HPRE

Menu

Members Rides

baby in makin 3

in
Members Rides

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
October 01, 2014, 10:40:16 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: A first... for me.  (Read 379 times)

barenekd

• Grand Gearhead
Re: A first... for me.
« Reply #15 on: August 26, 2014, 08:40:18 PM »
I was coasting up to a light one day, splitting traffic. Just as I as going past the rear ends of the front two cars, the light changed to green for us. I grabbed a big handful of throttle to blast across the intersection...and went nowhere. I was in neutral. As I was fishing for first, a guy went blasting through the intersection in a car at about 60. Had I been in gear...You wouldn't have to be putting with me now!
Well, I've outlived at least three cats!
Bare

Bare
2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Racer
2011 Black Classic G5 (RIP)
I refuse to tiptoe through life only to arrive safely at death
http://www.controllineplans.com

gizzo

• Grease Monkey
« Reply #16 on: August 26, 2014, 10:04:55 PM »
Y'know what? That happens here too. I ride a bicycle (gasp!) To school with my kids. Very often an older driver with right of way will stop on the road and wave us through. I don't like it,and have taught my offspring to not accept the kind offer: it sets a bad example and teaches the kid to ride out in front of traffic, expecting the car to wait for them. Give way rules are there for a reason. I know they're trying to be kind but its not the safe thing to do. It sometimes results in quite a standoff, with both parties refusing to go. Also at pedestrian crossings, we wait til the traffic has stopped before we start walking. Would have been run over more than once without that practice.
« Last Edit: August 26, 2014, 10:07:43 PM by gizzo »
simon from south Australia
Continental GT
Suzuki Savage bobber
Pantah
Monster
DR250

Scotty Brown

• Neophyte
  • Scotty Brown
« Reply #17 on: September 20, 2014, 05:22:37 AM »
Never tailgate---Never ride behind something that you can't either see around, over or through !

GreenMachine

• Grand Gearhead
« Reply #18 on: September 22, 2014, 02:19:39 PM »
Theirs  a George Carlin skit re. people who stop and want to let you out ahead of them..Stick to that and you won't get broadsided by the others who aren't so accommodating.  :o
Oh Magoo you done it again

boggy

• Grand Gearhead
  • Karma Ultra: 7
« Reply #19 on: September 22, 2014, 04:25:37 PM »
There was a thread in this forum a couple of years ago about this very problem called SMIDSY, "Sorry Mate, I didn't see you", or something very close to that, about a solution to this problem. www.youtube.com/watch?v=eqQBubilSXU
It's really not the people in the cages are out to kill you...usually!...they just don't know you're there.

+1 to that video, it's great, and also +1 to not putting the whole problem on car drivers.  Drivers are never going to get better about motorcycles, so it's up to us to adjust.  Getting pissed at car drivers will do nothing to keep your rubber side down.  If someone almost kills you, the only thing you can actually do to salvage the situation is to learn from it, and let it go. 

Riding upset is hazardous to your health.
2007 AVL
2006 DRZ400SM

Uncle Billy

• Scooter
« Reply #20 on: September 26, 2014, 01:38:13 PM »
Riding on 2-lane limited access highways, I ride on the left wheel track (where every vehicle's left wheels go) in the right lane, and in the right wheel track in the left lane.  This avoids the middle of the lane where slippery oil, antifreeze, and whatever accumulate, it takes a lateral move of only maybe 6 feet to completely change lanes, and cars that want to pass the car behind me can be aware that I occupy the space they're aiming for before they set out to pass instead of finding me there after they have committed themselves.  It leaves space for someone to pass me in my lane, but that risk is partly diminished because I can slip to the other lane in a flash if traffic allows when some numbnuts tries.

I also try to always have a view ahead of the vehicle in front of me to see what's happening down the road that he'll have to contend with, maxing the time available to me for planning escape routes from the flow if necessary.  I won't stay behind any vehicle that's big enough to block the view ahead; I'll pass if I can even if that requires a fistfull of throttle.  I always avoid dense traffic times on such roads - or any roads, in fact.   I avoid thick lines of traffic where a "telescope" collision is possible - I can probably outstop the car ahead of me and that's good, but I can also outstop the car behind me and that's bad.  If I get caught in a situation like that - cars bunched together at speed in both lanes - I ride in the tire track next to the shoulder making an exit from the telescope a quick dodge to the shoulder.

Staying alive and upright (more or less - the GT is at its best when it's leaned over) on the road for about 50 years is an accumulation of luck, self-preservation goals, and thinking about it all the time.
'14 Royal Enfield Continental GT
'84 Honda VF750F Interceptor
'73 Yamaha RD250B, "cafe racer'd"
'73 Yamaha TY175 Trialer
2 '69 Yamaha AT1 Enduros
'73 Datsun 240Z, GM 350 V8, 200 4R trans.
'66 VW kit car, looks like a Bugatti, drives like an old VW