HPRE

Menu

Members Rides

Shirley

in
Members Rides

58 Guests, 3 Users
phoenixt, kodai, dginfw
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
November 28, 2014, 03:08:38 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: C5 suspension  (Read 300 times)

eda1bulletc5

• Bulleteer
C5 suspension
« on: November 17, 2014, 06:21:52 PM »
Hi Folks,

I am in process of making my 2011 C5 a bit more off-road capable (more like light trail bike) and make it look like a vintage scrambler.
In looking through the factory service manual, I found that the G5/E5 fork has a stroke length of 155mm compared to C5 130mm. I am hoping this is true...
I am wondering if anyone would know if a G5 fork assembly + fork gators can be fitted to a C5.

The hope is there is no difference between G5 or C5 between the top or bottom triple tree and the head light assembly or enclosure and thus the swap being a direct bolt-on.

The above will also help in fork oil change, since on G5 forks the oil change is much simpler than C5.

On the rear, I am looking for a 365mm trail shocks, maybe from Hagon...but a cheaper alternative would be more suitable to be within budget.
Any advice on the size of the shocks and cheaper option would be helpful.

I have already changed/modified the following;
 - Shinko 244 tire 3.5x18 at both rear and front.
 - Removed dished portion on the front mudguard (at the fork tube) to give more clearance for wider tire.
 - cut the rear fender to give it a more off-road look.
 - Installed the Lucas tail light + bullet blinkers.

The following is what I am planning to do;
 - Install Skid plate
 - Install High pipe (without removing the side airbox/electrical box)
 - Front wheel to 19" WM3 rim + 19" spoke with Shinko 241 3.5 tire
 - Front trail mud guard.

Thanks a lot!
Sajiv
2011 RE C5
2012 Honda NC700X 6-speed

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Re: C5 suspension
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2014, 07:33:53 PM »
The other forks do have a longer stroke than the C5, but they're also longer overall and may have a different offset at the axle.  Since they screw into the nacelle the same way and have the same diameter, you should be able to install them but it might totally screw your steering geometry.

Usually, to preserve the geometry you'll need to raise the rear as much as the front.  Longer shocks can do that but you need to consider the brake mechanism and the chain.  The brakes still have to work at the new swingarm angle and if the swingarm angle is too drastic, you may need excessive slack in the chain to be able to accommodate the full travel.  Generally, you want the line from the front cog to the rear axle to fall slightly below the swingarm pivot.  This causes the chain tension on acceleration to make the rear end extend, counteracting the tendency of the spinning wheel to make it squat.  Done correctly, a hard acceleration doesn't upset the rear end.  Done incorrectly the rear will squat or stand up noticeably.

Beyond that, the offset of the axle from the line of the forks also affects the steering geometry.  If it's more or less, you'll need to recalculate the trail to figure out if the bike is prone to be more or less stable. 

The other forks may also have a different method of attaching the front fender. 

Scott
« Last Edit: November 17, 2014, 07:38:06 PM by Ducati Scotty »

eda1bulletc5

• Bulleteer
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2014, 08:37:08 PM »
Hi Scott,
thanks for the reply and information.

yes, the steering geometry is a concern. Considering the way that C5 (pre 2012 with front fork offset at axle and 18" wheel) behave at high speed, the rake should be smaller compared to G5.

I looked up on both US and Indian RE website, both show as the front travel as 130mm...but service manual for 2011 shows stroke length for C5 = 130mm and G5 = 155mm.

Front suspension swap would only make sense if G5's travel is 155mm; if not I will just stick with C5s fork.
2011 RE C5

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2014, 09:26:11 PM »
Are you near a dealer?  If so just roll by with your bike and a tape measure.  Check the overall length on both, line your bike up next to one if you could.  If not, just ask someone here to measure their fork fully extended for comparison.

That said, I'm pretty sure it has more travel.  Still, I think just adding stiffer springs to the original may be an easier way to go.  I noticed Sonic Springs is listing the UCE bikes again.  Good people to deal with.  Of course I'd recommend Hagons for the rear.  I'd also look into folding footpegs.  You're most certainly going to drop it off road sooner or later and the originals tend to bend.

Scott

Scott

mattsz

• Grand Gearhead
  • moto-gurdyist
« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2014, 09:54:52 PM »
I wonder how many G5's are left at the dealers?

alladinko

• Scooter
« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2014, 05:07:18 PM »
love the idea. please make it work. so i can do it too
2014 Royal Enfield Classic Military
1976 Kawasaki KZ 750
1977 Honda CB 550 SS

eda1bulletc5

• Bulleteer
« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2014, 07:58:13 PM »
Here is the front fork assembly that might work out for C5 (listed as Electra-x disc brake version)
http://www.bulletwala.com/index.php/suspension/fork-parts/front-fork-assly-lh-rh-elecrta-x-disc-brake-super-deal.html#.VHTdt9LF_OM
2011 RE C5

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
« Reply #7 on: November 25, 2014, 08:06:27 PM »
That doesn't have the right bosses to bolt on the C5 front fender.

eda1bulletc5

• Bulleteer
« Reply #8 on: November 26, 2014, 12:37:00 AM »
Hi Scott,
Yes, that is right.
Fender would have to be from a G5 or a universal type. Hitchcock has trial or cafe fender mount meant for Electra.
2011 RE C5

GSS

• Grand Gearhead
« Reply #9 on: Today at 01:49:28 AM »
This looks like a fun project. I have been considering the G5 forks as well. Let us know how it goes and photos please  :)

GSS
2014 GT - Red
2010 C5 - Teal
It's a Jeep thing......