 2010, 05:28:29 PM by UncleErnie »
Run what ya brung

singhg5

• Grand Gearhead
« Reply #9 on: June 06, 2010, 12:38:24 AM »
Ernie:

It is disappointing that the chain adjusters do not fit on both sides.  From the picture you have posted, the adjuster on one side does look good.

After trying quite a bit you say that It does not fit on the chain side.  Can you confirm if the axle and fishtail of frame, on the chain side, are exactly at right angle (90 degrees) ? Is that the problem or something else ?
1970's Jawa /  Yezdi
2006 Honda Nighthawk

UncleErnie

• Grand Gearhead
« Reply #10 on: June 06, 2010, 03:36:56 AM »
The ring-bolt go on the axle fine by itself.
The "box" fits right up real good- by itself.
The problem I have is if I put the ring-bolt piece on and then try to get the box on over the bolt, it hios something and won't go in all the way to fit eh fishtail properly.
I've tried to put the box on the bolt first and then put them on the axle together- but it still gets close bu won't go on all the way.

I want to get a (younger) friend over who can actually get on his knees and take a cloer look.  It may be possible to file just a little bit of a corner off so it will go on.
REgarding what I think your questiopn is;  The frame and everything look OK.  Like I said, the box fits fine until I try to get the ring and bolt in.  

Mr Mahoney suggested the axle needs to come back further.  I tried taking the wheel as far back as possible and I might need to take the whole chain off.  ? !  I'm not yet sure that's the problem, though.

I should mention that all bikes are a little different- this part probably fits on most bikes.  I'm just relating my personal experience.
« Last Edit: June 06, 2010, 10:39:38 AM by UncleErnie »
Run what ya brung

« Reply #11 on: March 14, 2012, 08:45:54 AM »
Just put 'em on my 2009 AVL,  went on easy, may have to do some insubstantial grinding in order to more easily fit a socket for adjusting the chain from time to time, as I come to a stop I can take my hands of the handelbars and she rides streight as an arrow

barenekd

• Grand Gearhead
« Reply #12 on: March 14, 2012, 05:11:31 PM »
Be aware that there are two different part numbers for the adjusters. Z91515 for the earlier bikes and Z91523 for the, I think, AVL/G5 frame.
Bare
2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Racer
2011 Black Classic G5 (RIP)
I refuse to tiptoe through life only to arrive safely at death
http://www.controllineplans.com