HPRE

Menu

Members Rides

Royal Enfield Bullet 500 1993 inspired by Bullet Electra Red

in
Members Rides

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
October 30, 2014, 04:57:14 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: neutral light  (Read 763 times)

donatelos

• Scooter
neutral light
« on: December 20, 2010, 07:58:13 PM »
Hi all, had my c5 classic a few weeks now and have been very carefull with  the run in however as I am just on the first oil change the neutral light has gone tempremental  with intermmitent working and now not at all and as anything electrical is weird science to  me I was wondering if any of you gentlemen can clue me into a fix,my dealer is many miles away and as you may know the UK is in the grip of a blizzard winter so riding anywhere far is out of the question for now,thanks all .Don
life is not a rehersal  theres no second chance  so don't hurt anyone  and follow your dreams

r80rt

• C5 Pilot
  • Grand Gearhead
  • R.I.P Papa Juan, Uncle Ernie
Re: neutral light
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2010, 08:10:29 PM »
Check the bulb first.
On the eighth day God created the C5, and it was better looking than anything on the planet.
Iron Butt Association

donatelos

• Scooter
« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2010, 08:59:45 PM »
yep did that early on,no go ,is there a switch connection or joint coneliction someplace,Ta
life is not a rehersal  theres no second chance  so don't hurt anyone  and follow your dreams

ScooterBob

• Grand Gearhead
  • Yeah - I get it ....
« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2010, 09:30:11 PM »
I've come across a few of the earlier-type (with the Lucar connector) that were open at the switch where the wire goes into the potting. I think this was due to the wire insulation being somewhat stiff and the potting being on the bare wire, rather than the insulation. If the bulb is good - just get a newer-style switch for it and call it done, I'd say ......
Spare the pig iron - spoil the part!

enfield freddy

• Grand Gearhead
  • old man riding an old bike
« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2010, 10:28:03 PM »
not sure about this (bob will verify) , when the wire (single) is earthed , thru the switch , the light will come on , thereore if you disconnect the wire from the switch and earth it the light should come on

if the light comes on then the switch is either faulty and a call to watsonion should get you a replacement under warrenty

bob , are they single terminal , and screw in?
arthritis hurts at my age!

ScooterBob

• Grand Gearhead
  • Yeah - I get it ....
« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2010, 01:27:13 AM »
not sure about this (bob will verify) , when the wire (single) is earthed , thru the switch , the light will come on , thereore if you disconnect the wire from the switch and earth it the light should come on

if the light comes on then the switch is either faulty and a call to watsonion should get you a replacement under warrenty

bob , are they single terminal , and screw in?
Correct, correct and correct!

donatelos

• Scooter
« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2010, 09:20:32 PM »
sorry but yet another dumb question ,where is the switch housed, I assume somewhere near the gearbox? if so what do I need to get at it or am I completley on the wrong track.Don

ScooterBob

• Grand Gearhead
  • Yeah - I get it ....
« Reply #7 on: December 21, 2010, 10:55:33 PM »
sorry but yet another dumb question ,where is the switch housed, I assume somewhere near the gearbox? if so what do I need to get at it or am I completley on the wrong track.Don

If you look at the right side of the bike on the top of the engine case, a little towards the middle and behind the starter, you'll see it. I think it uses a 17mm wrench to unscrew it - but it's likely just a little more than finger tight as it is plastic .....

donatelos

• Scooter
« Reply #8 on: December 23, 2010, 04:03:07 PM »
Thanks all,once the ice an snow decides to clear from my garage I will investigate further armed with your advice and hopefully can play on my bike again.my pal looked  the c5 over and is impressed to the point wants a ride with the veiw to buying so thats the second convert in a month I've made not bad eh :)

Sub

• Bob's Your Uncle
  • Grease Monkey
  • 2010 Black Bullet C5
« Reply #9 on: April 17, 2011, 08:54:29 PM »
Did you ever figure this out? I have the same issue.