HPRE

Menu

Members Rides

D-Day Commemorations 2009

in
Members Rides

66 Guests, 0 Users
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
July 30, 2014, 07:07:55 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: vibration in bars and pegs...  (Read 849 times)

Arizoni

• Grand Gearhead
  • "But it's a dry heat here in Arizona
Re: vibration in bars and pegs...
« Reply #15 on: May 27, 2014, 10:26:03 PM »
EWSD
I assume you have checked the head steady to see if it is cracked or its fasteners are loose?
The other engine mount bolts have been known to be loose or to fail.

If either of these areas have cracked or loose parts the engine vibration will be very noticeable.
Jim
2011 G5 Deluxe
1999 Miata 10th Anniversary

Bulletman

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2011 - C5 Classic Black
« Reply #16 on: May 27, 2014, 10:48:00 PM »
I've got the Napolean mirrors and the soft gel grips on the bike since it had about 2500 miles on it, the vibrations did die down a lot..I've also got the reverse cone emgo on the bike..similar to Ducati Scotties....I'm at 8500 miles now and just barely any vibrations.
"A Blast from my Past"
Mark F   (Northern, CA)
Black C5 2011

eatworksleepdie

• Neophyte
« Reply #17 on: June 26, 2014, 07:18:31 PM »
Some updates. I put the grips and EFI pipe on. It didn't make much difference, if any unfortunately. Those vibration isolation grips that are sold on nfield gear didn't do anthing notable for me. FYI- They are the same Kuryakyn grips that others sell for less. Also to note, the RE bar is NOT a 7/8 bar come to find out. It's like, 1/16 under... lame. Also the OEM throttle has too much slop between the bar & the plastic throttle casing that the grip goes on. I highly suggest if anyone gets those grips to fill the space with a few layers of Teflon tape. The same stuff you put on threads to seal gas pipes etc. Just enough to fill the gap & still allow the throttle to return to idle. My bike was much much worse with those ISO grips on without the tape.
So the search continues to make my bike ride-able without loosing feeling in my hands.

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
« Reply #18 on: June 26, 2014, 07:30:29 PM »
Try a pair of ProGrip Gel grips. They're $10-15 at almost every Moto shop or online.  Get the single density kind made of just rubber.  And they fit on the RE with no problems or adjustments.  I like the713 model but they are a tad big if you have small hands.

Scott

High On Octane

• Grand Gearhead
  • Go Fast & Look Good Doing It
« Reply #19 on: June 26, 2014, 07:35:45 PM »
I use the ProGrip 714 Dual Sport grips and I barely notice any vibration in my grips/bars.  Certainly not enough to cause any discomfort.  Also, I noticed when I intsalled my rear set controls a few weeks ago I barely get any vibrations in my feet now too.  Seriously, I was completely caught by surprise the first time I rode the bike to work down the freeway with the new controls.  With the factory footrests my feet were falling asleep after about 30-45 minutes of riding down the freeway.  With the new rear sets my feet barely vibrate at all.  Now my problem is my custom seat isn't comfy enough and my butt falls asleep.  LOL   :D

Scottie J
Bulldog Kustoms - Denver, CO
Specializing In Kustom Paint

The Blackhawk
1958 Enfield/Indian 711cc Twin

Building the 1st EVER Supercharged RE Twin
FULL RACE motor with ACE Performance

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
« Reply #20 on: June 26, 2014, 07:37:25 PM »
The 714 is awesome but even bigger than the 713.

High On Octane

• Grand Gearhead
  • Go Fast & Look Good Doing It
« Reply #21 on: June 26, 2014, 07:42:26 PM »
Maybe that's why I like them so much, I have long skinny fingers.  Well, long skinny fingers with bulbous knuckles.  LOL    ;D
Bulldog Kustoms - Denver, CO
Specializing In Kustom Paint

The Blackhawk
1958 Enfield/Indian 711cc Twin

Building the 1st EVER Supercharged RE Twin
FULL RACE motor with ACE Performance

krimp

• Bulleteer
« Reply #22 on: June 26, 2014, 07:52:35 PM »
EWSD, if you haven't give Ducati Scotty's suggestion a try, then you may be missing out on the solution you are looking for.

Get the engine hot and then turn it off.  Loosen up all the engine mounting bolts; not sloppy loose but loose enough for a little movement.  Start the engine and torque each mounting bolt while the engine is running.  This helps to get rid of any internal stress in the frame/engine mounting.
Living in beautiful Colorado Springs, Co.
2014 Cream C5

suitcasejefferson

• Grease Monkey
« Reply #23 on: June 26, 2014, 08:19:05 PM »
Uh, why did you buy an Enfield? Vibration was a big part of my reason. I got so sick of those electric smooth Japanese bikes, I did consider a 2003 or older H-D Sportster, but decided to go with the Enfield, as I have always loved vintage British bikes, and once owned a '66 Triumph. If anything I would like a little more vibration.
2013 Royal Enfield B5
2002 Kawasaki Vulcan 750
2001 Yamaha XT225
2012 Yamaha Zuma 125
2009 Genuine Stella 2 stroke
1980 Puch Maxi ZA50 2 speed
1971 VeloSolex S3800

AussieDave

• Grease Monkey
  • How does this thing work?..Ouch..oh..
« Reply #24 on: June 29, 2014, 06:23:48 AM »
My  girl likes the vibration.  :)
"Glorious,stirring sight! The poetry of motion! The real way to travel! The only way to travel! ... O bliss ! O poop poop ! Oh my! Oh my!" - Toad of Toad Hall.

Portland Bullet

• Scooter
  • 2011 B5
« Reply #25 on: July 01, 2014, 07:31:17 PM »
Uh, why did you buy an Enfield?

There's a question I have been wanting to ask for a while now. Ain't no fixing a thing that is what it is. Love it or moooooove on.
The Portland Bullet
To Dream, to Live, to Ride

2011 B5 Bullet 500cc

Gypsyjon

• Grease Monkey
  • 201o G5 Deluxe Black & Chrome
« Reply #26 on: July 02, 2014, 11:44:19 PM »
You want to experience some vibration?

Find an old BSA Victor...ride that baby for a while then your RE will feel like a Lazy Boy...
I've gone back to my roots. British 1 lunger, stump puller.

eatworksleepdie

• Neophyte
« Reply #27 on: July 29, 2014, 02:09:45 PM »
EWSD
I assume you have checked the head steady to see if it is cracked or its fasteners are loose?
The other engine mount bolts have been known to be loose or to fail.

If either of these areas have cracked or loose parts the engine vibration will be very noticeable.

WINNER WINNER!
I should have asked what you were referring to when you referenced "head steady".

Finally, my bike is ride-able again! holy smokes that was a doozy. After tinkering around with tightening/loosening bolts etc.. Right before a long ride, I loosened some of the mounting bolts just messing around with vibration etc. It of course made it worse which was expected. But, I had a long ride to go on with a group and didn't have time to stop. This brought out the vibration a ton. Blessing in disguise was it also made the culprit rear it's ugly head! My Tank started getting more and more loose, and the vibration increased with the tank loosening. Got home and tightened down the tank and the front engine mounting bolts and viola!
I never noticed there was a bracket (the head steady) connecting the motor to the top of the frame where the tank/seat meet! so dumb of me. Anyway, yeah that was it. I finally don't want to wrap my bike around a tree in frustration anymore! haha.

Lesson learned. Don't trust any "factory" torqued nuts/bolts to save your life. Nothing has been tight on this bike. My wife and I have lost so many nuts/bolts from things just rattling off. Loctite stock anyone!?

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
« Reply #28 on: Today at 05:09:56 AM »
Lesson 2: Blue LocTite.