HPRE

Menu

Members Rides

so cold in yang-ju, korea

in
Members Rides

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
July 04, 2015, 06:52:40 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Rear tire bead lock  (Read 160 times)

rtillery02

• R.Tillery
  • Scooter
  • 2012 C5 Bullet Classic / 2002 Iron Barrel
Rear tire bead lock
« on: June 22, 2015, 09:32:32 AM »
1st time ever to install a bead lock on a rim that's not already equipped with one. What size would I need for a stock rear rim? (That clutch upgrade REALLY made a big difference, even my drive chain is stretchin a bit more lately.) Any thoughts & tips on installing a bead lock is appreciated, Thanks, R.Tillery 
Some Folks Grow Old & Wise, &
Some Folks Just Grow Old.

Blltrdr

• Grand Gearhead
  • cycle-delic music
Re: Rear tire bead lock
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2015, 10:08:26 AM »
Not sure you really need one. Why do you need to install one? Is your tube stem moving on you? Usually used on off road bikes that use lower pressures to keep the tire from rotating and damaging the tube stem. You will have to drill a hole opposite the tube stem hole for the rim lock.
2003 Classic 500 5 spd
2009 HD FLHTPI Police 103
1992 Kawasaki ZG 1200 Voyager XII
1977 Yamaha XS 360-2D (Cafe Project)

Hondo

• Bulleteer
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2015, 04:35:44 PM »
Did you use some type of lube to mount your tire?

High On Octane

• Grand Gearhead
  • Go Fast & Look Good Doing It
« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2015, 07:12:23 AM »
I could see wanting a rim lock for the rear tire.  I tore my valve stem last year from what I assume was too aggressive of downshifting.  I don't know about the IB bikes, but my old twin actually has several (4 total I believe) holes in the rim already for use with the valve stem or a rim lock.

Here's a link to Bike Bandit.  I would assume you will need to 2.5" version, but you would need to take the tire off the wheel and measure that inside width to see if 2.5" will work or not.

http://www.bikebandit.com/aftermarket-parts/motorcycle-wheels-and-final-drive/wheel-parts-accessories-universal/motion-pro-rim-lock
Scottie J  ~  Bulldog Kustoms Denver  ~  1958 Enfield/Indian Trailblazer - The Blackhawk

rtillery02

• R.Tillery
  • Scooter
« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2015, 10:20:24 AM »
The 1st time the stem was ripped off I contributed it to low tire pressure & overlube @ the bead seal point, so, on remount I cleaned & dried bead (tire & rim)& inside tire with a bit of baby powder & a new rim band. Used NO lube on installation & all went well. Just for safe measures, I left the stem nut away from the rim & backed it tight against the cap & marked the tire & rim with a paint marker. The first 7 mile ride to work, the dang tire marks were off almost 1/2 inch & the stem is @ a serious angle so it's still movin on acceleration. I'm thinkin rim/bead lock but am open for other suggestions, any thoughts? Thanks.

Blltrdr

• Grand Gearhead
  • cycle-delic music
« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2015, 03:14:20 PM »
Wow that is crazy, have never experienced anything like you describe. What size of tire are you using and what make? What pressure do you keep in it? Is the tire bead set on the rim correctly? Like Scottie mentioned, downshifting hard could maybe rotate it some but have never experienced that myself doing downshifting where I actually would chirp the tire (old skidmaster). Has to be something simple to fix.
2003 Classic 500 5 spd
2009 HD FLHTPI Police 103
1992 Kawasaki ZG 1200 Voyager XII
1977 Yamaha XS 360-2D (Cafe Project)

rtillery02

• R.Tillery
  • Scooter
« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2015, 09:47:57 AM »
Yeah, it's the typical 19 inch Avon safety mileage MkII, not dry rotted & plenty of tread left on it, good elasticity. I don't recall ever havin an issue quite like this before, but, I think some rim drillin & tire balancing may be in my future.