HPRE

Menu

Members Rides

Seward Park

in
Members Rides

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 02, 2015, 05:11:46 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Frankenbullet  (Read 345 times)

dginfw

• Grease Monkey
Frankenbullet
« on: December 27, 2014, 12:12:49 AM »
I saw this on a facebook post from India; sadly no details or info was given. It appears to be a UCE head and barrel on an iron barrel or AVL bottom and trans.
I'm not crazy about the paint scheme or blacked out bottom end, but I wonder how much -if any- was gained by the top end swap?
Dave in TX:   '01  W650
                    '14 Continental GT-  sold
                    '06 Iron Barrel Bullet

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
  • World leaders in racing or performance Bullets
Re: Frankenbullet
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2014, 12:34:26 AM »
For most intents and purposes, nothing really changed but appearances.
It's an AVL bottom end, BTW.
Internally, the UCE and AVL top ends are very similar, but look different from the outside.

Bullet Whisperer

• Grand Gearhead
« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2014, 10:03:50 AM »
That would be a very good way of being able to try various carbs, cams etc with that type of top end and evaluate it, without the ECU, fuel injection and other limiting factors found on the UCE machines to cause complications  ;)
 B.W.

Adrian II

• Bulleteer
  • No Personal Text Yet
« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2014, 05:27:25 PM »
I gather these engines were first built in India as a response to poor availability of 500 AVL parts. With the right mix of engine internals and close attention to crankcase deck heights a UCE top end ought to fit an iron barrel bottom end as well.

B.W. please note, a future ASBO Bullet could be taking shape on your bench along these lines sooner than you think, compare the visual similarities of the UCE and Redditch Big Head top ends (a deliberate move by RE India) and also the cost of a new Fury head and all the associated bits from Hitchcocks against the cost of a UCE top end.

So much for the budget option, the performance side will have to wait for one of the Ace Cafe solid billet UCE replacement heads.

By the way, did anybody notice that whoever built this engine seems to have managed to get an internal oil feed to the top-end through the AVL crankcase casting? Nice job.

Regards,

Adrian
Grumpy Brit still seeking 500 AVL Bullet perfection! Will let you know if I get anywhere near...

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2014, 06:20:25 PM »
I didn't notice the internal oil feed on that photo until you pointed it out. Interesting!
I would suggest that it would be easier to just route a single external oil line to the threaded hole which normally accepts the oil temp sensor, under the inlet manifold stub.

I actually have a couple of UCE heads here now. One ported with slightly larger valves and Ace beehive valve gear, and one stock.

Regarding the billet head, it will be optimized for 34mm inlet, because that is what is on the GT throttle body. This is for cost containment reasons, to use what is there. However, if there is desire to use a larger carb or bored throttle body, we could adapt to a larger inlet system, and hand port it accordingly.

I have done some calculations with some likely combinations. With a 34mm inlet cross section, and 535cc, realistic expectations for the hp peak rpm would be between 6250-6400 rpm. This is based on flow speed in that port size, and I cannot really get around that without a larger inlet cross sectional area. So, that is going to be the lid on this kit in standard form. I think that is okay, considering street use and that it is a 1500 rpm increase of useful rpm range and power.

Based on our previous work, I expect around 205 cfm out of this 34mm inlet with the projected valve sizes. That should also easily service that displacement and rpm range. The compression increase and improved combustion from the advanced combustion chamber, and the improved area under the flow curve from the ratio roller rockers will help tq and hp significantly.

Basically, the billet head should be a "drop-on" fit for the AVL, with just a few little adjustments like the oil line relocation.  It may need the UCE header pipe too.

I have a couple other ideas up my sleeve for people who want to go further with it. But I think it will hit the sweet spot for most owners, just as it will be presented.

Arizoni

• Grand Gearhead
  • "But it's a dry heat here in Arizona
« Reply #5 on: December 27, 2014, 06:32:22 PM »
While I was typing, you said exactly what I wrote.

The oil temperature sensor port is the ideal place to supply oil to the upper end. :)
Jim
2011 G5 Deluxe
1999 Miata 10th Anniversary

AVL Power!

• Grease Monkey
« Reply #6 on: December 28, 2014, 06:52:16 PM »
People usually swap top ends of UCE because it's very hard to source AVL parts even in India.

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
« Reply #7 on: December 28, 2014, 07:26:33 PM »
People usually swap top ends of UCE because it's very hard to source AVL parts even in India.
Well, maybe it will be a good thing for AVL owners to have access to our billet UCE head kit too.
 :)

AVL Power!

• Grease Monkey
« Reply #8 on: December 29, 2014, 06:41:26 AM »
Well, maybe it will be a good thing for AVL owners to have access to our billet UCE head kit too.
 :)
Very true!  8)