HPRE

Menu

Members Rides

Olivia on the Mississippi

in
Members Rides

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
October 24, 2014, 04:57:42 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Old fashioned solo seat  (Read 7539 times)

Jerry

• Scooter
Old fashioned solo seat
« on: June 11, 2008, 12:03:06 PM »
The old fashioned solo seat was easy to install fit nicely. 

The catalogue says that the solo seats provide approximately the same ride height as the stock seat, but in my case this was not true.  The solo sat higher than stock.  If you are looking for a bit more leg room this is OK but in my case the seat/handlebar/footpeg relationship was thrown out of whack by having my butt higher.  I used a couple bolts and cut spacers to lower the rear of the seat so that it just cleared the fender.  With all the rain I haven't had enough time in the saddle to comment on the comfort of the seat for long rides but it seems fine on the short runs I've been able to get in.

geoffbaker

Re: Old fashioned solo seat
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2008, 06:57:32 PM »
I just got the old fashioned solo seat and it came without instructions. For the life of me, I can't figure out how it's meant to bolt onto the frame of my 2000 military bullet. Does anyone know where I can find instructions or some good pictures of the mounting system?

thx!

Jerry

• Scooter
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2008, 01:18:43 AM »
I didn't get any instructions with mine either.  It did come with brackets that attached to the bike and the seat. 

Did  you get the brackets/springs/bolts?

Good Luck,

Jerry

geoffbaker

« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2008, 02:32:25 PM »
It came with two sets of brackets. The seat had two long brackets bolted to the two rear springs. There are two short brackets each with their own springs, that are separate. I guess that they are to fit a different bike model.  But playing around with the seat I couldn't find any way that the seat would fit.

My guess is if I put the pannier frame back on I can mount the seat using the smaller brackets; but I can't see any way the long brackets will fit. If I use the small brackets it LOOKS like maybe the large hole on the side of the bracket would fit over the pannier frame side bolts and the smaller slot on the top could fit on the vertical bolt that holds the bar that has the regulator and flasher on it.

I was just hoping there were some pictures posted that could make it all a little clearer...

Here's a photo of the left side spring mounted on the bike using the short bracket. It fits just fine - except that  getting it tight will twist the bracket in two axes.. Now that's not a problem... and may be what needs to happen... I just don't want to bolt it into place hard and then find I've put it in backwards ... :D

« Last Edit: June 22, 2008, 03:59:16 PM by geoffbaker »

Jerry

• Scooter
« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2008, 12:40:02 PM »
That's how I attached it.  It seems to work fine.  I assumed that the extra brackets were for the Electra and the short ones were for the classic models.  I got both also.
I find it a pretty comfortable seat.  Mine is solidly mounted because I didn't like the extra height of the springs and I get just a bit of buzzing at highway speeds.

Jerry

geoffbaker

« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2008, 02:22:05 PM »
Jerry, if you've cut it down so the seat rides lower on the bike, you might want to think of wrapping the bar across the seat bottom with rubber... I'm thinking it might bottom out and scrape the rear mudguard if it is set too low...

I'll go ahead and mount it as the photo shows. I think it will look very sharp!

jonapplegate

• Grand Gearhead
  • you stand tall when you stoop to help
« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2008, 09:43:34 AM »
I have a classic. I got the vintage kit with standard solo. It only came with one set of brackets. I beagn to mock everything up before I started tightening and could see that the seat springs just don't fit right. I called CMW and was told that they are indeed correct but I have got to say that they do not look like any pics od them I have seen. They are very tweaked, in order to fit. I still think something is wrong. It certainly doesn't look right. Totally cancels out any spring effect as well. 

Leonard

• Grand Gearhead
  • I love this bike!!
« Reply #7 on: June 28, 2008, 02:00:53 PM »
Some photos of your problem would be helpful.  I remember I had to cut the mounting ends off the bracket before they would fit, did you have to do that?
2009 Triumph Bonneville T100
2004 Royal Enfield Sixty-5 (RIP)
2001 Kawasaki W650 (going, going...gone)
http://www.romeoriders.com

ridgerunner

• Grease Monkey
« Reply #8 on: July 07, 2008, 11:39:03 PM »
That's how mine fit too. Not exactly made to fit, but it works and it's a much improved ride. I ordered the rear seat as well but it's missing the little clamp-like pices that hold the forward mount to the frame.
08 Bullet ES (AVL)
The Enfield saves on gas, riding the Enfield saves on Prozac. ;)

ridgerunner

• Grease Monkey
« Reply #9 on: July 11, 2008, 04:19:52 PM »
That's how mine fit too. Not exactly made to fit, but it works and it's a much improved ride. I ordered the rear seat as well but it's missing the little clamp-like pices that hold the forward mount to the frame.

here's some good news. I emailed CMW about the missing parts and SHAZAAM! They sent the missing parts at no cost to me...in less than a week!! Now that's company support. ;D
08 Bullet ES (AVL)
The Enfield saves on gas, riding the Enfield saves on Prozac. ;)

StL_Stadtroller

• Bulleteer
« Reply #10 on: July 17, 2008, 11:10:47 PM »
are we talking about the retro springer seat here, or the OLD old style solo seat?
I've had the former before on my '01 (the one you can get in tan) and it was OK, but not great.

I've got an '07 Military now, and am considering the OLD old style for it...  but would really like to hear about the "butt factor" on those before laying out the cash just yet.

Anyone? Anyone? Bueller?

Brian Wittling, St. Louis, MO
Her Majesty's Own Royal Enfield Motoring Enthusiast Society
Member Emeritus

Jerry

• Scooter
« Reply #11 on: July 17, 2008, 11:52:32 PM »
This is the "old fashioned solo seat" from the CMW catalogue.  There is no padding.  It has a vinyl cover over springs for support.  I ride 60 miles, or a little over an hour at a time, pretty regularly. I'm ready to get off and stretch after that but my butt is not the main problem.  And I think it looks really good on the Military.

Jerry

PhilJ

• Grand Gearhead
« Reply #12 on: July 18, 2008, 03:11:37 PM »

.....I've got an '07 Military now, and am considering the OLD old style for it...  but would really like to hear about the "butt factor" on those before laying out the cash just yet.

Anyone? Anyone? Bueller?

Seats are built the way they're built. People are built in as many variations as there are people. 1, 10, or a hundred ataboys will not guarantee a good fit on your butt. That's just the way it is.
For me, they are uncomfortable. Not enough wiggle room for any length of time in the saddle.

chris-bartlett

• Bulleteer
« Reply #13 on: July 21, 2008, 02:46:26 PM »
...The solo sat higher than stock.  If you are looking for a bit more leg room this is OK but in my case the seat/handlebar/footpeg relationship was thrown out of whack by having my butt higher.  ...

I've seen several 2" and 3" seat spring options - seems like those would be simpler if you just wanted to lower the seat.
« Last Edit: July 21, 2008, 04:53:09 PM by chris-bartlett »

Kevin Mahoney

• Administrator
  • Grand Gearhead
« Reply #14 on: July 21, 2008, 04:15:30 PM »
The Old fashioned seat is the one that is fashioned after the Lysett seat of old. It is a metal frame with many long thing springs on it which support a layer of thick felt and a vinyl comer. the springs and felt provide the padding. The seat frame is also attached to the frame of the bike by springs. We sell varying lenghts for different height requirements.

The "Deluxe" solo seat is a metal seat pan with a fairly high density foam covering it. The foam is covered with vinyl. It is also attached by springs to the frame of the bike.

As far as long distance comfort goes. the stock dual seat is probably the most comfortable, but there are many varying opinions about this.