HPRE

Menu

Members Rides

44mm carb and filter

in
Members Rides

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
July 22, 2014, 11:42:02 PM

Login with username, password and session length

1962 BSA DBD34 Catalina Scrambler
Previous Image | Next Image
Description: My favorite production motorcycle of all times.  The Catalina Scrambler was produced by BSA from 1959 to 1963.

Chuck “Feets” Minert raced for the BSA factory team in the United States, and the most important win of his career came in the 1956 Catalina Grand Prix. Almost 1000 riders raced on Catalina Island.  The win was so prestigious that after Feets Minert’s victory, BSA named a 1959 Gold Star DBD34 model the “Catalina Scrambler.”  It was a little misleading because the machine that Feets rode to victory was a 1956 BSA Gold Star Scrambler.  “I changed to a five-gallon tank so that I could race the 100-mile race without stopping.  I used a front brake backing plate with a scoop for additional cooling and ran a 19-inch front wheel instead of the standard 21-inch wheel preferred by the English riders,” says Feets.

Hap Alzina, the West Coast BSA distributor, asked the factory to build a replica of Minert’s Gold Star-based bike.  BSA responded with the Catalina Scrambler in 1959.  The machine would go unchanged until BSA stopped production in 1963.  The Catalina Scrambler was a DBD34 BSA Gold Star Scrambler with a 19-inch front wheel instead of the standard 21-inch wheel and imported only to the US.

Cheers,
Bill
Picture Stats:
Views: 126
Posted by: Bill Harris April 19, 2014, 03:50:23 PM

Rating: This picture has not been rated yet.
Image Linking Codes
BB Code
BB Thumbnail Image Code
BB Medium Image Code
Direct Link

Comments