HPRE

Menu

Members Rides

YET MORE CANS

in
Members Rides

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 25, 2015, 08:49:45 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Engine stalls after prolonged highway travel  (Read 278 times)

VintagePilot

• Neophyte
Engine stalls after prolonged highway travel
« on: May 12, 2015, 12:51:40 PM »
I'm sure this has been covered somewhere but I'm not sure what keywords would bring up the threads. After spending a prolonged amount of time (~20-60 minutes) at highway speeds (45-60mph) my '99 RE has a nasty habit of conking out when I come down to in-town speeds (25mph) or am stopped at a stoplight. If I keep the RPMs high the bike won't stall but letting the bike idle or be somewhere in the middle usually results in the motor stalling. When the motor is sputtering to a stop it seems like it is not getting enough fuel since moving the throttle has little effect unless it is wide open or close to wide open.

Anyone else have this problem? I am guessing it is a jetting issue, most likely the needle jet, or I need to raise the idle but I feel like I've set that correctly. This time of year temperatures here are 50-70 and I'm at around 2500'. Stock carb/exhaust.     
1999 Royal Enfield Bullet 500 Deluxe
1977 Honda Trail 90
2016 CCW Ace Deluxe
1946 Cessna 140

Tom2004

• Neophyte
Re: Engine stalls after prolonged highway travel
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2015, 01:45:50 PM »
Maybe you should start with the spark plug, check its condition. Perhaps start a new with appropriate parameters.

dmerc

• Scooter
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2015, 11:02:23 AM »
Try adjusting the idle mixture when the engine is nice and hot.

Vince

• Grand Gearhead
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2015, 02:00:09 PM »
     That is actually pretty strenuous use. The heat such use would generate can warp a manifold or a head enough to cause an air leak that might close up when it cools. An abrupt change from the cooling air flow at speed to no air flow at a stop can cause a temperature spike that can cause engine seizures or boil gas in the carb.
     If a valve is closely adjusted the extra heat can take up all the clearance and lift the valve off the seat. The resulting lower compression can cause your issue.
     Switch to a better oil, slow down, and extend the transition time from high speed to idle. These steps will probably fix your problem.

Tarnand

• Neophyte
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2015, 11:14:40 PM »
There may be number of reasons for such behavior.  Vince's and Toms remarks are something I would seriously consider doing just to start collecting some more info. 
2005 KS Bullet 500cc
1994 FLSTC

Hondo

• Scooter
« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2015, 11:28:08 AM »
I had a similar issue and it ended up being a valve seat that liked to move around when the engine got hot.  Check your valve adjustment next time it happens and make sure one is not too tight.  I also showed sign of excess heat near the banjo bolt on the exhasut side.  ACE reworked the head and cured it for me.

VintagePilot

• Neophyte
« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2015, 04:43:10 PM »
For oil I run Castrol 20w50. I adjusted the values about 2000 miles ago so they might need another tuning, although I felt like I mis-adjusted them and then adjusted them right back to where they were.

The other possibility that a friend mentioned this week was a leak in the carburetor/intake that creates a vacuum in the carb at high speeds. It would certainly explain the fuel starvation symptoms. I did tighten the screws for the intake, on the carb, and manifold. I'll see if that makes a difference.   
1999 Royal Enfield Bullet 500 Deluxe
1977 Honda Trail 90
2016 CCW Ace Deluxe
1946 Cessna 140

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
  • World leaders in performance/racing Bullets
« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2015, 04:55:06 PM »
Well, the air leak would definitely cause the symptoms.

Kevin Mahoney

• Administrator
  • Grand Gearhead
« Reply #8 on: May 19, 2015, 05:20:23 PM »
The hose between the carb and the intake manifold is a wear item. Remove it and inspect it inside and out for cracks. you may not see them if you don't take it off.

It could just be the bike telling you it's tired and wants to rest :)