HPRE

Menu

Members Rides

'79 Enfield India Bullet 350 (Jan 2010)

in
Members Rides

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
October 22, 2014, 09:42:16 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Kevin, parts problem  (Read 3573 times)

hutch

• Grease Monkey
  • Til death do us part
Kevin, parts problem
« on: January 07, 2008, 10:36:41 PM »
Kevin, I ordered a stainless steel tank rack(Z92034) 4+ months ago , out of the 2007 parts catalog, and the dealer hasn't got it yet. It is made in the U.S., so I was wondering what gives?   Hutch
You learn from your mistakes, and I have LEARNED a lot.

Leonard

• Grand Gearhead
  • I love this bike!!
Re: Kevin, parts problem
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2008, 11:10:54 PM »
Give'em a call at 1-800-201-7472 and I'm sure they will tell you.  I would imagine the parts guys know more about it than Kevin does.

Kevin, I ordered a stainless steel tank rack(Z92034) 4+ months ago , out of the 2007 parts catalog, and the dealer hasn't got it yet. It is made in the U.S., so I was wondering what gives?   Hutch
2009 Triumph Bonneville T100
2004 Royal Enfield Sixty-5 (RIP)
2001 Kawasaki W650 (going, going...gone)
http://www.romeoriders.com

Kevin Mahoney

• Administrator
  • Grand Gearhead
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2008, 08:54:50 PM »
Everyone knows more about what's going on here than I do. The tank rack is an interesting but tragic story. They were made in the US. We purchased quite a few from a fellow a few years ago. We had about $79 in them and offered them for $99. They didn't sell at all. After a year we lowered the price quite a bit to move them, actually below our cost as I remember. We were running low this summer and I sent an e-mail to the fellow who made them for us. I didn't hear from him for quite a while and then got an e-mail from his wife. She said that he had been working in his shop and blew himself and the shop up. I didn't have the nerve to ask anymore questions. We then had to find a new source. We did find one in India. The new ones are chrome and really look good. We also got some in Black Powder coat. We also shortened them just slightly so that they will fit on the flip top cap tanks better,
We got a price that allows us to keep the price where it was so everyone except the poor original manufacturer wins. They just came in this week and I am guessing that yours went out. Because the catalog is in print they do not match the description anymore. If you don't like yours (which I doubt), rest assured that we will take it back including your postage happily.

hutch

• Grease Monkey
  • Til death do us part
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2008, 08:06:49 PM »
Thank you for the info Kevin. My dealer just called to tell me the rack was in. I haven't seen it yet or know the price yet, do to the fact that the charge card company called just before that to tell me that someone tried to use my card number online with the wrong expiration date to make a purchase. Card has been cancelled and it will be 2 weeks before I get a new one. Always something. Oh well, at least they caught it and called me.  Thanks again, and I will see if I like the new rack when I get the new card.   Hutch

hutch

• Grease Monkey
  • Til death do us part
« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2008, 10:48:28 PM »
Kevin, got my tank rack today and love it. It is stainless and not chrome, I am glad of that, because it went on my Kawasaki W650, and I had to bend it to contour to the tank, ever so slightly. Thanks again!!!!.     Hutch

chris-bartlett

• Bulleteer
« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2012, 07:37:58 PM »
Anybody having trouble with their tank rack suction cups not holding? I ordered some new ones recently and I can get them to hold until I start rumbling down the road and they either vibrate loose or slide off. Anyone use an adhesive?

Arizoni

• Grand Gearhead
  • "But it's a dry heat here in Arizona
« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2012, 09:06:46 PM »
I might try something like a very light coating of vegetable style of cooking oil on the rubber cups to help them maintain their seal.

I wouldn't use a petroleum based oil because it might soften the paint.

Likewise, I wouldn't use an adhesive that would bond to the paint or become impossible to remove.

A RTV style of silicone rubber might work and its pretty easy to peel off of most things but most of them do create acetic acid (the vinegar smell) and it might be harmful to the paint.
Jim
2011 G5 Deluxe
1999 Miata 10th Anniversary

Kevin Mahoney

• Administrator
  • Grand Gearhead
« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2012, 09:57:40 PM »
I have checked with Tim and this is the first complaint that we have gotten on this. I would try something to wet them as well (spit) and see what happens. Keep up posted

Eck

• Neophyte
« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2012, 01:01:45 AM »
FYI I just purchased the rack, I have a chrome tank with a decal running down the top of the tank. The lower suction cups will not stick due to the fact that they line up half on the decal and half off. There is not enough room to move the rack up or down so the cups are completely on or off the decal.  I'm trying to come up with fix.

Eck
2008 Bullet