HPRE

Menu

Members Rides

Temp

in
Members Rides

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 06, 2015, 05:44:26 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: catastrophic(?) engine failure  (Read 1099 times)

no bs

• Grease Monkey
  • if it's got two wheels i'm on it
Re: catastrophic(?) engine failure
« Reply #75 on: March 05, 2015, 06:02:58 PM »
if by pushed harder you mean keeping up with traffic on I-80 during commute, then yes. probably.
killing bugs since 1972 2011 g5 deluxe

singhg5

• Grand Gearhead
« Reply #76 on: March 05, 2015, 07:38:20 PM »
Beyond basic servicing I'm no mechanic, but it makes me think that replacing the valve might be a worthwhile preventative project.

Mind you I stick to 90 or 95kph as my top speed,
?

This is just my opinion that there is no need of knee jerk reaction for replacing exhaust valve of all the bikes or create fear amongst riders that their engine is ready to explode at any time.

There are thousands of REs running for several years without any issue with exhaust valve. Of the very few cases that have only recently come to light, the cause of broken valve has not been established. A part can break by conditions unrelated to the part itself - abuse, overheating, lack of oil, blocked oil channel, alignment, valve spring, etc. etc... Until the cause is known and fully established, how will replacing the valve fix the problem ?

If you are riding at 90 to 95 kph as your top speed, that is perfectly within the engine limits - best way to ride RE - enjoy the leisurely ride, it is made for that :).

There should be thorough examination of these engines by knowledgeable experts (such as ACE.CAFE), get detailed information from the owner of riding conditions, riding history and other relevant information that aids in finding the cause.

At this moment, all the options are open including finding fault with the valve itself. To pursue that angle, find out from factory records (if possible) whether these bikes were fitted with the same batch of exhaust valves from a particular supplier. Sometimes one batch from a manufacturer has a few pieces that are at the edge of specifications. They get fitted and their weakness or abnormality is seen several months or years after use. With so few cases, it is highly unlikely that there will be such detailed inquiry that will link these 3 or so cases across the globe. The most likely scenario is that the bikes will be repaired and be back on the road.

In the meantime, ride the bike as its supposed to be and enjoy the thump ;)
« Last Edit: March 05, 2015, 07:53:06 PM by singhg5 »
1970's Jawa /  Yezdi
2006 Honda Nighthawk
2009 Royal Enfield Black G5

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
  • World leaders in racing or performance Bullets
« Reply #77 on: March 05, 2015, 08:20:46 PM »
I agree that there is no reason for panic at this time.
The reports are relatively few, and scattered.
There is no indication that this is any kind of pandemic of valve failures. It is just a few that have been reported so far. But it is something to watch.