HPRE

Menu

Members Rides

Himalayas Ladakh

in
Members Rides

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
October 23, 2014, 06:44:39 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: C5 strip and restore thread  (Read 2030 times)

SteveThackery

• Inveterate tinkerer
  • Bulleteer
  • "If it ain't broke, keep fixing it until it is."
Re: C5 strip and restore thread
« Reply #105 on: Today at 08:27:40 AM »
110 psi is considered good compression on a UCE which is ridiculously low by any other standard.

Yes, but of course it's that low only because of the decompressor.  Or is that the point you were making?
2014 B5, stock apart from disabled auto-decomp.  Also ride a Kawasaki Versys 650 for everyday use.

Previous:
'06 ElectraX (Good bike, had no trouble at all)
'02 500ES (Fully "Hitchcocked" - 535, cams, piston, etc - and still a piece of junk)

SteveThackery

• Inveterate tinkerer
  • Bulleteer
« Reply #106 on: Today at 08:29:09 AM »
Seems, then, it's more like a compression reducer - there will always be some compression built up with each revolution, because the piston is still traveling upwards after the decomp closes...

Well, of course it is, otherwise the engine wouldn't start.  It's exactly what you said: a compression reducer to make it easier to turn the engine over on the kickstarter or electric starter.
2014 B5, stock apart from disabled auto-decomp.  Also ride a Kawasaki Versys 650 for everyday use.

Previous:
'02 500ES (Fully "Hitchcocked" - 535, cams, piston, etc - and still a piece of junk)

SteveThackery

• Inveterate tinkerer
  • Bulleteer
« Reply #107 on: Today at 08:31:29 AM »
Nice Desi!  Cool that someone finally tore it all the way apart and figured it out.  Nice work.  :)

We've talked about this loads of times before.  Lots of us have knobbled the decompressor.  On mine I did it by putting the spring in incorrectly, which has the advantage of leaving the flat part of the pin filling the slot.  All reported previously, and others have posted photos.

Previous:

SteveThackery

• Inveterate tinkerer
  • Bulleteer
« Reply #108 on: Today at 08:38:20 AM »
It's primary function is to keep the piston from kicking back and reversing the crankshaft rotation during engine shutdown.

I've heard this assertion repeated many times in this forum.  But who says it is true?  Where does it come from?  If you read the RE workshop manual, it gives other reasons, viz:

* eliminates a manual system that needs periodic servicing
* helps in easy starting of the engine
* reduces the high initial load on the electric starter motor

Note: no mention of crankshaft reversal and sprag protection.  So where did that come from?

Previous:

barenekd

• Grand Gearhead
« Reply #109 on: Today at 06:04:32 PM »
It's primary function is to keep the piston from kicking back and reversing the crankshaft rotation during engine shutdown.

It didn't work in that capacity when mine quit and kicked back, wiping out the sprag!
I've never heard it clanking when I shut it down.
Bare
2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Racer
2011 Black Classic G5 (RIP)
I refuse to tiptoe through life only to arrive safely at death
http://www.controllineplans.com