HPRE

Menu

Members Rides

Goshen Pass Rt 39, VA

in
Members Rides

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
July 22, 2014, 07:32:51 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Another eletrical problem solved  (Read 113 times)

shamelin

• Bulleteer
Another eletrical problem solved
« on: Today at 03:40:29 AM »
Posting my experience about an electrical failure that I solved tonight.  Full disclosure- the electrical failure was my own fault from a colossally stupid mistake, but if one person can do it, then two people can.  Hopefully that other person reads this.

Background: I took my Triumph out for a long weekend ride and wanted to have some battery tender leads on it to hook up a USB charger for phone, bluetooth receiver, etc.  The only leads I had were on my 2011 B5, so I pulled the battery and took the leads.  While the battery was out, I though "hey, I should charge it up".  So I put it on my workbench and hooked it up to the battery tender and all was well.  However, in the process of putting the battery back in the B5 and muscling the ill-fitting battery cover, I inadvertently made contact between the battery cover and both +/- battery leads.  Sparks, crackling, smoke and everything.  Pulled the cover off, readjusted things, and got it back where it needs to be.  As a precaution, I tried starting the B5 to see if there was any electrical damage, and the bike wouldn't start.

Symptoms: The MIL indicator stayed on once I turned the key.  No blinking codes, just a constant light and whirring, just like you get when you first turn the bike on.  Engaging the starter did nothing, except drop the voltage a bit (the MIL light dimmed).  Kickstarting wouldn't help.  A funny other bit of info- the neutral light stayed on no matter what gear the bike was in.

Testing: Took out the multimeter and first tested the battery- 12.9V, so that was good.  Next pulled all fuses and visually inspected them- no problems there.  Also tested them for continuity just to be sure and they were OK.  Pulled all the relays and tested them with alligator clips attached to the battery- all of them were functioning fine.  Nothing simple it seemed.  Now it was time to check the solenoid and starter.  Took my seat off and removed the solenoid from the frame, only to discover what the problem was.  The big wire from the solenoid was going to the negative battery terminal.

Yep, I had somehow managed to put the + cable on the - terminal and vice versa when I reinstalled my battery.

I still don't know how I managed to do it, but I did.  I feel pretty foolish, but wanted to put this out there in case anyone else notices the same issues.  All in all, no major harm done, and the only thing it cost to fix was some of my pride.

gashousegorilla

• Grand Gearhead
Re: Another eletrical problem solved
« Reply #1 on: Today at 04:40:00 AM »
 LOL !   Don't feel bad, been there....
An thaibhsí atá rattling ag an doras agus tá sé an diabhal sa chathaoir.

bluesdaddy2

• Bulleteer
« Reply #2 on: Today at 10:39:00 AM »
LOL !   Don't feel bad, been there....

I'd say we've all been there a time or two just not so willing to spill our guts about it.  Thanks for sharing.
2012 Royal Enfield C5 Chrome/Black
1938 Harley-Davidson Model U (patiently waiting some TLC)
1975 HD Sportster (Gone but not forgotten)

Ilion, NY
Vergennes, VT

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
« Reply #3 on: Today at 05:28:44 PM »
Yeah, I put red heat shrink on the positive lead when I re-did them.  'Cause that sounds exactly like something I'd do.

What is it someone here once said?  When something is broken, the first place to look is the last place you 'fixed' something. ;)

Scott