Menu

Members Rides

New and loving it

in
Members Rides

54 Guests, 5 Users (1 Hidden)
1 Thump, azcatfan, jammydodger, Barnone
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 18, 2014, 11:02:26 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: False neutral?  (Read 152 times)

sbenson619

• Neophyte
False neutral?
« on: April 16, 2014, 12:20:33 PM »
Hey guys sorry for all these questions but your help has been a lifesaver.
Sometimes when I shift from 3rd to 4th it doesn't go into gear and it just revs the engine. I then have to shift up to 5th and the back down to 4th. I looked online and someone said it could be a break in since mine only has 300 miles and some others said that you have to shift with a little force into 4th. Could just be me. Any advice or ideas would help. I did already change the oil.
2012 RE C5 military
Thanks!

Rich Mintz

• Grease Monkey
  • Daily rider in the city
Re: False neutral?
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2014, 12:57:26 PM »
If you search this forum you'll learn that the shifters are sticky and quirky, especially when the bike is new. It does get easier, both because the bike breaks in and because you learn to adjust your foot movements.

So you're probably just seeing a normal break in problem. However, I developed an issue with my bike (at about 4000 miles) where it wouldn't hold in 4th gear -- it fell out into 3rd unless I held it with my foot. This was a defect and my dealer fixed it under warranty at no charge.

If you look at my posts, you'll see I had a lot of trouble with my bike in the first year. That isn't typical. They're quirky, but in their own way they're reliable.

ROVERMAN

• Grand Gearhead
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2014, 01:21:03 PM »
I might suggest, if you can swing it, to get a trusted motorcycle friend to confirm the issue and maybe eliminate the user error possibility. Otherwise it sounds like a dealer warranty issue. I am lucky to have such a faultless shift in the GREen B.
Roverman.

barenekd

• Grand Gearhead
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2014, 02:37:40 PM »
Very common with new bikes. Be careful though about shifting hard. That will cause missed shifts, too You actually spin the shifter plate past the gear you selected into a false neutral between the next two gears. Just shift deliberately without overexerting anything. The shifting does get better, but it does take time. One thousand miles and thing start looking up.
And don't stomp on the gear lever. That can bend the fork at the end of the shifter shaft and cause the gearbox to hang up, usually in first. To help avoid that and improve the shifting, check the end play on the shifter shaft. just grab the lever and see how much you can pull it in and out. If it's an eighth of an inch or so, put some 3/4" washers behind the shift lever. You don't want it tight, leave about a 1/16" of play in the shaft.
Bare
2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Racer
2011 Black Classic G5 (RIP)
I refuse to tiptoe through life only to arrive safely at death
http://www.controllineplans.com

suitcasejefferson

• Bulleteer
« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2014, 07:29:53 PM »
I had shifting problems, including false neutrals, when I first got my bike new. After about 1000 miles things got much better. Don't back off the throttle too much, preload the shifter, and when upshifting, move it all the way up. If it doesn't want to move, don't force it. Blipping the throttle will usually help line things up. I was used to the snickity snick shifting of Japanese bikes, that really didn't care how you did it. The Enfield will get better as it breaks in and you get better at shifting it.
2013 Royal Enfield B5
2002 Kawasaki Vulcan 750
2001 Yamaha XT225
2012 Yamaha Zuma 125
2009 Genuine Stella 2 stroke
1980 Puch Maxi ZA50 2 speed
1971 VeloSolex S3800

mattsz

• Grand Gearhead
  • moto-gurdyist
« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2014, 08:38:28 PM »
+1.  Listen to your bike - it will teach you how to shift it...

Roeland

• Bulleteer
« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2014, 07:27:12 AM »
It also could be that the clutch is incorrectly adjusted.

azcatfan

• Bulleteer
  • 2002 Bullet ES
« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2014, 09:15:09 AM »
Does the UCE need the same rider input on shifting that the older bikes need? Clutch - shift and hold - release clutch while holding the shifter - release shifter while applying throttle. I've ridden a few UCE bikes, but this is now such a habit from riding my '02 I didn't notice anything different other than the shifter not being as sloppy.
-2002 Bullet ES Up-Jetted with Ace Air Canister and punched HD Exhaust.

REdmonton

• Bulleteer
« Reply #8 on: Today at 01:22:02 AM »
3rd to 4th seems to be an issue with many Enfields. You can't flick it into gear like some bikes, Enfields seem to like a longer slower shift.