HPRE

Menu

Members Rides

My Bullet Classic C5

in
Members Rides

64 Guests, 3 Users
anderson27, phoenixt, WillW
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
August 01, 2014, 11:59:09 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: RE US President  (Read 218 times)

Gypsyjon

• Grease Monkey
  • 201o G5 Deluxe Black & Chrome
I've gone back to my roots. British 1 lunger, stump puller.

gremlin

• Grand Gearhead
  • "Do one thing each day that scares you"
Re: RE US President
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2014, 02:33:53 AM »
I wonder how this will affect Kevin & CMW ......
1996 Trophy 1200
2011 RE B5
1979 XS11 w/vetter terraplane
1981 XS11 streetfighter
1983 Venture Royale
1982 CB750K
1971 Triumph Trident
1969 CB450
1966 Sears (puch) 250

Bulletman

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2011 - C5 Classic Black
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2014, 05:00:32 AM »
Gremlin.
I doubt it would affect Kevin & CMW..as they are already an established dealer for RE in North America. I'm very sure they have solid contracts in place to ensure that it stays that way.. ;)
"A Blast from my Past"
Mark F   (Northern, CA)
Black C5 2011

barenekd

• Grand Gearhead
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2014, 08:41:32 PM »
CMW and Kevin are not a dealer, they are the importer and distributor. I would think, since they've been doing this for years somewhat profitably, they can keep the job. I think they are doing a tremendous job as far as customer service in being one of the very few distributors that actually go out and meet the people they are dealing with.  I have sat down and spoken to Kevin and Ron Greene on several occasions and it really made me appreciate how approachable they are.
I think the biggest problem in the image of the bike and the lack of knowledge of its even being on the market. They need to broaden their advertising. But to this point, they are selling as many bikes essentially as they can get their hands on. With the production increase coming up, perhaps more bikes and parts will become available in the US.
Bare
2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Racer
2011 Black Classic G5 (RIP)
I refuse to tiptoe through life only to arrive safely at death
http://www.controllineplans.com

Bulletman

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2011 - C5 Classic Black
« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2014, 08:49:21 PM »
CMW and Kevin are not a dealer, they are the importer and distributor. I would think, since they've been doing this for years somewhat profitably, they can keep the job.
Bare
:) I meant Distributor....lol not dealer
"A Blast from my Past"
Mark F   (Northern, CA)
Black C5 2011

Gypsyjon

• Grease Monkey
  • 201o G5 Deluxe Black & Chrome
« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2014, 09:52:00 PM »
If there was a consistent supply of these bikes and some good advertising these thing would sell like hot cakes.

Reasonable displacement, reasonable performance, reasonable weight, great gas mileage, fairly easy to work on, real eye catchers, loaded with character etc...

I think Millennials who know little about bikes would love them, not just us old guys who started out in the 60s with BSAs, Triumphs, Nortons etc..

BUT, you have to have a sales effort. My experience with Blue Moon here in Atlanta is that they are just barely a side line.
I've gone back to my roots. British 1 lunger, stump puller.

Arizoni

• Grand Gearhead
  • "But it's a dry heat here in Arizona
« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2014, 10:43:43 PM »
Just a thought for Kevin to think about.

When KIA and Hyundai first came on the scene in the US they had one major obstacle to overcome to get their sales going.
Korea wasn't thought of as a real manufacturing power and questions about their quality was totally unknown in the US.

Their response to this problem was to put a warranty on their cars that was far better than the warranties offered by the US and Japanese cars.

People generally took this extended warranty to be a statement that the Korean cars were the equal of or even better than the other cars on the market.
Questions about the quality of their cars are no longer an issue.
Sales increased and now they are a major world wide manufacturing power.

Royal Enfield suffers from the same questions about quality.  After all, many people in the US think most of the Indian made manufactured items are made in small back room shops and are not known for their quality.
I'm sure that image keeps many of the people in the US who might be tempted to buy a RE from actually doing it.  I know I had my doubts before I actually bought my 2011 G5 Deluxe.

To overcome this perception I think it would be a big selling point to offer the warranty in two different phases.
The two year warranty would be the same as it is now. 
A new, third year coverage would be added, covering just the basic engine and transmission.

This would allow Royal Enfield to say,
 "Royal Enfield's come with a unlimited mileage 3 year factory warranty"

That would make a statement to a prospective buyer that this motorcycle is indeed a well made machine.
Although a few other motorcycle companies offer similar coverage it is usually offered as an "ad on" extra cost item.

Based on the ownership of my G5, this additional coverage would cost Kevin nothing.
Based on the total quantity of RE's sold I suspect it would cost very little.
If this new US President truly means what he says about increasing overseas sales, he might even be willing to reduce the OEM wholesale cost or kick in some cash to cover any out of pocket costs Kevin's company might have.
« Last Edit: July 31, 2014, 11:04:54 PM by Arizoni »
Jim
2011 G5 Deluxe
1999 Miata 10th Anniversary

The_Rigger

• Grease Monkey
  • Mom Always Liked You Better...
« Reply #7 on: July 31, 2014, 11:47:48 PM »
If there was a consistent supply of these bikes and some good advertising these thing would sell like hot cakes.

And there's the rub. RE can sell 70,000 bikes a year *without* the US market, so why should they exert any extra effort for us? We are such a pathetically small fraction of their overall sales, it's almost not worth the effort to try increasing it.

I firmly believe that's why it takes so damned long to get repair parts out of Chennai... Remember it took over a year to repair my Fiona. If I knew in 2012 what I know now, I may very well have bought a different bike and told Enfield Ltd. of India to go suck eggs.
-Dave
2012 C5 Special
Central Michigan, USA (when I'm not working somewhere else)

phoenixt

• Neophyte
  • "All that is rare is for the rare" Nietzsche
« Reply #8 on: July 31, 2014, 11:48:05 PM »
Has Royal Enfield had a North American President before this? Where is he working out of? I am wondering if they intend to distribute the bikes in North America themselves. I mean does Honda America have a US distributor?

Steve
“Those who have a 'why' to live, can bear with almost any 'how'.”
― Viktor E. Frankl

phoenixt

• Neophyte
  • "All that is rare is for the rare" Nietzsche
« Reply #9 on: July 31, 2014, 11:53:25 PM »
The_Rigger, they have production of over 250,000 units now and I think they are aiming for more. They are facing new competition from Harley and others in their domestic market. I am thinking they see a lot of potential here. I also believe their margins may be better in the US market too.

Steve
“Those who have a 'why' to live, can bear with almost any 'how'.”
― Viktor E. Frankl