HPRE

Menu

Members Rides

2010 Teal C5

in
Members Rides

50 Guests, 2 Users
crock, dampking
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
October 26, 2014, 06:08:50 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: B5 7" headlight  (Read 705 times)

Manatoc fox

• Scooter
B5 7" headlight
« on: October 03, 2013, 04:10:54 PM »
Does anyone know if the 7" preassembled headlight from our hosts fits a B5 UCE model?  It fits both C5 and G5 UCE's but the B5 isn't listed.  I heard that the B5 is based on the older frame design, but a large number of parts that are listed for the Iron Barrels aren't compatable with the bullet according to Nfield gear.  Looking if anyone else has tried it out.
2014 Royal Enfield Military-"Thumper" to his friends

barenekd

• Grand Gearhead
Re: B5 7" headlight
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2013, 06:06:54 PM »
The headlight casquettes are the same on all three bikes. The only change that may be required is to cut off the female plug at the end of the wiring harness that plugs into the headlight and replace it with 5/16" female space connectors so the wiring will clear the speedo cable or speedo.
You can get the connectors at Radio Shack or other electronics equipment stores.
I had to do that on my G5.
Bare
« Last Edit: October 03, 2013, 06:10:20 PM by barenekd »
2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Racer
2011 Black Classic G5 (RIP)
I refuse to tiptoe through life only to arrive safely at death
http://www.controllineplans.com

mattsz

• Grand Gearhead
  • moto-gurdyist
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2013, 01:34:53 AM »
I ordered the "Pre-assembled 7" Headlight Kit", which seems to currently be part # 145017/A, and installed it on my 2011 B5 a year ago.  It fit easily, without any physical or electrical modifications whatsoever.  The lens housing is marked "Minda", and there has been some discussion as to whether the face of the housing is fluted to focus the light beam to the left, to benefit driving on the left side of the road.  I don't know about that, but I've been happy with it - the low beam anyway.  I never use the high beam; it's so diffuse that I actually cannot see as well with it - the low beam is more focused and just about perfectly well aimed...

Arizoni

• Grand Gearhead
  • "But it's a dry heat here in Arizona
« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2013, 04:49:39 AM »
I think my high beam has a useful purpose when I'm riding during daylight hours.

As I approach a intersection, if there are any oncoming cars approaching it I use my yellow "Zapper button" and flash the high beam at them.
If one is waiting to make a left turn across my path I hold the Zapper down so the high beam is on as I enter and leave the intersection.

I don't seriously believe it will get every drivers attention but I hope it might get a few of them to notice I'm approaching and about to go thru.
Jim
2011 G5 Deluxe
1999 Miata 10th Anniversary

mattsz

• Grand Gearhead
  • moto-gurdyist
« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2013, 12:03:13 PM »
Jim - that's something I never thought of.  I'm curious now to try to see from a distance what my high and low beams look like.  Maybe I'll ride with the high beam on in daylight - save the low beam filiment (does it work that way?)

I've seen the occasional bike with a modulating headlight - on all the time, but getting brighter and dimmer about twice second - it really grabbed my attention, but then again I'm much more tuned in to bike spotting since I started riding.

D the D

• Grand Gearhead
« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2013, 03:08:53 PM »
Jim - that's something I never thought of.  I'm curious now to try to see from a distance what my high and low beams look like.  Maybe I'll ride with the high beam on in daylight - save the low beam filiment (does it work that way?)

...I'm much more tuned in to bike spotting since I started riding.

You'll find you turn into a "swivel head" in your car too and your blind spots cease to exist because you always do a quick look.
'07 Iron Barrel Military (Deceased 14 September, 2013)
2014 Yamaha Bolt R Spec V-Twin
1975 XLCH

Arizoni

• Grand Gearhead
« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2013, 10:15:52 PM »
Mattsz: 
Sure you can ride with just the high beam on and yes, that saves the low beam because it is not turned on.

I think the yellow Zapper button turns on the high beam without turning off the low beam so in effect you are zapping them with the full power of your Phaser bank.

If the High/Low beam switch is turned to the High position, the Zapper button won't do anything to the beam.
Jim
2011 G5 Deluxe

mattsz

• Grand Gearhead
  • moto-gurdyist
« Reply #7 on: October 04, 2013, 10:21:34 PM »
In the dark, what I'd really like is to tape the button down, and get the brightness of both filaments!  But I won't...

D the D

• Grand Gearhead
« Reply #8 on: October 05, 2013, 03:33:18 AM »
In the dark, what I'd really like is to tape the button down, and get the brightness of both filaments!  But I won't...
A modulator will get their attention, but may cause epileptic seizures for the rider.
I'm thinking of getting a flashing BLUE LIGHT from K-Mart, changing it to yellow, and mounting it on it's pole.  Then I'll get noticed.  They'll still ignore me and tell the cops they didn't see me, but they'll notice before they run me over.   A lady couldn't see my 7 inch headlight pointing straight at her and told the cop she didn't see me.  That was a good excuse for being on the wrong side of the road. :o
'07 Iron Barrel Military (Deceased 14 September, 2013)
2014 Yamaha Bolt R Spec V-Twin
1975 XLCH

abstruse1

• Neophyte
« Reply #9 on: November 22, 2013, 12:14:11 AM »
So why does one want to go to the larger light?  Does it illuminate better?
Abstruse1
Dallas, TX USA
    Burnin' gas on two wheels for 50 years and still lookin' for a better way!

ROVERMAN

• Grand Gearhead
« Reply #10 on: November 22, 2013, 01:01:53 PM »
Abstruse 1, i put the Minda 7" headlamp in my B5, the terminals were separate "flag" type. So no cutting and splicing required. Also i hooked up the park bulb supplied with the new unit, the wiring was inside the housing. While you are in there you can also remove the jumper so you can have a functioning light switch.
Roverman.

Arizoni

• Grand Gearhead
« Reply #11 on: November 22, 2013, 10:52:11 PM »
So why does one want to go to the larger light?  Does it illuminate better?
I can't speak for the others but I changed the headlight in my G5 simply because the 5 3/4 inch sealed beam looked totally wrong.

The British bikes in the '50's and '60's all had the full sized 7 inch lights so that's what I want on my RE.

As for working better?  No, the one I bought uses the old fashioned British plug in bulb.
To make matters worse, the bulb supplied is made for use in Great Britain (where they drive on the left side of the road) so the beam is pointed towards the oncoming traffic here in the US.
I like it anyway.  It actually says Lucas on the lens but I'm beginning to have my doubts about that.  After over a year of use it still hasn't emitted the cloud of smoke that Lucas is famous for.
Jim
2011 G5 Deluxe