HPRE

Menu

Members Rides

Front plate

in
Members Rides

43 Guests, 4 Users
rom1967, kodai, GSS, Jellyroll
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
July 24, 2014, 06:03:29 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Oil leak from Primary Chain tensioner  (Read 77 times)

Blairio

• Bulleteer
Oil leak from Primary Chain tensioner
« on: July 23, 2014, 04:44:50 AM »
Hi,

I thought I had a failed gasket on the primary drive cover of my Electra/G5, but on closer inspection the leak is either from the seal between the crankcase and the "auto chain tensioner assembly", or within the assembly itself.

My question is: If I am simply
  • removing the auto chain tensioner assembly
  • renewing the O-ring seal
  • refitting the original assembly (or a new one)

…do I need to remove the primary drive cover atall? Whichever way, I will need to drain and then refill the engine oil.  I just don't see a point in disturbing the primary drive gasket unless I actually have to.

Cheers,

Blairio
2012 Electra EFI Riviera Red
1954 Francis Barnett Falcon 70

Arizoni

• Grand Gearhead
  • "But it's a dry heat here in Arizona
Re: Oil leak from Primary Chain tensioner
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2014, 05:38:23 AM »
IMO, it's highly unlikely the O-rings are at fault.

Have you checked the tightness of the bolts that hold the chain tensioner in place?
They should be torqued to 1 N/M (7.2 ft/lbs, 87 in/lbs).

If the O-ring is leaking, your in luck.  The tensioner body and O-ring are both installed from the outside of the engine case so nothing except them will need to be disturbed.

The tensioner is a spring loaded device with a 1 way ratchet that allows it to extend but not retract (the way I read the Service Manual).  I think removing the center stem will allow it to be reset if it automatically extends when you remove the assembly.  At least that's what the book describes when they are reassembling the engine.

That said, unless your really sure the O-ring is leaking I would just check the units tightness and leave it alone.  With my luck, the spring loaded center would extend too far and not allow me to assemble the damn thing back on the engine.
Jim
2011 G5 Deluxe
1999 Miata 10th Anniversary

Blairio

• Bulleteer
Re: Oil leak from Primary Chain tensioner
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2014, 08:51:03 AM »
Jim,

thanks for your reply. The bolts securing the auto tensioner assembly are nice and tight, and it is almost as if the leak is from the seal between the tensioner body and the bolt which holds in the tensioner 'plunger' in. That one is nice and tight too!  Looking at the Hitchcocks part diagram, the auto tensioner assembly is non-servicable, so I have ordered a new one.  It is only around 14GBP complete. That, and a new 'O' ring for the crankcase / assembly seal, should do the trick ………

Blairio
2012 Electra EFI Riviera Red
1954 Francis Barnett Falcon 70