Menu

Members Rides

Geichals' Bull

in
Members Rides

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 16, 2014, 08:17:50 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Crash bars  (Read 3170 times)

AgentX

• Grand Gearhead
Crash bars
« on: January 31, 2011, 09:53:34 AM »
Yea or nay?

Bike came with them, prefer the look without them.  Do they offer any actual protection for either bike or rider in the event of a minor accident (slide)?

Consensus on the road in India is a resounding yes, but I don't much take to heart the advice of the average Indian driver...guess they couldn't hurt to have on, though...

singhg5

• Grand Gearhead
Re: Crash bars
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2011, 10:09:18 AM »
They set the boundary for other people as to how close they can safely walk past you and your motorcycle.  If you take them off, your knees will be bumping against the bicyclist and pedestrian brushing past your motorcycle in crowded streets  :D.

They are not accident-proof when riding at a speed, but useful at slow speed in the narrow streets of old Delhi.  Also, they can offer some protection if your motorcycle falls while it is parked on side stand.  
« Last Edit: January 31, 2011, 10:26:40 AM by singhg5 »
1970's Jawa /  Yezdi
2006 Honda Nighthawk
2009 Royal Enfield Black G5

MDLNB

• Scooter
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2011, 09:14:30 AM »
I realize this is re-opening an old topic, but if you are still in India I thought I might add my two cents....or rupees.

I lived in New Delhi for two years and drove the Enfield I still own, 1968 rebuild. I had crash bars on mine and on more than one occasion they saved my butt.  I have had dogs run into me, goats glance off of me and on a round about in the center of the city, I had a car cut into me putting a nice size dent in his rear quarter panel, and only a bit of white paint on my crash bar. That was a close call, but I kept the rubber on the ground. Driving in India is nothing like driving anywhere else in the world (and I have been around). Never allow another driver to notice you glancing toward them or they will take that as permission to cut you off. Never let them know you are going to move into their lane or they will crowd you. Also, lane markings don't matter in India. When you come to a light, just move on up to the front if there is space. If you don't, someone else will. And most of all, DO NOT look at any monkeys you might see at a stop light, because they will attack you and try to steal your watch or anything else they think they can wrestle from you.

India brings back good memories. Some of us went riding every weekend, just to get out of the city. I am retired now, but one of my friends still drops by when back in the good ole U.S. of A.  We plan to make a trip by bike from the U.S. to Panama when he retires in two years. Maybe............

GSS

• Grand Gearhead
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2011, 11:12:44 PM »
Crash bars in India? Absolutely a big YES. They will save your legs and knees from the 6 other vehicles trying to "share" your lane.

In addition it makes it look like a "real Indian Bullet". I threw some on my C5 in tropical MN just to have some place to mount a couple of lights.
2014 GT - Red
2010 C5 - Teal
It's a Jeep thing......you wouldn't understand.

REpozer

• Grand Poobah of
  • Grand Gearhead
« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2011, 12:23:48 AM »
Seriously, you are making me wish I worked and rode in India.

Yes, I would keep the crash bars.
2008 AVL Classic Bullet in British Racing Green
REA # 84 ( the first time)

Ice

• Hypercafienated
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Ride In Paradise Cabo, Don and Ernie
« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2011, 12:39:31 AM »
There is a reason why both of my street bikes have them.

That and they save damage when laying a Bike on its side to remove a tire for puncture repair.
I can break it better,,,,at night, in the rain, on the trail,, 20 miles from nowhere.

REA #136

"TIMEX", the '06 Iron Barrel Military...it takes me everywhere I want to go... and some places I shouldn't.

Andy

• Grand Gearhead
« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2011, 02:01:14 AM »
Yea or nay?

Bike came with them, prefer the look without them.  Do they offer any actual protection for either bike or rider in the event of a minor accident (slide)?

Consensus on the road in India is a resounding yes, but I don't much take to heart the advice of the average Indian driver...guess they couldn't hurt to have on, though...

I have lowsided twice now on the right-hand side, both times at relatively low speeds.  Here is the list of damages the bike has suffered in total from both slides:

First crash:

Stock (short) chrome mirror rashed.  Replaced it with a longer (black) unit.
Bar end rashed.  Sanded out the gouges and repainted with "EZ Liner" truck bed liner.
Right footpeg bent.  Bent it back almost where it should be.
Slight paint chipping on the very tip of the front fender.
Rear brake pedal bent up a little bit.
Front brake lever rashed.  Sanded out smooth again.

Second crash.

Bar end rashed again.
Right footpeg bent.  Needs replacement for sure this time.
Handlebars bent and need replacement.
Scrape near the end of the muffler.  Muffler will need refinishing at some point.
Rear brake pedal bent up a little bit again.
Front brake lever broken and required replacement.

That's it.  In both cases the bike was back on the road and looking none the worse for wear within a day.  I'm AMAZED that the tank escaped both times without so much as a scratch.  The footpeg acts like a factory-installed frame-slider and keeps your precious engine off the road.

Now keep in mind these were low-speed incidents. 

After the first incident I installed a set of crash bars, but they actually cracked after about 5,000 km from vibration.  I do intend to get another set on there, though. 
2010 C5 Military - "The Slug"

GreenMachine

• Grand Gearhead
« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2011, 09:55:36 AM »
u guys have me thinking about getting then for the enfield..They're not that exspensive on the CMW website. I have a lindy setup on my yamaha ...It gives me a sense of security and a spot to forward  stretch my  legs with the additional foldup/down  pegs that I installed...Extra spot to place lights if u want too..
Oh Magoo you done it again

kauai1800

• Bulleteer
« Reply #8 on: June 05, 2011, 12:44:10 PM »
Interesting to read these comments. I've seen the videos of India traffic and I can see why you'd want them.

I like the "Air Fly' style crash bars a lot. Plus I like the way our Indian bruddahs add on massive horns and lights.
'05 Royal Enfield Deluxe
'64 Volvo 1800S

Maturin

• Grand Gearhead
  • My Precious
« Reply #9 on: July 05, 2011, 05:24:30 PM »
No crash bars. Useless weight to carry around, when the shit hits the van you´ll wreck your engine even with them attached. If you´re lucky enough, you won´t need them.
They spoil the look, too. Err, I intended to add ace bars!
Nay I say, ain´t no good.
2010 G5
A Garage without a Bullet is a empty, barren hole.

When acellerating the tears of emotion must flow off horizontally to the ears.
Walter Röhrl

hillntx

• Shriner Bulleteer
  • Grease Monkey
  • 2011 C5 Classic
« Reply #10 on: March 31, 2012, 08:16:29 PM »
When you consider the cost of replacing the fuel tank, a crash bar/engine guard is a small investment.

Lwt Big Cheese

• Grand Gearhead
  • Getting there, slowly...
« Reply #11 on: May 28, 2012, 02:14:09 AM »
When you consider the cost of replacing the fuel tank, a crash bar/engine guard is a small investment.

And your leg!!!

They come highly recommended.

No I don't have them lol.
No warranty implied or given.
Packed in a protective atmosphere.
May contain nuts.

BrashRooster

• Bulleteer
  • Yeah I stepped in it.
« Reply #12 on: June 17, 2012, 06:51:41 PM »
always have them on my bikes well one I one have engine case guards. Went down on a 1974 Honda CB550 4 kept me from getting pinned like the former owner of the bike when he did the same thing.  Had a few birds and one opossum hit my crash bars. rather the bars then my legs. Though I just had a bird hit my leg even with the crash bar it bounced off on too the left side tool box. kinda messy that one was.
Signature

The_Rigger

• Grease Monkey
  • Mom Always Liked You Better...
« Reply #13 on: June 17, 2012, 07:30:53 PM »
And your leg!!!

They come highly recommended.

No I don't have them lol.

You don't have legs??
-Dave
2012 C5 Special
Central Michigan, USA (when I'm not working somewhere else)

The_Rigger

• Grease Monkey
  • Mom Always Liked You Better...
« Reply #14 on: June 17, 2012, 07:37:36 PM »
Fiona makes my fourth motorcycle since 1980, and to date is the first and only one that has not had crash bars or case guards. Soon as I can afford it, I'll be rectifying that...

Over the years, I've accrued a total of a bit over 450,000 miles on two wheels, and the guards have *FAR* more than earned their keep on my motey-bikes, if for no other reason than having somewhere different to put my feet, so I can stretch my legs on long trips.

Put me down as a "Yea."
-Dave
2012 C5 Special
Central Michigan, USA (when I'm not working somewhere else)