HPRE

Menu

Members Rides

Old Bill

in
Members Rides

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
December 17, 2014, 09:49:13 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Royal Enfield or Triumph Bonneville  (Read 853 times)

JohnDL

• Neophyte
Re: Royal Enfield or Triumph Bonneville
« Reply #30 on: December 14, 2014, 09:43:16 AM »
Really, a factory for the US models and a different factory for UK & EU bikes, no wonder they are so expensive?  I thought some of the parts are made in Asia (like a lot of other brands) and some are made in the UK.

Not according to the link below. The modern Triumphs are built and assembled to the same spec whether it's the UK or Thailand. Thailand bikes also end up in the UK to meet demand. Like most vehicles these days, they're a mish-mash of parts manufactured from every corner of the world.
http://www.triumphrat.net/twins-talk/81975-where-is-my-triumph-made-3.html

John

TWinOKC

• Grand Gearhead
« Reply #31 on: December 14, 2014, 03:46:39 PM »
Not according to the link below. The modern Triumphs are built and assembled to the same spec whether it's the UK or Thailand. Thailand bikes also end up in the UK to meet demand. Like most vehicles these days, they're a mish-mash of parts manufactured from every corner of the world.
http://www.triumphrat.net/twins-talk/81975-where-is-my-triumph-made-3.html

John

Thanks for the link.  Although the information is a few years old it is probably accurate today.

Terry

2010  C5  Teal
Triumph Bonneville T100

pmanaz1973

• Bulleteer
« Reply #32 on: December 14, 2014, 07:08:10 PM »
I think it is still fairly accurate.  My friends 2013 T-100 no longer has the Union Jack badge and no longer says Made in Great Britain - Just "Great Britain" in the triangle.  His bike was assembled in Thailand from what he can tell.  He has a had a few charging issues/electrical gremlins, but nothing that is a deal breaker for him. 

I've ridden his T-100 at 65-75 mph and it is solid and can do that all day.  Waaaaay better than my C5.  I consider 60mph the outside edge of my C5 long-term service speed.
1991 XR250L (traded for)
1976 Harley XLH 1000 (blew up)
1993 CBR 600 (sold for)
1976 Norton Commando 850 (traded for)
1972 BMW R75/5 (sold)
2014 Royal Enfield C5

barenekd

• Grand Gearhead
« Reply #33 on: December 14, 2014, 09:34:22 PM »
You guys are missing another great choice, a Moto Guzzi V7 750 V-Twin The V7Ss are about the same price as the T100, almost 100 pounds lighter, the same as an RE. Very reliable, get better mileage than the gas guzzling Triumph and are considerably easier to work on. And they do have some character. Great bikes.
The most fun bike I ever had, though, was my RE. But fortunately it as a easy bike to work on as I did a lot of modifying to mine to cafe racerize it. But it was always very reliable and I had no problems with it that I didn't cause. I wanted to get a Continental, but they weren't available when I got my Guzzi. I've ridden them and my love for RE's is still there, but I have no qualms with the Guzzi. 17,000 miles in a year and a half definitely shows that I do like it.
Oh, I did have a Triumph Scrambler, It took my 5 years to put 17,000 miles on it because I  hated the thing. Mine was made in England, you can tell where they're made by the VIN number.
Mine was too tall, too heavy, dismal handling, absolutely no character, Sucked gas like a drunken sailor sucks rum! I got, on a good day 38 mpg with it. I got 70 with the RE. And a Royal PITA to work on. Maintenance is expensive on them because they are a pain! Mine also had it's less than reliable moments. Quit an me a couplel of times in  the car pool lane and I was pinned by the wall by 80 mph traffic! CPI problem that I had on other Triumphs, too. Not a happy camper at that point! I traded it in on the RE. Best deal I ever made in my life!
Bare
« Last Edit: December 14, 2014, 09:47:55 PM by barenekd »
2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Racer
2011 Black Classic G5 (RIP)
I refuse to tiptoe through life only to arrive safely at death
http://www.controllineplans.com

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
« Reply #34 on: December 15, 2014, 12:59:46 AM »
The Guzzi is also a torquey engine down low like the RE.  If i had the money I certainly would have looked at one. 

Scott

JohnDL

• Neophyte
« Reply #35 on: December 15, 2014, 06:44:08 AM »
Me too. I'd choose a V7 over a Bonneville.

The OP only asked about the RE & Bonneville though.

I'd definitely choose the Enfield over the Triumph unless sustained 70+ mph highway speeds were needed though. Then I'd choose the V7.  :D
John

bikesnob

• Scooter
« Reply #36 on: December 15, 2014, 06:10:29 PM »
Having had a Enfield C5 and a Bonneville T00 I would go with the Triumph, much better on the freeway.  The gas mileage was a disappointment about 40 mpg, fuel light would come on at 120 miles so I always had my fuel stops planned.  I put ten thousand miles on her in 2 1/2 years no problems.  I like Bare's Guzzi V7 that would be another option.
Steve
2013 Bonniville T 100
2010 BMW R1200GS
2011 Bullet C5 (sold)

Arizoni

• Grand Gearhead
  • "But it's a dry heat here in Arizona
« Reply #37 on: December 15, 2014, 10:55:33 PM »
I mentioned in my post about taking a test ride on a new Bonnie that I was impressed with its power, smoothness and stability but I should have commented that after the ride when I got back on my RE, with the vibrations, the sound and just general overall feel it was like returning home to sit in my friendly, comfortable old chair.

I suppose you guys who don't have a comfortable old chair can't identify with this but I know a lot of you can. :)
Jim
2011 G5 Deluxe
1999 Miata 10th Anniversary

sparklow

• Scooter
  • Never half ass two things, whole ass one thing ...
« Reply #38 on: December 15, 2014, 11:15:21 PM »
My 2011 RE B5 has a 2010 mag wheel Bonneville for a stablemate in my bike shed. They are both great bikes.
2011 B5
B5, like a Model T, comes in any color, as long as it's black.

Captwilly

• Neophyte
« Reply #39 on: Today at 05:10:33 AM »
Yeah really can't beat the new Triumphs, I had one of the first Thunderbirds to come back to the states in 1995, a 2004 Bonneville and a 2006 Scrambler. The Scrambler was my favorite with a good exhaust and proper jetting mine got 55-60 mpg and would still run past 100 mph. With that being said I really like the Enfield, with all of it's shortcomings it feels like it is developing a soul and a connection with me, kind of like my 1974 Triumph did, so I really like it.

squire

• Bulleteer
« Reply #40 on: Today at 06:54:15 AM »
The new Triumphs by a long shot. I owned a 93 T100 for five years then sold it to a friend and it hasn't missed a beat, still has the original battery even. Never seen the inside of a shop. I currently own a Thruxton and not one issue. The only bike I've had that's worse than my 2012 C5 was a 2005 Ural Patrol.
I had a Guzzi that was marginally better than the RE.
Ive owned worse bikes but they were all old Brit iron.
I've had a few dozen Japanese bike and they've all essentially been issue free but mostly soul free as well.

Now, do I like the RE? Hell yes, it's a hoot but the op ask about reliability. And my next bike is going to be a MG V7 so what does that tell you.