HPRE

Menu

Members Rides

2014 Continetal GT 535

in
Members Rides

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 03, 2015, 03:26:48 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Does Techron Concentrate or SeaFoam Clean Engine ?  (Read 138 times)

singhg5

• Grand Gearhead
Does Techron Concentrate or SeaFoam Clean Engine ?
« on: February 27, 2015, 05:44:53 AM »
Does Techron concentrate clean carbon build up on the piston of car ? This is perhaps the first video with boroscope pictures of piston surface BEFORE and AFTER treatment.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h8i9qftqKNY

He also has a video of SeaFoam's effect on piston carbon in a lawn mower small engine. Used boroscope to take pictures inside engine before and after experiment -

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WdT4DPFXIkM

There are so many views, unsubstantiated opinions, hearsays or commercial advertisements that promote products. Videos on youtube that are poorly designed or not properly performed. They do not prove conclusively one way or the other. This guy has done well designed and executed experiments to at least find an honest answer.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2015, 08:10:06 AM by singhg5 »
1970's Jawa /  Yezdi
2006 Honda Nighthawk
2009 Royal Enfield Black G5

High On Octane

• Grand Gearhead
  • Go Fast & Look Good Doing It
Re: Does Techron Concentrate or SeaFoam Clean Engine ?
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2015, 11:30:41 AM »
I know for a fact that BG 44K works very well.  It is expensive at $25 a can, but I also use to have customers that ritually used a can every 6 months and never had any issues and the car always ran like a top.  SeaFoam is next on my list.  I like it because you can use it in different parts of the engine for different types of cleaning, including the most common, in the fuel, thru the intake to clean valves, and in the oil before an oil change to remove sludge and grime.
Scottie J  ~  Bulldog Kustoms Denver  ~  1958 Enfield/Indian Trailblazer / Corn Fed ~  1959 Enfield/Indian Chief

mattsz

• Grand Gearhead
  • moto-gurdyist
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2015, 11:36:32 AM »
So, is that a yes?

(I haven't watched the almost 20 minutes of videos yet...  ;) )

High On Octane

• Grand Gearhead
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2015, 11:38:54 AM »
So, is that a yes?

It is a mostly yes.  It's not magic in a bottle but it does work quite well when used properly.  SeaFoam is one of the items I always keep on hand.
Scottie J  ~  Bulldog Kustoms Denver  ~  1958 Enfield/Indian Trailblazer / Corn Fed ~  1959 Enfield/Indian Chief

Guaire

• Bulleteer
« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2015, 08:53:49 PM »
 I look to these products to clean out carb jets or injectors, not to de-carbonize. I had good results with a '77 BMW R60/7 back around 2000. I was running tanks of Chevron Supreme gas, with Techroline and the Techroline from a bottle. It broke up carbon in the carbs. At curbside, I dropped the float bowls and dumped carbon chunks.
  On various Japanese bikes with small cylinders I have depended on Seafoam to keep the ethanol from clogging the pilot jets. I got a Kawasaki EX250 that had sat. (twin with 125cc pistons). I dosed a gallon or so of fresh gas with Seafoam. It started with a charged battery. It would not idle at all. I sprayed in Gum Cutter while keeping the engine revving. Within 15 minutes I was able to let the motor idle.
  I run either Techroline or Seafoam periodically to keep carbs and fuel injectors running clean.
  BG chemicals are available from your car mechanic. They are professional grade.

High On Octane

• Grand Gearhead
« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2015, 09:18:48 PM »
BG products are also available thru Advance Auto Parts, in Colorado anyway.  And BG will decarb a combustion chamber.  It is a unique formula that will actually soak into the carbon before it ignites and eventually breaks it loose spitting it out the exhaust.

Guaire

• Bulleteer
« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2015, 09:23:12 PM »
Wow. It chews it up and spits it out. Cool.
   I don't think Advance sells BG in northern VA. I got some from my car mechanic to keep my old '90 Nissan Maxima from getting injector problems. I grabbed some of my annuity money and got a Nissan Altima Hybrid. Now I can stealth drive.

singhg5

• Grand Gearhead
« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2015, 04:58:56 AM »
BG products are also available thru Advance Auto Parts, in Colorado anyway.  And BG will decarb a combustion chamber.  It is a unique formula that will actually soak into the carbon before it ignites and eventually breaks it loose spitting it out the exhaust.

Is BG fuel additive engine cleaner safe for our UCE engine with oxygen sensor and catalytic converter silencer ? As per your recommendation, I am thinking of trying it in my G5. I will check Adavance Auto Parts in my area to see if they have BG products in stock. 

Should it be added to fuel tank only or added on top of piston through spark plug hole for a few hours to soak carbon deposits on piston ?

So, is that a yes?

What did you with those 20 minutes :D ?

I am keenly reading the experiences of other riders with these or similar products and what they think about them. I am happy to see that someone like that young man has done carefully designed experiment, shared it on youtube for others to see the results and decide for themselves.
« Last Edit: March 01, 2015, 07:53:43 PM by singhg5 »
1970's Jawa /  Yezdi
2006 Honda Nighthawk

High On Octane

• Grand Gearhead
« Reply #8 on: March 01, 2015, 05:42:56 AM »
You just add the 44K directly to the fuel and run thru the entire tank.  Bikes usually require 2 tanks to get the full effect.  And it is totally safe for catalytic systems in cars, and I know they sell a smaller bottle for bikes, so I don't see why it wouldn't be safe to use in a UCE Bullet.

singhg5

• Grand Gearhead
« Reply #9 on: March 01, 2015, 04:04:38 PM »
You just add the 44K directly to the fuel and run thru the entire tank.  Bikes usually require 2 tanks to get the full effect.  And it is totally safe for catalytic systems in cars, and I know they sell a smaller bottle for bikes, so I don't see why it wouldn't be safe to use in a UCE Bullet.

Does it eat away paint in the fuel tank ?  Or rubber tubing ?

I just saw in a car forum several guys impressed with its cleaning action. Someone had mentioned about it being too corrosive on paint or rubber. Is it that corrosive ? 

There was also mention of need to change oil after using this fuel additive !

http://forums.pelicanparts.com/porsche-911-technical-forum/600949-bg-44k-fuel-system-cleaner.html 
« Last Edit: March 01, 2015, 04:26:22 PM by singhg5 »
1970's Jawa /  Yezdi
2006 Honda Nighthawk

High On Octane

• Grand Gearhead
« Reply #10 on: March 01, 2015, 04:23:45 PM »
I haven't ever heard of anyone experiencing corrosion problems.  I've spilled it on paint before and didn't have any issues.  It doesn't mean its not possible I guess.

REpozer

• Superfly and
  • Grand Gearhead
« Reply #11 on: March 01, 2015, 04:58:07 PM »
Few years ago I found a Snapper Hi vac push lawn mower at the dump .
After a carb cleaning and a spark plug , runs great.

Now I know to decarb the piston without removing the head.
2008 AVL Classic Bullet in British Racing Green
REA # 84 ( the first time)