HPRE

Menu

Members Rides

Black & White Nostalgia Shot

in
Members Rides

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 04, 2015, 04:56:52 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: UCE oil question  (Read 1118 times)

JVS

• Grand Gearhead
  • I love chicken
Re: UCE oil question
« Reply #60 on: March 02, 2015, 10:13:28 AM »
Hello Mandar,

The 2.7 litres is the total capacity. When you drain the oil, not all of it comes out, so don't worry. I'm assuming you have > 2012 model, with two drain plugs?

Many members have one drain plug and manage to drain about 1.7 litres at a time, rest stays inside. So you are okay! Just don't overfill. But it seems like you have, because you've gone over the maximum mark.

Loosen the main drain bolt a bit and let some oil drip out till the level in the sight glass reaches maximum line. Then go for a ride till the engine is quite warm, come back home, let the bike remain on for about a minute and then shut it off. Wait five minutes or so, and re-check level and fill appropriately. As long as it is in the middle of the max and min lines, it is fine.
« Last Edit: March 02, 2015, 10:19:00 AM by JVS »
Sons continuing wars, our fathers were enemies

Mandar_C500

• Neophyte
« Reply #61 on: March 02, 2015, 12:30:24 PM »
Hello Mandar,

The 2.7 litres is the total capacity. When you drain the oil, not all of it comes out, so don't worry. I'm assuming you have > 2012 model, with two drain plugs?

Many members have one drain plug and manage to drain about 1.7 litres at a time, rest stays inside. So you are okay! Just don't overfill. But it seems like you have, because you've gone over the maximum mark.

Loosen the main drain bolt a bit and let some oil drip out till the level in the sight glass reaches maximum line. Then go for a ride till the engine is quite warm, come back home, let the bike remain on for about a minute and then shut it off. Wait five minutes or so, and re-check level and fill appropriately. As long as it is in the middle of the max and min lines, it is fine.

Thanks for the response.
Mine is 2010 Model with only one bolt and the metal filter to drain the oil. I have filled only 100 ml above the glass window, I think that should be fine.

I have ridden the bike for 6 KM after putting the new oil and then in the morning  checked the oil window. oil level is above the glass window.

Regards
Mandar

gizzo

• Grease Monkey
« Reply #62 on: Today at 07:55:56 AM »
Anyone sticking by the handbook recommended oil change inervals? Mine says every 6000km  :o that's about twice what I'd normally stretch an oil change to. Seems like a really long way for a small volume of oil doing lubrication and cooling duties.
simon from south Australia
Continental GT
Suzuki Savage bobber
Pantah
Monster
DR250

Mandar_C500

• Neophyte
« Reply #63 on: Today at 08:18:43 AM »
Anyone sticking by the handbook recommended oil change inervals? Mine says every 6000km  :o that's about twice what I'd normally stretch an oil change to. Seems like a really long way for a small volume of oil doing lubrication and cooling duties.
I am following the 3K KM interval for oil change with the mineral oil and 4K for Semi Synthetic. Then here in in India we have more dusty conditions.

Regards
Mandar

AussieDave

• Grand Gearhead
  • How does this thing work?..Ouch..oh..
« Reply #64 on: Today at 02:33:54 PM »
Yeah, after a big end bearing failure I've been changing it about every 4k .. Just for peace of mind .
"Glorious,stirring sight! The poetry of motion! The real way to travel! The only way to travel! ... O bliss ! O poop poop ! Oh my! Oh my!" - Toad of Toad Hall.

suitcasejefferson

• Grand Gearhead
« Reply #65 on: Today at 03:23:02 PM »
I have a 2013, with 2 plugs, and it takes right about 2 liters to fill it up to the top of the fill line. What makes filling the Enfield so difficult is that when you first fill it, it will reach the top of the sight glass with a lot less oil than that. Start it up and run it a few minutes, shut it off, and the next day it will show empty. Fill it up to the top of the sight glass again. Start it up, or ride it, then park it, and the next day it will show about half full. Fill it up once more, and it will stay there. I finally figured out just how much it took to actually fill it up, and now pour in the full amount the first time. I am used to wet sump Japanese engines. I would be a lot more worried about it being low on oil than being too full. If it is too full, it will blow oil out the breather, if it is too low, it will destroy the engine. I keep all my engines full all the way to the top of the sight glass, or the FULL line on the dipstick.

The 10w50 should be fine for now (I don't see that weight very often) but I would switch to 20w50 next oil change, unless you live where it is REALLY cold. 20w50 is available everywhere. The higher lower number will provide better protection on cold startup.

I change my oil every 2K MILES using pure synthetic oil. If it were a 500cc Japanese bike (dirt bikes excepted) I would wait twice that long with synthetic oil.
« Last Edit: Today at 03:28:56 PM by suitcasejefferson »
I am a motorcyclist, NOT a biker.
2013 Royal Enfield B5
2002 Kawasaki Vulcan 750
2001 Yamaha XT225
2015 SYM HD200 scooter
2009 Genuine Stella 2 stroke scooter
1971 VeloSolex S3800