HPRE

Menu

Members Rides

Custom Woodsman (2009 RE G5 EFI) by Hammarhead Industries

in
Members Rides

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
August 28, 2014, 11:16:12 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: should you seal a new tank ?  (Read 155 times)

guss,guss

• Bulleteer
should you seal a new tank ?
« on: August 19, 2014, 09:52:19 PM »
what do you think?
 it would be the best time to do it. or, not worth the trouble, a new tank should last 20+ years.

i think i am, therefore, i must be.

c1skout

• Grease Monkey
Re: should you seal a new tank ?
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2014, 03:54:37 PM »
If I had a new tank that was bare metal I would take it to the radiator shop for some red-kote. But if for some reason I didn't do that I wouldn't be too concerned, just keep it topped up with gas.

High On Octane

• Grand Gearhead
  • Go Fast & Look Good Doing It
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2014, 04:01:46 PM »
Well, it's not a BAD idea, but it isn't necessary either.  My tank had 25+ years of crap-tastic-ness in it.  I used Evapo-Rust and rinsed it with gasoline, put new petcocks and filters on and called it good.  Fuel is petroleum based so it naturally keeps it from rusting.  It's when the bike sits for long periods of time with little or no fuel that problems start to occur.
Bulldog Kustoms - Denver, CO
Specializing In Kustom Paint

The Blackhawk
1958 Enfield/Indian 711cc Twin

Building the 1st EVER Supercharged RE Twin
FULL RACE motor with ACE Performance

motorman2whel

• Neophyte
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2014, 10:14:54 PM »
I'm new to Enfields but not bikes. I've been working on my own since I was 10 (now 55) 30+ yrs as a pro mech, 15+ on Jap bikes. I agree with H.O. octane, coatings are more of a repair to a rust problem than a preventive treatment . Plus the tank has to be thoroughly cleaned & the rust treated before coating. So if your new tank isn't rusted Id say no... But depending on where you live most new fuels at the pump have methanol, ethanol, or some form of alcohol in them and that is very corrosive to most metals. I use a fuel additive that is made to prevent that corrosion from happening, with every fill-up I add it. The one I use removes & prevents carbon build up too. Its called Engine Med RX and is carried by Yamaha dealers. I have used it in all my bikes & garden equipment & it works great. Its about 3.00$ for a bottle that treats 5 us gallons .

ERC

• Grand Gearhead
« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2014, 11:03:53 PM »
Pressure test it first to see if it leaks. That's the main concern with "new" tanks.   ERC
2-57 Apaches, 2-57 Trailblazers, 60 Chief, 65 Interceptor, 2004 Bullet, 612 Bullet chopped.

AgentX

• Grand Gearhead
« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2014, 06:59:47 AM »
I wouldn't, but I'd get it pressure-tested.

Downsides include possible peeling of the coat while it's in your tank, which has been a nightmare for the people it's happened to that I know.   You can blame poor application, but in any case, it does happen and it remains a possibility.  And I don't see much of an upside to coating a tank that actually holds gas and remains in regular use.