HPRE

Menu

Members Rides

My new baby

in
Members Rides

58 Guests, 2 Users
AgentX, dickim
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2015, 06:56:46 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Electric Conversion  (Read 603 times)

ERC

• Grand Gearhead
Re: Electric Conversion
« Reply #15 on: March 25, 2015, 01:05:06 PM »
Very nice job, what do you think the range will be before a complete recharge on the batteries.  ERC
2-57 Apaches, 2-57 Trailblazers, 60 Chief, 65 Interceptor, 2004 Bullet, 612 Bullet chopped.

Lunchbag

• Neophyte
« Reply #16 on: March 26, 2015, 01:28:00 AM »
Thank you for the many encouraging words.

I have not ridden it since that first ride on Sunday, so I don't know the top speed yet.  Maybe I'll try for it this weekend.  I also may experiment with a larger front sprocket, which could give better range and top speed at the cost of low end acceleration.  I think it will go 65+

I believe I'll get 40+ mile range.  My commute is 17 miles each way, so that would give me a little margin.  I can get efficiency stats (in Wh/mile) from the Cycle Analyst, but I need to do realistic driving in traffic to get a useful range figure.  Which means I should really be working on the lights, signals and horn rather than performance testing.  But when I finally saw the rear wheel turning last weekend, I couldn't help myself!

AmBraCol

• Neophyte
  • Rebelling Against The Rebels
« Reply #17 on: April 25, 2015, 02:31:37 PM »
Wow!  I just stumbled on this post, a month after your last update.  :)  Do you have any further updates on it?  Inquiring minds and all...  ;D

Something that occurred to me while watching, how practical would it be to have a wheel mounted generator to power the lights, horn, etc and thus cut the load on the batteries a bit?  I'm thinking along the lines of one of those old bicycle generators that one used to see powering the headlight. It would have to be a bit beefier than the bicycle ones as the motorcycle headlight, turn signals and such pull a lot more current than the tiny incandescent flashlight bulb those bike headlights used to run. Perhaps you could fit a dedicated battery in the tank along with the circuitry necessary to regulate voltage, etc. and charged by a wheel driven generator.
Paul

High On Octane

• Grand Gearhead
  • Go Fast & Look Good Doing It
« Reply #18 on: April 25, 2015, 02:46:18 PM »
Super awesome!  Just watched the videos last night on a different thread.  Very cool stuff.  I'm curious on the approximate build cost, as I'd like to build something similar in the future.
Scottie J  ~  Bulldog Kustoms Denver  ~  1958 Enfield/Indian Trailblazer - The Blackhawk

Lunchbag

• Neophyte
« Reply #19 on: April 25, 2015, 08:13:46 PM »
A wheel-driven generator could be used to power the lights, but the extra load on the drive system would result in less efficiency than simply powering them electrically through the DC/DC converter.  The DC/DC converter is a beautiful thing, with a capacity of 400W (way more than I need) and rock steady.  It is integrated into the on-board charger, has a very high efficiency and eliminates the need for an extra 12V battery.  It also has switched and unswitched outputs, allowing me to activate the lights and drive system using the original key switch and run switch.

I have a few more stats:
Range:  44 miles (actual commute profile).
Fuel economy:  $0.01 per mile
My acceleration technique was imperfect and I think I can re-do it for better results, but I measured:
0-20: 2.0 sec
0-30: 3.6 sec
0-40: 5.2 sec
0-50: 7.6 sec
0-60: 11.0 sec
Top speed: 70 mph
Weight:  approx 385 lb (bathroom scale method)
Cost of conversion: $4557
I have a few more items to buy to finish it nicely.

I'm building a nice website with detailed information on all the components and the build process.  I'll put a link on this thread when it is presentable.  I will also include detailed parts, material, cost and vendor info on the website.

AmBraCol

• Neophyte
  • Rebelling Against The Rebels
« Reply #20 on: April 26, 2015, 03:29:12 AM »
Thanks for the info.  This is quite different from 'most anything I've ever contemplated before. It fits no need in my current life style, but is fascinating to see anyhow!  :) How long does it take to recharge?
Paul