HPRE

Menu

Members Rides

Poppit

in
Members Rides

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 18, 2015, 11:39:07 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: New UCE owner  (Read 225 times)

CDeckner

• Neophyte
New UCE owner
« on: April 17, 2015, 12:26:56 AM »
I finally did it. After years of lusting after these bikes I've finally pulled the trigger and ordered a Tan C5 classic. I'm looking forward to putting around on it.

As a new owner what should I be checking during the running in miles. What parts like to vibrate loose and I should locktite? Any locations that the wiring harness likes to rub away or get pinched? etc...

Vince

• Grand Gearhead
Re: New UCE owner
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2015, 01:05:48 AM »
     First: Verify the dealer's set up procedure. Make sure he spends at least 3 to 4 hours on assembly and set up/service. A proper set up will obviate all your concerns. I own Vince's Motorcycle Store in Olympia, Wa.You can call me at 360-754-4900 and I'll go over what should be addressed at the PDI.
    Second: With the bike you will get an owner's manual. I tell all my customers to give that manual to their wife/mother/sister/significant other/random 9 year old child. Have this person read the manual to you, then follow the instructions.
     Third: Ride it and have fun.
     Right now you are at the nervous first-date-coming -up stage. You are worrying way too much. These really are a reliable mount with minimal maintenance needs. On this forum you can get spooked by the problems described, but in reality this is from a VERY small sample of the thousands of Enfield riders here in the states, let alone world wide.

pmanaz1973

• Grease Monkey
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2015, 02:01:53 AM »
     First: Verify the dealer's set up procedure. Make sure he spends at least 3 to 4 hours on assembly and set up/service. A proper set up will obviate all your concerns. I own Vince's Motorcycle Store in Olympia, Wa.You can call me at 360-754-4900 and I'll go over what should be addressed at the PDI.
    Second: With the bike you will get an owner's manual. I tell all my customers to give that manual to their wife/mother/sister/significant other/random 9 year old child. Have this person read the manual to you, then follow the instructions.
     Third: Ride it and have fun.
     Right now you are at the nervous first-date-coming -up stage. You are worrying way too much. These really are a reliable mount with minimal maintenance needs. On this forum you can get spooked by the problems described, but in reality this is from a VERY small sample of the thousands of Enfield riders here in the states, let alone world wide.

+1  Vince is a pro.   This is a amazing forum, but like all forums you tend to hear from they owners that have a problem, or from guys...sometimes me...that love to explore, understand, tweak and perform their own maintenance on these great little machines.

Mine has proven to be mile for mile more reliable than my Honda was.  These bikes also seem to get better (quality control, components) by the year. 

Resist the urge to modify too much until you have had the bike for a while...at least till after break-in and everything has settled in.  I swear these bikes cause shipwrights disease because the are so easy to work on.

Enjoy your new ride and welcome.

1991 XR250L (traded for)
1976 Harley XLH 1000 (blew up)
1993 CBR 600 (sold for)
1976 Norton Commando 850 (traded for)
1972 BMW R75/5 (sold)
2014 Royal Enfield C5

Arizoni

• Grand Gearhead
  • "But it's a dry heat here in Arizona
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2015, 05:12:16 AM »
Welcome aboard CDeckner. :)

After getting some miles on your new steed it is often worthwhile to check any nut/bolt that doesn't have a self locking feature like the nylock nuts on the engine mounts.  They will probably be fine but it doesn't hurt to check them.

If any of them appear loose, do apply a light coating of BLUE lock-tite to the threads before re-tightening them.  (The red lock-tite is made for semi-permanent installations.)

Our search engine is on the fritz at the moment so if you want to search the forum, enter "google search enfieldmotorcycles.com + whatever the word you want to find, into your web browser.  I usually open a new tab to do the search thing.

For instance, adding the words "UCE oil level" I got hundreds of hits including this one:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uo0IW8JVS_I

It was made by our own, very talented Singhg5 and is worth watching. :)
Jim
2011 G5 Deluxe
1999 Miata 10th Anniversary

heloego

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2012 Royal Maroon C5 Special
« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2015, 02:13:45 PM »
+1 to all the above!
Welcome to the forums and congrats on your decision!  ;D ;D
Rather than have a homeless person for the holidays, I decided to stick with ham.

adi-4004

• Scooter
« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2015, 05:32:46 PM »
Not sure how comfortable you are with motorcycle maintenance, I found all singh5g's videos on youtube very informative.
New York Metropolitan Area

2014 C5 Military Green

suitcasejefferson

• Grand Gearhead
« Reply #6 on: Today at 03:49:38 PM »
First of all, congratulations. If you are like me and have ridden mostly Japanese bikes, you are in for a real treat.

I was unable to verify anything, as I bought the bike from a dealer 120 miles away, and had them deliver it. I had wanted an Enfield for a long time, and had already done a lot of research on them. I am also a retired auto mechanic with 32 years experience, and have owned over 25 bikes.

While the Enfield is much more up to date than it was pre UCE, it is, at least IMO, still a long way from being a modern bike, and I mean when compared to new Japanese bikes. I chose to have the dealer deliver mine, because I did not want to ride it 120 miles while it was still brand new. And in fact, it took me almost a week to get that many miles on it. Unlike Japanese bikes, these require a long slow break in. Not just because of the design, but because it is of lower quality than Japanese bikes.

I would change the oil and filter about 3 times during the first 1,000 miles, avoid full throttle (with one exception) avoid riding it more than 20 miles at the time, giving it a good 1/2 hour to cool off, then ride it another 20 miles and stop again. Do that for the first 100 miles, then change the oil (that is a whole nother subject, again this is not a Japanese bike) then slowly start increasing your distance between rest breaks. After the first 1000 miles, I would switch to a high quality pure synthetic oil, and follow the schedule in the book. Mine now has over 5500 miles on it, and I have never exceeded 60 mph, and don't intend too. To me this is also a put-put bike, and what is a nice pleasant rumble at 55-60 mph becomes very unpleasant much above 60. If you want to go fast, you need another bike.

After the engine is completely cold, I would let it run for a few minutes to warm it up before riding.

As for the part about full throttle, it does need a few full throttle runs, just for a few seconds each, to seat the rings during the first 50 miles or so. Avoid overheating at all cost.

And always remember what you have. The RE is a very special bike. But treat it with care. A Suzuki TU250 and especially a Yamaha SR400 will run circles around it, won't break down if you push them, and be smooth and quiet while doing it. But what fun is that?
"I am a motorcyclist, NOT a biker"
"Some of the worst things imaginable have been done with the best of intentions'

SteveThackery

• Inveterate tinkerer
  • Grease Monkey
  • "If it ain't broke, keep fixing it until it is."
« Reply #7 on: Today at 07:03:34 PM »
But what fun is that?

LOL!  This sounds awfully like the "What have the Romans ever done for us?" sketch in "The Life of Brian".

So, apart from exceptional performance, remarkable durability, rugged finish, great handling, enormous choice and faultless reliability, what have the Japanese ever done for us?

;D
2014 B5, stock apart from disabled auto-decomp.  Also ride a Kawasaki Versys 650 for everyday use.

Previous:
'06 ElectraX (Good bike, had no trouble at all)
'02 500ES (Fully "Hitchcocked" - 535, cams, piston, etc - and still a piece of junk)

ROVERMAN

• Grand Gearhead
« Reply #8 on: Today at 08:11:20 PM »
Oh Steve, almost spat my lunch out! Perfect!  ;D ;D ;D
Rovermanius.

crock

• Bulleteer
« Reply #9 on: Today at 08:41:25 PM »
There are only three things I will bring up because the manual is either wrong or very misleading:
1. Check oil level on level surface after riding. Put bike on center stand with engine running and then turn bike off and wait a few minutes.
2. Oil and filter change requires about 2 quarts, not 2.75.
3. Tire pressures should start out 28 front and 34 rear not 18 front and 20 rear.

My 2014 has given me zero problems in the first 3600 miles. I did get a flat front tire but I don't consider that a problem with the bike.
« Last Edit: Today at 08:48:56 PM by crock »