HPRE

Menu

Members Rides

Lady in Red

in
Members Rides

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
October 01, 2014, 04:38:59 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Are 2014's Built In New Factory?  (Read 67 times)

crock

• Neophyte
Are 2014's Built In New Factory?
« on: Today at 06:30:04 AM »
Are the C5 2014's built in the new factory, or is it still just the GT's? After dealing with a friend's bike I am now wanting to buy one for myself but I think the quality might be better if I wait until they roll off the new assembly line.

JVS

• Grand Gearhead
  • I love chicken
Re: Are 2014's Built In New Factory?
« Reply #1 on: Today at 09:01:02 AM »
Most likely. Maybe Kevin Mahoney can confirm.

Another thing you can do is check the VIN. For Europe and rest of the world, the VIN includes a character for "assembly factory". However, for the US, this is replaced by "place of manufacture". On the VIN plate, the last six digits = engine number. Just before those digits is the "place of manufacture" character. You can have a look at that.

Both factories are in Chennai, old one is in Tiruvottiyur and the new one is in Oragadam. So I'm assuming that the place of manufacture might have an O or T or even I for India. Not sure  :-\ On my VIN plate, it says C for "assembly factory", and this was before they opened the new factory. So I assume the C is for Chennai, lol.
Sons continuing wars, our fathers were enemies

mattsz

• Grand Gearhead
  • moto-gurdyist
« Reply #2 on: Today at 11:02:30 AM »
Not sure exactly, but IIRC, in all those news reels announcing the new factory opening, "Desert Storm C5's were shown rolling off the line...

pmanaz1973

• Scooter
« Reply #3 on: Today at 02:11:57 PM »
I recall hearing that some were made in the new factory as well. 

Either way, I have a 2014 C5 and my bike compared to a friends 2012 C5 was obviously built with a better eye to detail.  My paint is perfect, no hairs, grit, etc.  It has inspection stickers all over the place; my fuse box is clean and labeled; headlight wiring is tidy and in rubber protectors; welds seem professional and clean; rims are evenly polished and without weird casting marks like his.  In general my bike runs smoother and has minimal vibration.  Maybe I got luckily, but I've heard the same from others who have 2014 C5s. 
1991 XR250L (traded for)
1976 Harley XLH 1000 (blew up)
1993 CBR 600 (sold for)
1976 Norton Commando 850 (traded for)
1972 BMW R75/5 (sold)
2014 Royal Enfield C5