HPRE

Menu

Members Rides

"Domino", my 2009 Bullet G5 Deluxe

in
Members Rides

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 06, 2015, 12:09:21 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Scottie J's Thought Of The Day  (Read 3557 times)

High On Octane

• Grand Gearhead
  • Go Fast & Look Good Doing It
Re: Scottie J's Thought Of The Day
« Reply #135 on: March 01, 2015, 06:25:00 AM »
So I had a really good phone interview this morning for another shop.  I'm burnt out on collision work and have been wanting to get back into restorations.  Yesterday while "on break"  ;)  I checked for auto body jobs on craigslist again.  Low and behold, a posting for a "Restoration Technician!"  :D  So last night as I was winding down, I pulled up the listing on the computer and checked out the shop's website, and this place does very, very high end antique restorations.  Like $250K Barret Jackson and Haggerty type restorations.  Doesn't hurt to try I thought, so I sent a short email explaining my experience and desire to get back into restorations and attached my resume and a few pics of cars I've painted.

At 10am this morning, I received a call from the owner.   :)  We spoke for a total of 30 minutes and I was very psyched up after getting off of the phone with him.  He currently has a 30,000 sq ft shop and is building a whole new shop that I believe he said is 80,000 sq ft, which will be all brand new state of the art equipment.  He was telling me that he is looking for someone that is great at metal fabrication and painting.  I explained that I am a good fabricator, but not great, but is something that I want to get better at and learn more about.  He then asked if I'd be willing to take classes and put in practice time on my own time with the power hammer and English wheel, to which I said of course.  He also asked what type of paint I spray and I said PPG, which is what they also use, so no worries there, I know PPG paint pretty well now.

He pretty much did most of the talking and I answered what he wanted to know.  And he was very honest and forth coming with what he expects and how it is.  I wouldn't say he was intimidating, but it was almost like he was trying to talk me out of the job just to see how I would react.  Saying things like "I've had several guys come over from auto body before, and they never make it longer than a couple of weeks.  They just don't have what it takes.  But, you've done a few restorations before.  I don't know.  Maybe you'll make it.  But other collision guys never do."    :o   By the end of the phone call, we both seemed to be on the same page and decided we should get together in person and come down to check out the shop and meet the crew.  I'm not going to hold my breath or get too excited and jinx myself, but this would be an amazing career opportunity.  Not only would I be making very good money, almost twice as what I'm making now, but the owner made it very clear multiple times that once he moves into the new shop, he wants to earn the rights to "The Best Restoration Shop In The Country."  And honestly, his reputation is not far from it now, he already has a great name in the business and I've heard it before.  He was even telling me that the majority of his work load isn't even from the state of Colorado.  Put it this way, he has had his cars shown 4 different times at the Pebble Beach Antique Car Show, the biggest in the country, earning three 1st place finishes and one 2nd place finish.  That is not only impressive but very difficult to do.

Fingers crossed an good mojo.    :D
Scottie J  ~  Bulldog Kustoms Denver  ~  1958 Enfield/Indian Trailblazer / Corn Fed ~  1959 Enfield/Indian Chief

mattsz

• Grand Gearhead
  • moto-gurdyist
« Reply #136 on: March 01, 2015, 12:04:40 PM »

Chuck D

• Grand Gearhead
« Reply #137 on: March 01, 2015, 01:22:00 PM »
Good luck Scottie!
Ace "Fireball 535" (#10)
Ace "GP" head on the shelf and waiting.
Featherbed frame conversion underway @ http://instagram.com/rofomoto1

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
  • World leaders in racing or performance Bullets
« Reply #138 on: March 01, 2015, 01:22:54 PM »
That would be a very high class job.
I hope you get it!
 :)

High On Octane

• Grand Gearhead
« Reply #139 on: March 01, 2015, 02:14:09 PM »
Thanks guys!  Like I told the owner yesterday, collision repair presents no challenge for me.  It did at first at the Subaru shop, because the repairs I was doing were much heavier hits than I was ever used to doing before.  But once again, I find myself totally bored, painting the same 8 colors over and over again: C3S Sparkle Silver, 33A Atlantic Blue, 64Z Newport Blue, C1F Dark Silver, 39D Champagne Gold, A9K Dark Granite......  You get the point.  With that said, I need a job that will not only keep me busy but Will really push me and challenge me to make me a better tech.  Painting, check!  Woodworking, check!  Welding, check!  Metal working......  Ok I need some work there.  As good of a deal as I got on my seat pan, it bothers me that I  didn't make it myself.  I mean it's beautiful and extremely well made, a piece of art even, but I didn't make it, which means I can no longer say I built the bike 100% myself.  Now it's only 98% me.  And its not that I can't learn, I just haven't had the tooling and resources to really strive at it.  I did get pretty good with the English wheel at the last resto shop, but it's been awhile.

Perhaps Gunslinger didn't work out because it wasn't the right opportunity for me to change work at the time.  Perhaps this shop isn't either, but I have to stay positive and keep my chin high.  I need to go into that shop with honesty and confidence and say "I'm not the exact tech your looking for now, but I will be in 6 months time with some more practice.  And I only get better every year I do this."
« Last Edit: March 01, 2015, 02:16:28 PM by High On Octane »
Scottie J  ~  Bulldog Kustoms Denver  ~  1958 Enfield/Indian Trailblazer / Corn Fed ~  1959 Enfield/Indian Chief

Ragmas

• Grease Monkey
« Reply #140 on: March 01, 2015, 03:23:21 PM »
Sounds Great.  Good luck!
Samgar
2009 G-5 Military
Little Falls, NY

barenekd

• Grand Gearhead
« Reply #141 on: March 02, 2015, 01:58:49 AM »
Good Luck, Scottie
Bare
2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Racer
2011 Black Classic G5 (RIP)
I refuse to tiptoe through life only to arrive safely at death
http://www.controllineplans.com

ToesNose

• Bulleteer
  • That goes where? Mooresville, NC
« Reply #142 on: March 02, 2015, 03:15:49 AM »
Best of luck, we are pulling for ya  :)
"Pardon me...do you have hot sauce for this?"

2007 Suzuki LS650
2014 RE C5 Tan

dginfw

• Grease Monkey
« Reply #143 on: March 02, 2015, 05:18:13 AM »
Very cool, Scottie. Good luck!
Dave in TX:   '01  W650
                    '14 Continental GT-  sold
                    '06 Iron Barrel Bullet

heloego

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2012 Royal Maroon C5 Special
« Reply #144 on: March 02, 2015, 02:30:05 PM »
+1, and another good luck!
Rather than have a homeless person for the holidays, I decided to stick with ham.

High On Octane

• Grand Gearhead
« Reply #145 on: March 02, 2015, 03:40:30 PM »
Thanks guys!  Either my body guy doesn't want me to quit or underestimates my skill set, because he was trying to talk me out of the job this morning.  Asking me "Have you even built a show winning car?"  Why yes, yes I have.  The '60 T-Bird took 1st place at its 1st showing!  But I don't care, I know I can do it, it will just take a little bit of time to get back in the swing of things.  I am a little nervous, but hell, I can't move up in life if I keep settling for this dead end job I'm at now.