HPRE

Menu

Members Rides

Red C5

in
Members Rides

50 Guests, 3 Users (1 Hidden)
kiwihintz, bluesdaddy2
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
October 20, 2014, 09:50:39 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Ouch tipped her over!  (Read 161 times)

Hutch2

• Neophyte
Ouch tipped her over!
« on: September 21, 2014, 11:11:48 PM »
 Drove it to work and back for the first time because I've been able to get her kick started after a few tries instead of a long painful  workout. Thought to myself "Pride goeth before the fall" so betta be careful and then there went that pride! Starting out turning sharp left to get off my garage slab onto the driveway thinking "quit riding the clutch" so I let out the clutch fast the bike died and fell over on me all in a nanosecond. Ouch! Not the exact verbiage as I slammed into the pavement luckily tucking in my left arm not breaking it trying to break my fall. The helmet helped out too. Had to use my right foot to push the bike off my left leg. Gas spilling out the kid and could see it running out the carburetor line too. Got it up by putting my back into it from a squat to standing it up. Put down the side kick stand and of course it wasn't all the way out so the bike fell over again! Got it back up - twisted my right knee in the whole process. Ouch! Besides my left leg the saddlebags took the brunt of the fall except for snapping off the end if the clutch handle.
There's no crying in motorcycles so I started her up and went for a long ride. Everything seemed to be running fine so came home to nurse my wounds.
Next day went for a ride - husband had to kick start it because my kicker keg knee hurts when I go through that motion (of course he wasn't home when I tipped if over the day before).
She died at the first 2 stop signs, something never happening before! It happened with a popping sound and upon kicking it over to start again, a puff of smoke out the right side (from the carburetor I think).
So I kept it revved up at all other stops making sure I didn't kill it again. Beautiful 60 mile ride though and now she's back home in the garage.
I drained the breather catch can and hardly any oil in there.
Can't see anything looking screwy. It ran beautifully right after tipping it so why the problems the next day??????
Ouch!
2000 Bullet 500
1983 Yamaha 750 Midnight Maxim

mrunderhill1975a

• Grand Gearhead
Re: Ouch tipped her over!
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2014, 01:42:44 AM »
I don't know for sure, perhaps oil seeped into the sump while on it's side. This caused wet sumping. Or fuel may have flowed from float bowl directly into intake & flooded.

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
  • World leaders in racing or performance Bullets
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2014, 02:42:21 AM »
Give a good inspection to the areas around the carburetor, especially the rubber connector hose between the carb and the engine. This often gets little cracks or tears or splits in it from the modern gasoline, and then it affects the running like you describe.
If it is bad, replace it with a suitable length of 1.25" I.D. heavy duty radiator hose from the auto parts store, and 2 good stainless steel hose clamps.
Home of the ACE Fireball 535 Bullet,  Ace GP Hi-Lift Roller Rocker Head . Pistons, cams, etc. Highest performance Bullet engine mods available .  AVL mods. Redditch 700/750 Twin mods. UCE kit soon.

Please visit my new website:
http://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/AcePerformanceBullets/info

motorman2whel

• Bulleteer
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2014, 08:47:41 AM »
Sorry to hear about your misfortune & twisted knee, at least it was at home & not at a crowded intersection or parking lot  :-[. If its not the intake rubber leaking vacuum, it could be the tip over stirred up some sediment, gunk or water from the bottom of the carb float bowl  & sucked it into the idle jet. So it might need the carb drained or a minor carb cleaning .

Hutch2

• Neophyte
« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2014, 05:52:10 AM »
Okay thanks everyone! I'll take a look at the things you mentioned. I has given it a once over look and didn't see anything jump out at me so your specifics will help.
2000 Bullet 500
1983 Yamaha 750 Midnight Maxim