HPRE

Menu

Members Rides

Spot #2

in
Members Rides

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
October 01, 2014, 04:39:12 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: front wheel axle question  (Read 345 times)

JordanMix

• Bulleteer
front wheel axle question
« on: March 27, 2012, 04:47:09 PM »
1999 Bullet Classic 500

I have removed the whole front axle assembly from the wheel which was necessary to replace the wheel bearings.

My question is, when reassembling the axle and tightening down the axle nuts (both on the spedo drive and break side) how tight do you want to go? Should I be tightening down both nuts until they bottom out and run out of threads? This seems like it is not possible as I tried to do this and ended up cracking the plastic spedo drive.

If you install seal bearing, do you still need to put the felt retains back on the outside of the bearings? I would assume at this point they are solely to fill the void area.

Thank you,

Jordan Mix

ERC

• Grand Gearhead
Re: front wheel axle question
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2012, 06:52:07 PM »
If you don't use the felt seals you also leave out the spacer that holds the felt in place. I'm suprised you could tighten the axle nuts enough to break the speedo drive . It has a bronze bushing in it to take the strain of tightening the nuts. They should be reasonably tight.  ERC
2-57 Apaches, 2-57 Trailblazers, 60 Chief, 65 Interceptor, 2004 Bullet, 612 Bullet chopped.

matthewreichlin

• Neophyte
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2014, 06:28:04 AM »
Anybody?  I have the same problem.  They seemed snug when removing.  But if i tighten them they l9ck the brake plate and speedo to the axle.  It seems they are designed to be loose and slide along the bushings.  Is that right?  Seems like it will just wear out.

matthewreichlin

• Neophyte
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2014, 08:49:36 PM »
Whoops. I feel stupid.  27 years of working on bikes and cars, and I made a silly mistake in regards to which parts turn and which stay in place. So, disregard my last post. But to address original question, my guess would be that you did not have the two tabs on the wheel set into the two slots on the speedo thing, so it was about a quarter inch further out from where it should be seated.  So when you put pressure on it, it cracked.  I just did mine and you can set the bolts down as snug as you can get them, using normal torque feel you would with any nuts.  My bike seems to have the sealed washers already in it.  But it still had the felt. Don't know if that was factory or the first owner who put in the sealed.  But I imagine that even with sealed, the felt can still keep out dirt and dust, which is always a good thing.  So I see no reason not to replace them.