HPRE

Menu

Members Rides

New 350 cc

in
Members Rides

39 Guests, 2 Users
B5 Ben, dampking
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
October 25, 2014, 05:54:08 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Got my Radon Speedometer  (Read 4667 times)

Geirskogul

• Grand Gearhead
  • The world isn't beautiful, therefore it is.
Got my Radon Speedometer
« on: September 12, 2010, 01:33:15 AM »
After many months of waiting, my Radon Speedometer unit arrived.  There was a thread awhile back about the aftermarket speedometer from PhiTesla, but here are a few pictures and a few thoughts on my installation.  This will probably be spit between a few posts, due to picture limits.

The box of parts pictured here is after I opened the items and inspected the package.  The box itself was in pretty bad shape, as it had been opened by DHL customs in Seattle, but the items inside were in perfect condition.  There are four plugs on the back of the unit, one for each main function, and each separate connection was in it's own zip-top bag.  The unit itself came with four "faceplates;" the stock chromed plastic faceplate, and three anodized aluminum plates in gold, blue, and red.  I chose the gold one as it looked the most "militaryish" of them all. 

Now, I had a feeling that I'd have to be doing some deep wiring, so the first step was to remove the tank...
All hail Sir Lucas, Prince of Darkness.

When an idiot thinks it's the same as not thinking at all!

Geirskogul

• Grand Gearhead
Re: Got my Radon Speedometer
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2010, 01:46:14 AM »
And of course, to remove the tank, you've got to remove the seat.  You can also see my stock speedometer that has given me a very faithful 2,398 miles of service. 

After the seat and the gas tank comes the headlight.  Not like I haven't done this before, bwa ha ha!  Pretty simple stuff so far.

Geirskogul

• Grand Gearhead
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2010, 01:49:43 AM »
Yeah, Headlight!  We meet again.

Geirskogul

• Grand Gearhead
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2010, 01:54:57 AM »
Now here's the heart of the matter.  The Radon itself is a pretty sexy unit, especially with the gold-orange trim.  It didn't come with instructions itself, but their website has a .pdf for it.  I discovered that you want to PRINT THIS OUT - installation is pretty simple, but not exactly self-explanatory.  It doesn't help that three of the four plugs are identical, that could allow you to mix them up and actually damage the unit.

Geirskogul

• Grand Gearhead
« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2010, 02:23:55 AM »
Now that the bike is naked, the hard part comes in.  WIRING!  Let me tell you, I just spent a full four hours (two because I was being an idiot) doing the wiring.  It's really the only weak part of the whole setup and installation.

What the instructions want you to do is, essentially, run wires all over the bike in a super-complicated manner:

First, they want you to run a 12v power and ground all the way back to the battery, and hook a third wire into the ignition to activate a relay.  Screw this, I ripped out the relay (why is there that relay?) and hooked the +12v to the ignition wire.  The wire for the key can handle more than enough current for the speedometer (about 350mA at full tilt).  Saved a bit of time on that one.

Then, they want you to disconnect the neutral light and the neutral switch, and run a new wire from the switch to the Radon.  This, again, is not necessary.  I just snipped off the neutral light from the stock speedo and used the +pos from it to activate the Radon.  Much easier.  They pull the same trick with the high beam indicator, wanting you to splice into the actual high beam wire from the bulb.  I again snipped off the high beam bulb from the stock speedo and used it's +pos for the Radon.   

(As an aside, I could not pull this trick for a third time for the turn signal indicators.  The Radon has two indicators, one for each side, that are actually spliced right at the plug into one wire, to activate the turn signal bulb.  I couldn't connect one or the other to the old, stock turn signal light, as the turn signal bulb in the stock speedometer changes polarity depending on which direction you are indicating.  I know, confused me too.  Instead of running to the rear turn signals as the manual instructs, though, I just spliced in to the front turn signals.)

Kevin Mahoney

• Administrator
  • Grand Gearhead
« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2010, 02:31:34 AM »
You did a great job with the wiring. You are spot on with the decisions you made. I have always felt that some of the RE wiring was more complicated than it needs to be, but no one ever asked me. I have talked to these people on and off for a while about carrying these, but felt that the installation might be too tough for a lot of people. Will be interested to see how it turns out.

Geirskogul

• Grand Gearhead
« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2010, 03:11:49 AM »
The Radon also has a thermometer and tachometer.  The only wire I did have to run to the back was the tach wire.  It's a tiny white wire wrapped in shielding.  It runs back along the spine of the bike and is supposed to splice into one of the wires off of the CDI unit.  Through trial-and-error I figured out it was the white wire coming off of the four-wire central connector.  This was also after a trial of actually figuring out which wire to use, as it came in the bag with the shielding longer and completely hiding the inner white wire, so I was trying to use the shielding itself because I didn't know there was the inner one.  All the instructions reference is a white wire, and the tach wire shielding has a clear insulator, so that's what I thought they were talking about for awhile.  Only a little frustrating.

The speedometer part of the radon, perhaps the most important part (gasp!) runs off of two magnets and a pickup, with the two magnets attached to the front wheel opposite of each other and the pickup bolted to a bracket on the RH fork leg.  The drum of the front brake itself isn't actually ferrous, so I had to glue them on with some JB Weld, but that's easy enough (fun fact: JB Weld is magnetic!).  The bracket for the pickup is also easy to connect, with only two bolts and a rubberized coating to keep it secure without marring the fork leg.

The Radon is set for kilometers/hour, and has you input your wheel's circumference in centimeters in it's settings page.  Now, I want miles per hour, so I took the measurement from the wheel (207 cm) and divided it by 1.6 (129) and put that number in the Radon for circumference to get what I wanted.  I did round up in the division step, as I'd rather have a slightly optimistic speedometer than a pessimistic one.  I'd almost guarantee that it's still more accurate than the stock speedo :)

Geirskogul

• Grand Gearhead
« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2010, 03:32:38 AM »
A few more pictures and some final first-day thoughts:

The build quality on the Radon unit itself is excellent, and everything fits the stock casquette and speedometer hole without any issues.  You do HAVE to re-route your throttle and front brake cables out of the nacelle, but in the end that's an easier solution when it comes to replacement time.  For you 7-inchers  out there (headlights! not...y'know...), you'll be happy to know that the Radon leaves more room for the headlight pins, as the wiring and plugs sit about an inch further back than the always-in-the-way speedometer cable.  

After demuxing the manual, hooking up the Radon can actually go pretty quickly, and that's the problem.  Even though the manual is written in proper English, with few or no misspellings, those eight pages have a very difficult time getting their point across.  If I would have known WHY they wanted the neutral bulb +12v connection disconnected, I wouldn't have spent an hour trying to figure out how to hook it up, or if they pointed out that the stock turn signal bulb switched polarities I wouldn't have tried to start a small fire in the casquette when I hooked it up, and instead done what the instructions, for the first time, correctly instructed.

A revamped manual that makes use of the already-existing connections for the stock speedometer would save a lot of time and make this a fairly easy project.  Now that I've installed one of these, I think it could be something that a dealer could do in an hour.  Heck, with a fairly simple "custom" connector that goes between the Radon and the stock speedometer connector, this whole thing would only take two wires, the tachometer wire and the +12V wire (which could be taken from the ammeter, done and done!).  That would drop project time down to ten minutes, with five minutes allotted for removing the headlight and seat.  The product itself is, especially with it's Trip Meter function, a practical godsend if the stock instruments leave you wanting.  I don't think fit and finish could be better.  However, know that it will take a little bit of thinking if you're jumping in headfirst, like me.  For the asking price (something like $200 if you include shipping, the unit itself is only a hair abouve $100) it's a pretty good deal, and custom made for the Enfield.  

Quick question - what would be a good shifting RPM to set?  I've put 3,500 in the Radon, but I've found that in normal driving I almost never hit that.  I thought that 5,000 RPM was the max RPM, so 4,000 RPM would be achieved normally?
« Last Edit: September 12, 2010, 03:43:31 AM by Geirskogul »

chumma7

• Bulleteer
« Reply #8 on: September 12, 2010, 04:03:37 AM »
This is an understatement but great writeup and great work with that casquette wiring! I've been curious about this unit since the first time i saw a youtube video of it.  It looks even better than i thought it did then. Keep us updated on how it works for you in day to day use. I'm looking forward to using it in a future build.
About the shift light. If you want to have it at redline, I'd set it to 5200. If you want torque peak then 3k should do thought its been a while since I've seen an avl's dyno chart.  Driving the bike and getting used to how it feels at various rpms should tell you where you want it.

ACE Fireball 001

luoma

• Grand Gearhead
« Reply #9 on: September 12, 2010, 04:01:39 PM »
Great job. Although not exactly retro, it looks pretty good. I have had so much trouble with my speedo, I may follow suit. I'll use your directions however, as I hate overly complicated wiring.

Leonard

• Grand Gearhead
  • I love this bike!!
« Reply #10 on: September 12, 2010, 07:51:14 PM »
The Radon also has a thermometer and tachometer. 

Great write up.  Were you able to do anything with the thermometer or did I miss it?
2009 Triumph Bonneville T100
2004 Royal Enfield Sixty-5 (RIP)
2001 Kawasaki W650 (going, going...gone)
http://www.romeoriders.com

Geirskogul

• Grand Gearhead
« Reply #11 on: September 12, 2010, 09:17:00 PM »
Oh, it's magnetic so I threw it on the middle drain bolt.  Because it's on the drain bolt and it has a magnet on it's tip, though, it takes awhile to read the actual engine temperature.

Geirskogul

• Grand Gearhead
« Reply #12 on: September 26, 2010, 02:45:24 AM »
It seems like the speedometer sensor wire was faulty, as for the past few days the speedometer would randomly show that I was going "35, 48, 98, 11, 164" mph etc, then reset to normal with a bump.  Probably an internal short in the wire that happened at certain times or temperatures.  I spent this afternoon replacing the wire (20 minutes if you know what you're doing, and not watching any television.  90 minutes if Top Gear is on the television ;) ) and all is better again. 

Wires do that every now and again, no fault of the Radon.  I did route the wiring a funny way.

DavidMeermans

• Neophyte
« Reply #13 on: January 16, 2011, 10:37:29 PM »
Very nice!  I do miss a tach and this looks like a great package. 

Another way to convert the dual-feed turn signal indicator into a single feed is to use a couple of diodes.  I did that to add a turn signal buzzer.

Regards,

Dave M

luoma

• Grand Gearhead
« Reply #14 on: January 16, 2011, 10:40:09 PM »
I hope CMW starts carrying this nifty little item in their catelog. I'd like to have one.