HPRE

Menu

Members Rides

05 Classic

in
Members Rides

76 Guests, 4 Users
solg, flyman, rvcycleguy, kodai
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 02, 2015, 07:14:50 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Aerostich or Lee Parks gloves  (Read 255 times)

singhg5

• Grand Gearhead
Re: Aerostich or Lee Parks gloves
« Reply #15 on: March 01, 2015, 04:42:59 AM »
What temperature range are the Aerostitch Elkskin gloves or Parks Lee gloves good for ?   
1970's Jawa /  Yezdi
2006 Honda Nighthawk
2009 Royal Enfield Black G5

Chuck D

• Grand Gearhead
« Reply #16 on: March 01, 2015, 01:02:09 PM »
What temperature range are the Aerostitch Elkskin gloves or Parks Lee gloves good for ?   
Hey Singh!,
Leathers, while being tough and extremely abrasion resistant don't insulate body heat particularly well on their own.
I mentioned I have two pairs of the Lee Parks gloves. My main summer pair I bought to fit skin tight to facilitate my manual dexterity and they do remarkable job at that but I'm digressing. That pair is comfortable for me in a still air temperature down to the low 50's degrees, American.
My other pair have just enough slack to slip in a thin merino wool liner and that nets me another 10-15 degrees.
Any colder than that, say mid to low 30'sF an I break out my Mongo's
https://www.foxcreekleather.com/products/716-fcl-drawstring-gauntlet-lined?display_category_id=70
I'll stick an extra wool liner in them depending.
I've done hour rides in those at or slightly below freezing.
Colder than that, I take the bus.
2006 Bullet Sixty-5 w/ Ace "Fireball 535" Kit (#10)
Ace "GP" head on the shelf and waiting.
Featherbed frame conversion underway @ http://instagram.com/rofomoto1

cstorckiii

• Scooter
  • In tune with the ancient line of Moto
« Reply #17 on: Today at 01:18:06 AM »
Have you looked into Churchill Gloves? Deerskin, curved to the hand, and less expensive.
With a 500cc Bullet under your ass, the world is in your fist.

Grant Borden

• It's Time to Ride!
  • Scooter
« Reply #18 on: Today at 01:36:28 AM »
Singhg,

Living in Tennessee the winter is normally mild, I ride in temperatures ranging from lows of low 40's to low 90's year round wearing my Elk Skin Aerostich gloves. I have National Cycle hand deflectors during winter, at temps. below upper 40's I also wear silk glove liners. Hope this helps.

Grant
2014 Royal Enfield C5 (Lizzie AKA Elsie)
2008 Kawasaki Concours14
1993 Moto Guzzi Daytona 1000
1980 Vespa P200E
1976 Bmw R60/6

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
« Reply #19 on: Today at 05:16:52 AM »
Chuck D, I went out and looked at some deer skin gloves at the local shop.  They are a really nice material.  I think I'll be looking for deerskin for sure now.  I love the dexterity and soft feel.

Dave1, Fox Creek looks like good stuff too.

Grant, I've been eyeing the boots too.  I'd love to get a set of boots that will last forever and can be resoled instead of disposed of.  The Aerostich look a bit clunky and hot for warm weather.  Are they?  I'm not an adventure tour guy.  I just want something light and comfortable, mid calf or so, with armor, and waterproof.

cstorckiii, Churchill gloves look nice, not sure they (or anyone else) has exactly what I want.  I want a seamless deerskin palm for comfort and dexterity, unlined, and short cuff to cover the jacket, preferable with something to cinch it up.  I'll probably get another pair without a cuff for summer but right now it's not summer ;)

Lots of good stuff.  From what I hear, the Aerostich unlined can be a bit tough to get the cuff over your jacket.  The lee parks and some others look like they go almost to your elbow.  Still looking, I'm sure I'll pick something soon.  Thanks for all the input.

Scott

Grant Borden

• It's Time to Ride!
  • Scooter
« Reply #20 on: Today at 01:07:32 PM »
Ducati Scotty,

I've owned Aerostich Combat Lite boots for several years, once broken in they are very comfortable, I'm on my second pair because of a crash a few years back. They are heavy to me when first putting them on but as one becomes accustom to wearing them it is not very noticeable. I wear them while riding my RE and also my Guzzi sport bike without any problem operating the foot controls. I noticed they were hot but not any warmer to me than my old BMW boots in mid to upper 90's riding through the Badlands in South Dakota a couple of years ago. I also find them comfortable for walking giving much support to my 70+ year old feet. I did buy the current pair on Ebay for slightly less than half price because the first owner was unhappy after wearing the on one ride.

Grant
2014 Royal Enfield C5 (Lizzie AKA Elsie)
2008 Kawasaki Concours14
1993 Moto Guzzi Daytona 1000
1980 Vespa P200E
1976 Bmw R60/6

Dave1

• Scooter
« Reply #21 on: Today at 06:17:13 PM »
Just thought I would add that Goldtop are back producing top quality products. Goldtop are a British Motorcycle leathers brand, that was very popular in the 50's and 60's. A lot of cafe racers used them, not only cafe racers but the police too. There gloves, gauntlets, and boots were very well known.

Thought I'd mention this here because there has been a lot of talk recently on these forums of authentic cafe racing machines and culture.

http://www.goldtop-uk.com/#!gloves/c1p77