HPRE

Menu

Members Rides

My Bike and a news van

in
Members Rides

82 Guests, 3 Users
Arizoni, solg, Grant Borden
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 29, 2015, 07:41:28 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: 2011 UCE pinging  (Read 2387 times)

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
  • World leaders in performance/racing Bullets
Re: 2011 UCE pinging
« Reply #120 on: Today at 06:39:08 AM »
Some dealers think that it's their job to insulate the manufacturer from warranty claims. For dealers like that, everything is either "normal" or "your fault".

I have understood about Matt's crank problem for a long time. I am sure that other ones have it too, but that doesn't mean it's "normal". It just means that there are other defective ones too.

mattsz

• Grand Gearhead
  • moto-gurdyist
« Reply #121 on: Today at 06:45:48 AM »
In this case, Ace, I really don't think the dealer was acting in that fashion.  The two times I went to them for help, they put a lot of time and effort into investigating my issues, and happily pursued warranty work with one of them.  But "normal" was still the conclusion...

But I have had frustrations with this engine since the beginning:
http://www.enfieldmotorcycles.com/forum/index.php/topic,21796.0.html

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
  • World leaders in performance/racing Bullets
« Reply #122 on: Today at 07:21:39 AM »
In this case, Ace, I really don't think the dealer was acting in that fashion.  The two times I went to them for help, they put a lot of time and effort into investigating my issues, and happily pursued warranty work with one of them.  But "normal" was still the conclusion...

But I have had frustrations with this engine since the beginning:
http://www.enfieldmotorcycles.com/forum/index.php/topic,21796.0.html

Then, he doesn't know what "normal" is. If he did, he wouldn't say it's "normal".

mattsz

• Grand Gearhead
  • moto-gurdyist
« Reply #123 on: Today at 08:15:59 AM »
Then, he doesn't know what "normal" is. If he did, he wouldn't say it's "normal".

That may be, but in this case I don't think he (they) were acting to protect against a warranty claim...

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
« Reply #124 on: Today at 11:45:56 AM »
It may indeed be 'normal' in the sense that lots of RE's do that, that doesn't mean it's designed or supposed to be that way.  If RE is assembling its cranks a little crooked as part of their 'normal' assembly that would explain it but not excuse it.  I could see where a dealer may sincerely believe this is ok.  Few people possess the knowledge that Ace does about these engines in particular.  When he says a crank assembled out of spec could do this, I believe him.  He and Chuma make sure their cranks are aligned and that's the foundation of their engines that can run a bike over the ton and cruise at 80MPH all day long and still last a very long time.  No matter what else you do to the bike, if you don't have that solid foundation you're engine might run great for a short while, but it will quickly go downhill as it shakes itself apart.

Now, will RE acknowledge that and pay to tear an engine apart to see it that's the issue, pay to get a good crank and put it in, all under warranty?  Maybe not.

The fact that there seem to be good bikes and bad bikes, some that run smooth and fast and some that don't, means something is a bit off with manufacture or assembly.  Obviously the factory gets some of them spot on.

Scott

gremlin

• Grand Gearhead
  • "Do one thing each day that scares you"
« Reply #125 on: Today at 02:46:19 PM »
................................... fact that there seem to be good bikes and bad bikes, some that run smooth and fast and some that don't, means something is a bit off with manufacture or assembly.  Obviously the factory gets some of them spot on.

Scott

That is the nature of probability , and quality control.....
1996 Trophy 1200
2011 RE B5
1979 XS11 w/vetter terraplane
1981 XS11 streetfighter
1983 Venture Royale
1982 CB750K
1971 Triumph Trident
1969 CB450
1966 Sears (puch) 250