HPRE

Menu

Members Rides

Frothy Coffee Anyone

in
Members Rides

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
July 01, 2015, 12:10:10 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Miscellaneous Ramblings of a Race Dad  (Read 122 times)

p144

• Bulleteer
Miscellaneous Ramblings of a Race Dad
« on: May 28, 2015, 11:03:25 PM »
I seem to come on here in spurts based on my schedule and what I'm up to. When I get to ride the CGT I really want Ace's new head for track, street, or both (based on build level). Gave serious thought to dusting off my leathers and having a go at the track this season, but.... KIDS! lol

My son's race season has taken precedence over my own. He moved up from a Honda NSR-50 to a Honda RS-85 which is an RS-125 converted to 85cc. It's a great stepping stone bike to the next level for kids, which is really expanding thanks to the new MotoAmerica series and their new KTM RC390 class for kids 14-22.

While the 50 did have a "power band", as all two strokes do, it was NOTHING compared to the 85. He could be off the pipe and the 50 would still run,... not so with the 85. It's either "on", or it's bogging it's way to the side of the track.

He's coming along nicely and really starting to throw it around, which is a mixed bag for me to watch. There's that "oh cool!" feeling right alongside that "of S#!T" feeling as he brakes deep into a corner and rides the rails around it... and he's still only 11 yrs old.

While I recognize that my own dreams go on hold for the kids, I don't mind. There's no way I could ever make it pro at this point in my life, but he could... I also give up a lot for my second son's pursuit of baseball, which I have NO prior interest in, so I honestly don't think I'm trying to live vicariously through my kids. I do however want to give them an opportunity at success if I can. Not success itself (even if I could), but the opportunity to succeed. Felt I should add that because I'm sick and tired of the entitlement thought process in this country. While I do give my kids more than some parents, I also expect a lot more work out of them than a lot of parents do and I make no bones about it with the kids. I tell them straight up that I expect a lot because they get a lot and you don't get a lot in life without giving even more!

So maybe I'll get time to ride the Enfield at some point, or I won't...  ;D

The End

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
  • World leaders in performance/racing Bullets
Re: Miscellaneous Ramblings of a Race Dad
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2015, 05:39:26 AM »
Maybe HE will want to race the Enfield!

p144

• Bulleteer
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2015, 06:26:42 AM »
We actually did talk about that too. Kicked around the idea of turning it into a land speed bike to see what a CGT can do on the salt with a super lightweight rider and an Ace head...  ;)

It's a touch big for him now, but maybe soon...

High On Octane

• Grand Gearhead
  • Go Fast & Look Good Doing It
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2015, 10:18:25 AM »
Cool stuff!  I wish I could get my kids on bikes too but it's just not in the budget right now.  Good luck you to this this season! 
Scottie J  ~  Bulldog Kustoms Denver  ~  1958 Enfield/Indian Trailblazer - The Blackhawk

p144

• Bulleteer
« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2015, 01:22:52 PM »
Well I called ECTA (East Coast Timing Association) and they said 18 is the minimum age to run LSR bikes. I really can't wrap my head around why. I could totally understand a class limit for certain ages, but nothing at all??? Phillip Jr already reaches speeds close to 100mph now AND throws it around turns. Why in the world can't he ride in a straight line on a LSR bike?  ::) Oh well...

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2015, 01:32:12 PM »
Well I called ECTA (East Coast Timing Association) and they said 18 is the minimum age to run LSR bikes. I really can't wrap my head around why. I could totally understand a class limit for certain ages, but nothing at all??? Phillip Jr already reaches speeds close to 100mph now AND throws it around turns. Why in the world can't he ride in a straight line on a LSR bike?  ::) Oh well...
I'm having some head gaskets made up for 90mm bore, and we can de-stroke the crank to 78mm if desired.
If you have any inclination toward that 4-valve GT head, it will take a long time to do it anyway. For that 4 valve head, I would like to run a steeper downdraft port angle on it, so thought should be given to making room above the injector body clearance under the tank.

p144

• Bulleteer
« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2015, 08:49:56 PM »
Do you mean notching the bottom of the tank a bit?

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2015, 09:09:19 PM »
Do you mean notching the bottom of the tank a bit?
Possibly, yes.
Also moving the large plates of the head steady out of the way. Looking probably for up to 40mm -42mm throttle body or carb on as steep a downdraft angle that could reasonably fit for a racing application.