HPRE

Menu

Members Rides

Military G5 with rear seat

in
Members Rides

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
September 22, 2014, 02:23:24 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: power commander - any-one tried it and does it work?  (Read 280 times)

wildbill

• Grand Gearhead
power commander - any-one tried it and does it work?
« on: September 17, 2014, 05:58:31 AM »
i just saw the bit of info on the power commander. i already have the efi muffler and the k&n filter - just wondering for the $400 outlay which isn't much for the power commander unit - do you really get any extra power to the rear wheel.
i know a couple of years ago when i re-chipped my mx5 turbo i well and truly got the results i wanted so in theory is this just a piggyback on the main ecu with an added bonus of a few extra rwhp.
if it does give it a bit more get up and go i think i will have a go a one but would be curious what other members think on this add on power mod.
2011 C5 black/chrome
2012 C5 maroon/chrome 
2013 B5 black
2014 Continental gt
2014 C5 tan/cheery - upgrades and work in progress

2004 mazda-speed miata
2001 bmw z3 2.2

bluesdaddy2

• Bulleteer
  • aka Ross
Re: power commander - any-one tried it and does it work?
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2014, 10:08:51 AM »
i just saw the bit of info on the power commander. i already have the efi muffler and the k&n filter - just wondering for the $400 outlay which isn't much for the power commander unit - do you really get any extra power to the rear wheel.

I'm wondering the same thing.  Is this thing really needed?  It seems that plenty of people have changed exhaust & air filters from the stock setup, without the PCV installed, and are running fine.  What happens if/when you need to make another change down the road, do you need to spend $400 for a PCV mapped to your particular setup each time you make a change?
2012 Royal Enfield C5 Chrome/Black
1938 Harley-Davidson Model U (patiently waiting some TLC)
1975 HD Sportster (Gone but not forgotten)

Vergennes, VT
Ilion, NY

NField Gearman

• Administrator
  • Bulleteer
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2014, 01:58:21 PM »
Hopefully this explains everything you need to know.

http://www.enfieldmotorcycles.com/forum/index.php/topic,19798.msg217384.html#msg217384

And as far as making changes down the road; no we will just send you a new map if we have one that fits your requirements.

Manatoc fox

• Scooter
« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2014, 07:53:36 PM »
Are the power commanders mapped for any Nfield exhaust or just the short bottle EFI classic exhaust?  I'm really hankering for something black...
2014 Royal Enfield Military-"Thumper" to his friends

SteveThackery

• Inveterate tinkerer
  • Bulleteer
  • "If it ain't broke, keep fixing it until it is."
« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2014, 08:02:56 AM »

I'm wondering the same thing.  Is this thing really needed?  It seems that plenty of people have changed exhaust & air filters from the stock setup, without the PCV installed, and are running fine.

According to my instruments, for a lot of the time the engine runs "closed loop" anyway, where the mixture is automatically maintained around stoichiometric.  This should continue even when the air filter and exhaust have been changed (provided you've kept the O2 sensor, of course).  So in that respect there's no actual need for a Power Commander.

It goes open-loop - and rich - only at very large throttle openings and high speeds.  I'm very confident that the existing enrichment would be perfectly OK with the new kit installed.  It won't be far enough off to cause engine problems.

It goes open-loop - and very weak - on prolonged overruns with the throttle closed, and in these circumstances again we don't need to worry - a different air filter and exhaust won't make any difference when the throttle plate is closed and no fuel is being injected.

HOWEVER - a Power Commander will help release the performance potential of your bike with these new parts fitted.  It will allow a richer mixture during acceleration, for instance, giving you more power.

In summary, no harm will come from keeping the existing ECU as it is.  It compensates better for such changes than a carburettor can.  But a Power Commander should help release the potential performance gains from a new air filter and exhaust.

I haven't used a Power Commander on my Enfield, but I've used similar products on my cars and experienced genuine, noticeable improvements.  I would expect the same of the Power Commander.
2014 B5, stock apart from disabled auto-decomp.  Also ride a Kawasaki Versys 650 for everyday use.

Previous:
'06 ElectraX (Good bike, had no trouble at all)
'02 500ES (Fully "Hitchcocked" - 535, cams, piston, etc - and still a piece of junk)

bluesdaddy2

• Bulleteer
  • aka Ross
« Reply #5 on: Today at 10:59:43 AM »
In summary, no harm will come from keeping the existing ECU as it is.  It compensates better for such changes than a carburettor can.  But a Power Commander should help release the potential performance gains from a new air filter and exhaust.

Peter & Steve...........  Thanks.
2012 Royal Enfield C5 Chrome/Black
1938 Harley-Davidson Model U (patiently waiting some TLC)
1975 HD Sportster (Gone but not forgotten)

Vergennes, VT
Ilion, NY