HPRE

Menu

Members Rides

Nigel the wonder dog supervising my backing up skills

in
Members Rides

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 05, 2015, 04:15:52 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Bullet 500 Classic outer transmission cover  (Read 1826 times)

cochi

• Grease Monkey
Bullet 500 Classic outer transmission cover
« on: September 26, 2007, 08:45:13 PM »
I am the proud owner of an 03 Bullet 500 classic. A couple of months ago  while changing the clutch cable  I noticed an outward deflection of the outer cover as I depressed the clutch handle. The only mod I've done was the replacement of three stock  springs with 3 of the heavy duty ones. Clutch seems to work OK

Leonard

• Grand Gearhead
  • I love this bike!!
Re: Bullet 500 Classic outer transmission cover
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2007, 09:00:38 PM »
  From what I have read in other forums that is normal for the 4-speeds.  I have a 5-speed and have never seen the outer cover move.  Unless you see a crack developing I would think that you are OK.
  Perhaps someone with first hand knowledge can jump in......Leonard

I am the proud owner of an 03 Bullet 500 classic. A couple of months ago while changing the clutch cable I noticed an outward deflection of the outer cover as I depressed the clutch handle. The only mod I've done was the replacement of three stock springs with 3 of the heavy duty ones. Clutch seems to work OK
2009 Triumph Bonneville T100
2004 Royal Enfield Sixty-5 (RIP)
2001 Kawasaki W650 (going, going...gone)
http://www.romeoriders.com

Spitting Bull

• Grand Gearhead
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2007, 10:58:33 PM »
Not much help perhaps, but here's my observation.  I have a 350 cc classic with the standard clutch setup and 4-speed box.  I've never seen the primary drive cover move, but to be honest I have never looked at it while changing gear.  I just went into the garage and couldn't see any movement when I pulled the clutch in.  I put my hand on the cover and tried again, but couldn't feel any movement either.  Having taken that cover off and looked at the inside of it in the past, I can't see how it could move unless the clutch assembly was touching it.  To make that thickness of metal move it would have to be touching it with quite a bit of pressure and would make a lot of noise.

Or am I missing something?

Tom
One cylinder is enough for anyone.

krodaddy

• Neophyte
« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2007, 01:11:24 AM »
Is the transmission cover or the primary drive cover moving?
I just went out and looked at my 02 4 speed and yes indeed the transmission cover on the right side does flex when the clutch lever is operated.
« Last Edit: September 27, 2007, 01:15:45 AM by krodaddy »
Krodaddy

Kevin Mahoney

• Administrator
  • Grand Gearhead
« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2007, 03:24:16 AM »
This flexing while a bit unerving is normal.

Spitting Bull

• Grand Gearhead
« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2007, 07:33:43 AM »
My mistake, folks.  Put it down to language differences.  Transmission Cover (US) = Gearbox Cover (UK) right?  I just looked again and mine does move.  I didn't know that and it's rather strange to see!

Tom
One cylinder is enough for anyone.

cochi

• Grease Monkey
« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2007, 05:30:00 PM »
Thanks for the feed back on the transmission cover.  Just as a thought , perhaps  one of the reasons some clutches drag is because the movement of the outer tranny case decreases the amount cluch rod travel leaving the clutch partially engaged.